Ohio St thinks we might be best buds with ESPN> | The Boneyard

Ohio St thinks we might be best buds with ESPN>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, amazed someone could think our success is anyway related to ESPN. They are the ones most responsible for us being left out in realignment and through the tourney most of their guys picked against us on every game from the second round on and were crowning Kentucky going into the finals. They only jumped on bandwagon once we won. On the woman's side better treatment but still some silly stuff. All we heard was about the sharp words between the coaches but it was the ND coach little Miss Muffet who was constantly insulting Geno and the program while he only said nice things about their program. Not to going to put down entire Ohio State fanbase as assuming it is one uninformed opinion.

Reaction Score
OSU and all their fans suck moose cocks. They are the most arrogant fans in all college period. If the slightest thing does not go their way, they start to whining and complaining until the end of time.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If you eventually join the Big10, you will learn much about the fan bases:

Ohio State has two types of fans - the alumni that are obsessed with everything OSU.

Then there are these types of fans:

Crying%20Buckeye.11.jpg

They can be a little whack-a-doodle sometimes.

Reaction Score
I read it & responded. They'll have no logical answers. Trust me.

But you need heated conference rivalries. Hopefully soon.

Reaction Score
UConn's success did have a lot to do with ESPN, but the exposure was because of the Big East, not because we were the local state U. It's not like OSU has had trouble getting exposure on ESPN or any other channel.

The Big East also helped make ESPN. I believe it was Billy Tubbs of Oklahoma or TCU that made a comment that ESPN owed college basketball as much as the other way around. In mocking ESPN's original broadcasting he said something like, "you can only show so many tractor pulls."

That's what makes ESPN's decision to destroy the Big East even more impressive.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That's about as much of a "grasp at straws" type of argument as I've ever seen. Hard to dismiss the possibility that ESPN pumped up UCONN??? I watched the majority of UCONN basketball games this past season over a terribly connected third party internet stream site for crying out loud due to lack of good TV coverage. Before EVERY game of this past tourney, their Subway Fresh "experts" all rode on the tails of whoever UCONN played. ESPiN even made up some outlandish rumor that Jim Calhoun was interested in the Boston friggin' College job during our run! Other than Boston College, I can't think of a single entity that has HURT UCONN more than ESPiN over the years.

No, our success has to do with our coaches, our players, and our fan support. Not a crooked network that had a very large hand in delivering Pitt (and later Louisville) to the ACC over UCONN and then "aired" all of our games on ESPN3. UCONN. On ESPN3. Think about that for a second. Jay Bilas escapes ESPiN gag order for 1 minute and declares Storrs, Connecticut the unquestioned capital of college basketball after a year long sentence on ESPN3. The irony is striking.

Reaction Score
If you eventually join the Big10, you will learn much about the fan bases:

Ohio State has two types of fans - the alumni that are obsessed with everything OSU.

Then there are these types of fans:

Crying%20Buckeye.11.jpg

They can be a little whack-a-doodle sometimes.

LOL I love that pic. It has gotten more mileage on our boards than most.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think ESPN positively adores UConn.

Oh, sure, they help finance the eventual destruction of our athletic program, but in the interim, ESPN gets to showcase the hoop national champion on Saturday nights at 6, Thursdays at 9 and Sundays at 5 for about $1.5M a year.

It's the best money ESPN will spend next year.

And that scares me. Why would ESPN offer to pay another conference $20M+ to add UConn when ESPN owns 'em now for $1.5M?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are these nimrods aware that the inverse is more true? That ESPN's rise from meaningless local cable sports channel to what it is today owes much to UConn? UConn basketball is what kept ESPN alive in the early days. The irony should not be lost on us.

Reaction Score

Oh, sure, they help finance the eventual destruction of our athletic program, but in the interim, ESPN gets to showcase the hoop national champion on Saturday nights at 6, Thursdays at 9 and Sundays at 5 for about $1.5M a year.

And that scares me. Why would ESPN offer to pay another conference $20M+ to add UConn when ESPN owns 'em now for $1.5M?
Because it could end up costing more to pay to an entire conference.
Even if it's only 5 million per team

Reaction Score
I think there is another way of looking at this article. This is the last sentence:

Still, it is almost impossible to dismiss the idea that ESPN played some roll in the rise of UConn basketball and it is important to understand the role that TV networks can play in the success of teams in these days of conference networks driving conference expansion and realignment.

The writer basically says he does not have much hard evidence and the examples he cites are flimsy. Maybe what he is inferring is that if a conference was to add UConn, then they would also be adding ESPN as a silent partner as well, and that relationship would also help the conference. It doesn't matter that we think ESPN is destroying UConn; the author of the article is laying the groundwork that adding UConn also means the perception of adding ESPN, and that's a powerful ally to have. If ESPN hypes UConn and whatever B1G team they are playing on ESPN or ABC, then this would spill over to UConn games on the B1G network. We are now starting to see more articles about how successful UConn is compared to B1G, and how was Rutgers chosen over UConn from B1G territory newspapers and blogs. Maybe the B1G is slowly planting seeds about UConn and how they could fit in the B1G conference.

Reaction Score

One more reason to go BIG...isn't the BTN affiliated with Fox Sports?

Reaction Score

If you post things like this ZLS will get angry.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
One more reason to go BIG...isn't the BTN affiliated with Fox Sports?

Fox owns 51% of The BTN with option of The Big 10 owning it outright after this contract expires (late 2020's).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom