Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Official Men's Hockey Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Thinking 2016/2017 commit?

WillGarin16 8:23pm via Twitter for iPhone
I'm proud to announce my commitment to play hockey at The University of Connecticut! Thanks everyone who helped me along the way #Huskies

goalmouthradio8:39pm via Web
Garin is a 16 year old forward, (1997) forward from Minnesota. Currently stands at 5'9'' and 161 lbs.

goalmouthradio8:43pm via Web
Garin was selected in the 21st round of the USHL, 302nd overall in the 2nd tier of the draft by the Tri-City Storm.

goalmouthradio8:44pm via Web
Here's a look at Garin's USHL draft video:youtube.com/watch?v=u6OTcv…

russbites9:40pm via Twitter for iPhone
Will Garin '97 (Holy Family Catholic) commits to UConn. Smaller fwd w/ good offensive skill sets. Gersich is another out of HFC program

Reaction Score
Thinking 2016/2017 commit?

WillGarin16 8:23pm via Twitter for iPhone
I'm proud to announce my commitment to play hockey at The University of Connecticut! Thanks everyone who helped me along the way #Huskies

goalmouthradio8:39pm via Web
Garin is a 16 year old forward, (1997) forward from Minnesota. Currently stands at 5'9'' and 161 lbs.

goalmouthradio8:43pm via Web
Garin was selected in the 21st round of the USHL, 302nd overall in the 2nd tier of the draft by the Tri-City Storm.

goalmouthradio8:44pm via Web
Here's a look at Garin's USHL draft video:youtube.com/watch?v=u6OTcv…

russbites9:40pm via Twitter for iPhone
Will Garin '97 (Holy Family Catholic) commits to UConn. Smaller fwd w/ good offensive skill sets. Gersich is another out of HFC program

Article: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...2014/1/29/5360118/will-garin-commits-to-uconn

>>Garin, now in his sophomore season, has been a regular in the Holy Family line-up since he was an eighth grader. This season, Garin has posted a 12-14-26 scoring line through 12 games with the Fire. This past fall, he played in the Upper Midwest Elite League with Team Southwest, where he registered 5-4-9 in 18 league games. Garin was ranked third among sophomores in SBN College Hockey's most recent ranking of Minnesota high school players.

Garin is a fine pick-up for the UConn hockey program, and reflects the changing hockey culture at the school as they move to Hockey East next season, and works towards offering the maximum 18 full scholarships permitted by the NCAA.<<

Reaction Score
So presumably he has 2 more high school years, plus a year in the USHL or somewhere similar before he shows up wearing National Flag Blue & white. Is that right? I guess I haven't followed the details of recruiting that closely but it seems bizarre to be signing high school sophomores...

Reaction Score
I don't mean to imply that Garin isn't a great pick up. Sounds like he is. Just that the process is somewhat odd.

Reaction Score
So presumably he has 2 more high school years, plus a year in the USHL or somewhere similar before he shows up wearing National Flag Blue & white. Is that right? I guess I haven't followed the details of recruiting that closely but it seems bizarre to be signing high school sophomores...

I don't mean to imply that Garin isn't a great pick up. Sounds like he is. Just that the process is somewhat odd.

The more I follow it - it is the most bizarre of all of the college sports (between Preps, Juniors, Draft, etc).

Liam Murphy is another 2016 kid who is already committed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cav and boys on a bit of a Minnesota recruiting roll...

2014/2015 commit?

USHRhockey3:01pm via web
5-10/180 lb. Benilde-St. Margaret's senior F Spencer Naas has committed to UConn for this fall ('14). Strong skater; leads team in scoring.

goalmouthradio3:18pm via Twitter for Android
Spencer Naas has committed to UConn. Strong skater, top 10 in points in Minnesota High school. Has crossed 200 career points already

goalmouthradio3:26pm via Twitter for Android
Naas had reportedly been on the radar of Wisconsin, to give a benchmark of other schools interested in landing him.

goalmouthradio3:33pm via Twitter for Android
UMass-Amherst was also in on trying to land Naas. Minutemen couldn't land him over Huskies.

OTBPuckWatch3:52pm via web
95 F Spencer Naas (Benilde-St. Margaret's) commits to Connecticut. Electrifying skater, skilled in creating offense. H/T @goalmouthradio

OTBPuckWatch3:54pm via web
Two big looks into the Minnesota High School ranks for Connecticut, picking up Will Garin (Holy Family) and now Spencer Naas (Benilde).

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...14/1/30/5362354/spencer-naas-commits-to-uconn

Reaction Score
So, who wants to offer up some insight into how hockey recruiting works. I'm trying to ramp up my interest as we get ready for Hockey East.

We landed a couple of Minn. kids this week and it seems like they're legit....but I have no idea

Are there rankings of kids by class? like hoops and football.
Do some of them play elsewhere between high school and enrolling in college?

Reaction Score
So, who wants to offer up some insight into how hockey recruiting works. I'm trying to ramp up my interest as we get ready for Hockey East.

We landed a couple of Minn. kids this week and it seems like they're legit....but I have no idea

Are there rankings of kids by class? like hoops and football.
Do some of them play elsewhere between high school and enrolling in college?

I'm not an expert but here are a couple of sites to start you off.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/recruits/

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/recruits/list/Atlantic-Hockey/1/conf

http://overtheboards.net/college-hockey-recruiting-rankings/

http://www.ushr.com/

The majority of kids coming out of high school either do a PG year (if they don't migrate to a prep school before graduating HS) or play junior hockey. They have a lot of options. It's a tough follow.

More general college hockey site - http://www.uscho.com/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't follow it that closely but it is a little bit complicated for those reasons and because it isn't uncommon for players to change plans at the last minute. UConn has a kid on this year's team, Segalla, who originally supposed to spend the year in Junior hockey. At the last minute he and Cavanaugh decided he was ready and he enrolled at UConn.

The other thing is recruiting is really changing for UConn. In the past the Huskies landed a lot of older guys who were playing their last Jr seasons as well as a lot of borderline talent. they often brought in 10-11 guys since with no scholarships, they were always trying to recruit over guys. Not to say they didn't land some pretty solid guys. But they had to go through a lot of players to get them. They also took some "damaged goods" and hoped they'd work out. I remember a goalie from a few years ago who was considered a very high prospect as a high school player until he was badly injured and fell off the radar. Marshall kept in touch and he came to UConn and was a very solid goal tender, at times brilliant. Then he got re-injured and never came back. Most of their guys were unheralded players who wanted a shot to play D1 Hockey. UConn would have a handful of recruits then at the end of the season, they'd announce a whole slew of players. Hockey East with 18 rides is a whole different animal and you are already seeing the results. Smaller classes.
Guys lined up for 15-16-17.

Reaction Score
The biggest thing that now needs to be done is the building of the on-campus arena/hockey facility. My hope is that they build a stand alone facility with strength and conditioning facilities, sports medical facilities, and team lounges (separate facilities for men's & women's teams). That will be the deciding factor in where the ceiling goes for the program in HE.

Reaction Score
Unless I missed it, I would be looking for them to sign a goalie somewhere along the way to join the program next season. A little surprised they don't have anybody. Right now they have 3, but Grogan graduates and Cunumale has never faced a shot as far as I know. Robbie Nichols looks like a pretty nice player, but you can't go into a season without any backup. Teams typically carry 3.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
goalmouthradio
11:44am via Twitter for Android
Corey Ronan commits to UConn. Details to follow.

>>Ronan is a small forward most known for his speed. He's the son of Ed Ronan, a former Boston University star who was drafted and played for several years with the Montreal Canadiens. His cousin, Matt, is currently a senior forward at Boston University. His father was high school teammates of Cavanaugh.

Ronan played for the United States at the 2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament. His USHL rights are owned by the Muskegon Lumberjacks. It is assumed he'll spend next season playing in either the USHL or the newly formed USPHL.<<

I live in Franklin, MA, where Ronan is from. There was a nice article about his dad in the local (free) paper last week, talking about his time with the Canadiens and local community involvement. I suspect Corey will be pretty well prepared, and I'm glad to see the Franklin connection paying off. Peter Laviolette is from Franklin too.

Reaction Score
The other thing is recruiting is really changing for UConn.
I am told by someone close to BC that Cavanaugh's biggest strength is recruiting and he should have a strong HE program by year 4. Buckle up.

Reaction Score
Unless I missed it, I would be looking for them to sign a goalie somewhere along the way to join the program next season. A little surprised they don't have anybody. Right now they have 3, but Grogan graduates and Cunumale has never faced a shot as far as I know. Robbie Nichols looks like a pretty nice player, but you can't go into a season without any backup. Teams typically carry 3.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2013/12/28_commitment_qa_with_uconns.php

Ask and you shall receive. I like this kids thinking. He wants to be part of building something and we can give him that!

Reaction Score
Thanks! Very cool. I guess I missed this earlier. Sounds like a great kid and a real competitor.
Yeah, it's weird because the same site doesn't list him as an incoming recruit yet but the interview is over a month old?

Reaction Score
Junoaust4Feb 08, 11:44pm via Twitter for iPhone
Proud and excited to announce that I have committed to play my college hockey for the University of Connecticut! #Huskies

Johnny Austin

Will Moran ‏@goalmouthradio 1h
Austin comes from the same team, Benilde, as recent commit Spencer Naas.

Will Moran ‏@goalmouthradio 56m
Austin is categorized as a puck moving defenseman, left hand shooting, listed at 5'9'' and 180 lbs.

Will Moran ‏@goalmouthradio 1h
Austin was also named to the preseason Mr. Hockey watch list, which Naas is a finalist for by @OTBPuckWatch

Reaction Score
Sounds like hockey recruiting is going very well. Huskymedic, or anyone else in the know, could you devise a chart, indicating all future commits, where they're from, and when they are projected to enter UConn.
That would be greatly appreciated, as it seems hockey recruiting is much more complex than other sports.

Reaction Score
Sounds like hockey recruiting is going very well. Huskymedic, or anyone else in the know, could you devise a chart, indicating all future commits, where they're from, and when they are projected to enter UConn. That would be greatly appreciated, as it seems hockey recruiting is much more complex than other sports.

I'll see if we can get a better list put together but this is a start. This doesn't have the recent Minnesota kids or Garin included yet... http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/recruits/list/Atlantic-Hockey/1/conf

Reaction Score
Listened the UConn/PC game on a radio stream and it was amazing, great win! When we join Hockey East next year what is the TV coverage like? Does Hockey East have a contract or will we go with one of our partners like SNY?

I am a big UConn football and bball guy but look forward to supporting hockey.

Reaction Score
Listened the UConn/PC game on a radio stream and it was amazing, great win! When we join Hockey East next year what is the TV coverage like? Does Hockey East have a contract or will we go with one of our partners like SNY?

I am a big UConn football and bball guy but look forward to supporting hockey.

Example - http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/media/tv.php

Pretty sure HE has a TV deal w/ NBC Sports as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom