NY Jets rewarding fans who show up at kickoff, are loud, etc. | The Boneyard

NY Jets rewarding fans who show up at kickoff, are loud, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The smart card is a terrible Idea, unless they have contingency plans for no shows. What if a season ticket holder can't make the game? The seat will go empty that day because if I were a Season ticket holders, fat chance I'm mailing my card to ANYONE, let alone a stranger on Stub-Hub. They better have a contingency for this situation.

Reaction Score
The smart card is a terrible Idea, unless they have contingency plans for no shows. What if a season ticket holder can't make the game? The seat will go empty that day because if I were a Season ticket holders, fat chance I'm mailing my card to ANYONE, let alone a stranger on Stub-Hub. They better have a contingency for this situation.
Since the rights to attend games are becoming digitized, I don't see much of an issue of transferring "tickets". They'll find a way.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Since the rights to attend games are becoming digitized, I don't see much of an issue of transferring "tickets". They'll find a way.
These tickets are not digital though. From the sounds of it, the ticket taker still scans the card. The Jets already have Season ticket holders money before the first preseason ball is kicked off and they don't benefit from any secondary market transaction. What probably happens is there is a service fee to print a paper ticket at will call and the card is deactivated for that game. It's still a bad idea, IMO.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
"We also wanted to give an additional amount of truth to the fact that, uniquely in football, being at the game really does influence the outcome, more so than any other sport, I think," Sam Rabinowitz, the Jets' vice president of marketing and fan engagement, is quoted as saying.

Tell that to the UConn men's basketball fans who showed up in force at MSG in March and rooted Shabazz and his cohorts to victories against Iowa State and Michigan State in an incredible UConn love-fest.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would LOVE a prize for making noise on defensive 1st and 2nd downs instead of the usual stern looks and requests to be quiet.

Reaction Score
Think it's a great idea, apply a similar system to UCONN season tickets/packages for all sports. Rewards can be team gear, ticket upgrades, food vouchers. Makes sense.....logistics might need work but all in all a great idea from the Jets. Could benefit all sports programs across the board with sales and a better crowd!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Think it's a great idea, apply a similar system to UCONN season tickets/packages for all sports. Rewards can be team gear, ticket upgrades, food vouchers. Makes sense.....logistics might need work but all in all a great idea from the Jets. Could benefit all sports programs across the board with sales and a better crowd!

It's only a good idea if there is a way to transfer the ticket. The team is not thinking about the fan in any way, shape, or form here.

The only other thing that would make sense is a similar mechanism to the UConn ticket exchange, but then you are involving the team again and they wet their beaks on the flipside as well. That is the beauty of StubHub. It is a pure secondary market.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Many schools do something like this for STUDENT tickets - so much more fair than a lottery. Especially because it can be based on ID's the students already have...

Reaction Score
The concept is great. I think it could work to get fans in their seats prior to kick-off. There just has to be a reward for everyone who meets the criteria (must make a high percentage of games etc., in your seat prior to kick-off in order to qualify). If you qualify for the rewards you automatically win a UCONN t-shirt.

Reaction Score
It's only a good idea if there is a way to transfer the ticket. The team is not thinking about the fan in any way, shape, or form here.

The only other thing that would make sense is a similar mechanism to the UConn ticket exchange, but then you are involving the team again and they wet their beaks on the flipside as well. That is the beauty of StubHub. It is a pure secondary market.

What if you had each fan register and get a program card. When u arrive at the stadium you scan your card then ticket. One card per ticket and vice versa...
You buy season tickets you get X points per ticket but each person who attends can also be rewarded for going to he game....early arrival points and all associated game points.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What if you had each fan register and get a program card. When u arrive at the stadium you scan your card then ticket. One card per ticket and vice versa...
You buy season tickets you get X points per ticket but each person who attends can also be rewarded for going to he game....early arrival points and all associated game points.
There's a lot of "what if"'s. Many fans split season tickets. Many fans get tickets so they can go to a couple games, then sell the rest to make up for their initial cash outlay. A Jets / Patriots game can make up for the other 9 games in one week, especially on StubHub. If a Season ticket holders is forced to "sell" their seat back to the team, they will probably only get a percentage on the dollar return, which similar to how UConn administers its ticket exchange.

I think the ticket transfer issue has to be at least smooth, or this will work against the Jets in the long run. The Jets have been a subpar product for two years. There won't be loyalty points for them to give out if there aren't season ticket "card" holders.

Oh and BTW, a ticket upgrade to the owners box would personally do me no good unless Joe Namath was present with a room full of slightly younger than mid-aged female sideline reporters and a handle of Jack Daniels.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I was thinking something somewhat similar. Each ticket scanned 20 or 30 minutes before kickoff enters the ticketholder in a drawing for 20 "True Blue Husky" fan shirts or something of that nature. Drawing is at halftime. Optimally each scan enters folks into a drawing at the next to last game for 2 tickets to "exclusive" seats in the last game. Logistics of that would be a little tricky but possible.

Reaction Score

Do you actually know it's not transferable, or just going off on a tangent assuming so?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've thought for years we should outright bribe people to come in early so I like the general concept of accumulating "fan points" for rewards.

Reaction Score
These tickets are not digital though. From the sounds of it, the ticket taker still scans the card. The Jets already have Season ticket holders money before the first preseason ball is kicked off and they don't benefit from any secondary market transaction. What probably happens is there is a service fee to print a paper ticket at will call and the card is deactivated for that game. It's still a bad idea, IMO.

I have season tickets for a Bundelsiga team and we use a scanned card for each entry;

What we do in this situation is I would inform Mainz that I will not be at a game and they have an area on their website where someone could buy it. My card is deactivated for that game and somehow I get paid for the ticket if someone else buys it (I don't know how that works because I never did it). Since my entry card doubles as a cash card inside the stadium (they don't accept cash inside the stadium) I suppose they can just add credit my card the appropriate amount.

I don't know the specifics, but generally I just click a button on a website and everything else is out of my hands. Seems pretty easy, and theoretically the team doesn't make any money on the transaction; it's just a service for season ticket holders.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have season tickets for a Bundelsiga team and we use a scanned card for each entry;

What we do in this situation is I would inform Mainz that I will not be at a game and they have an area on their website where someone could buy it. My card is deactivated for that game and somehow I get paid for the ticket if someone else buys it (I don't know how that works because I never did it). Since my entry card doubles as a cash card inside the stadium (they don't accept cash inside the stadium) I suppose they can just add credit my card the appropriate amount.

I don't know the specifics, but generally I just click a button on a website and everything else is out of my hands. Seems pretty easy, and theoretically the team doesn't make any money on the transaction; it's just a service for season ticket holders.

I would have zero issue with this as long as every member of a season ticket group gets their own cards. I'm part of a group and the account is in the name of a friend. 6 seats on the account so, in effect, 5 "ghost" donors.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Do you actually know it's not transferable, or just going off on a tangent assuming so?
I'm not assuming there is no way to transfer. I'm assuming what ever way they have to do it is not smooth and puts additional onus on the fan (And I am right).

Should a season ticket holder relinquish his seat or seats for a game, the fan attending can join the rewards program and set up a separate account, Rabinowitz said.

What was once a simple transaction between seller and buyer now includes additional hoops.

On the one hand, this is probably where major sporting event attendance is headed. On the other I feel it drives away the casual fan.

For instance, For 10 seasons prior to last year, A group of us got our football tickets through one person's account. He was previously a basketball Season ticket holders and had accumulated however many points to put us in the lower bowl immediately. That plan fell through last year and I set up a UConn ticket account on my own, but I only did it though because I am a die in the wool UConn fan (and alum). I don't mind if UConn has my information because 1) As an alum, they already have it and 2) I'd certainly buy tickets again.

Apply that to the Jets' strategy and non-Jets fans. I'm a Redskins fan, but I can't get down to Maryland to watch them in personal very easily and (in this hypothetical) it just so happens that they play in Jersey this year. Why would I want to set up a Jets account and be on their mailing list for one game? I'd check out the Giants or Patriots first.

Reaction Score
I would have zero issue with this as long as every member of a season ticket group gets their own cards. I'm part of a group and the account is in the name of a friend. 6 seats on the account so, in effect, 5 "ghost" donors.
Same here with 11 ghosts. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I prefer to be rewarded with good football and wins. Forget the free tickets. I'll pay more for good football and wins.

Reaction Score
I'm not assuming there is no way to transfer. I'm assuming what ever way they have to do it is not smooth and puts additional onus on the fan (And I am right).

What was once a simple transaction between seller and buyer now includes additional hoops.

He said you can do that, not that you have to. Says on the Jets website that you can sell tickets exactly the same way, it will automatically deactivate that game from your card, and the buyer will be sent a printable ticket through stubhub or whatever you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom