Now is a great time to focus on the kids who did commit to UConn | The Boneyard

Now is a great time to focus on the kids who did commit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really like this class, particularly given how they fit at UConn and the desire to play at UConn. To be honest I like this group of four players as unit so much that I found myself hoping even at the end of last year that Aja choose somewhere else other than UConn. I thought this class would function best as a group of 4. They get labeled as just four guards in the angst over whether UConn will ever successfully recruit another post player, but they are very different players and yet they all fit the UConn mold with their versatility, intelligence, and commitment level.

And of course there are a lot of unknowns about this group including even who will emerge as the best player from this group. Gaby Williams has the unique athleticism to do it, but has ahd the two ACL injuries. Kia Nurse certainly could be that player and has a decent shot to start as a freshman in my opinion because of how solid her foundation is as a player, but her ceiling is a little bit of mystery in terms of just how elite of a player she can be. We don't yet know how successful Courtney Ekmark was in her mission to help make herself a better basketball player, but at the very least she is a shooter that makes good decisions with the ball and Geno typically doesn't struggle to find playing time for those type of players. To what degree she was able to help open up her own ceiling we will see. Sadie Edwards grew up a UConn fan and her comments over the last year have reinforced that she completely understands the UConn program and the challenges she will face. For Sadie I think her story will be more about her development as she adapts her style of play to fit into the program that she dreamed of playing for as child. And that passion for UConn I expect will play a big role in binding these four together.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Scotter - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A couple things that Geno has said from time to time come to mind.

He has insisted that a vital consideration is that he especially likes recruits who really, really want to come to UConn. The four incoming freshmen clearly are eager to suit up in Storrs. Looking back only recently, Bria and Kaleena leap to mind, among many others.

On the other hand, the recruitment of some players that started srong but seemed to cool off include Bria Smith, Ariel Massengale, Westbeld, and McDaniel. And maybe Wilson as well.

He has also said that he usually gets an early gut feeling about recruits, either they are leaning our way or not. If so, it may account for his apparent confidence in next year's recruiting class (i.e., Samuelson, Boykin, Collier and Gorecki). We'll see.

Reaction Score
If the recruits keep coming back to visit several times on their own dime, Bria, Stewie, Mojeff, Tuck, ...there is a good chance they will come here and they will commit early.

Others came once out of curiosity and don't commit until late, chances are they won't come... (Bonnie Samuelson, A. Wilson, DD, Taber Spani, Karlie Samuelson, etc...)

I was really impressed with the way MoJeff played in the FF. There was no fear or nervousness whatsoever. She played with incredible intensity and energy, she was involved in every play. Next year, she will be leading this team to a 10th ship. But Geno was wrong. The guards didn't win the National Championship, this time, the posts did.

Reaction Score
KIB: is that "Bria" Hartley that leapt into your mind? I read a lot of things from a lot of sources, and I take many of them with a grain of salt.........often with a handful if it is our national news media. Readers can decide how much salt, if any, to apply here.

But my recollection is that we read at the time of Hartley's recruitment that Coach was in her living room and she was telling him that she was going to take yet another visit to some other campus. He was reported (according to my increasingly imperfect recall) to have responded with something like: "OK, well how about I call your dad back in here and tell him that you and UCONN are off the table." Not intended to be an exact quote at this point.....and the quoter (?) at the original point was probably not exact either. But close enough for government work perhaps.

Not my choice for an example of eagerness leaping to my mind vs. numbers of other signees. However, these days I'm pleased as punch if ANYthing leaps to my mind.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UCONN sure could have used a post though. Stewart, Stokes, and Tuck (who may be hobbled, and if not, won't have had much offseason to develop). More thin than this year.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
You are right that a young post would have been nice. KML can rebound with th best of them. Nurse & Ekmark appear to have the bodies and will to be rebounders. Abbie has the athleticism. We'll be alright!!! Kelly and Tiffany were great rebounders. Kiah needs to develop a mid range jump shot , and we need Morgan Healthy by Tmt time!!!!

Reaction Score
Really excited about the incoming freshman class. Can't wait to see them play. It's nice to have four recruits who really, really want to play here. I was so tired of reading about Wilson. I'm glad that's over.

Reaction Score
You are right that a young post would have been nice. KML can rebound with th best of them. Nurse & Ekmark appear to have the bodies and will to be rebounders. Abbie has the athleticism. We'll be alright!!! Kelly and Tiffany were great rebounders. Kiah needs to develop a mid range jump shot , and we need Morgan Healthy by Tmt time!!!!

Who is Abbie?

Reaction Score
Next year's team has what is typically deep post depth for a ntaional championship contender and still would have enough post depth to comfortably win a national championship even if Morgan Tuck never made it back. A national championship winner really only needs 2 players that can defend the 5 position given the size and strength required and then fill in as needed with players that can defend the 4 position which KML has already shown she can do for big minutes and several of the freshman are certainly capable of doing as well. Several of those kids are bigger than they are being given credit for.

UConn has won a lot of championships with only 2 players over 6 feet tall defending the post going all the way back to 1995. I have no anxiety what so ever about Stewie, Kiah, and KML getting the job done and that Morgan will be back is all the insurance I need.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Next year's team has what is typically deep post depth for a ntaional championship contender and still would have enough post depth to comfortably win a national championship even if Morgan Tuck never made it back. A national championship winner really only needs 2 players that can defend the 5 position given the size and strength required and then fill in as needed with players that can defend the 4 position which KML has already shown she can do for big minutes and several of the freshman are certainly capable of doing as well. Several of those kids are bigger than they are being given credit for.

UConn has won a lot of championships with only 2 players over 6 feet tall defending the post going all the way back to 1995. I have no anxiety what so ever about Stewie, Kiah, and KML getting the job done and that Morgan will be back is all the insurance I need.

That's great, but one injury and then you are hurting. That's the point of depth. So if Tuck doesn't make it fully back, and Stokes (or someone) goes down, it doesn't leave UCONN in a great spot.

And you can wish for Aja to go elsewhere all you want, but to think we are better off without her is dumb.

That said, I still think we win it all next year.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
KIB: is that "Bria" Hartley that leapt into your mind? I read a lot of things from a lot of sources, and I take many of them with a grain of salt....often with a handful if it is our national news media. Readers can decide how much salt, if any, to apply here.

But my recollection is that we read at the time of Hartley's recruitment that Coach was in her living room and she was telling him that she was going to take yet another visit to some other campus. He was reported (according to my increasingly imperfect recall) to have responded with something like: "OK, well how about I call your dad back in here and tell him that you and UCONN are off the table."
I remember the article in the Courant that described this (it appeared after Bria was playing in Storrs). Apparently she had promised someone that she would not make a decision before visiting the other campus, and felt that she had to honor that. Apparently Geno wasn't sure whether that was genuine, and had to go to the point of threatening to withdraw the offer to get her to be honest about her dilemma.

In my opinion, making that public was not Geno's finest decision. That sort of thing (like many of the details of Samarie Walker's departure) should never have been made public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse certainly could be that player and has a decent shot to start as a freshman in my opinion because of how solid her foundation is as a player, but her ceiling is a little bit of mystery in terms of just how elite of a player she can be.

Everything I read about Kia Nurse says she is a very good defense player. If she is really good, pairing her eventually with Moriah Jefferson. would be very interesting.

Reaction Score
UCONN sure could have used a post though. Stewart, Stokes, and Tuck (who may be hobbled, and if not, won't have had much offseason to develop). More thin than this year.

I tend to agree with you, however, KML was really crashing boards late in the season and in the NCAA tourney. Also how deep at the post were the 2008-09 and 2009-10 teams?

Reaction Score
I have to agree. Five guards in two years, one injured, doesn't seem to bode a continuous string of NCs (I'm greedy). As many have said, a lot depends on Morgan (also injured). Either way we'll be successful, but NCs??????

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
KML has referred to herself as a post albeit a wing-post. Of Stewie she said, "she ain't no post."

Reaction Score
I am sorry for disagreeing but this team needs a post player. You have three. Yes we only had three this past year but none of the three returning players has the mindset or skills that SD had. Yes Kia is getting better and Morgan hopefully fully healed. I don't know much about the four young ladies but again hopefully one of them has a stop and pop shot aka Sue and Bria. The team will win of course. They will win the AAC, their tournament, make it to the FF then we will see what happens. Undefeated again hopefully but maybe not. Wilson going to SC was a no brainer. IF she wanted to come up north i doubt that the Lebron behavior would have taken place. I wish her well as I have family in South Carolina so I may see her play. Wishing UC the health and success once again this coming season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We will be better with one, yup, need one, not immediately, in two years, absolutely.

But taking the wrong one an be a huge mistake and the real need is to bring one in not because they will contribute immediately but rather to give them time to be integrated into the system.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
(1) Is is it gonna be a summer of this? YEP
(2) Same posters as last year, and year before? YEP

anxious-200x200.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why is Wilson not coming to UConn front page news on the Courant website, I know its good to have anything about wbb on the front page but geesh!

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, UConn did OK with Tamika Williams @ 6'2" in the post, didn't they? A'ja would have been a nice get, but the four athletes we have coming in are top notch...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, UConn did OK with Tamika Williams @ 6'2" in the post, didn't they? A'ja would have been a nice get, but the four athletes we have coming in are top notch...
Something of a different era. There are more 6'3+" posts with skills than ever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom