OK, Texas, Kansas, UCONN to Big Ten ?? Works for me. | The Boneyard

OK, Texas, Kansas, UCONN to Big Ten ?? Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since someone over there has been posting what is being said over here, though I would do the same in reverse.

Although just a post on a fan board, seems to me that we've come a long way in a few months.

Oklahoma, ready to blow up the Big 12 and bring some high profile friends to the Big Ten???

Not too long ago this would have been a logistical impossibility with little brothers, networks, and all. Might still be, but thoughts sure have changed.

Can we let @okielite back in for one response to this? :)

After 10 of the threads and hundreds of hrs of reading these posts..... I think I'm ready to make a prediction:

Oklahoma
Texas
Kansas
UCONN
Will join the BIG 10... The money the tradition and the academics will be the deciding factors.

http://www.landthieves.com/board/sh...Sure-Why-Not&p=2400957&viewfull=1#post2400957

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Since someone over there has been posting what is being said over here, though I would do the same in reverse.

Although just a post on a fan board, seems to me that we've come a long way in a few months.

Oklahoma, ready to blow up the Big 12 and bring some high profile friends to the Big Ten???

Not too long ago this would have been a logistical impossibility with little brothers, networks, and all. Might still be, but thoughts sure have changed.

Can we let @okielite back in for one response to this? :)

http://www.landthieves.com/board/sh...Sure-Why-Not&p=2400957&viewfull=1#post2400957

This scenario was floating around earlier in the month. Some guy that has been at that site and the VT cr board was going on about this earlier in the month. He claims to know Flugar's "source." I don't know if the poster this time has inside sources, but that board is so difficult to read. Again, not sure what ESPN gets out of this, except out from under the LHN's grasp.

On a personal note, I would love this. It would a fun conference in all sports. The basketball tourney would be incredible. Great games for the football championship. The Big10 just might register in the college baseball world. Business wise, it would be a knockout.

Reaction Score
Would die a happy man if this happened; but, I suspect that the B1G will jump to 16 or 20 members as noted before due to schedule issues with 18 members. Thus, if these 4 are added (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas & UConn), what are the other two programs to be added?

Reaction Score
Would die a happy man if this happened; but, I suspect that the B1G will jump to 16 or 20 members as noted before due to schedule issues with 18 members. Thus, if these 4 are added (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas & UConn), what are the other two programs to be added?
I'd say OK and K State are logical academics aside. Maybe Baylor Iowa St if the academics are an issue?

dayooper

Reaction Score

Depends on where they come from. If they can get an ACC team or two, some combination of VT, UVA, UNC, or GT would be my guess. Since that's not likely right now, here would be my guess on the options (I didn't say they were good ones).

Western Teams:

CSU - Great academics (AAU metrics are past some in the AAU), great market in the fastest growing state, brand new stadium. Do they even register in Denver? They really don't measure up to a Big10 school, but with UC as poor athletically as they are, it may be a great time to invest. Would the Mountain time zone be a negative?

Air Force - Great academics. In a populous city in the fastest growing state. Plays hockey, lacrosse and other Big10 sports. Good football tradition and a national brand. Like CSU, would the time zone hinder efforts? Can they compete in the Big10?

Houston/Rice - If Texas/Oklahoma/Nebraska demand another Texas school, these would be my choice. Huge market in a great town. Would not like either, but if Texas makes the stipulation, it's a small price to pay.

Tulane - Great academics in a great city. That's about it.

TTU - Not good academics in a horrible market.

Baylor - Small, private school in Waco. Has had multiple issues with their athletic programs. Seems like they operate like they are in the Wild West. Don't see them in the Big10.

TCU - I would love them in the Big10, but a small, private and not research based. Not going to happen.

ISU - AAU and that's about it. Only see them coming if it's needed to facilitate UT, KU, and OU.

OSU and KSU - Little brothers who would bring very little to the media contract.

Eastern Schools (assuming UConn is aboard):

WVU - Athletically, would be decent. Good football tradition with some small success in basketball. Horrible academics and market, but a nationally known program.

Buffalo - OK market, AAU school and it looks like they are willing to spend their money on athletics and their brand. Negatives? They are in Buffalo and their sports are not up to par, yet. Although they are AAU, they are not that highly rated.

UMass - AAU, plays sports, in Massachusetts. That's all I got.

Temple - No

ECU - 5th D1 program in the state of NC. Maybe ranks 4th out of the five.

My guess: they would wait for the ACC GoR to be close to expiring. Those options are brutal.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Depends on where they come from. If they can get an ACC team or two, some combination of VT, UVA, UNC, or GT would be my guess. Since that's not likely right now, here would be my guess on the options (I didn't say they were good ones).

My guess: they would wait for the ACC GoR to be close to expiring. Those options are brutal.

That would be my guess too. If the B1G added Texas, OU, KU and UConn, it easily becomes the most lucrative conference of all the power conferences. Adding those 4 schools strengthens the B1G's position in NYC and throughout the northeast while adding good markets like Dallas/Fort Worth, St Louis and Kansas City. I don't know what Oklahoma City/Tulsa's DMA ranking is, but it would surely bring those too.

To get to 20, if that's the ultimate end game (if this is indeed the next B1G move), then I would say the only other school from the B12 that would be considered would be Iowa State. But I don't think that add is much of a needle mover. I don't think Delaney wants to double down in Iowa like he does in NYC. I'd say waiting for the ACC GoR to expire and grab 2 from UNC/UVA/VT/GT is much more likely.

That conference would be absolutely insane in both revenue sports. Football would have Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Michigan State. Basketball would have UConn, Indiana, Michigan State, Kansas and, if it got that far, UNC. Huge TV markets? Check. Year-round content? Check. Huge TV money? CHECK. And as a bonus, Olympic sports like baseball, hockey, and soccer would get a huge boost too.

Makes sense to me. When is the press conference?

pj

Reaction Score
I agree they would wait for the ACC GoR and there might be a stampede of ACC teams trying to get into that conference.

If you had to pull from outside, maybe because part of an ESPN TV contract is an agreement not to accept schools from ACC or SEC, I'd seriously consider a long-term investment in Stony Brook. Similar to Buffalo but within an hour of NYC. Has farther to go athletically, but similar investments would be needed in each case, and upside is higher in Stony Brook. They have land to build athletic facilities too. They could be paired with either West Virginia, Iowa State, Colorado State, maybe Texas Tech.

By the way, UMass is not AAU.

Reaction Score
UMass - AAU, plays sports, in Massachusetts. That's all I got.

FYI, UMass is not AAU. Currently, of the AAU universities that play full-time D1 sports, specially football, the following schools are AAU and not in a P5 conference: 1) Rice, 2) Stony Brook, 3) Tulane, 4) Buffalo, and 5) UC Davis. Very slim pickings.

Thus, this excludes DIII schools, some of whom play D1 hockey and/or lacrosse like RPI and BU, the two Canadian Universities (McGill and Toronto), the Ivies, and a bunch of U Cal system schools.

https://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

Reaction Score
If the Big Ten is watching us and we're in the midst of at least a semi successful football season we absolutely need to bring a ton of fans to the Maryland game at MSG. Delany will likely be there.
I'll be there with two.can't wait for this night !!

Reaction Score
I agree they would wait for the ACC GoR and there might be a stampede of ACC teams trying to get into that conference.

If you had to pull from outside, maybe because part of an ESPN TV contract is an agreement not to accept schools from ACC or SEC, I'd seriously consider a long-term investment in Stony Brook. Similar to Buffalo but within an hour of NYC. Has farther to go athletically, but similar investments would be needed in each case, and upside is higher in Stony Brook. They have land to build athletic facilities too. They could be paired with either West Virginia, Iowa State, Colorado State, maybe Texas Tech.

By the way, UMass is not AAU.
Hahahaha Stony Brook.

Reaction Score
Out of pure naïveté or my inner business sense, the GoR is not going to be near the impediment those that preach its constraining component think.

You've got a new B1G TV contract coming. In all the variables, I see the potential of raising a $55/60m to $22m disparity per university per annum. Therefore, you can see your way clear to (1.) the financial wherewithal to litigate; and, (2.) the capacity to pay a perceived large dollar amount to break because the Present Value of the Cash Flow stream calculates to a much higher number. Plus, lots of benefits that accrue beyond the TV revenue.

This - from a Swofford view - was about football. It's evolving. This is about a major research consortium that is set to compete worldwide for future students & research dollars & prestige. The B1G institutions are far better positioned in this realm than all others. I suspect UVA, GA Tech & UNC see this as a platform that's attractive.

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
Out of pure naïveté or my inner business sense, the GoR is not going to be near the impediment those that preach its constraining component think.

You've got a new B1G TV contract coming. In all the variables, I see the potential of raising a $55/60m to $22m disparity per university per annum. Therefore, you can see your way clear to (1.) the financial wherewithal to litigate; and, (2.) the capacity to pay a perceived large dollar amount to break because the Present Value of the Cash Flow stream calculates to a much higher number. Plus, lots of benefits that accrue beyond the TV revenue.

This - from a Swofford view - was about football. It's evolving. This is about a major research consortium that is set to compete worldwide for future students & research dollars & prestige. The B1G institutions are far better positioned in this realm than all others. I suspect UVA, GA Tech & UNC see this as a platform that's attractive.

Oh, absolutely. The issue I have is that ESPN/Fox/Big10 have to work together. Unless ESPN wants to lose a valuable piece/pieces from the ACC, I assume those schools are off limits for now. I think the Big10 would jump at VT, but I don't think ESPN would go for it in this scenario. As a matter of fact, I think the Texas to the Big10 is a very far fetched idea. Still fun the think about, though.

Reaction Score
Not that I believe this scenario would ever happen, but its sure fun to imagine the possibility of it.

East- UM, OSU, PSU, MSU, RU, UMD, UCONN, PU, IU
West- UT, OU, UNL, UW, UIA, UMN, KU. NW, UIL

Incredibly balanced conferences with (3) 800 win club members in each division. Major additions to basketball, baseball, wrestling, volleyball, hockey, and other Olympic sports as well. This would be a money making machine. Unfortunately too many egos and agendas will keep something like this from ever happening. Cool to imagine it.

Reaction Score
That would be my guess too. If the B1G added Texas, OU, KU and UConn, it easily becomes the most lucrative conference of all the power conferences. Adding those 4 schools strengthens the B1G's position in NYC and throughout the northeast while adding good markets like Dallas/Fort Worth, St Louis and Kansas City. I don't know what Oklahoma City/Tulsa's DMA ranking is, but it would surely bring those too.

To get to 20, if that's the ultimate end game (if this is indeed the next B1G move), then I would say the only other school from the B12 that would be considered would be Iowa State. But I don't think that add is much of a needle mover. I don't think Delaney wants to double down in Iowa like he does in NYC. I'd say waiting for the ACC GoR to expire and grab 2 from UNC/UVA/VT/GT is much more likely.

That conference would be absolutely insane in both revenue sports. Football would have Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Michigan State. Basketball would have UConn, Indiana, Michigan State, Kansas and, if it got that far, UNC. Huge TV markets? Check. Year-round content? Check. Huge TV money? CHECK. And as a bonus, Olympic sports like baseball, hockey, and soccer would get a huge boost too.

Makes sense to me. When is the press conference?
Mid October to Early November, 2015 per 2 reliable sources

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Mid October to Early November, 2015 per 2 reliable sources

That's about the same time as year as the Rutgers/Maryland/Louisville shuffle went down. I hope you and your 2 reliable sources are spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom