NY Daily News feature article on UConn Hockey | The Boneyard

NY Daily News feature article on UConn Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only if the on ice product was better as they lost 8 to 2 and one goal they gave-up was an own goal. The crowd was only about 4,000, also, with a slight lean towards ND fans. I wonder how many people were scared away by the fact that the NYC Marathon was the same day and the course went right by the arena? I had no issues getting there after parking in Midtown and taking the Q over. Was more crowded on our way back after dinner at Patsy's because the Islanders' fans were coming in.

Reaction Score
Only if the on ice product was better as they lost 8 to 2 and one goal they gave-up was an own goal. The crowd was only about 4,000, also, with a slight lean towards ND fans. I wonder how many people were scared away by the fact that the NYC Marathon was the same day and the course went right by the arena? I had no issues getting there after parking in Midtown and taking the Q over. Was more crowded on our way back after dinner at Patsy's because the Islanders' fans were coming in.
Not sure why they would schedule the game on this particular Sunday. NFL season, NYC marathon, and no one could have predicted the Mets would be playing.

Reaction Score

My crew didn't go because of the marathon. Myself and one other guy ran it, but everyone else I know wanted to stick around for the actual race.

The Marathon is a big deal in NYC and people typically spend the day across the five boroughs watching it. It's tough to compete with that.

If the game were this weekend I guarantee they would have drawn close to double the attendance.

Reaction Score
Also FWIW the Daily News has always been pro-UConn. Very positive in their bball and football writing over the years. Good to have allies there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My crew didn't go because of the marathon. Myself and one other guy ran it, but everyone else I know wanted to stick around for the actual race..

And how did you do?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nice job.

It can be tough to have time goals in a mega-size marathon.

The traffic early in the race and the general aggravation of having to keep altering your stride comes back to bite you sometimes.

If you're looking for a neat spring marathon that's an easy trip from NYC, look at the Walkway Marathon in Dutchess County in June. We had the first on this year as a trial and it went very well. Starts and ends at Marist College and goes out and back on the Dutchess Rail Trail and the Walkway over the Hudson. (Also have a 5K and a half-marathon.) Very, very fast course.

Reaction Score
Nice job.

It can be tough to have time goals in a mega-size marathon.

The traffic early in the race and the general aggravation of having to keep altering your stride comes back to bite you sometimes.

If you're looking for a neat spring marathon that's an easy trip from NYC, look at the Walkway Marathon in Dutchess County in June. We had the first on this year as a trial and it went very well. Starts and ends at Marist College and goes out and back on the Dutchess Rail Trail and the Walkway over the Hudson. (Also have a 5K and a half-marathon.) Very, very fast course.

This is awesome. Thanks, man. Going to look into it and maybe I'll see you up there!

But yes, also to your point getting out of the gate in a race of that size is super frustrating. Think I had to run my first mile at 9:30 because of it.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine completing a marathon and being disappointed with my time. I feel like I'd be too busy being shocked that I survived.

Ha, yeah I know my GF gives me grief about that all the time. I'm stupid competitive for a 31-year-old desk jockey.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But yes, also to your point getting out of the gate in a race of that size is super frustrating. Think I had to run my first mile at 9:30 because of it.

Not to turn this into the marathon thread, but....since warming up before a marathon isn't really isn't a good idea given that you're looking to keep as much powder dry as you can for the race itself and since immediately setting off at marathon pace in mile one will come back to haunt you....try starting off slower.

If you're looking for 3:45, run the first mile in about 9:45 and the second in about 9:00. Don't surge to pass anyone, just relax. It'll feel like you're crawling, but you'll also avoid stressing about traffic, etc. You can settle down to 8:30 by the third mile when you're warmed up. (Five seconds faster than 3:45 pace...that will make up the 90-100 seconds you gave away in the first two miles.)

Reaction Score
Not to turn this into the marathon thread, but....since warming up before a marathon isn't really isn't a good idea given that you're looking to keep as much powder dry as you can for the race itself and since immediately setting off at marathon pace in mile one will come back to haunt you....try starting off slower.

If you're looking for 3:45, run the first mile in about 9:45 and the second in about 9:00. Don't surge to pass anyone, just relax. It'll feel like you're crawling, but you'll also avoid stressing about traffic, etc. You can settle down to 8:30 by the third mile when you're warmed up. (Five seconds faster than 3:45 pace...that will make up the 90-100 seconds you gave away in the first two miles.)

Yeah that kind of went against my strategy which, admittedly was a terrible idea. I did my half at 1:43 and change and was convinced I could limp across the finish line with a 2:00 second half. Unfortunately that second half really turned into a horror show for me.

TL;DR I need to get smarter about how I race.

Reaction Score
Not sure why they would schedule the game on this particular Sunday. NFL season, NYC marathon, and no one could have predicted the Mets would be playing.

Good question, maybe rink availability...

Reaction Score
Good question, maybe rink availability...

I'd say that's more than likely the case. With the Islanders playing in Barclay's now you've got 41 more dates off the table. Combine that with 41 for the Nets and the random college bball games, I'm sure the organizers had to take what they could get.

Reaction Score
I'd say that's more than likely the case. With the Islanders playing in Barclay's now you've got 41 more dates off the table. Combine that with 41 for the Nets and the random college bball games, I'm sure the organizers had to take what they could get.

The Islanders were actually playing that night. They may not be as much of a road block as all Barclay's has to do is to get out the Zamboni's and clean-out the locker rooms; but, basketball is a different story as it takes several 3 to 5 hours to covert the arena between the two platforms.

Reaction Score
The Islanders were actually playing that night. They may not be as much of a ro as all Barclay's has to do is to get out the Zamboni's and clean-out the locker rooms; but, basketball is a different story as it takes several 3 to 5 hours to covert the arena between the two platforms.

Good point. Either way Marathon shouldn't have caught organizers by surprise, it's been the first Sunday in November for like half a century.

Reaction Score
Did the charleston half marathon in Saturday. Low country so no hills but was on a muddy plantation which was a slog by the end. 1:44:08. Maybe sub 1:40 one day.

Reaction Score
Did the charleston half marathon in Saturday. Low country so no hills but was on a muddy plantation which was a slog by the end. 1:44:08. Maybe sub 1:40 one day.

Nicely done, sir.

Reaction Score
They wife ran the marine corps marathon a few weeks ago and didn't do as well as she wanted. In fact it was her worst marathon yet. How does she respond? Signs up for another one in three weeks. Crazy runners

Reaction Score
I ran New York in 1985 (I believe). My poor wife waited in lousy weather for hours. Good experience, just wish I could say I enjoyed it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah that kind of went against my strategy which, admittedly was a terrible idea. I did my half at 1:43 and change and was convinced I could limp across the finish line with a 2:00 second half. Unfortunately that second half really turned into a horror show for me.

Yeah, that's kind of a surefire plan for suffering.

Kind of impressive, actually.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
A marathon on a course with virtually no elevation gain? Yawn. Man up and come join us next year

http://www.wser.org

In all candor, I'm just a sponsor , but I'll be there watching!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99