Non-Key Tweets | Page 257 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

pj

Reaction Score
If .45 is the best they can do in ACC territory, then consider that the state of Connecticut could place the ACCN on basic cable and charge $1.35 to each subscriber. In other words, just multiply the 1.3m TV homes by 3 to get a sense of the impact of Connecticut, and for that matter, multiply the population of 3.6m by 3 too in order to compare purchasing power to ACC land.

Yeah. If they want a network, they screwed up royally. Their approach to realignment showed a major lack of strategic planning.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
The ACC wants to market itself as a big boy in college football but as a whole they have fan bases that seriously lack the commitment you will find in the SEC, Big 12, Big 12 and PAC. They are never going to pay for a new product (ACCN) when they can already get most of the content they care about for a nominal charge with their cable subscriptions on ESPN. I think though that it was more ESPN and their planning ahead to screw the ACC long term (along with Uconn) since they already had them by the short and curlies with basketball.

Reaction Score
Thanks. We will be sure not to get our hopes up.

Just wanted to pass on what people should know is all. ESPN use to be in over 100 million homes and will be below the 90 million mark this month. So there is 100% noway that a new conference network would reach 90 million homes. As I noted in a post prior, he went to Google and read the article and made up a bunch of crap to make himself looking like an insider even though he isn't.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well I think the Dood might be right (by pure chance) about no moves for 7-10 years IF OU and UT remain in a detente and the B12 starts getting teams in the CFP. Which might be helped by CCG deregulation. Big if.

If OU is as unhappy as they are making out to be, the next scenario is B12 adding 2 out of UH, UCF, BYU, UC and then standing pat.

Reaction Score
I see where the 90 million figure is coming from...an old ACC press release....someone ran with it without understanding what it means....

Charlotte, N.C. – The ACC Network package of Atlantic Coast Conference football games syndicated by Raycom Sports will be available to nearly 80% of the United States this fall, covering over 90 million TV Households. This includes all Top Ten TV markets in the U.S., and 21 of the Top 25. Only ESPN and ESPN2 reach more households, among all sports networks.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to pass on what people should know is all. ESPN use to be in over 100 million homes and will be below the 90 million mark this month. So there is 100% noway that a new conference network would reach 90 million homes. As I noted in a post prior, he went to Google and read the article and made up a bunch of crap to make himself looking like an insider even though he isn't.

Actually ESPN is still in 95 million homes. That said, there are two different figures that are used, which causes confusion: how many homes they're *available* in and how many actually subscribe. ESPN is available in 99 of the 114 million homes. It's actually accessed by about 94-95 million.

When a release was put out claiming 90 million homes, that was essentially the number available, if the network launched. That said, that's a hugely overstated figure for the first year since it's implying that 90% of carriers will reach an agreement before launch... that wouldn't happen.

I don't think anyone here is taking MH'er seriously anyhow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I see where the 90 million figure is coming from...an old ACC press release....someone ran with it without understanding what it means....

Charlotte, N.C. – The ACC Network package of Atlantic Coast Conference football games syndicated by Raycom Sports will be available to nearly 80% of the United States this fall, covering over 90 million TV Households. This includes all Top Ten TV markets in the U.S., and 21 of the Top 25. Only ESPN and ESPN2 reach more households, among all sports networks.

LOL - that's a hilarious way to spin it.

Also somewhat funny - some of that 20% was parts of CT. I didn't get them except through their website.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Basically, the ACC Network, such as it is, is available to anyone with a Roku, Apple TV or, I guess, a computer.

The revenue it generates is likely somewhere near zero.

I'd also like to take this time to announce that the Boneyard is now available to almost 3.2 billion people worldwide.

Suck it, Swoffie.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If they are talking about the 'ACC network' on ESPN3 that's even funnier. That's just really a fancy term for bookmarks.

Reaction Score
Reading this thread while drunk is much different than reading it while sober.

Not necessarily better or worse. Just different.

(Took me a while to type that without errors)
Everyone following this thread may qualify for medical marijuana since they now suffer PTSD (or have exacerbated symptoms already present).

Reaction Score
If they are talking about the 'ACC network' on ESPN3 that's even funnier. That's just really a fancy term for bookmarks.

I think that streaming is coming on...I stream quite a bit on comcast.

"• WatchESPN and ESPN3 averaged 1.1 billion minutes per month with live and replay events across all platforms in 2014, up 132%. (source: Omniture, Jan-Nov)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

"• WatchESPN and ESPN3 averaged 1.1 billion minutes per month with live and replay events across all platforms in 2014, up 132%. (source: Omniture, Jan-Nov)

Yeah you can get people to stream when it's free. Call me when the ACC gets monetized in that fashion.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I'm sure that's why the ACC has a YouTube network and not, you know, a real one.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I could buy into the twitter kook narrative that the ACC is going to dissolve because they won't have a network.

I just don't think that will be so. I know every year won't be like the last in terms of sports success, but I think the league will be OK.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It won't dissolve - it will just be gapped by the two (three?) bigger leagues.

That will be a pain point down the road. If someone can offer $40M and the ACC can offer $20M, it becomes a problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom