Notre Dame's Ruth Riley on UConn, Geno, and WBB | The Boneyard

Notre Dame's Ruth Riley on UConn, Geno, and WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For former WNBA star Ruth Riley, the dominance of University of Connecticut in women’s college basketball does not present a problem.

It’s the catalyst that should raise the bar for the sport in the United States.

“You respect your opponent and you respect the fact that you know it’s an incredible program,” Riley, who won Olympic Gold in the Athens Games in 2004, said Thursday afternoon at Marriott Hotel.

Riley said UConn coach Geno Auriemma was the person who engineered the rise of women’s basketball in the US.

[LINK] to full article

Reaction Score
For former WNBA star Ruth Riley, the dominance of University of Connecticut in women’s college basketball does not present a problem.
It’s the catalyst that should raise the bar for the sport in the United States.
“You respect your opponent and you respect the fact that you know it’s an incredible program,” Riley, who won Olympic Gold in the Athens Games in 2004, said Thursday afternoon at Marriott Hotel.

Riley said UConn coach Geno Auriemma was the person who engineered the rise of women’s basketball in the US.
[LINK] to full article
Bet Muffet appreciates this :D

Reaction Score
That was a great read. Great to hear and read a different perspective (and the right one btw) on the dominance of UConn's women's basketball program. The Huskies dominance is great for the game. The bar is raised. High standards are in place. I mean, great teams win when they understand the concept of team work, hard work, and being unselfish. UConn has that and others are getting there, it just takes time.

Reaction Score
There's probably a few down south.
Pat Summitt? She had been coaching 20 years before UCONN won its first championship. I don't remember much excitement about WBB before then. Not everybody gets Geno bu they cannot deny the fact that when he says something about improving the game it is not solely with the intention of helping UCONN.

Reaction Score
Bet Muffet appreciates this :D
I was right when I loved Riley nice kid, nice woman and unafraid to speak the truth. If you were at RU's Brown Arena at the BE tourney when Uconn was playing against Riley, her Senior year, you would have heard me screaming put in Paige--Geno did and Riley ate her up-- some coach I am!! Paige Sauer from Mid West City OKla. Once Riley learned how to pass she became a huge force all around,

Reaction Score
Pat Summitt? She had been coaching 20 years before UCONN won its first championship. I don't remember much excitement about WBB before then. Not everybody gets Geno bu they cannot deny the fact that when he says something about improving the game it is not solely with the intention of helping UCONN.
You should (I was going to say you've got to) admit that the Huskies Vs the Lady Vols early on made great theater--not the least of which was the brash guy from Philly and the (apparent) Southern Bell from Tn going head to head. ESPN had a lot to do with that too.
Geno speaks somethings to get a rise from certain areas, but when he speaks the improvements needed in College WBB it IS FOR THE GAME, not for Uconn. His effort to use the "men" size ball has gained momentum. Selling the Game as "below the rim" has brought in fans and when they see young women like Moriah Jefferson whiz by, stop, hold, speed up and layup thru the trees--WoW is there a better game anywhere???

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with her remarks.

There is a lot wrong with the fact that other teams cannot rise up and have competitive games with UConn.

As I said in another thread, the problem is neither UConn's excellence nor how many championships they win. They can and should continue to be excellent and they can, for that matter, win as many championships as they can.

BUT, the fact that they dominate the opponent in almost every game has to change for the sake of Women's Basketball. The making of the change is not, of course on UConn, but on the opponents, but this part of UConn's dominance is simply not good for the game in my long-standing opponent.

Now, who is going to "rise up" as I put it is the mystery.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
As a Vol fan, I have no problem with Uconn dominance. It is what it is and I think Geno has deserved what he has won. I know at one time, Tennessee was the dominant program, so for me to think any different would be a bit hypocritical. I do think what helps allow super dominant teams like UConn and Tennessee to thrive and become almost unbeatable for years on end is the fact that you don't have players leaving early for the pros like you do in the Men's game. If the WNBA suddenly became insanely popular and the salaries increased tenfold, then hey I think the landscape of WCBB would change drastically. I don't see this trend starting anytime soon either..As far as parity is concerned in the women's game, there is parity. The only problem is, right now, it's UCONN and everyone else lol..

Reaction Score
I remember her getting asked by a sideline reporter at the Final Four how it felt to finally beat UConn after getting swept by them in the regular season. In fact, ND had won big in South Bend that year (and lost on the Sue Bird at the buzzer shot in the BE finals). You could tell she was puzzled and could have embarrassed the guy, but she answered the question as if he didn't make a mistake (something like - "UConn's a great program and we respect them, but our goal is to win a national title, no matter who is in our way").

Always thought that was exceptionally classy. Especially since the sideline reporter was a guy I went to college with who was new to major network coverage, and his career has done just fine since.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
As a Vol fan, I have no problem with Uconn dominance. It is what it is and I think Geno has deserved what he has won. I know at one time, Tennessee was the dominant program, so for me to think any different would be a bit hypocritical. I do think what helps allow super dominant teams like UConn and Tennessee to thrive and become almost unbeatable for years on end is the fact that you don't have players leaving early for the pros like you do in the Men's game. If the WNBA suddenly became insanely popular and the salaries increased tenfold, then hey I think the landscape of WCBB would change drastically. I don't see this trend starting anytime soon either..As far as parity is concerned in the women's game, there is parity. The only problem is, right now, it's UCONN and everyone else lol..
Great post- thks!

Reaction Score
I think it's been rather exciting to see who will be champion of the losers these last few seasons.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think the "internet" help spread the word for Geno and those after '95.

I sort of remember Kim Mulkey before any other team or player... I wonder if it was because of a Championship game televised on TV. She caught my attention of WCBB

smulkey_02-pg-horizontal.JPG

T

TroyHouse66

BroadwayVa
<< Paige Sauer from Mid West City OKla.>>

Paige is from Fallon, Nevada.
She wound up transferring down to Oklahoma to finish high school. Fallon is such a small place.. the county seat of Churchill Co., (one of our "cow counties")... [As in... there are more cattle than people in the county]
At 6'-4" - 6' 5", she had so little competition to challenge her development, that she needed a bigger talent base area. IIRC, she had family down there & used that as her springboard.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Players like Ruth Riley - people who are strongly competitive and want to win, who have confidence in their abilities, and who love their game - don't mind competition because they always believe they have a chance to beat the other guy. UConn has a roster full of players with the same attitude as did the 2001 ND team and the earlier Tennessee teams. Geno's pretty up front about the fact he looks for players with attitudes like Ruth's. Part of the problem with the rest of women's hoops is that there are too many enablers out there who tell women either implicitly or explicitly that young ladies just need to try their best and it's OK to fail as long as we all work together, blah blah blah. We've heard Geno mock this "It's all right, sweetheart, I know you tried" attitude before. FWIW, I think Muffet thinks more along the lines of Geno than not which is possibly part of the reason for her success.

The game needs more Ruth Rileys. Off the court, she's an intelligent, classy lady who seems like a very nice person. But when she was on the court, you'd better get out of her way or she'd just mow you down and give you a stare as she ran over you. "Classy woman" and "fierce competitor" don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
The game needs more Ruth Rileys. Off the court, she's an intelligent, classy lady who seems like a very nice person. But when she was on the court, you'd better get out of her way or she'd just mow you down and give you a stare as she ran over you. "Classy woman" and "fierce competitor" don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Nan nailed it!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
that's what I liked about Renee and Big Shot Bria... competitiveness and confidence, commonly known today as "swag".

and a few don't want to put in the extra work... they want to enjoy the normal college life and their coaches don't push the issue

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
As one who started following WCBB from the early '80s (but only in March when everything was set for the tournament), I think there is a bit of revisionist remembrance about how the sport developed. Obviously there was nothing even remotely like the detailed year-round coverage we have now, but WCBB did leave a memorable mark in the early '80s, though it did not necessarily grow strongly for the next decade partly due to a simple fact -- no dominating "name" team that could give the sport an ID that general sports fans around the country could latch on to. But the NC game was far more accessible back then. I see three stages in the development in the NCAA area that would bring about a time where Riley could be the household name among at least WCBB teams by the time she propelled her team to a championship.

1. Lady Trojans, Lady Techsters, and the Horns (1982-86). Nothing put WCBB on the map for media coverage like Chery Miller's USC crew with Cynthia Cooper, Rhonda Windham, and the McGee twins on the way to consecutive NCs. They looked and kind of played like what you would expect a guy's team of the old UCLA teams to play like, and Miller had a certain brashness that was very media friendly. The Lady Techsters as the first NCAA champions with Kim Mulkey as the star were also a great story and would continue to be a force for almost two decades after their first NC win in 1982, but their reach as a small school in a small league would have its limits. The Horns had three great years that finally culminated in that magic perfect season in 1986 under Jody Conradt, and they were a big school though they didn't seem to carry the same media presence as the cool USC team had.

2. That Vols - Cardinal Era (1987-94). Following the Horns' perfect season, eight years followed when no team would win consecutive championships to solidify a claim to a dominating dynastic team. UTenn won three NCs and made two other FFs and their fan support started developing to rabid proportions, and Stanford would claim two titles. The Lady Techsters got a second title, Swopes led Texas Tech to an NC, and UNC would win a nail-biter over LA Tech. There was definitely some growth as the NC game continued to be shown on network TV and the audience was far greater for the event than at any time after ESPN exclusively picked it up in 1996. But overall, the sport was missing that one key drawing factor, a media-grabbing rivalry.

3. Huskies and Vols and the Big Jump (1995-2004). Nothing like a knockdown, drag-out, oft-bitter rivalry between a team from the Northeast and the South with very different personalities to get the media juices flowing. With lots of marquee players and the two top teams staking their claims to be the best with not only consecutive championships but three-peats, there was definitely some elite name identity in the sport that still allowed some room for a team from Indiana (like Riley's 2001 Irish squad or the 1999 Boilermakers) to occasionally break through for a title. One huge drawback that lasts till this day was that almost as soon as the era started the NC game was taken away from network TV, though you can say that ESPN thus became more invested in the sport. That does allow the trogs though to claim that WCBB goes largely unwatched compared to the men's game because of the 7:1 or 6:1 disparity in viewers, where at one time like back in 1995 it was a less dour 3:1 or so, but again the differences between free viewership and paid cable viewership are big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom