Not sure what this title should be but I think: Back Off | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not sure what this title should be but I think: Back Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nah, Really? are you sure you don't want to write him off forever? I think you are being too kind.

If a rookie coach was simply out schemed or if he just doesn't have the horses to go out and win, it's one thing.

To pull a stunt like that fake fg, kicking the fg down 28-7 and actually using/ defending the 2 QB even after the game just shows such a startling lack of competency he should be lucky he's given a game 2.

After the P era, I'm just fed up with this garbage.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If a rookie coach was simply out schemed or if he just doesn't have the horses to go out and win, it's one thing.

To pull a stunt like that fake fg, kicking the fg down 28-7 and actually using/ defending the 2 QB even after the game just shows such a startling lack of competency he should be lucky he's given a game 2.

GeorgeClooneyEyeRollDotGif

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
GeorgeClooneyEyeRollDotGif

The three decisions I wrote above are indefensible and more than some rookie mistake.

We'll see what he does against Stony Brook and hopefully he'll switch it up, but the terrifying thing is in the post game he actually believes it works.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

..it sorta seemed like a P coached game Friday. I expected McCummings to come running into the QB shotgun at some point.
D did treat it like an exhibition. Boise did not look Boise-ish against Ole Miss, but they were way better than us.

Reaction Score
We are not paying him for moral victories. Who cares if we played every kid on the team. We got it handed to us by an un-ranked team with 6 of their starters out. If you ignored the side line and put this guy in it all looked the same.

View attachment 6731

I think people need to simply do this: Imagine it was Coach P who coached that game last night. And the results were the exact same, with the same moves. How would this board react? There is no defense for the performance by the team on Friday. Coach Diaco had a poor game.

I don't think anyone is saying fire Diaco. I like the energy, promotion, focus, and organization he brought to UCONN when he was hired. This was his first game day as head coach, and it was a poor one. But people learn from their mistakes. The hope is that he analyzes what went wrong, and never makes those mistakes again. In am rooting for him. Big time. But I will be objective in my analysis.

I said in other posts, a couple of things, beside the penalties, ticked me off. The fact that he appeared to have pleasant conversations with the refs when they called some terrible penalties. The fact he let Delorenzo back in after he fumbled. The fact he didn't take Obi out for at least a couple of plays after another boneheaded penalty and the fact he said he wanted to get Puyol experience from the hash?????

Reaction Score
Really? First game of a new era and the coach made some really, strange calls. The QB changes should not be questioned? The ultra positive post game spin after a 25 point loss should be embraced? No negativity? Or is the negativity you perceive a harsh case of reality? The coach looked and acted like a first timer last night.

New flash. BYU is a good team. They would win the AAC but they are borderline top 25. Uconn should win next week. But nothing from last night tells me it is a lock. Boise,, I am not calling a loss but if they play and the coaches coach like last night, I would not put that in the lock win column. Growing pains is probably correct but as much as I want to see the team grow, the head coaching needs to grow even more.

How many years of coaching experience do you have? Have you ever built a program from scratch?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The three decisions I wrote above are indefensible and more than some rookie mistake.

We'll see what he does against Stony Brook and hopefully he'll switch it up, but the terrifying thing is in the post game he actually believes it works.

That is the scary part. He liked what he saw.

Reaction Score
There has to be a middle ground. Everyone here, even those being called negative, knew expectations should be tempered. The coaching decisions in some areas were pgdl like. Especially the decision to take out the qb who just marched you down to the 17 yd line. I still think Diaco cccould win big here, but his first game was a bit of did decision wise.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
How many years of coaching experience do you have? Have you ever built a program from scratch?
Well, Diaco has never built a program "from scratch" until now. One argument I don't understand is that coach X has Y many years as a position coach and coordinator, but the minute he becomes a head coach it's a learning experience. Running a program is a learning experience. Personnel changes, clock management, and coaching philosophy should all be a given at this stage of his career.

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP. I have posted similar sentiments in other reads. Chill out people.

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
We sucked last night.

Anybody that defends anything about last night just simply doesn't get it.

Diaco embarrassed himself and since it's game 1, I won't right him off forever but he was awful last night... Maybe even more so than the team which is saying a lot.

You really need to chill. The only people embarrassing themselves are certain folks on this board.

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
The three decisions I wrote above are indefensible and more than some rookie mistake. We'll see what he does against Stony Brook and hopefully he'll switch it up, but the terrifying thing is in the post game he actually believes it works.

Come off the ledge, sir! You have so much to live for!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You really need to chill. The only people embarrassing themselves are certain folks on this board.

But 50 people saw the field! Rejoice!

I don't get paid $2M/year to make football decisions, in fact I pay about $150/year to watch people do just that.

The things that were done two night, the things that were said after the game wouldn't be accepted at a high school in Texas - why are we supposed to tolerate it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In case some people here may have forgotten what things were like in the mid 1980's:

In his second game as head coach at UConn, Jim Calhoun lost to Yale. About a month later he lost to Hartford. Each occurred before losing our two best players (Robinson & Gamble) as academic casualties.

During his first season as head women's coach Geno won all of four Big East games and finished seventh in a nine school conference.

I'm confident that there were more than a few moments during those seasons where a fan could find something to complain about with the two new coaches and I do vividly remember (during the middle of the 1988-1989 season) hearing a few UConn fans griping that we made a mistake not hiring Tom Penders (who did everything but beg for the job for about four or five years prior to JC getting hired) as he was able to take URI to the sweet sixteen while we couldn't sniff the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
The team is MUCH better than it was last year at the same point. There were plenty of improvements, but we all have PTSD so things look way worse than they are.

That said, there were some very unsettling things done by our new young head coach.
  • The QB swapping was an utter disaster, and removing CC at the end of an early 3Q key drive in the red zone was a MONUMENTAL error that killed any chance we had of gaining momentum and allowing us to compete for the game. It was the height of insanity.
  • Next, the whole key to the BYU offense was the QB. It seems incredible that they did not have a Defensive scheme designed for containment of a highly mobile dual threat QB.
  • There was no spy on their QB. There was no inside blitz pressure. The backs were not playing up and jamming, thus not giving the d-line more time to penetrate and disrupt route timing. Inside out with edge contain is the only strategy that will work with QBs like that. I don't get it.
  • I did not mind the fake field goal, but the play design was terrible for the distance. A naked run for 15+ yards was stupid. If it was a pass play then pass the ball and throw it up on 4th. Not well coached or prepared.
  • Egregious decision not to take the ball on kick-off. NEVER give a Heisman candidate QB the chance to strike first and steal momentum out of the box and put you in a hole. D-lo's fumble is a direct result of coming under immediate pressure to perform.
I really like HCBD, but I think he mght be eating too much of his own BS with the whole "we are playing our game, and trying to get better" mantra. BYU was not a scrimmage. It was game to try and win.

Reaction Score
The team is MUCH better than it was last year at the same point. There were plenty of improvements, but we all have PTSD so things look way worse than they are.

That said, there were some very unsettling things done by our new young head coach.
  • The QB swapping was an utter disaster, and removing CC at the end of an early 3Q key drive in the red zone was a MONUMENTAL error that killed any chance we had of gaining momentum and allowing us to compete for the game. It was the height of insanity.
  • Next, the whole key to the BYU offense was the QB. It seems incredible that they did not have a Defensive scheme designed for containment of a highly mobile dual threat QB.
  • There was no spy on their QB. There was no inside blitz pressure. The backs were not playing up and jamming, thus not giving the d-line more time to penetrate and disrupt route timing. Inside out with edge contain is the only strategy that will work with QBs like that. I don't get it.
  • I did not mind the fake field goal, but the play design was terrible for the distance. A naked run for 15+ yards was stupid. If it was a pass play then pass the ball and throw it up on 4th. Not well coached or prepared.
  • Egregious decision not to take the ball on kick-off. NEVER give a Heisman candidate QB the chance to strike first and steal momentum out of the box and put you in a hole. D-lo's fumble is a direct result of coming under immediate pressure to perform.
I really like HCBD, but I think he mght be eating too much of his own BS with the whole "we are playing our game, and trying to get better" mantra. BYU was not a scrimmage. It was game to try and win.

The way the game was officiated there was a good chance for a flag on BYU if they passed the ball which would have been better then the end result.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My last point on the BYU debacle.

I didn't really expect to win that game. In fact I don't really expect to win many games this season.

6 wins and a bowl would be a phenomenal achievement and I stand by that.

At the end of the day, a loss is a loss and in theory I'm "ok" with losing as we go forward and hopefully improve and take our lumps this season.

What I saw against BYU was just startling in a lot of ways.

If we leave stony brook with this 2qb system in place I think I may just jump off the ledge (or section 211).

I really hope his decisions were just an aberration.

Reaction Score
I feel like I should make some profound statement in this thread, but then again, I'm reminded of the fact that the OP has previously posted preposterous stuff on the board, like one time when he said if we aren't in another conference by 2017, that he's completely done with UConn football. Yup. He said that. And now he wants everyone on the board to either show some positivity or get a "Masengale wash". Yup... :confused:

And its 2014 - so I have some time.

Reaction Score
The negative comments are WAY OUT OF PLACE!

Come on HCBD is in the infancy of his command, and we faced a top 25 program.

I think the coach and the team will respond well to this game experience, and I know the future is bright.

Those of you throwing out negativeism belong on the Rutgers board. Sorry - but that is true . whaler and others, its the first game of a new ERA.

For instance, I don't mean to get picky on positions, but we have FOUR D1 talented running backs.
For instance i Don;t mean to get picky on position, but our LB corp was not that bad.
For instance I don't mean to get picky on position, but our Offensive Line was NOT the BAD.
For instance, I don't mean to get picky on position, but our Special Teams were AOK.,

So for all the Sally's out there - GO GET A MASENGALE WASH - I expect a drubbing of Stoney Brook and a sounding defeat of Bosie.

I wish I was within a 10 hour drive of the Rent, and could take in a game experience, but I firmly believe success this year.judged by a 6-6 record with maybe a surprise to put us to 7-5.

The only real criticism of this game was the fan support, and I expect that to change after a Stoney Borrk and Boise win. We have seen the Rent rock and we will experience that again.

For instance

Critcism of the two QB systems is legitimate and playing 50+ players on offense and defense, (not counting STs) just smacks of indecisiveness.

Between the spring and summer camps we should have a better idea of a more well defined depth chart.

Reaction Score
And FTR. I am really fond of Bob Diaco and want him to have the time and space to grow. But the kind of mistakes he is making now are easily avoidable.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Critcism of the two QB systems is legitimate and playing 50+ players on offense and defense, (not counting STs) just smacks of indecisiveness.

Between the spring and summer camps we should have a better idea of a more well defined depth chart.
On the former, I personally believe that many on this board are making too much of this. By the time we reach conference play we will no longer be a two QB offense and my personal belief is that the staff already knows that neither of the two is the long term answer.

On the latter I strongly disagree. Down the road the added experience should pay significant dividends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom