Notre Dame lamenting conference realignment - Hockey | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame lamenting conference realignment - Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The B1G is about equal treatment for all conference members. Notre Dame, and Texas for that matter, have shown they have no intentions of being treated equally to anyone else. Both schools are cancers to any conference they are in and I hope the B1G stays far away from both schools for that reason.

So why do my friends from Nebraska claim that they are getting screwed by the big ten with respect to equal treatment by the conference.

Reaction Score
So why do my friends from Nebraska claim that they are getting screwed by the big ten with respect to equal treatment by the conference.

It takes 6 or 7 years of withholdings to "buy" a full equity share of BTN. They won't get a full payout until that point. The founding BTN partners had direct expenses and sacrificed some TV revenue in starting up BTN.

In the meantime Nebraska's former Big 12 friends have surpassed them in league payouts, but in a few years they will more than make up for that.

Reaction Score
It takes 6 or 7 years of withholdings to "buy" a full equity share of BTN. They won't get a full payout until that point. The founding BTN partners had direct expenses and sacrificed some TV revenue in starting up BTN.

In the meantime Nebraska's former Big 12 friends have surpassed them in league payouts, but in a few years they will more than make up for that.

So B1gosu was just kidding when he said there was equal treatment for all conference members in the big ten. Evidently the big ten like the ACC treats different teams differently. They just don't like to admit it.

Reaction Score
So B1gosu was just kidding when he said there was equal treatment for all conference members in the big ten. Evidently the big ten like the ACC treats different teams differently. They just don't like to admit it.

Not sure about that. Which Big Ten members who have joined since the BTN was formed were given full shares right away? Or allowed a new member to be independent in football, but still be able to take a bowl spot from a full member?

Reaction Score

Read carefully what I said.

BTN was a huge risk. The Big Ten took it, and it's been imitated been never duplicated. If the new members had the cash the could just buy in and get their full payout. In Maryland's case they took more cash up front, less later.

3 years from now everyone will be very happy. A partial payout will be more than other conferences' full payout.

Reaction Score
Not sure about that. Which Big Ten members who have joined since the BTN was formed were given full shares right away? Or allowed a new member to be independent in football, but still be able to take a bowl spot from a full member?

Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, et al..received full shares of ACC distribution immediately. The B1G does have a different philosophy...Rutgers and Maryland will receive full distribution shares in the 20-21 academic year.

Reaction Score
I think most ND fans believe that Hockey's impact on Notre Dame's decision on joining a conference is about the same as women's interhall softball. That is, it doesn't come into the conversation. With respect to the big 10, I don't want to be there, it would perpetuate the idea that we are a Midwestern program competing with Michigan and Wisconsin and not the USC's, LSU's and FSU's of the world. That said, if conference realignment continues on its current path, it might be something that would make sense for us, so I would never rule it out. But with all that said, and considering our lack of success in any sport over the past 20 years, why does anyone care if we do or don't join a conference.

The only people that don't consider Notre Dame a Midwestern Program are Notre Dame Fans. Its a shared delusion kept sacred among Domers. Personally I don't care whether ND ever joins the B1G or not, but the reasons that they should are painfully obvious to anyone who doesn't have shamrocks in their eyes.

Reaction Score
Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, et al..received full shares of ACC distribution immediately. The B1G does have a different philosophy...Rutgers and Maryland will receive full distribution shares in the 20-21 academic year.

If and when the ACC Network happens, and if the ACC gives full shares to new members after that point then I'll agree with you that the ACC and Big Ten have different philosophies regarding this issue.

Reaction Score
The only people that don't consider Notre Dame a Midwestern Program are Notre Dame Fans. Its a shared delusion kept sacred among Domers. Personally I don't care whether ND ever joins the B1G or not, but the reasons that they should are painfully obvious to anyone who doesn't have shamrocks in their eyes.

I don't disagree with you at all. People consider ND to be a Midwestern program and they think the big ten is a Midwestern conference, and therefore we are a perfect match. But that is the same issue that UConn fans are fighting. Is it more of a delusion to think ND should be in the ACC or that UConn should be in the big ten. UConn fans like the idea of being in a midwestern conference, and ND fans like the idea of not being in a Midwestern conference.

Reaction Score
If and when the ACC Network happens, and if the ACC gives full shares to new members after that point then I'll agree with you that the ACC and Big Ten have different philosophies regarding this issue.

Yea that was not an apples to apples comparison. The new B1G members (Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland) all received full shares in conference revenue except for the BTN payouts. Those were treated differently because it involved equity.

Reaction Score

B1gosu stated that the big ten was all about treating all of their teams equally. We were just pointing out that they don't. I never said the the ACC treated all their teams the same, just that the big ten does treat teams differently.

Reaction Score
B1gosu stated that the big ten was all about treating all of their teams equally. We were just pointing out that they don't. I never said the the ACC treated all their teams the same, just that the big ten does treat teams differently.

It doesn't seem you're grasping the rationale of what he's saying. They do treat teams equally.

The original 11 members that started the BTN, had to pay expenses to start up the network out of their own pocket before receiving a share of revenue. Likewise, the three new members are having similar amounts withheld, deducing the original shares by the new amounts, as a buy-in to become full shareholding members and thereby creating equality in the amount each program contributed.

In other words, the Big Ten is making it to where the new members are investing the same way the other 11 had to invest. There's no inequality about that concept.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you at all. People consider ND to be a Midwestern program and they think the big ten is a Midwestern conference, and therefore we are a perfect match. But that is the same issue that UConn fans are fighting. Is it more of a delusion to think ND should be in the ACC or that UConn should be in the big ten. UConn fans like the idea of being in a midwestern conference, and ND fans like the idea of not being in a Midwestern conference.

We like the idea of not being in the AAC. We'd like the idea of being in the PAC12 if that's what it takes.

Originally, I don't think anyone would have argued that the ACC was the best fit for UConn, but given the dedication with which that conference and some of our former conference mates have seen to the attempted destruction of our athletic program, our preferences have changed.

On the Big Ten, they treat their members the same - but newbies have to pay down the investment existing members have already made in the Big Ten Network, etc. New ACC teams just have to be able to fit ESPN's teat in their mouth - there's no equity cost involved there.

Reaction Score
We like the idea of not being in the AAC. We'd like the idea of being in the PAC12 if that's what it takes.

Originally, I don't think anyone would have argued that the ACC was the best fit for UConn, but given the dedication with which that conference and some of our former conference mates have seen to the attempted destruction of our athletic program, our preferences have changed.

On the Big Ten, they treat their members the same - but newbies have to pay down the investment existing members have already made in the Big Ten Network, etc. New ACC teams just have to be able to fit ESPN's teat in their mouth - there's no equity cost involved there.

So UConn doesn't want to be in the ACC for the same reason that ND doesn't want to be in the big ten. At what point should UConn get over their treatment by those ACC teams that didn't want them. I'm still not ready to get past the way ND was treated. Maybe some day (but not yet).

pj

Reaction Score
So UConn doesn't want to be in the ACC for the same reason that ND doesn't want to be in the big ten. At what point should UConn get over their treatment by those ACC teams that didn't want them. I'm still not ready to get past the way ND was treated. Maybe some day (but not yet).

When the ACC invites us, we'll get over our mistreatment in about 24 hours.

Until then, we're going to try to make ourselves attractive to the B1G.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

This is why people absolutely cannot stand Notre Dame fans - you're thick as f--- and almost unbearably narcissistic.

You think Notre Dame was mistreated by the Big Ten?

Son, spend a day in our shoes.

We'd go to the ACC in a flat heartbeat even though you and the rest of them gleefully burned our house down around us.

Reaction Score
So you go from saying you don't want to be in the ACC to saying you'd go in a heartbeat. And you think we are hard to understand.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So you go from saying you don't want to be in the ACC to saying you'd go in a heartbeat. And you think we are hard to understand.

Did you go to Notre Dame? You seem too dumb.

I said we'd go anywhere.

Reaction Score
Yea that was not an apples to apples comparison. The new B1G members (Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland) all received full shares in conference revenue except for the BTN payouts. Those were treated differently because it involved equity.

Nebraska's shortfall has averaged about $10M while BTN payouts have averaged around $8M. I suppose if they are projecting an increase in BTN revenue over the next three years and the delta for Nebraska stays at $10M it could balance itself out. There are other exclusions beyond the BTN. Also, each of the schools integration plans are different and somewhat dependent on exit fees and the revenue of the previous conference. Maryland front loaded their deal and had the most leverage of all the schools. Of course, at the end of the day, all the schools stand to make far more than they would have in their previous conferences.

Edit: It's also possible that the buy-in exceeds the current BTN payouts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you go to Notre Dame? You seem too dumb.

I said we'd go anywhere.

Does it really matter if I went to ND? Most ND fans didn't go to ND, which I see as a good thing.

Reaction Score
Nebraska's shortfall has averaged about $10M while BTN payouts have averaged around $8M. I suppose if they are projecting an increase in BTN revenue over the next three years and the delta for Nebraska stays at $10M it could balance itself out. There are other exclusions beyond the BTN. Also, each of the schools integration plans are different and somewhat dependent on exit fees and the revenue of the previous conference. Maryland front loaded their deal and had the most leverage of all the schools. Of course, at the end of the day, all the schools stand to make far more than they would have in their previous conferences.

I never said that joining the big ten was a bad idea for these teams, I simply stated that all the teams are not treated equally.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Does it really matter if I went to ND? Most ND fans didn't go to ND, which I see as a good thing.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, are we?

Reaction Score
Not the sharpest tool in the shed, are we?

OK, for those who think it does matter, yes, I went to ND, and I have one child who graduated from ND three years ago, and another one who is currently a junior there. But I was a big fan long before I went there, and didn't want to see ND in the big ten before I went there, and I still don't.

Reaction Score
I never said that joining the big ten was a bad idea for these teams, I simply stated that all the teams are not treated equally.

I wasn't accusing you of anything. In fact, I was responding to someone else's post.

Reaction Score

I worded that a little murky, but yea, the buy-in exceeds the BTN payout which is why they are paying that amount. Technically speaking, all the new schools are receiving a full share of the conference payout, but they're being deducted an amount that would pay off the BTN share buy-in.

So they're receiving all the monies from gate sharing, bowl arrangements, tier-1 rights, men's basketball fund, etc., and then being deducted an amount that suffices the buy-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom