NYT Interactive Football Map | The Boneyard

NYT Interactive Football Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Clemson and NC State don't get much love. Georgia Tech gets none.

Why do the Florida Gators pull 2-10% in greater NYC, Rhode Island.

pj

Reaction Score
Cool map. Interesting that UConn is in the top 3 in many Boston zip codes. Florida Gators and Oregon Ducks strong in the northeast too. Syracuse did surprisingly well in downstate NY, Rutgers surprisingly poorly in south Jersey. Cincy and USF don't fare well. At least UCF got Orlando.

Reaction Score
Definitely an interesting study, but it feels like some schools and their fandom within the state are under represented. Just from a quick glance I'd say IU, NC ST, A & M, and Clemson are somewhat underrepresented. If the Cuse actually carry NY the way that this map depicts, then Delany should have pursued them with or instead of Rutgers. Maybe instead of around making passes at Texas, ND and UNC, they should rip the top off the ACC taking BC, UCONN, Pitt, and Syracuse. It would give the BIG unguestioned control of the Northeast and NYC.

Reaction Score
Everywhere I clicked around the NYC/Long Island area...up come the Gators as the #3 team....you guys sure about methodology?

Gators more than UConn or Rutgers?

....While the percentages are small around NYC in NY, that the Gators are so consistently represented seems puzzling.

Reaction Score
NYC--not really surprising. Biggest surprise--Virginia. Hokies take UVa to the woodshed.
I thought UVa owned Virginia. Completely taken aback.
With Purdue and (especially) ND in state, what can IU do?
Fascinating....
Hard to believe this map is 100% correct. Where is GT ? Nothing?
Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
I think the loyalty of New Yorkers to Syracuse, Florida, etc, is extremely shallow. They can easily be displaced by any school that manages to get on TV more often.

Florida gets a bit of loyalty from snowbirds and their relatives.

Similarly the fact that Florida and Oregon (flavor of the day) compare well to BC in Massachusetts is a strong signal of how weak BC fandom is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The map is not worth much, I think. GIGO. Survey methodology might not be providing valid results...The Gators are ahead of most folks in NYC?

Certainly in terms of TV viewing, national interest, even alumni representation...it seems off.

Reaction Score
I thought UVa owned Virginia. Completely taken aback.
With Purdue and (especially) ND in state, what can IU do?

I was a little surprised by UVa as well, but the Hokies have had their share of football success.

I figure NY State and Syracuse is mostly about filling a void when it comes to football,

In Indiana, IU is all about basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was a little surprised by UVa as well, but the Hokies have had their share of football success.

I figure NY State and Syracuse is mostly about filling a void when it comes to football,

In Indiana, IU is all about basketball.
I'm probably the only guy on this board who actually likes IU''s new 'candy cane' football helmets...

Reaction Score
Well, we Hoosiers (as in residents of the state) call it "candy stripe", but yes, I like them as well.

Reaction Score
If this map is even close to being accurate....wouldn't the USF AD have major cause for concern? They don't even rank top 3 in the Tampa-St. Pete area.

Reaction Score
Well, we Hoosiers (as in residents of the state) call it "candy stripe", but yes, I like them as well.

I stand corrected. Honestly, I think they should just use the 'candy stripe'...home and away. They're pretty cool. Discard the other four styles entirely...

Reaction Score
I don't trust these maps. There was one version where UNC wasn't even represented, which was later fixed. I could see Georgia being so dominant in Georgia, but Tech barely even registers.

Reaction Score
Where I'm at in the Pacific Northwest the percentages look like what I'd expect except no one actually pays attention to college football.

BTW, if you want it to go 100% UConn have Warde hire Pete Carroll. I'm sure everybody would be a fan of the school that gets him outta here.

Reaction Score
Doesn't seem that the ACC wins anywhere it matters, except by default because of monopoly. NC, VA etc. Head to head with the SEC doesn't look good for them.

Reaction Score
Now that I've had a chance to play around a little more, I'm surprised at how poorly ND does in areas that are demographically heavily Catholic. Ditto with BC.

Reaction Score
Map based on Facebook "Likes"....

I would think that this methodology might have some real sampling problems....one would think that more young people and students would be liking on Facebook than mid life fans.

Maybe I am just a middle aged technological luddite, but I have never thought of going to a team Facebook page.

Another anomaly is that it doesn't take into account the dispersal of fans....Notre Dame doesn't pull much in the way of populated geography yet draws fans nationally and is #4 in merchandise sales, Texas A&M's reach is surely beyond the small patch illustrated around College Station, FSU looks to be majorly confined to the western panhandle of Florida yet is in the top ten in merchandise sales.

I guess one could have many methodologies....like the number of paid subscriptions to team sports boards like Boneyard, Warchant, Gator Bait, etc. and get different results....

Or use sales of sports merchandising as a fan surrogate.....the Top 75 are listed...

Different methodologies will give different results...

pj

Reaction Score
Now that I've had a chance to play around a little more, I'm surprised at how poorly ND does in areas that are demographically heavily Catholic. Ditto with BC.

I suspect many Catholics, like me, have been disappointed at how little Catholic identity there is to nominally Catholic institutions such as the Catholic universities. Notre Dame is better than BC or Georgetown or Marquette in this regard, but still it is not an institution we expect to speak out for Catholic values.

Reaction Score
Does the lighter blue throughout the rest of New England imply some UConn support, & is the powder blue in Vermont implying Tarheel support?

Reaction Score
I was raised a Catholic in missionary country (the south of the 50's-60s). Almost everyone seemed to be Baptist or Methodist and we were called Mackerel Snappers, A lot of prejudice around the time of the JFK election. My school teachers (Jesuit and Dominican) had a heavy Irish contingency (not Notre Dame Irish but rather Irish immigrants). And yes, Notre Dame was revered.

The Valedictorian and Salutatorian of my class both went to South Bend...

I was not an Irish fan...I followed the Bear at Bama... I was a lapsed Catholic..

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

pj

Reaction Score
Does the lighter blue throughout the rest of New England imply some UConn support, & is the powder blue in Vermont implying Tarheel support?

No, the blue indicates the Florida Gators, and the paleness indicates weak support. UConn is probably supported in the 3-5% range. But what it shows is that outside of Connecticut, all of New England is up for grabs. There is very little support for anyone. A winner in a P5 conference would grab fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom