Official 2015-16 Non-Conference Schedule Announced | The Boneyard

Official 2015-16 Non-Conference Schedule Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Women's Basketball Unveils 2015-16 Non-Conference Schedule
The Huskies have finalized 10 of 11 contests for the upcoming season.
The Huskies will play two of last year's three NCAA Final Four teams during 2015-16.
spacer.gif

STORRS, Conn. - The University of Connecticut women's basketball team has released its non-conference schedule for the 2015-16 season, as announced by head coach Geno Auriemma on Monday, August 3. The 11-game schedule includes four contests at home, five on the road, one at a neutral site and one game that is TBA.

The final game of the non-conference schedule will be announced in the coming days.

The exhibition portion of the schedule includes matchups with Lubbock Christian on Monday, November 2 and Vanguard on Sunday, November 8. The Lady Chaps finished 21-7 overall last year, were 15-3 in the Heartland Conference and were ranked as highly as No. 19 in the NCAA Division II Coaches Poll. Vanguard finished the 2014-15 campaign with a 22-8 overall mark and were ranked No. 8 in the NAIA Poll. The Lions return All-NAIA selections Samantha Douchette and Riley Holsinger for the 2015-16 season.

[MORE]

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Wow, what a terrific schedule against many strong opponents! Hopefully the unannounced game will be the Maggie Dixon Classic at Madison Square Garden. If so, that would be the icing on the cake.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
A little birdy told me that a B1G team has stepped up for the Maggie Dixon Classic.

Maryland maybe or Rutgers?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I know February is far off, but check with me before making reservations if you're coming to the game in Columbia and staying overnight. There is A LOT of construction in the Congaree Vista area of downtown, where the arena is located, and I'd highly recommend you stay within walking distance as ample parking is not as close as it once was. There are 4 hotels within ~ 3 blocks of the arena.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
it is encouraging to see that the non-conference schedule includes no cupcake entries except Colgate, and that is for an understandable reason (Stewie's homecoming). All of the other opponents are credible major programs.

It certainly would be nice to see Maryland in the Maggie Dixon game.

This schedule is a big improvement over the non-conference schedules of recent years, which have included far too many opponents of the Holy Cross, College of Charleston, and Fairleigh Dickinson stripe.

Still, in my mostly unshared opinion, that team in Knoxville really should be on this schedule.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
A little birdy told me that a B1G team has stepped up for the Maggie Dixon Classic.

Maryland maybe or Rutgers?
I heard it was Maryland. That's quite a non conference schedule!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
That's a great schedule. I wonder what the hold up is on our non-conference schedule...

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
What about Mo??

I mean, forgive my naivete, but what about a Jefferson homecoming? Yes we know why Colgate is on the schedule but then what is expected for Mo...I'm assuming an American game out in Texas? Anyone have an idea? Maybe it's just common knowledge (I'm not all that common, though)

Reaction Score
What about Mo??

I mean, forgive my naivete, but what about a Jefferson homecoming? Yes we know why Colgate is on the schedule but then what is expected for Mo...I'm assuming an American game out in Texas? Anyone have an idea? Maybe it's just common knowledge (I'm not all that common, though)

Playing SMU in Texas during the AAC regular season is the same as a homecoming for MOJeff.

HGN

Reaction Score
A good and strong non-conference schedule. More than a little risk involved in playing the likes of DePaul, OSU , FSU , Nebraska , Chattanooga , ND , and USC (East) ., etc... If the Huskies can come through that gauntlet unscathed or only slightly scared they will be ready for a NC run. I don't know if the Huskies can go Undefeated this season but they will be Tournament ready after the regular season and AAC Tournament for sure.

I am glad to see that Morgan will get a Chicago visit this season to play DePaul..........A great chance for family to see her in early December.

LET'S GO HUSKIES!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A good and strong non-conference schedule. More than a little risk involved in playing the likes of DePaul, OSU , FSU , Nebraska , Chattanooga , ND , and USC (East) ., etc... If the Huskies can come through that gauntlet unscathed or only slightly scared they will be ready for a NC run. I don't know if the Huskies can go Undefeated this season but they will be Tournament ready after the regular season and AAC Tournament for sure.

I am glad to see that Morgan will get a Chicago visit this season to play DePaul.....A great chance for family to see her in early December.

LET'S GO HUSKIES!!

Morgan's immediate family (parents) now lives in Virginia.

Reactions: HGN

HGN

Reaction Score
Morgan's immediate family (parents) now lives in Virginia.
I forgot about that.......... Well, I guess Chicago makes for a long drive now doesn't it ?

Reaction Score
it is encouraging to see that the non-conference schedule includes no cupcake entries except Colgate, and that is for an understandable reason (Stewie's homecoming).

I would have thought a game at the University of Syracuse would be a better homecoming. I guess Coach Q didn't want to get his ass kicked again!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would have thought a game at the University of Syracuse would be a better homecoming. I guess Coach Q didn't want to get his ass kicked again!
Yea, that's what has been discussed on prior threads. Syracuse didn't want to play us. So we got Colgate to.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
This can't be the right OOC schedule. We have been informed many times by certain posters that the top teams were planning to leave the Huskies out in the dark. And usually they also claim the AAC is a HS league, even though its three Tourney teams once again posted the best conference winning percentage in the Tourney.

But yes, wild exciting times a-coming. Hold on to your Husky caps.

Reaction Score
it is encouraging to see that the non-conference schedule includes no cupcake entries except Colgate, and that is for an understandable reason (Stewie's homecoming).

Anyone who is interested in attending the Colgate game should act as soon as tickets go on sale. Colgate's Cotterell Court - which is not as nice as some HS gyms - has an official seating capacity of only 1750. Can probably fit another 300 SRO if they opt to do that. There are very few hotel rooms near Hamilton btw, and you may need a dog sled to get there.

I imagine the line for the game, if there is one, will be UConn by about 64.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Anyone who is interested in attending the Colgate game should act as soon as tickets go on sale. Colgate's Cotterell Court - which is not as nice as some HS gyms - has an official seating capacity of only 1750. Can probably fit another 300 SRO if they opt to do that. There are very few hotel rooms near Hamilton btw, and you may need a dog sled to get there.
We have Huskies.

Reaction Score

I imagine the line for the game, if there is one, will be UConn by about 64.

I wonder if they looked into a game with Cornell? Ithaca is about an hour from Syracuse with 2/3 rds of it on I-81. Newman Arena seats about 4,500 and Ithaca has enough hotels to support any traveling crowd.

Reaction Score
I know February is far off, but check with me before making reservations if you're coming to the game in Columbia and staying overnight. There is A LOT of construction in the Congaree Vista area of downtown, where the arena is located, and I'd highly recommend you stay within walking distance as ample parking is not as close as it once was. There are 4 hotels within ~ 3 blocks of the arena.

Thanks..I may take you up on that depending on the game time. Not sure I want to fight the traffic out of there and drive home if it's a late one. I think I'm about 2 - 2.5 hours away (Travelers Rest)

It's been forever since I've seen a uconn game (been here for over 5 years) and really looking forward to this one. Now I just need to find out when tickets go on sale...

Reaction Score
I wonder if they looked into a game with Cornell? Ithaca is about an hour from Syracuse with 2/3 rds of it on I-81. Newman Arena seats about 4,500 and Ithaca has enough hotels to support any traveling crowd.

Don't know. But after Syracuse wouldn't play, Geno may have opted to turn to Colgate because their head coach was a long-time assistant to Doug Bruno at DePaul. I imagine Geno knows her pretty well, so putting together a game was likely easy. Also it is a good thing for her struggling Colgate program.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of my three loved the Colgate rural, small , hence small class size thing, but eventually chose to stay far closer to home for about 20K more a year. :( Good news. She makes a fortune a year and is still a really, actually, no fooling good person. Oh, BTW, I like our schedule and look forward to the Huskies total destruction of the WCBB whomevers.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Thanks..I may take you up on that depending on the game time. Not sure I want to fight the traffic out of there and drive home if it's a late one. I think I'm about 2 - 2.5 hours away (Travelers Rest)

It's been forever since I've seen a uconn game (been here for over 5 years) and really looking forward to this one. Now I just need to find out when tickets go on sale...

Other than some of the season tickets sections, tickets are general admission. The arena seats 18,000 so you'll be able to get tickets in advance. On the night of the game get there early; most visiting fans sit in section 107, which is the closest general admission section to the visitors' bench. Players' family and friends tickets are in the first 4 rows of section 106. I sit in the 5th row of 105 so I'm closer to the visitors' bench than the home bench.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Dumb question: can someone remind me what happened to what had been the annual Stanford regular season game? Thanks

Reaction Score
Dumb question: can someone remind me what happened to what had been the annual Stanford regular season game? Thanks

The home and home games with Stanford will resume in the 2016-2017 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom