Official 2014 Commit Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Official 2014 Commit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've decided we are not going to get many p5 players, so I'm not going to get down about that. We just need to win the battles vs Houston, Cincy, UCF, Temple, ECU and Memphis. Might as well say we need to out recruit the AAC.

That would hopefully mean better results on the field. Then we stand out and who knows after that.

Respectfully disagree, start consistently winning 8- 10 games per year and recruiting will improve dramatically. We can start by winning 8+ next year.

UCF snagged one of the top QB's in the country today because of the success they had this year.

Last edited:

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Surprised to see Atkins at DE. The press reported him as OL when he committed.

The fact that we have a few open slots but they couldn't wait another semester on Bradford really shows these guys aren't messing around with academics. I think Diaco is bringing a little bit of ND admissions standards to UCONN football...either that or they didn't think the player was good enough, who knows.

UConn has always been harder to get accepted to for football players than ND (in the D1 era). Most schools around the country accept kids that UConn would turn away.

Reaction Score
I've decided we are not going to get many p5 players, so I'm not going to get down about that. We just need to win the battles vs Houston, Cincy, UCF, Temple, ECU and Memphis. Might as well say we need to out recruit the AAC.

That would hopefully mean better results on the field. Then we stand out and who knows after that.

I also agree it is a bit unrealistic to get hotly contested p5 recruits. But that doesn't mean we still can't get outstanding football players. The absolute key, as it has always been, is identifying talent. The # 1 pick in last years draft came from the MAC. This staff needs to be able to identify talent, and then develop it. We will see in 4-5 years.

Reaction Score
USF has a monster class. 21 players with P5 offers. But I suspect a bunch of them will never set foot on campus.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree, start consistently winning 8- 10 games per year and recruiting will improve dramatically. We can start by winning 8+ next year.

There's no disagreement here. I said if we out recruit, we win more and then see what happens. Even if we are in the top 2 of the AAC every year I don't expect us to bring in 7-10 p5 type players. Maybe in the 4-5 area but who knows.....

Reaction Score
USF has a monster class. 21 players with P5 offers. But I suspect a bunch of them will never set foot on campus.

Wow....after the year they had? Though it sounds like, if you're breathing, you got an offer.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I also agree it is a bit unrealistic to get hotly contested p5 recruits. But that doesn't mean we still can't get outstanding football players. The absolute key, as it has always been, is identifying talent. The # 1 pick in last years draft came from the MAC. This staff needs to be able to identify talent, and then develop it. We will see in 4-5 years.

And...some of the mock drafts have Bortles going #1 this year to the Texans. They also had Bridgewater going #4 or 5. UConn played the top 2 QBs in college football this year.

Reaction Score
Can't get too down. Bloom and Carrezola committed early and were both 1st team PA - could have garnered more offers. Newsome is just Newsome and would have gotten a ton more offers - reminds me of Todman.. We stole Ron Johnson I mean man G Tech, at least, offered, beside Louisville. Diggs is legit. The Bigs are the Bigs and they take awhile to develop.

It's a small class, but I think that we should be happy. There seems to be good talent. Give Diaco & Co credit for cleaning up the mess and actually adding some solid players with not much time left on the clock.

We need a Kicker and Punter to fill this class. Bet he is looking.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
yes, because there is no campus....right? isn't it an online school? :)

Reaction Score
This is going a little back but whatever happened to Jalen Branford? He committed last year and then was supposed to prep and join this January. Any news on where he ended up?

Reaction Score
This is going a little back but whatever happened to Jalen Branford? He committed last year and then was supposed to prep and join this January. Any news on where he ended up?

Delaware St

Reaction Score
Nice write up from J silver.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/diaco-wraps-up-signing-day/#more-10849

• One thing I got from Diaco is that transcripts and ability to do well in school mean something. The Huskies aren’t going to go after a marginal student even if they could qualify him for school. UConn isn’t going to academically reach for a player. Diaco shut that down even if they think they can get that player through admissions.
“You still have to go to school at UConn, not every student has to launch a missile…but you got to be able to read and write well to compete in the classroom,” Diaco said.

Reaction Score
ESPN has us with ten 3-stars.

We also had two 2-stars and five guys not rated including Diggs (rivals 3-star) and Oaks (who had the best tape looking of all the OL to my eye).

They also listed Newsome as our third best recruit.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school?id=41&action=upsell

Here's what Jim Fuller has to say about star ratings.

Here are some of the players who received two-star ratings
Kendall Reyes, starting defensive lineman for San Diego Chargers
Anthony Sherman, who received the No. 1 blocking rating among all NFL fullbacks by the Pro Football Focus site in his first season with Kansas City
Sio Moore, third-round pick of Oakland Raiders and member of NFL All-Rookie team
Jordan Todman, RB who ran for 256 yards and two touchdowns with Jacksonville Jaguars
Blidi Wreh-Wilson, a third-round pick of Tennessee Titans
Trevardo Williams, a fourth-round pick of Houston Texans
Ryan Griffin, sixth-round pick of Houston Texans
Nick Williams, WR with Washington Redskins
Will Beatty, starting LT for New York Giants
Tyvon Branch, starting safety for Oakland Raiders
Robert McClain, DB with Atlanta Falcons
Zach Hurd, Scott Lutrus, Lawrence Wilson, have all been on NFL rosters
John Delahunt, fullback in CFL
Michael Smith, WR who had strong showing in Houston Texans camp
Adam Masters and Jory Johnson, former UConn captains
Shamar Stephen and Jesse Joseph, two of top draft prospects for UConn this year posted by Jim Fuller at 3:09 PM 0 Comments

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/

Reaction Score
Nice write up from J silver.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/diaco-wraps-up-signing-day/#more-10849

• [ ]One thing I got from Diaco is that transcripts and ability to do well in school mean something. The Huskies aren’t going to go after a marginal student even if they could qualify him for school. UConn isn’t going to academically reach for a player. Diaco shut that down even if they think they can get that player through admissions.
“You still have to go to school at UConn, not every student has to launch a missile…but you got to be able to read and write well to compete in the classroom,” Diaco said.

Love that quote. I know many on this board disagree, but I love it.

Reaction Score

I can't disagree with you, but I see it in a slightly different manner. HCBD needs to find gems in under recruited or overlooked areas ... and I firmly believe that CT and the northeast is an under recruited area. Newsome and Marchi also had an FBS UCONN in their backyard for a few years, so that entered into their decision making. If Kitrell had to do it all over again in 2014, maybe he doesn't pick Iowa.

Reaction Score
Any observation or 2 from ESPN recruiting rankings.

How does Kentucky get a 20th ranked class and how does Tenn (5th ranked) have 36 commits?

An awfully good recruiting staff a UK and Tenn is sending 11 to prep?

Reaction Score

Last I heard he was headed towards Indiana PA - D2

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any observation or 2 from ESPN recruiting rankings.

How does Kentucky get a 20th ranked class and how does Tenn (5th ranked) have 36 commits?

An awfully good recruiting staff a UK and Tenn is sending 11 to prep?

Stoops did a nice job on the recruiting trail at UK. He got 4 of the top 5 in state, whereas UL only got 1. He got 6 in the ESPN top 300. He did well in Ohio and Fla, as well as the jucos in Tex.

UK has plenty of opportunity to play early in the SEC, they started a freshmen QB but he should be beaten out by the kid they are bringing in within 2 years.

They also a couple months ago approved $110 million project to upgrade Commonwealth Stadium and build a new football training facility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro