Nothing Says Gutless Like An SEC Schedule | The Boneyard

Nothing Says Gutless Like An SEC Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
2016 SEC schedules are out and as always its hilarious to see the hoops many of these schools will jump through to avoid coming north of Kentucky or playing a true road game at all costs.

http://www.secsports.com/article/14000433/sec-announces-2016-football-schedules

Auburn
DATE OPPONENT
Sept. 3 CLEMSON
Sept. 10 ARKANSAS STATE
Sept. 17 TEXAS A&M
Sept. 24 LSU
Oct. 1 LOUISIANA-MONROE
Oct. 8 at Mississippi State
Oct. 15 open date
Oct. 22 ARKANSAS
Oct. 29 at Ole Miss
Nov. 5 VANDERBILT
Nov. 12 at Georgia
Nov. 19 ALABAMA A&M
Nov. 26 at Alabama

Florida
DATE OPPONENT
Sept. 3 UMASS
Sept. 10 KENTUCKY
Sept. 17 NORTH TEXAS
Sept. 24 at Tennessee
Oct. 1 at Vanderbilt
Oct. 8 LSU
Oct. 15 MISSOURI
Oct. 22 open date
Oct. 29 Georgia (Jacksonville)
Nov. 5 at Arkansas
Nov. 12 SOUTH CAROLINA
Nov. 19 PRESBYTERIAN
Nov. 26 at Florida State

Georgia
DATE OPPONENT
Sept. 3 North Carolina (Atlanta)
Sept. 10 NICHOLLS STATE
Sept. 17 at Missouri
Sept. 24 at Ole Miss
Oct. 1 TENNESSEE
Oct. 8 at South Carolina
Oct. 15 VANDERBILT
Oct. 22 open date
Oct. 29 Florida (Jacksonville)
Nov. 5 at Kentucky
Nov. 12 AUBURN
Nov. 19 LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE
Nov. 26 GEORGIA TECH

Kentucky
DATE OPPONENT
Sept. 3 SOUTHERN MISS
Sept. 10 at Florida
Sept. 17 NEW MEXICO STATE
Sept. 24 SOUTH CAROLINA
Oct. 1 at Alabama
Oct. 8 VANDERBILT
Oct. 15 open date
Oct. 22 MISSISSIPPI STATE
Oct. 29 at Missouri
Nov. 5 GEORGIA
Nov. 12 at Tennessee
Nov. 19 AUSTIN PEAY
Nov. 26 at Louisville

Reaction Score
I have always thought UConn football's non conference scheduling is misguided based on where we currently are in talent and stalled momentum. Now looking at those schedules above, I think it's insane.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have always said (and thought!) that I would love to see SEC schools play up north in the elements every now and again. Either schedule an end of season OOC game against a decent northern opponent OR have one of the New Year's Day/Playoff sites be somewhere like MetLife or Soldier Field.

Reaction Score
I have always thought UConn football's non conference scheduling is misguided based on where we currently are in talent and stalled momentum. Now looking at those schedules above, I think it's insane.
Pre- or post-Big East disintegration? Due to the Big East disintegration, the cluster phark that was Hathaway, etc. and given most football games are scheduled multiple years in advance, it's probably been fairly challenging. Insane in which way(s)?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Half of the SEC is ranked in the Preseason Top 25. All they really have to is hold serve and that includes beating up on the Georgia Southern's of the world. I mean Auburn was 6, Arkansas 18, Missouri 24, and Tennessee 25. None of those teams belong anywhere near the Top 25.

Which leads me to my argument: if polls were shelved until, say, week 4, then more emphasis would be made on what has actually taken place on the field versus what has taken place on the recruiting websites and biased media slants.

That, of course, will probably never happen because college football still is an "old money" club. That makes it tough for anybody who isn't in the club to make any sort of serious movement inside the top 25.

Reaction Score
That, of course, will probably never happen because college football still is an "old money" club. That makes it tough for anybody who isn't in the club to make any sort of serious movement inside the top 25.
The NFL is also an "old money" club. That's why they hate the Patriots.

zls44

Reaction Score
I have always said (and thought!) that I would love to see SEC schools play up north in the elements every now and again. Either schedule an end of season OOC game against a decent northern opponent OR have one of the New Year's Day/Playoff sites be somewhere like MetLife or Soldier Field.

A variant of this is why I've always thought SEC FB fans/Duke and UNC BB fans get WAAAAY too much credit.

Oh, they travel to all the away games? When most of them are withing 8 hour car drives and they don't have to worry about snow or ice?
What a shock!
Wait, the SEC title game is always sold out in Atlanta, which is near basically every SEC school via cheap air or short car ride?
You don't say!
They camp out for weeks before UNC/Duke in 55 degree weather?
No way!

zls44

Reaction Score
When you can schedule UMass, North Texas, and Presbyterian as 3 of your 4 OOC, you do it. Good on ya Gators.

I always like how they play a cupcake a week before the big rivalry game, even if it's at the end of the season.

I tell ya, nothing gets a team ready for Florida State like the Blue Hose. NOTHING.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think it's fair to point out how they schedule...but seriously...why would they change? The SEC ALWAYS gets the top bowls. There is no downside to the way they schedule other than UConn fans don't get to see Florida play in the snow.

zls....have you ever lived in SEC country? They could have the SEC championship game in Utah...and if it was Alabama Georgia it would immediately sell out. Unless you have lived in the southeast, you really don't understand how big SEC football is down here. The Falcons are pretty good here in Atlanta...I don't hear anyone talking about them. But I know that UGA is playing their 3rd string QB at the worlds largest cocktail party tomorrow.

Dooley

Reaction Score
A variant of this is why I've always thought SEC FB fans/Duke and UNC BB fans get WAAAAY too much credit.

Oh, they travel to all the away games? When most of them are withing 8 hour car drives and they don't have to worry about snow or ice?
What a shock!
Wait, the SEC title game is always sold out in Atlanta, which is near basically every SEC school via cheap air or short car ride?
You don't say!
They camp out for weeks before UNC/Duke in 55 degree weather?
No way!

This too. I'd love to see how many Alabama or LSU fans travel to New York in January when temps are expected to be in the 20s or 30s. I'm sure a few will make the trip...but nowhere near what they get when they play games a few hours from campus in New Orleans. Meanwhile, all of those "light traveling" northern fanbases would represent quite well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the SEC will clean up their act, especially if the playoffs expand to 8. For those old enough to remember, the Big East used to schedule like this in basketball in the late 80s, basically arguing that it was the best league, so Georgetown should be able to schedule the entire MEAC as its non-conference. That worked until an 11-12 team Big East started getting 3 and 4 teams in the dance several times in the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom