Ollie Withdrawing from OKC Consideration | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie Withdrawing from OKC Consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why does he have to withdraw if he already stated he was not interested in another job. Is he just telling OKC to leave him alone, he's not taking it, before they offer it to him
To withdraw you have to be a candidate right? Or is Rothstein's story merely a way to smooth the narrative.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He should of done this from the beginning. All this does is hurt our recruiting and it is bad enough without this going on.
I've come to the conclusion that there is no denial, no matter how clearly of succinctly worded that would be picked to death on this board with a bunch of "what he shoulda said" posts.

Glad to have here coach!

Reaction Score
He should of done this from the beginning. All this does is hurt our recruiting and it is bad enough without this going on.

he made an official statement. even made mention of it on social media.

oh and by the way, its "should have" not "should of."

ie "you should have counted to ten before making such an assanine post.

Reaction Score
This is what I don't really get about this thread, and I suppose it's because I don't buy what I guess is now conventional wisdom on here, that the Ollie to OKC rumors were the coordinated efforts of a group of writers (or coaches, maybe, I can't keep track) to damage UConn's recruiting.

Sportswriters get these things wrong all the time. All. The. Time. It's part of the gig. When have you ever seen a reporter then write an article about how he was wrong about the rumor he was reporting or, even crazier, apologize to the subject of the rumor?

Reaction Score
he made an official statement. even made mention of it on social media.

oh and by the way, its "should have" not "should of."

ie "you should have counted to ten before making such an assanine post.

Not even close on asinine. Should be a prerequisite to the grammar lecture.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is what I don't really get about this thread, and I suppose it's because I don't buy what I guess is now conventional wisdom on here, that the Ollie to OKC rumors were the coordinated efforts of a group of writers (or coaches, maybe, I can't keep track) to damage UConn's recruiting.

Sportswriters get these things wrong all the time. All. The. Time. It's part of the gig. When have you ever seen a reporter then write an article about how he was wrong about the rumor he was reporting or, even crazier, apologize to the subject of the rumor?
A few weeks back.

Reaction Score
You don't thing that withdrawing one's name is more Of a final resolution than "no plans to pursue"?

No, it's the same exact thing. The only reason he didn't specifically refer to OKC in yesterday's statement was because Brooks hadn't even been canned yet.

Zags and Woj just trolled you guys.

Reaction Score

Not coordinated just a couple of guys who have clearly had an axe to grind with UConn for years.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"The story was made up ..."

Adrian Woj, Adam Zagoria and host of others ... making things up & many targeting our fine University with scurrilous lies? Ain't like we haven't seen this before.

Reaction Score
Meantime, Bovada has installed Florida coach Billy Donovan as an 11/10 favorite to be the next Thunder coach. Ollie was listed at 9/4.

Is it just me or is it strange that Zagoria likes to list Bovada odds a lot on likely outcomes of something happening?
It's not strange when you consider the fact that he has no sources.

Reaction Score
"The story was made up ..."

Adrian Woj, Adam Zagoria and host of others ... making things up & many targeting our fine University with scurrilous lies? Ain't like we haven't seen this before.
Some of us fans knew this was the case, next time these "journalists" spread some rumors about Ollie or write a hatchet job on UConn, we will point to this and once again there will be some fans that say these guys are just doing their jobs and there is no ill will towards UConn.

Reaction Score

It is a cabal ...

Recently (within the last month), I had a tweet/email exchange with a certain NYT sports-reporter. The threshold essence of the string of correspondence was that Jim Calhoun was hated in the world of coaches & sports-reporters (and this guy loves Geno). And, he consistently repeats a pet Statistics - 8% of UConn MBB have graduated in the Calhoun/Ollie era. Demonstrably false I told him. How many guys came through the program since 1987? Start with 4 guys with degrees last year & 3 this year. It just gets repeated BECAUSE they didn't like a crusty Irishman verbally pushing back. (and frankly, I get some of that ... but I am subtle enough intellectually to also to see Calhoun's brilliance in narrative of the game of BB and facing life challenges).

The further conversation was about the swath of writers who line up with other coaches ... and happily toss grenades; and the coaches who are connected.

Like many things, when something feels like it is happening ... there is truth there.

Reaction Score
No, it's the same exact thing. The only reason he didn't specifically refer to OKC in yesterday's statement was because Brooks hadn't even been canned yet.

Zags and Woj just trolled you guys.
Fine what if he said he was withdrawing his name from any NBA consideration?
Let's not pretend that coaches can only get jobs in the NBA if THEY are the pursuer.
Hell his agents email today of having no intention of leaving his great position at UConn could have been the one KO used yesterday.
All I'm saying is his words yesterday weren't as bulletproof as the ones today - intentionally or unintentionally.

Reaction Score
The problem is there is absolutely no integrity among these 24/7 social media types. They run with anything they pick up having a latte at McDonald's. They get it off by beating each other with so-called scoops, and trust that their audience forgets all their flops as they jump to the next hot story.

What we know is that in Kevin Ollie we have somebody who represents UConn exceptionalism. The man has integrity, and that is only the beginning.

Reaction Score
My heart dropped while watching ESPN and seeing Breaking News!: Sources close to Kevin Ollie....(heart drops) have said Kevin Ollie will remain the coach for the UConn Huskies. WHY THEY GOT TO MAKE THAT BREAKING NEWS?!?

Reaction Score
Why does he have to withdraw if he already stated he was not interested in another job. Is he just telling OKC to leave him alone, he's not taking it, before they offer it to him

He is talking to recruits and media talking heads.

Reaction Score

It didn't hurt our recruiting one iota. Nobody that was making a decision who committed to another school in the last week was considering UCONN. Not one recruit decommitted or wavered on their decision. If anything all it did was put his name in "great college coaches who are NBA caliber and highly sought after" category as well as "extremely loyal, and has a passion a love for UCONN basketball" and makes those recruits probably think "UCONN basketball must really be something special". All it did was give our coach 1 week of great publicity and recognition for his talent. Not to mention he made a statement a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom