Notre Dame should have fouled Cauley-Stein | The Boneyard

Notre Dame should have fouled Cauley-Stein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With 34 sec on the clock - foul Stein and put him on the line for a 1 and 1. Brey coached a great game until the last 2 minutes

Reaction Score
Absolutely horrible decision to blow the last TO with 35 seconds left and UK with the ball. Wtf.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
With 34 sec on the clock - foul Stein and put him on the line for a 1 and 1. Brey coached a great game until the last 2 minutes

Thats a bold thing to say and would never be the call there... What shouldve happned are way better calls on their late possessions... The isos for grant came so late in the clock and ended with jumpers... Hes quick and can get to the rim wouldve liked to see that.

Reaction Score
could not agree more. Piss poor decisions by Brey and his players in the last 5 minutes. They gave this one away.

Reaction Score
Cauley Stein is a 60% free throw shooter and hadn't been to the line all night - no brainer he should have been fouled. Especially with the way Towns was playing in the half court

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Mike Brey's coaching was pretty terrible in the last 2 minutes so there is a laundry list of things to criticize him for.

However, not fouling WCS is not one of them. You can't foul on purpose in a tie game. You have to trust your defense there. That's a no brainer.

Reaction Score
would have been nice if those 2 ND "shooters" would have made both of their free throws instead of both going 1 of 2....what happens? lose by 2

Reaction Score
They played a great game. Brey's mistake was not doubling Towns, who was 8-8 in the 2nd half. He should've watched tape of the 1999 Championship Game!
100% on the money. Some might say that it would have lead to open shot for Harrison but at least they are lower percentage.

Reaction Score
I thought they should've fouled anyone that shoots less than 75%. worst case you're down two and still have 2 1-1s if you don't score. Best case you get the last shot tied.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Tough loss for Notre Dame as that was the best game they could play, minus the missed foul shots down the stretch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Towns changed the game down 2 with 2 left when he bullied to basket to tie.

Reaction Score
I thought they should've fouled anyone that shoots less than 75%. worst case you're down two and still have 2 1-1s if you don't score. Best case you get the last shot tied.
No coach would ever do that.

Reaction Score
If you're playing Kentucky and the Harrison's are shooting well, you tip your cap and move on. But usually they're not that good. To not double off them more was insane.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Brey's game planning was working to perfection, they had the game won. And I'm no Mike Brey fan.

They missed FT's, didn't run good offense down the stretch (that's why JC used to insist on playing his way in January making our offense look ugly so they would win in March) AND UK made the plays

I do think he over coached the last few minutes and wasted time outs

There is no way he should foul with the game tied and 30 seconds left, I can't believe that narrative is actually being sold

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
  1. All about attitude. ND played the last two minutes expecting to lose; KT played expecting to win.
  2. There is a reason why ND hasn't won much under Brey. We saw it tonight. He was just as lost as his players.
  3. Ref blew charging call.

Reaction Score
They played a great game. Brey's mistake was not doubling Towns, who was 8-8 in the 2nd half. He should've watched tape of the 1999 Championship Game!

I was thinking the same thing.

Reaction Score
No way on #3, Jackson was sliding and didn't establish position/beat Harrison to the spot. That wasn't close to a charge.

1. All about attitude. ND played the last two minutes expecting to lose; KT played expecting to win.
  2. There is a reason why ND hasn't won much under Brey. We saw it tonight. He was just as lost as his players.
  3. Ref blew charging call.

Reaction Score
This game was giving my flashbacks to the George Mason game when we just couldn't stop their guys from backing us down.

Reaction Score
Under normal circumstances your right - you don't foul with the scored tied. However given this situation I disagree - if your ND you don't want to take that game into overtime. They were clearly fatigued the last couple of minutes. By not fouling - at best you get to go to overtime. By fouling - even if Stein makes 2 you can win it with a 3 pointer which is your teams strength.

Reaction Score
I think in the bigger picture Brey decided(last 7 or 8 minutes) to keep the kid in there underneath with 4 fouls for offense, rather than sub and foul Townes to make him earn some ft's and slow him down. I think when you continually let a guy catch and shoot it in down there it only gets worse. He gets more confident, and they did nothing to try and interrupt that. Turned the game momentum.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I think in the bigger picture Brey decided(last 7 or 8 minutes) to keep the kid in there underneath with 4 fouls for offense, rather than sub and foul Townes to make him earn some ft's and slow him down. I think when you continually let a guy catch and shoot it in down there it only gets worse. He gets more confident, and they did nothing to try and interrupt that. Turned the game momentum.
Think of the good side of things. When we visit the Hall of Fame in Springfield and we won't have to stare at a bust with a fake turtle
neck shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69