Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2023-24 Season (merged)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
KK Bransford Enters Portal out of Notre Dame.

Sophomore guard KK Bransford entered the portal out of Notre Dame.

Unfortunately, I can see why. With Olivia Miles and/or Hannah Hidalgo probably both moving into the starting line-up in ND's backcourt season, they'll take starting position-availability away from KK, as does Sonia Citron, who is returning for her senior year at wing. KK has two years of eligibility left and wants to get prime responsibilities. (Of course, one might say she was playing like a starter, but I can see the other point of view.)

Even off-the-bench minutes were not guaranteed, with Cass Prosper and Emma Risch both coming back from injury.
Prosper is know for her all-around athletic ability which leads to good defense and open-court rushes, while Emma Risch is a 6'1" sharpshoote.

Is Jenna Brown coming back for another year? Even if she is, Irish are, once again, running low on roster numbers and it could be time to scout the portal: I'd suggest looking at Saylor Poffenbarger who could play a tough and ready wing, who could allow Soni to shift over to the two from time to time. Or Maddie Scherr, who is a combo guard, who may want to play for a championship. Lastly, if Cass Prosper will play the "tough" guard role that Bransford filled, how about a younger form of Anna DeWolfe, like MacKenzie Hare from Marquette or Shay Ciezki, long-range bombers, to pare with Emma Risch, another shooter?

While it would be great to keep the whole gang together at ND for a big run in 2024-25, I can see why KK would want to get some guaranteed prime=time opportunity in this day and age.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is DeWolfe done?

With brown westbeld watson TBD, Irish are at 7, correct?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Is DeWolfe done?

With brown westbeld watson TBD, Irish are at 7, correct?
Yes, that was Anna DeWolfe's last year.

If KK Bransford goes somewhere else, Irish currently at 6:
1) H Hidalgo
2) 'Liv Miles
3) Soni Citron
4) Cass Prosper
5) Emma Risch
6) Kate Koval
with word to be heard on:
7) Maddy Westbeld
8) Kylee Watson
9) Nat Marshall
10) Jenna Brown.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It looks like Ms. Hidalgo is not in the transfer portal. Straight from her (initially on her Instagram Story).
Ok, now to move onto the matters at hand: getting that roster from 7 scholarship players to, say, 10?

Reaction Score
It looks like Ms. Hidalgo is not in the transfer portal. Straight from her (initially on her Instagram Story).
Ok, now to move onto the matters at hand: getting that roster from 7 scholarship players to, say, 10?

How about to 12 or 13? Tall task obviously.
Thanks Hannah, for shutting all of that down.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
How about to 12 or 13? Tall task obviously.
Thanks Hannah, for shutting all of that down.
They're at 8, assuming Maddy is indeed coming back and including Kylee Watson, who is injured and probably won't play.
So, really 7. Niele hasn't played that many people and is very particular about who she wants on her team, so finding more than 3 folks in the transfer seems about as much as one will get.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
One of my favorite ND players and alums is one Kayla Mcbride; a.k.a. K-Mac.
She's been named to the All EuroLeague first team and just helped Fenerbahce to the Finals of the Euro Tournament. Her performance was top-shelf.

Reaction Score
They're at 8, assuming Maddy is indeed coming back and including Kylee Watson, who is injured and probably won't play.
So, really 7. Niele hasn't played that many people and is very particular about who she wants on her team, so finding more than 3 folks in the transfer seems about as much as one will get.
My prediction is Iriafen chooses South Bend and Niele’s biggest headache is figuring out how to best use one of the best backcourts in D1. The sky is the limit with Hannah Olivia and Soni healthy. It should be a great season!

Reaction Score
I think Koval is the non-SC recruit that has surprised me the most in all star games. I think she'll make a strong impact next year. If you should also get Iriafen that would be a tremendous frontcourt upgrade.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Maddy Westbeld (Finally) Announces She's Coming Back to Play for Irish in 2024-25

In any case, huge and positive news for the Irish who now project a starting lineup of:
  • Olivia Miles
  • Hannah Hidalgo
  • Sonia Citron
  • Maddy Westbeld
  • Kate Koval
and
- Cass Prosper, Emma Risch: coming off the bench

With Kylee Watson injured and rehab time unknown, the Irish still need to hit the portal hard for depth.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles Back with Irish Full-Time; Here She's Practicing with Hannah Hidalgo

If you take a look at the "'Liv" video within the X boxes, she throws one of what I consider her signature moves: a sidearm skip pass to the three-pt. line shooter (in this case, Hannah Hidalgo). Great to see those horn-rim glasses back on the court.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Hey, thanks for posting!

Glad KK decided not to "go out the door" and stay in Joyce Center.
She brings a lot of versatility to the backcourt, from rebounding and defense to the ability to attack the basket and spell one of the lead guards by bringing up the ball from time to time.

So, this probably means that Coach Ivey is not going to be looking for any more guards at this point.
Here's the current roster make-up for ND.

1) H Hidalgo
2) 'Liv Miles
3) Soni Citron
4) Cass Prosper
5) Emma Risch
6) Kate Koval
7) Maddy Westbeld
8) KK Bransford
9) Kylee Watson (apparently staying for Covid year, but injured due to ACL injury suffered in ACC Playoffs)

Reaction Score
Happy for KK and for Niele. Hopefully the current boot situation isn't long-term and heals relatively fast. She could use a summer of health and growth. She lost some of her explosiveness from her freshman year. I'm sure she'd like to get back to that, and develop a more consistent shot. If she can be a double digit scoring threat off the bench I think it's sets her up nicely to start her senior year.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Happy for KK and for Niele. Hopefully he current boot situation isn't long-term and heals relatively fast. She use a summer of health and growth. She lost some of her explosiveness from her freshman year. I'm sure she'd like to get back to that, and develop a more consistent shot. If she can be a double digit scoring threat off the bench I think it's sets her up nicely to start her senior year.
Here's an article on both KK Bransford and the overall Irish roster situation.
BTW, Kylee Watson has had surgery on that ACL injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom