Ogunbowale top 5 | The Boneyard

Ogunbowale top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
She had mentioned she was considering UConn, don't know if Geno was considering her. Will be hard for Geno to get Guards with last years recruiting class. Not impossible, but difficult.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes, Geno was pursuing her. He was in Milwaukee to watch her last HS game back in March. He was in Chicago a few days ago but didn't stay around for her team's big match-up on Saturday which may have been an indication that UConn wouldn't make the cut. UConn was always a longshot for her but I did think it would make her final five. The surprise is no Duke given the priority placed on academics. Four of the 5 are certainly good schools, though.

Reaction Score
@genoauriemma
Stay tuned for my list of the 5 players I saw the past 7 days that I have zero interest in recruiting.... #whatajoke

Blunt but truthful. Announce when you pick a school but top 5s or 10s is a little much I think and nice to see Geno agrees with me.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well I guess he was recruiting her. Ouch.

Rebecca Lobo ‏@RebeccaLobo 8m
@genoauriemma That tweet was so unexpectedly different from tweets of other coaches I follow. Made me laugh out loud.

To Rebecca's point, most coaching staffs use twitter to talk indirectly to recruits ("special visitors," "watching future [insert team mascot]"), while 3 of UConn coaches rarely tweet (CD doesn't at all), and the one who does (Geno) tweets stuff like this. It certainly is different and a bit refreshing.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wisconsin is likely window dressing. Have a feeling it'll be ND, and she's going to be a player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love it! Atta Boy Geno.
Do you love it? Really? Geno uses a very public forum to deliver one liner zingers directed at 16 year old girls? I find it just the opposite. It would be far different if he was quoted in an interview saying "kids these days seem to be gravitating much more towards grandiose public forums and the generation is more about "me" than about "us/team". etc etc..." I think Geno's comments not only show a lack of understanding of "kids these days", but also an unfortunate broadside blasting high school girls.

I absolutely love Geno and bleed Husky Blue. Heck, I'm flying to Istanbul on my own dime to watch him coach the US National team in September. While I'm probably in the minority on this, those tweets have made me sad.

He's the most recognizable, powerful, and influential person in WCBB and he does not need to lower himself, or resort to, mean one liners on twitter. I think it's low class and I expect much better from the head of our program. Is there any good reason for, or anything positive that can come out of, these tweets? :(

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Well I didn't really take it that way but I have a different sense of humor than most. I never thought she was a "Uconn" type player, now Louisville yes but was surprised Duke was not on the list.

Reaction Score
Do you love it? Really? Geno uses a very public forum to deliver one liner zingers directed at 16 year old girls? I find it just the opposite. It would be far different if he was quoted in an interview saying "kids these days seem to be gravitating much more towards grandiose public forums and the generation is more about "me" than about "us/team". etc etc..." I think Geno's comments not only show a lack of understanding of "kids these days", but also an unfortunate broadside blasting high school girls.

He's the most recognizable, powerful, and influential person in WCBB and he does not need to lower himself, or resort to, mean one liners on twitter. I think it's low class and I expect much better from the head of our program. Very disappointed...

Do you really hate it? Really? I find it refreshing that somebody actually speaks his mind and doesn't hold back anything. Are you honestly trying to tell me that someone who is as successful a coach as him has a "lack of understanding of kids these days"? I think it is an honest assessment of how arrogant, selfish, and full of themselves some recruits are.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Do you really hate it? Really? I find it refreshing that somebody actually speaks his mind and doesn't hold back anything. Are you honestly trying to tell me that someone who is as successful a coach as him has a "lack of understanding of kids these days"? I think it is an honest assessment of how arrogant, selfish, and full of themselves some recruits are.
Yeah I do hate it and I said so. Like I said I'm probably in the minority, but just like some people find it creepy that so many follow teenage girls twitter accounts, I find it sad that the preeminent figure in WCBB feels the need to take potshots at teenage girls.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think it was his finest hour, but we probably don't know the whole story (and never will.) Perhaps he feels jilted because he wanted her on the team. Maybe she told him she wanted to go to UConn and then UConn wasn't on the list. I doubt he would have Tweeted it if UConn was on the list. Maybe her camp had demands that he wasn't will to give in to...or she felt pressure because of the 3x3 thing with her teammates coming to Storrs. We don't know and shouldn't know. So in my mind, he probably ought to have kept his phone in his pocket...If she starts talking about something he did or said, he is going to look like the bully.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't question the fact that Geno's tweets are honest and refreshing, but to be fair he can be a bit too quick with his one-liners; I assume from the tweets that he was peeved, most likely that the young lady in question didn't inform him UConn didn't make the cut.

While few UConn fans take these sorts of things badly, they have a lot to do with why Geno is not more popular with fans of other programs. I don't doubt lots of coaches feel just like he did (and probably more often), they just don't say it in public.

And, to be frank, I would have a lot less problem with his remark(s) if they were made in a more neutral context (and perhaps minus the sarcasm). This appears to all accounts to be a direct response to the young lady.

Reaction Score

I absolutely love Geno and bleed Husky Blue. Heck, I'm flying to Istanbul on my own dime to watch him coach the US National team in September. While I'm probably in the minority on this, those tweets have made me sad.

He's the most recognizable, powerful, and influential person in WCBB and he does not need to lower himself, or resort to, mean one liners on twitter. I think it's low class and I expect much better from the head of our program. Is there any good reason for, or anything positive that can come out of, these tweets? Very disappointed...
I also believe he could have taken a little higher road. But ultimately, I blame Lebron James and his big "Decision" and all the junk that followed. Of course, I blame him for anything to do with basketball so what do I know. :eek:

45 TO GO

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I have 2 words on this topic:

Asia Durr. :)

I'm still waiting for her short list of schools and hoping to see Rutgers on it.

I'd love to see Durr & Scaife as our starting back-court for 2 years. :p

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't question the fact that Geno's tweets are honest and refreshing, but to be fair he can be a bit too quick with his one-liners; I assume from the tweets that he was peeved, most likely that the young lady in question didn't inform him UConn didn't make the cut.

I think you're right. It wasn't that UConn didn't make the cut (she was a longshot for UConn) but that he learned about it via twitter. Plus, there was the build-up. The tweet that news was coming, the tweet that the announcement would be Sunday and then the big announcement...of a top 5.

Geno isn't done and he isn't wrong:

Geno AuriemmaVerified account ‏@genoauriemma
Players have press conferences to "announce " which schools they are considering. #whatajoke

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Pretty odd if that was directed at Ogunbowale considering numerous UConn recruits have publicly revealed their shortened lists including KLS, Collier, and Boykin.

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I dunno - clearly he is following players' twitter accounts (or has a staff member doing it). Not quite sure what his issue is - yes, it's goofy. But yes, it is also a reflection of more interest in women's basketball. He, of any of the current coaches, should know how important that is.

Reply to Geno: Hall of Fame coach takes to twitter to insult high school basketball players #whatadingbat

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I think Uconncat has it, it was the personal announcement of announcements etc etc LOL. the others made lists but they got out from people asking, not announcing!!

Just to be clear and to put everyone on notice I will make my next post in approximately 2 hours.

I know you will be waiting ;)

Reaction Score
Pretty odd if that was directed at Ogunbowale considering numerous UConn recruits have publicly revealed their shortened lists including KLS, Collier, and Boykin.
KLS, Collier and Boykin had UCONN ON their lists - heh heh.

Reaction Score

The difference is that they never had a big lead up and press conference for the announcement of their finalists like Ogunbowale, so it is not really odd at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom