Offensive Line could be better than expected | The Boneyard

Offensive Line could be better than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Early in the basketball season, I remember Shabazz saying our basketball front line was pretty good and I'm not sure how many people believed him. We all know too well when Bazz says something it is usually on target.

Well yesterday at the Spring game, I witnessed a massive offensive line that with a few more coats of paint could be pretty good. I just hope that Foley and staff can get these guys to work together as a unit in the time for the BYU game. After the game I asked Max DeLorenzo what he thought about the line and like Shabazz he seemed encouraged by our line. Obviously with Tackles like Andreas Knappe and Richard Levi we certainly do NOT have a size issue.

Reaction Score
I do not think and I could be wrong but anything will be an improvement over a GDL coached line. Even the second half if season saw a n improvement. I am optimistic

Reaction Score
They can't be much worse than they were last year (specifically the first 9 games)....

Reaction Score
P lost his job because he put an imbecile in charge of the offense and OL. So, on that premise alone, and now having Foley back in charge of the OL, we should be in better shape. But, we have to be realistic. These are young, inexperienced guys at positions where you most want maturity and experience.

And we are not big. The starting interior line yesterday of Rugg, Mateas and Samra go 285, 309, 288 if the roster stats are to be believed. We may or may not have a size issue.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this line can improve as the season progresses. It's our major weakness right now.

Reaction Score
Just commented in another thread this unit while looked better than last year depth chart might look different in fall as thought running game was better behind second unit, like way short yardage powered it in behind left side of line (think ran behind tackle ) of second team on first and goal. Nice to see after short yardage struggles last two years.

Reaction Score
P lost his job because he put an imbecile in charge of the offense and OL. So, on that premise alone, and now having Foley back in charge of the OL, we should be in better shape. But, we have to be realistic. These are young, inexperienced guys at positions where you most want maturity and experience.

And we are not big. The starting interior line yesterday of Rugg, Mateas and Samra go 285, 309, 288 if the roster stats are to be believed. We may or may not have a size issue.

It depends on body composition and strength. If a lineman is 290 (roughly what Rugg and Samra will be with just added lean muscle in the off-season) because he is eating well and training hard, than that's a very competitive weight for an offensive guard that's 6'2-6'3. A little small for the NFL, but this is college and not the pros.

If they are getting pushed around, than I'm sure the staff will have them add a little weight before the season starts. There's still 20 weeks to add size and figure out the optimum playing weight. A guard who pulls a lot and is supposed to get upfield in running situations probably should be little lighter. I don't know the exact system the staff plans to run, but a lot of the best guards in the NFL are roughly 305-310 because they are able to move quicker than the bigger lineman.

Reaction Score
The guards may be a tad smaller by design because of pulling getting out in front of screens, etc. For pass blocking Richard Levy should be a capable left tackle. I predict this line will jell over the course of the season. Although Zack Rugg goes 285 or so, he looked good in the Spring game. I predict Andreas Knapp will be the surprise of the year on the O line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom