Now is a great time to focus on the kids who did commit to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now is a great time to focus on the kids who did commit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really like this class, particularly given how they fit at UConn and the desire to play at UConn. To be honest I like this group of four players as unit so much that I found myself hoping even at the end of last year that Aja choose somewhere else other than UConn. I thought this class would function best as a group of 4. They get labeled as just four guards in the angst over whether UConn will ever successfully recruit another post player, but they are very different players and yet they all fit the UConn mold with their versatility, intelligence, and commitment level.

And of course there are a lot of unknowns about this group including even who will emerge as the best player from this group. Gaby Williams has the unique athleticism to do it, but has ahd the two ACL injuries. Kia Nurse certainly could be that player and has a decent shot to start as a freshman in my opinion because of how solid her foundation is as a player, but her ceiling is a little bit of mystery in terms of just how elite of a player she can be. We don't yet know how successful Courtney Ekmark was in her mission to help make herself a better basketball player, but at the very least she is a shooter that makes good decisions with the ball and Geno typically doesn't struggle to find playing time for those type of players. To what degree she was able to help open up her own ceiling we will see. Sadie Edwards grew up a UConn fan and her comments over the last year have reinforced that she completely understands the UConn program and the challenges she will face. For Sadie I think her story will be more about her development as she adapts her style of play to fit into the program that she dreamed of playing for as child. And that passion for UConn I expect will play a big role in binding these four together.
You really hoped the top player in the class, at 6'5" with wing skills went elsewhere? I didn't. The keys to next year I believe are the conditioning of KML (look how good McBride looked) the health and conditioning of Tuck (she could also become quicker) because 1 or 2 early fouls on our post can change the whole game, and who else does Geno trust out their between his senior Banks, Chong, or which of his freshman.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am sorry for disagreeing but this team needs a post player. You have three. Yes we only had three this past year but none of the three returning players has the mindset or skills that SD had. Yes Kia is getting better and Morgan hopefully fully healed. I don't know much about the four young ladies but again hopefully one of them has a stop and pop shot aka Sue and Bria. The team will win of course. They will win the AAC, their tournament, make it to the FF then we will see what happens. Undefeated again hopefully but maybe not. Wilson going to SC was a no brainer. IF she wanted to come up north i doubt that the Lebron behavior would have taken place. I wish her well as I have family in South Carolina so I may see her play. Wishing UC the health and success once again this coming season.

Kiah is ready to be the UConn dominant wcbb post player. Her skill set is different from Stef's but she brings perhaps unmatched (in wcbb) ability to rebound and block shots or disconcert shooters. (N.B. That was all Russ could do and we know how that worked out.) Kaleena and Moriah and Stewie, all arguably AA at their positions, will provide the firepower. The fifth starter? Morgan. First off the bench? Too early to tell, but choosing from among Banks and Chong and the four newbies is a task Geno can handle.

I like our chances to take it all the way, including a beatdown of ND in December.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't know if that's so Oz.
At least not from me
I think we're going to be even better next season.
You have officially joined the "overly optimistic" club.

Welcome. You can send me your dues. Check or money order.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We will be better with one, yup, need one, not immediately, in two years, absolutely.

But taking the wrong one an be a huge mistake and the real need is to bring one in not because they will contribute immediately but rather to give them time to be integrated into the system.

In one year I'd say. Stokes graduates and you need to bring someone into the fold to get integrated.

The team we trot out there next year doesn't 'need' anyone else on paper. But we are one injury away from a tough go of it. Tuck being a big uncertainty doesn't help.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You really hoped the top player in the class, at 6'5" with wing skills went elsewhere? I didn't. The keys to next year I believe are the conditioning of KML (look how good McBride looked) the health and conditioning of Tuck (she could also become quicker) because 1 or 2 early fouls on our post can change the whole game, and who else does Geno trust out their between his senior Banks, Chong, or which of his freshman.

After this year, I just don't worry about foul trouble. A post in foul trouble? Go small and still beat the crap out of the opponent.

Players graduate. These coaches adjust to whatever roster they have.

I do expect a trimmer KML. Look at the pictures from the first Stanford game. She was slimmer to start this season. She will work hard on this.

Lots of cautious optimism at UConn on Tucks recovery. She is absolutely big (pun intended) for next years front line. If healthy, she might even start.

Geno has to play some from the 6 guards/wings not including Jefferson. I have no idea who that will be. Part of the fun of next season. There will be some great knowns like Stewart, KML and Jefferson. Know one knows who else starts and the player rotation.

Should be fun when the "who starts" threads appear.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In one year I'd say. Stokes graduates and you need to bring someone into the fold to get integrated.

The team we trot out there next year doesn't 'need' anyone else on paper. But we are one injury away from a tough go of it. Tuck being a big uncertainty doesn't help.
How many players do we need where we are not one injury away from a tough go of it?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Kiah is ready to be the UConn dominant wcbb post player. Her skill set is different from Stef's but she brings perhaps unmatched (in wcbb) ability to rebound and block shots or disconcert shooters. (N.B. That was all Russ could do and we know how that worked out.) Kaleena and Moriah and Stewie, all arguably AA at their positions, will provide the firepower. The fifth starter? Morgan. First off the bench? Too early to tell, but choosing from among Banks and Chong and the four newbies is a task Geno can handle.

While obviously no one knows for sure, I doubt Morgan starts next year (though maybe that could change come tournament time).

She had microfracture surgery at the end of January. That's 6 months off without doing anything to ensure healing. It's a more difficult recovery process than an ACL. I'm not even sure she'll play much right away. At the very least, she'll have her minutes regulated.

At that point (August), she can begin training for the season (which will involve getting in shape and knocking off rust). And She won't be able to work on her game in the offseason.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
After this year, I just don't worry about foul trouble. A post in foul trouble? Go small and still beat the crap out of the opponent.

I do expect a trimmer KML. Look at the pictures from the first Stanford game. She was slimmer to start this season. She will work hard on this.

Lots of cautious optimism at UConn on Tucks recovery. She is absolutely big (pun intended) for next years front line. If healthy, she might even start.

Geno has to play some from the 6 guards/wings not including Jefferson. I have no idea who that will be. Part of the fun of next season. There will be some great knowns like Stewart, KML and Jefferson. Know one knows who else starts and the player rotation.

I'm actually looking forward to this. There was no uncertainty for me this year. If we didn't win by twenty, I was mildly shocked. I'm usually 100% in the over optimistic club. I will say, I'm not when it comes to Tuck's health. That's a tough injury, tough surgery, and tough recovery. Harder than ACL. She could be fine this year, but I'm not going to count on it.

That said, we can very much win without out her.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How many players do we need where we are not one injury away from a tough go of it?

Not sure of the question. For example, we could have 2-3 guards go down (ex Jefferson), and not be greatly affected. We currently have two legit (guarantees) posts. Stokes goes down and we play 4 guards and stewy at the center. KML (2/3) would be a full time 4.

Not the end of the world, but not ideal at all either. That would make foul trouble a huge issue.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not sure of the question. For example, we could have 2-3 guards go down (ex Jefferson), and not be greatly affected. We currently have two legit (guarantees) posts. Stokes goes down and we play 4 guards and stewy at the center. KML (2/3) would be a full time 4.

Not the end of the world, but not ideal at all either. That would make foul trouble a huge issue.
Well, in honor of Passover, why is this season any different than any other season?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

You are counting differently than I am. Next year is the one year and when Stokes graduates is the second year for my count. Yes, Morgan's health and injuries are issues. I am talking about the starting line up in place.

Reaction Score

It is not one injury it is at least two injuries before it becomes anything close to a tough go of it unless you are assuming Morgan isn't playing right from the start. And both of those injuries have to be season ending so they miss the NCAA tournament because any other time of the year doesn't really matter in the big picture. UConn will have the most talented front court in in the country yet again with as much depth to start the season as anyone. They're competing against other college basketball teams not WNBA All-Star teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to agree. Five guards in two years, one injured, doesn't seem to bode a continuous string of NCs (I'm greedy). As many have said, a lot depends on Morgan (also injured). Either way we'll be successful, but NCs??????

Hi SON: I think it could be two coming in injured of those five (Edwards and Williams)?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It is not one injury it is at least two injuries before it becomes anything close to a tough go of it unless you are assuming Morgan isn't playing right from the start. And both of those injuries have to be season ending so they miss the NCAA tournament because any other time of the year doesn't really matter in the big picture. UConn will have the most talented front court in in the country yet again with as much depth to start the season as anyone. They're competing against other college basketball teams not WNBA All-Star teams.

Yeah I get that. Looking around the landscape, it seems there are only will be a few teams better than last year (UNC, USCar, come to mind). I don't expect Notre Dame to be better though, as some others think. Baylor, Maryland, Duke, and teams like that should be worse off. Now too be fair, there wasn't really much viable competition to this UCONN team the past year. Again, I still believe we have the best team, but going into this coming year, there are more questions than last year. That is all.

I'm not counting on Morgan entirely no, but will be happy to be surprised. She'll have almost no off season, and will have to get in shape very quickly. That of course will be monitored and regulated, as will her minutes. That particular injury is difficult, because you never know if it is fully healed. You just have to be very cautious and go by how the player feels (like Grady Sizemore with the Sox). Again, I'll be happy to be surprised.

I'm counting on Stokes and Stewart in the post, along with KML rotating in as needed. A fully healthy full speed Morgan would change my opinion entirely. I think that's not realistic though, given the nature of that particular injury.

At the end of the day, I'll roll with the team that had the best (read transcendent) player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I like our chances to take it all the way, including a beatdown of ND in December.

KIB: nice point about Russ...sure did work out. How I enjoyed watching that team.....pretty much the final days of "basketball" in the NBA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A'ja has really good height and length but to call her a post is like calling Stewart a post her freshman year. Stewart has developed the strength and desire to compete on the blocks but she did not come to school that way and A'ja isn't either. So for next year ... I do not think A'ja would have provided the 'depth' in the post some people feel we need. All you need to do is look at ND in the NC game to see that a 'deep bench' is just fools gold in most instances. Few teams can lose an AA type player at any position to fouls or injury and not suffer in a competitive game.
And do not forget that in the 2013 tournament Dolson was not an AA type player - she was a warrior and gave her all, but she was playing on bad wheels. Her replacement when she needed rest - Tuck. This year it was Kiah because she grew up this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To take this seriously in relation to this past year ...
I think a post rotation of Dolson, Stokes, Stewart, Chiney, and Gatling, with a wing/guard group of Moriah, Bria, KML, Sims, McBride, and Liston with say Hamson, Loyd, and Hooper rounding out the roster would probably quiet most of the worriers. Not saying we wouldn't have some anxious moments if we ran into a bad crew of refs, or had a couple sprained ankles, but with a little luck and a favorable draw in the tournament ...:cool:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

Should be fun when the "who starts" threads appear.

Oh no, DD - you went THERE....please no, no, no, not yet, please, please..... ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On Morgan ... it seems we got a little bit of bad medical information after the surgery - the report at that time was 'immobilized for 6 months' which is a very long time and includes all kinds of atrophy issues with leg muscles and a very short time to build up strength and movement starting in August. But there was some reporting that she has already started range of motion with the knee and she is walking without crutches at least some of the time. That is 3 months earlier than reported initially and while I am not trying to minimize the time, effort, pain, and frustration she has gone through and will go through, this is still a very positive shift in a major signpost to recovery.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, UConn did OK with Tamika Williams @ 6'2" in the post, didn't they? A'ja would have been a nice get, but the four athletes we have coming in are top notch...
UConn did well with 6'2 T Williams. But this is kind of comparing apples with oranges. She did not have to face other more athletic/strong/tall posts nowadays on other teams around the country during her time. I think if Kia does not develop quickly with some offensive skills and Tuck still has a nagging knee problem next season, Geno will call upon Doug Bruno for tips on teaching his guards about pressing and 3-point shooting skills. It would be great of they had scheduled a game in next season.

Reaction Score
Doesn't that line deserve an emoticon like :eek: or :confused: or at least :rolleyes:

or this
brickwall.jpg

Reaction Score
Doesn't that line deserve an emoticon like :eek: or :confused: or at least :rolleyes:

Hi UCM: always enjoy your input. In answer to your question, how would you feel about "all of the above"? :);)

Reaction Score
I too wish that Wison had chosen to come to UCONN., but we will still be fine. I do not see anyone beating us in a Nat. Championship game for at least 2 years. I remember losing EDD. I was sick. She did turn out to be one of the finest WCBB players of all time. I just wonder how many teams could lose her and STILL win a NC. Probably none, but UCONN !
Geno and C.D. will put the pieces together. My guess is Geno has his sights set on a "big" for 2016. No matter who we get, they will WANT to come to UCONN . One thing you can count on, as long as Geno is the coach they will be better people, and better players by the time they leave UCONN ! Just ask Stef Dolson !
# 10 in 2015 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69