Ollie/Foul Trouble/Patience | The Boneyard

Ollie/Foul Trouble/Patience

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Have to say I was impressed by how Ollie handled the foul trouble with Brimah and Nolan.

He had enough confidence and patience to give Olander one more possession, but once it was evident that was going to kill them he pulled the plug.

Not an accident he's 5-0.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I actually thought it was genius to put in TO at the end of the first half and screw all of UF's final possessions that half by making Young shoot 1-1s. He missed the front ends of both.

Reaction Score
I actually thought it was genius to put in TO at the end of the first half and screw all of UF's final possessions that half by making Young shoot 1-1s. He missed the front ends of both.

Yes, that part I didn't mind.

It was inexplicable to leave Olander in after calling timeout when Florida had spent 2-3 consecutive possessions abusing Olander on defense, while he gummed up the works on offense. That was borderline insane and, if we hadn't recovered quickly thereafter, could have cost us the game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I'd say it was genius if they had meant to do it.

Reaction Score
Agree he handled it very well.

But it shouldn't have happened if they called the game evenly, which is my biggest fear for Monday.

The referees should have to have played somewhere, anywhere to be able to ref division 1 college basketball. If they're "by the book" refs they can't understand or grasp the game well enough to make the correct judgments or calls………the worst call in the game right now and the one they get wrong the most is simple:

Offensive guy going to the hole and the defensive guy staying in his way, the o-guy makes the contact happen because he wants to get to the hole and then BLOW - immediate whistle!! For what? Do these guy shave to run away and let the offensive dude just go straight to the hole. There has to be contact, some and as long it's not a block and he's not reaching you cannot call immediate contact which is led by the offensive guy, can't!! The continuously do it and I'm a big believer in most of these guys never played the game since 6th grade……..need more "players" who understand the game putting on the stripes not insurance guys looking to make a buck.

Our foul trouble was from many of those calls, Giffey, Brimah, Nolan all had one or 2 and they are at very best questionable…….can't ask the kids to run away from the play. They need to figure that out or get people who know the game!!

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Agree he handled it very well.

But it shouldn't have happened if they called the game evenly, which is my biggest fear for Monday.
Florida got plenty of calls last night, Young had a huge game (and he's dominated UK, dominated Randle one game), and we still dominated overall. We just need to keep it close on the glass and limit their guards. Keeping them, as freshmen, in high pressure can lead to plenty of mistakes both moving around on the perimeter and getting it inside, which is what they will be looking to do all game.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I'd say it was genius if they had meant to do it.
One was completely away from the ball where TO literally hooked up both of Young's arms and started bodying him out. He was basically begging for a call.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Florida got plenty of calls last night, Young had a huge game (and he's dominated UK, dominated Randle one game), and we still dominated overall. We just need to keep it close on the glass and limit their guards. Keeping them, as freshmen, in high pressure can lead to plenty of mistakes both moving around on the perimeter and getting it inside, which is what they will be looking to do all game.

I said this in another thread, but UK's guards had bad body language and mini tantrums when they started to struggle in the second half. Wisconsin then proceeded to shoot themselves in the foot (tentative), and 'save' UK. Our guards will not let up, and it'll be interesting to see how UK's react from 40 min of pressure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One was completely away from the ball where TO literally hooked up both of Young's arms and started bodying him out. He was basically begging for a call.

Yeah I didn't even think that was a foul.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The referees should have to have played somewhere, anywhere to be able to ref division 1 college basketball. If they're "by the book" refs they can't understand or grasp the game well enough to make the correct judgments or calls………the worst call in the game right now and the one they get wrong the most is simple:

Offensive guy going to the hole and the defensive guy staying in his way, the o-guy makes the contact happen because he wants to get to the hole and then BLOW - immediate whistle!! For what? Do these guy shave to run away and let the offensive dude just go straight to the hole. There has to be contact, some and as long it's not a block and he's not reaching you cannot call immediate contact which is led by the offensive guy, can't!!

Wisconsin got screwed on one of those calls late on Jackson imo. Totally had position down low, didn't move his feet, maybe leaned slightly, but it looked like he was trying to protect himself. UK guy just barreled into him. UK to the line, Jackson with 3.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Offensive guy going to the hole and the defensive guy staying in his way, the o-guy makes the contact happen because he wants to get to the hole and then BLOW - immediate whistle!! For what? Do these guy shave to run away and let the offensive dude just go straight to the hole. There has to be contact, some and as long it's not a block and he's not reaching you cannot call immediate contact which is led by the offensive guy, can't!! The continuously do it and I'm a big believer in most of these guys never played the game since 6th grade……..need more "players" who understand the game putting on the stripes not insurance guys looking to make a buck.

Our foul trouble was from many of those calls, Giffey, Brimah, Nolan all had one or 2 and they are at very best questionable…….can't ask the kids to run away from the play. They need to figure that out or get people who know the game!!

There is a lot of officiating that is "conventional wisdom" that is not in a rule book anywhere. My biggest problem is the way offensive fouls are called. Apparently, starting in the late 80's with Duke, it became necessary to fall backwards to draw a charge call. This is incredibly dangerous for everyone on the court, in addition to be obviously stupid for rewarding players for falling down.

Nolan had back to back calls where he went right at Young and got hammered, with no call, and then Young went right through Nolan at the other end and Nolan got called for a foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom