Non-Key Tweets | Page 258 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It won't dissolve - it will just be gapped by the two (three?) bigger leagues.

That will be a pain point down the road. If someone can offer $40M and the ACC can offer $20M, it becomes a problem.

I don't think it will happen in this cycle, but 10 years from now when the fog of the cable/internet tv split begins to lift, I could see the ACC casting off NC State to the SEC in order to grab another market, say Cincy. The motivation to do something like this won't be clear until the B1G $ machine starts to roll for several years. Both the ACC and B12 are inefficient with their tv geography with the ACC overly concentrated in NC and the B12 having a narrow footprint.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I could buy into the twitter kook narrative that the ACC is going to dissolve because they won't have a network.

I just don't think that will be so. I know every year won't be like the last in terms of sports success, but I think the league will be OK.

You're also the guy who relies on the GoR. The B1G and the SEC are playing far different games. The ACC unleashed CR musical chairs ... and the simple rules of economics say that $55m is more than $21m. And, the OTHER tangible value: the B1G is also about RISING the ranking and academic stature by cooperative grants and shared resources. That has to be huge for some that have the mission to be amongst the Top Publics in the US. (ie. Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech)

Cartels don't last long. This one has a big hole in the boat.

Reaction Score
I don't think it will happen in this cycle, but 10 years from now when the fog of the cable/internet tv split begins to lift, I could see the ACC casting off NC State to the SEC in order to grab another market, say Cincy. The motivation to do something like this won't be clear until the B1G $ machine starts to roll for several years. Both the ACC and B12 are inefficient with their tv geography with the ACC overly concentrated in NC and the B12 having a narrow footprint.

Something like that is too big a risk at this point with cable starting to splinter. This is a problem for UConn in one sense, as the B1G model loses its appeal for new startups. Even ESPN is looking at standalone now.

If the future is standalone subscriptions for both TV or mobile apps, NC State is 10x more valuable than Cincy.

UConn I think can compete in both worlds, though the TV model is likely stronger.

Reaction Score
It won't dissolve - it will just be gapped by the two (three?) bigger leagues.

That will be a pain point down the road. If someone can offer $40M and the ACC can offer $20M, it becomes a problem.
Fishy MD already proved this once...it will happen again

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Good lord, no.

Why on earth would the ACC ever voluntarily allow the SEC entry into one of their few safe harbors?

And I suspect the "ESPN is melting down!" narrative is wildly overblown right now.

Reaction Score
Billions.

In all seriousness, if Flug's hypothetical conference played out like he outlined, it would be the largest money making conference in the country. By far.

I don't care if we made $50 as long as were in it!!

Reaction Score

I like it; but, I cannot see the B1G adding Iowa State. They don't bring anything to the table that they already don't have in U Iowa. Colorado St may also be a reach in that I am not sure the B1G wants to directly challenge the PAC. Not sure. But, of course, if it takes Iowa St and CSU for UConn to get into the B1G, so be it!

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe to get the B12 to dissolve you need to provide a home to B12 schools. If Iowa State is the price of getting Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, it's OK to pay that price. You get the 3 big prizes, you have to pony up. If they'd already committed to taking UConn, that would explain the +1 -- can't have a 19 school league.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Maybe to get the B12 to dissolve you need to provide a home to B12 schools. If Iowa State is the price of getting Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, it's OK to pay that price. You get the 3 big prizes, you have to pony up. If they'd already committed to taking UConn, that would explain the +1 -- can't have a 19 school league.

This would be the only scenario that I could see ISU in the B1G. B1G Presidents will love the AAU membership and if they are somehow the key to unlocking UT, OU, and KU, then they'd do it. But it's an awfully weird key: ISU. I think UT would feel heat to bring along lil' brother Tech, OU would feel pressure to bring okie lite, and KU would feel pressure to bring along KSU. ISU is hard to fit unless Iowa has some sort of negotiating power inside B1G walls that nobody knows about.

But hey, I don't care if UConn goes to the B1G with Porter & Chester, ITT Tech, and New England Tractor Trailer School...as long as it ends with UConn in the B1G.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is a 216 page thread dedicated to following the random rumblings of cats named Dood of WV, He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, Flugaur, and random blog postings from fans that stretch from Mom's basement to Grandpop's moonshining garage. I think reality left this thread years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ISU is always mentioned because they're an AAU member. Football atmosphere has been better lately and basketball has improved but I agree, I don't see the B1G doubling down in Iowa of all states.
Outside of the fact the B1G already has Iowa pretty much locked down I'd add them cause of fan support like ECU and I like them...unfortunately i don't see it...I like Temple somewhere too... like ACC backfill as there value is there..just not so obvious.

Reaction Score
MH ver3‏@MH ver3 1h1 hour ago
UTs Steve Patterson had a heated debate with Boren yesterday. Told him if OU was so unhappy then leave.

Murr‏@MurrDCU 1h1 hour ago
@MH. ver3 what was Boren's response?

@MurrDCU don't know. I just get scraps.

Also hinted strongly that UT would have a very lucrative life after the b12. Said ESPN will take care of the horns.

ME: So OU to SEC, ISU/KU to B1G and UConn/UT to ACC? :cool:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes I'm sure someone who was Gov of Oklahoma would have a heated debate with the most overmatched AD in college sports.

Got a copy and paste out of it tho.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Steve Patterson Experience is amazing. It's incredible to watch someone so inept in such a public job.

Reaction Score
UTs Steve Patterson had a heated debate with Boren yesterday. Told him if OU was so unhappy then leave.

Also hinted strongly that UT would have a very lucrative life after the b12. Said ESPN will take care of the horns.

ME: So OU to SEC, ISU/KU to B1G and UConn/UT to ACC? :cool:

Not a tweet, but HeinousOne's theory over on Landthieves:

1. ESPN could use some more major tax breaks from The State of Connecticut right now with all the bad press coming out in the media about their finances. The ACC accepting UConn will help grease those wheels. UConn certainly is not high up on the ACC's list but the ACC Network is. The same goes for allowing in Texas with a partial contract and then the likes of Baylor with them fully.

These aren't the most exciting moves for The ACC but getting the ACC Network, at this point, seems like a life or death issue for some ACC schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom