Ollie Offers Malik Beasley | The Boneyard

Ollie Offers Malik Beasley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@MaLiKK_5: Coach Ollie and his UCONN staff has called and offered me! #uconn #huskies

He's a major riser from this spring.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
@MaLiKK_5: Coach Ollie and his UCONN staff has called and offered me! #uconn #huskies

He's a major riser from this spring.

Another 2015 SG? It would be very interesting to be a fly on the wall listening to the strategy about who to offer.

If he were to just accept, would that kill the Stone/Newman combo deal?

Reaction Score
I am not a follower of recruiting (i.e. offers) and am somewhat ignorant of how it all works. But how many offers do we have out there? It seems we add one or two a week.

What if a player accepts, are we committed to him? You know, one less schollie/player.

Reaction Score
But how many offers do we have out there?

What if a player accepts, are we committed to him? You know, one less schollie/player.
We must have dozens out there.

I don't believe you can just retract offers once they've been accepted.

Reaction Score
Well we are certainly casting a wide net. I'm sure Ollie believes he can make the most out of any of the guys that reciprocate. Feels like perhaps we are trying to secure 5 for 2015 despite only have 4 available schollies at the moment. I'm still hoping for some combo of Newman/Stone/Enoch/Jones. Makes me think we are further and further out of the Briscoe sweepstakes. Too bad. I also hope that all these newer offers aren't some sign that we are hedging our bets that we might not land Newman. It's exciting stuff to be sure!

Reaction Score
Ollie has a wide net when it comes to recruiting. He has a plan a b c d e f etc...
Calhoun got burned a few times when he was to focus ed on small group

caw

Reaction Score
Hes a large reason Turtle played "out of position" and didn't get as many touches during AAU. I think I saw him play once but I wasn't paying attention to him as much as Turtle.

Reaction Score

Are you being serious or kidding with that last remark?

I don't know all the ins and outs of recruiting but no offer is binding till an LOI is signed and delivered. What I believe happens, is a coach tells a player something like, "I'd like to offer you a scholarship..." In most of these cases, unless they are priority #1 or the HC is at the point where he's tells the recruits at a given position, whoever accepts the offer first gets the ship, it's what I would call a soft offer. Many coaches tell the recruit they would like to have them on an official visit before the offer is officially extended. Sometimes the program wants to see their transcript and scores early fall before it's a true offer. And sometimes a recruit takes a comment from a coach, which is not really a true offer, and runs with in via twitter or whatever medium to attract more offers.

I have no idea what the case is with Beasley. It just might be that he's the one KO wants most and doesn't want to wait till Stone and Newman to make up their mind, if they're saying they won't decide till sometime in the fall or even later. Or maybe this is to put pressure on the recruits he wants more. It's hard if not impossible to find out what's driving these things. I tend to think he's a plan B, C type of interest, but I'm purely guessing.

Reaction Score
I am not a follower of recruiting (i.e. offers) and am somewhat ignorant of how it all works. But how many offers do we have out there? It seems we add one or two a week.

At last count, from a thread not too long ago, I think we had offered 36 or 37 for an anticipated 4 spots. Been involved in these discussions before with my opinion gradually devolving into "the recruiting business blows."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These days, an offer is granted so early in the recruiting process that there is basically a 0% chance that it will be accepted right away. Everybody offers early, so if you don't, the player might think "you don't want him" as badly as the other schools do. Some schools differentiate themselves by only offering in person when a player is visiting campus, but most places hand out offers all over the place.

But this doesn't create that much of a problem. There may be some guys that Ollie offered months ago but if Uconn is no longer actively recruiting that player, he isn't just going to call up Ollie out of the blue and say "Hey coach, I know we haven't talked in 3 months, but I accept!" To use another example, I would bet that Ollie is telling Newman, Briscoe, and whoever else that he can only take one more guard in this class now that Adams is on board. So if Newman commits tomorrow, all of those other guards are probably out of luck - even though they all still technically have offers to Uconn.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
These days, an offer is granted so early in the recruiting process that there is basically a 0% chance that it will be accepted right away. Everybody offers early, so if you don't, the player might think "you don't want him" as badly as the other schools do. Some schools differentiate themselves by only offering in person when a player is visiting campus, but most places hand out offers all over the place.

But this doesn't create that much of a problem. There may be some guys that Ollie offered months ago but if Uconn is no longer actively recruiting that player, he isn't just going to call up Ollie out of the blue and say "Hey coach, I know we haven't talked in 3 months, but I accept!" To use another example, I would bet that Ollie is telling Newman, Briscoe, and whoever else that he can only take one more guard in this class now that Adams is on board. So if Newman commits tomorrow, all of those other guards are probably out of luck - even though they all still technically have offers to Uconn.

There are maybe 3-4 schools that can get away without offering a kid early ad still getting the kid. Duke, UNC, UK and maybe UF. Even they lose out sometimes

Reaction Score

Sure you can. It's not smart and some might say unethical, but you can absolutely retract an offer if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom