Ollie grooming Bazz to raise his draft stock | The Boneyard

Ollie grooming Bazz to raise his draft stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Bazz is lucky to have a coach as smart as Ollie, who knows better than anyone how to get into and stick in the league. Ollie was a great player (loved him), but I think 'bazz is a more talented scorer and perhaps quicker. That being said, Bazz should count himself fortunate if he can put together a career like Ollie did in the NBA.

I for one am not troubled by Bazz's lack of points in the exhibitions. In fact, I am guessing that Ollie is orchestrating Bazz's lack of shots to position him for the draft. Bazz racked up assists while on the floor. Watching him dribble and control the ball, it was clear that he was in a different league and could have gotten to the basket at will against Concordia or Southern. That wasn't what Ollie wanted him to work on during the exhibitions when Bazz "looked in the mirror at himself rather than the competition through the window".

Scouts are not going to look at Bazz's point production as much as how he defends and makes his team better. In 2011, if Kemba didn't score we were in trouble. This year, Boatright, DD, Kromah, Giffey, or Calhoun can be a 20 point scorer on a given night. If 'Bazz becomes the engine that makes the team go, handles the ball, distributes, has a solid assist to turnover ratio, plays inspired D, gets steals, shoots at a high percentage, and goes off in a few games when necessary to show that he has the capacity, his draft stock will most definitely rise.

Ollie knows what it takes to get into and stick in the league. Bazz is not going to be drafted high to score. In order to be a high draft pick, particularly in this draft, he's going to have to show he is the best floor general in the NCAA and he has the perfect coach, as well as the experience as a senior, to do it. I'm really looking forward to watching him this year and seeing this team unfold.

Reaction Score
I don't think Bazz's play in these 2 exhibitions were really indicative of anything. He played the same way last year, to the point where I thought he hadn't fully recovered from his foot surgery, and then dropped 25 in the opener against MSU. These games were all about getting other guys involved and into a flow, Bazz and Boat will be in another gear once things tip off for real on Friday. I don't think Bazz will need to average 17 again because the rest of the team is better but I doubt he drops more than a couple ppg of his average with his assists going up by about 2 or 3. His assist numbers this past year would've probably matched what he put up his soph year if guys were able to consistently knock down shots and finish scoring opportunities.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
I don't think Bazz's play in these 2 exhibitions were really indicative of anything. He played the same way last year, to the point where I thought he hadn't fully recovered from his foot surgery, and then dropped 25 in the opener against MSU. These games were all about getting other guys involved and into a flow, Bazz and Boat will be in another gear once things tip off for real on Friday. I don't think Bazz will need to average 17 again because the rest of the team is better but I doubt he drops more than a couple ppg of his average with his assists going up by about 2 or 3. His assist numbers this past year would've probably matched what he put up his soph year if guys were able to consistently knock down shots and finish scoring opportunities.

Can't help but agree with you, Bazz and Boat were definitely pumping the breaks last night. Nevertheless, what was different from Bazz's performance last year to this year was the way that he was moving. When he faked going behind the back then brought the ball in front for a bounce pass to set up an open 3 for Tolksdorf in the corner, he looked special. Also, the way his handle looked, it seemed to me like he has jumped another level. I am expecting a Marcus Williams type season out of him with better scoring/shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom