Obscure | The Boneyard

Obscure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, I sure would like to tell you that I'm nursing my first Manhattan this evening. But with all the recent emphasis on truth and justice and such on the Yard, gotta say I didn't nurse it at all..............feeling mighty celebratory. But I sure do plan on nursing the next one........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Oh lord. Please stop, before Kia decides we are having too much fun with her name and changes her mind.

Reaction Score
UC: well, there's a Yarder from down in NC who knows what I'm talkin about here. He and his wife and Barbara and I had a few together a year or so ago during a three-day, three-game Nov tournament, when they visited Buzzards Crest (our place). We sang Philly street corner stuff until 2 and 3 AM a couple nights in a row. Haven't seen him post for quite some time and am hoping they have recovered.

Reaction Score
UCM - glad you "liked" this miniscule thread. I took a look at it again after seeing an "Alert" about some messages re various thread, and I got another chuckle out of the re-read myself. :) Always love chuckles and appreciate the folks who deliver them.

Reaction Score
Oh lord. Please stop, before Kia decides we are having too much fun with her name and changes her mind.

UCC: no need to put me up there with a deity, though I might be only days away from linking up at this age. :eek: (Actually, I guess the lower case "l" took care of that matter.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UCM - glad you "liked" this miniscule thread. I took a look at it again after seeing an "Alert" about some messages re various thread, and I got another chuckle out of the re-read myself. :) Always love chuckles and appreciate the folks who deliver them.
Had nothing to do with the thread - I just like my Manhattans! :rolleyes: How else do you get rid of sub-standard whisky! (Being a single malt snob myself - straight up with a touch of rainwater - I have to find ways to get that blended stuff down the hatch.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Single Malt, baby. That's how I roll.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Same here. Usually straight up but I'll allow for a single cube for the rare summertime pour.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Single Malt, baby. That's how I roll.
Started collecting back when it was hard to find anything but Glenlivet and Glenfiddich in the US - it became a game and I slowly built up my collection by seeking out the few liquor stores that might carry a few more oddities. At its hight I had over 100 different varieties (I know, obsessive!) but I then moved to Montego Bay Jamaica and most of them went into storage - and caribbean weather is not conducive to whisky drinking. On my return to more northern climes I have slowly whittled away and it is now much smaller.
Most foolish bottle acquisition - drove 6 hours to Toronto when Bushmill's first introduced a single malt irish whisky that they had yet to export to the US - an OK dram, but 12 hours round trip!
Best ever purchase - found a bottle in a wooden box with leather belt - 25 year old Maccallan - it had a store sticker price of $25.99 - took it to the counter and asked the guy if the price was truly correct and he said 'Oh, yes! It is a really good whisky.' I immediately bought it (after checking if they had any more) as I knew it should have been 5 times the price (I suspect the price gun didn't have three numbers before the decimal.) I had given him a chance to correct the price so I didn't feel too guilty! That is a truly remarkable whisky. It has since tripled in price from the $125 and I can't quite justify getting another bottle.
Favorite everyday - Lagavulin or Talisker (I do like the island whiskies)
But the prices on all the single malts has gotten crazy - and I think they are getting a little too cute with their products - too many specialty bottlings and messing around with the barrel woods. Too much focus on variety and not enough focus on producing the best edition at a few different ages that they can from their still and their art.

Now that was more than you expected from a one line post I bet - but you touched a sweet spot!

Reaction Score
Not a big scotch man, although a lot of Scottish blood in the veins, but I would heartily second the Lagavulin rec from UcM. Even though I don't lean toward scotch, that is some very, VERY fine drinking.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Well, I sure would like to tell you that I'm nursing my first Manhattan this evening. But with all the recent emphasis on truth and justice and such on the Yard, gotta say I didn't nurse it at all..............feeling mighty celebratory. But I sure do plan on nursing the next one........:rolleyes:
GOODNIGHT NURSE! Are you done!?!?!?! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom