Non-Key Tweets | Page 207 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 52m52 minutes ago
@CCMelillo @flugempire @junglehusky @Flyguy14 @ctkevb @NoEscalators UCONN would be redundant to the B1G. Only ACC is a match.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 48m48 minutes ago
@tjwhite18 @CCMelillo @flugempire @junglehusky @Flyguy14 @ctkevb @NoEscalators Redundant as in RU is already in market.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 39m39 minutes ago
@tjwhite18 UCONN isn't on the B1G's radar. That's just a fact. UCONN however is on the ACC radar.

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 This is a point where Chris and I disagree. UCONN is on B1G radar...just not a right fit in timing and in profile..

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 29m29 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 I know with a high degree of certainty they are not.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 29m29 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 Why because they could not meet the minimum value added equation. Add them would reduce revenues for the B1G.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 29m29 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 ...at this point and time..but getting closer. UCONN DMA has enough local juice and its brand carriers weight in BTN

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 28m28 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 There isn't any way UCONN could generate enough value to merit B1G inclusion.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 27m27 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 Remember the standard is around $40m per year in revenue generation....

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 27m27 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 Look at the DMA map.... UCONN doesn't come close to adding enough value.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 26m26 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 However UCONN could add value to the ACCN. Rather than pin your hopes on unicorns keep an eye on that...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 26m26 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 Adding UCONN would not reduce REV for Big 10 in the long run...it would increase them. AD dollars in CT /good stuff

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 25m25 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 Greg... I disagree... the people I talk to disagree... show me how UCONN generates that value.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 32m32 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 UCONN's football program would drag down B1G SoS. Their home market isn't large enough to offset revenue sharing.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 29m29 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 Gophers have been dragging down B1G SOS for years...B1G survived

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 28m28 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 Go look at @frankthetank111 Column from a few years ago...it described the Revenues created from BTN model...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 27m27 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 It showed a list of schools and an estimate of what value in dollars it would bring in to the Big Ten. UCONN...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 26m26 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 ..UCONN brought in enough to pay for itself...and the model has only grown in Uconns favor.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 32m 32 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 UCONN was estimated at 38 mil a few years ago. I will find this info and forward it on. UCONN has enough juice

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 28m 28 minutes ago
http://frankthetank.me/2010/04/19/the-value-of-expansion-candidates-to-the-big-ten-network/… This estimate has UCONN at 38 mil a few years back. UCONN has enough juice...especially with AD $ building upwards

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 26m 26 minutes ago
@flugempire @theDudeofWV check it out. Uconn does not = RUT or UMD...but it has enough juice.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 25m25 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 That's not true... nowhere near true...

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 24m24 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 Greg... if UCONN generated so much value they would not be in the AAC.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 23m23 minutes ago
@flugempire @tjwhite18 If UCONN were that valuable why were Pitt, Cuse, WVU, RU and UL taken and UCONN not?

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 24m 24 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV This argument about IF someone was this valuable they would already be in a P5 makes no sense. This was the argument used..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 24m 24 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV ...against Rutgers. The business model of the Big Ten made Rutgers valuable to them. And to s lesser degree, but still...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 23m 23 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV ...viable it had made UCONN a piece in which is under the radar of Big Ten. Plenty of hurdles remain..DMA is not one of them

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 UCONN FB does not help much during Teir 1/2 negotations...timing is wrong for UCONN. But under BTN model UCONN..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 38m 38 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 ...brings in value above sea levels. Other schools have higher value..however other schools had higher value than..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 37m 37 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @tjwhite18 ...UMD/RUT...but it's aldo about who is interested and who is able...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 8m 8 minutes ago
I think what most people lose sight of is what's Delanys future plan for the BTN. Expansion runs through it. Content-Diversity of content..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 8m 8 minutes ago
..different regions-leverage for prime coverage on ESPN ect-year round live content programming-....to consumers who will buy it.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 7m 7 minutes ago
...eventually leading to more or complete ownership of the network in 2031-32. If you look at it through this prisim..windows open up.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 4m4 minutes ago
@flugempire I've went back and looked at some of the metrics I know about for UCONN. UCONN's value is primarily basketball.

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV Check the attendence figures for B1G basketball...>>>>>> vs SEC/Big 12/ACC. Check BTN articles on ratings breaking old records

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV Bssketball value <<<< no doubt vs FB. But in B1G BTN model the spikes (mountain-valley) between FB & BB not as pronounced.

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV Does UCONN help fuel more Midwestern loving basketball watchers/consumers to get their eyeballs on BTN. Answer is yes

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 6m6 minutes ago
@flugempire If the average B!G payout is $40-$50 million... how does a school worth $38 merit inclusion? It doesn't.

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV Good question. I don't think UCONN is on radar under new TV negotations...but Delany will get open envelope under new contract

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV Delany will get the $ from networks ( open envelope) for expansion within the years of contract. Teir 1/2 contract will start..

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV ..in 2017... Estimate 25-27 mil first year..add another 8-10 BTN money. TV money will be 33-37 first year..throw in bowl $ ect

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2m 2 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV ..this is how Big Ten gets 45-50 mil in first year of contract. Delany will get this open envelope..or st least this is the

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 55s 55 seconds ago
@theDudeofWV ..the perception of Big Ten folks. UCONN in 2017 may not work..but if open envelope exist to give Delany options..UCONN onradar

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 52s52 seconds ago
@flugempire The people I talk to say only the Virginia & NC markets add enough value for the B1G to expand again.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 25s25 seconds ago
@flugempire Don't forget the more members a conf has the greater the value an incoming member must bring.

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV I'm not leading anyone on...Most UCONN people hate me. I'm just telling people that the Big ZTen business model is going..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire
· now 9 seconds ago
@theDudeofWV Of course Virginia and NC/GT are prime targets. But Delany didn't get prime targets last time either. UCONN is on radar.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 3m3 minutes ago
@flugempire You can add a school worth less $ than the average payout. Nobody is going to vote for that...

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV Never declared UCONN in B10. But UCONN is on radar..just like RUT went on radar years and years ago. We agree to disagree

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 3m3 minutes ago
@flugempire And you & I disagree strongly on the notion that non-revenue sports will ever be valuable.

@flugempire 18s18 seconds ago
@theDudeofWV Because WVU does not owned part of a growing network that is getting more and more of its slice from AD buys vs Carriage

Greg Flugaur @flugempire
· now 8 seconds ago
@theDudeofWV What I just described is the new world. Even SECN is branching out in live content...not for charity...but for economic growth

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
How is this different from most sports outside the big 3? How is hockey different from Lacrosse? Swimming? Gymnastics?

There's some truth to what you say about hockey, I mean there's a reason it's big with the Ivy's and New England prep schools... but down here, outside of Philly, there's a lot of working class people that devote a huge portion of their income so their kids can play hockey.

Reaction Score
I don't see how it's so hard to understand that a college sports network might see value in being able to broadcast college sports during a larger portion of the year.

Reaction Score
There's some truth to what you say about hockey, I mean there's a reason it's big with the Ivy's and New England prep schools... but down here, outside of Philly, there's a lot of working class people that devote a huge portion of their income so their kids can play hockey.

It's the same up here. Working class.

But lacrosse is the same up here as well.

I don't see much of a difference in these sports.

Reaction Score
I just love that Porter got included in a whole mess of that stuff last night. I know you're reading this @NoEscalators.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

Yeah, hockey's an interesting mix... both my kids play... and you get a real wide range of people.

I think if you're on the outside looking in you could see it both sports as elitist, because of the cost, and because of the Northeast prep schools..

Lacrosse is a newer add here in PA... but a lot of kids that play hockey with my kids also play lacrosse. Our local youth organization went from just a few teams with older kids to where now it probably rivals baseball in just a few years. My wife's family in Canada comes from a real working class area and there EVERYONE plays both hockey and lacrosse. It's much more established.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Both Hockey and LAX are prevalent at the private prep schools. But as LAX is added to the program at more public schools, it's being picked up by a much wide group for sure. It's still suburban, not urban, from what I can see here in MA. Same as hockey.

Reaction Score
Hockey and Lacrosse to an extent, seem to be sports,that lower middle class kids are playing in increased numbers. The upwardly mobile aspect of these sports probably does factor into the the sacrifices parents make to play.
Size and Speed and the degree of competition have limited the potential for sports like football or basketball for most kids.
In hockey ,skill ,skating ability,and the limited numbers , can somewhat off-set those factors.
I worked with a circle of hockey enthusisists who claimed that playing hockey in college could be a real tool in success after graduation.
You become part of the fraternity. I don't know if that is true or not but belief is really the only requirement. Why else would a parent get their kid up at 4:00 AM to get available ice time.

Reaction Score
UConn has always been on the B1G radar and it's always been about Notre Dame. It wasn't over with the ND/ACC deal and it won't be over until ND gets all in or all out.

Rutgers and Maryland were market venues to lure Notre Dame. Maryland/Navy puts ND in DC every year; Rutgers/UConn would put them in NYC every year.

Almost (but not quite--that's a long story) every school looked at by the B1G has been evaluated on the "will it help us get Notre Dame" criteria.

Now ND has been told they can get in or get out but get the heck out of the way, and Swarbrick is jacking the press to gauge reaction. It doesn't matter any more if ND goes all in with B1G or ACC--it could be any P5 but their days of "we're special" are over. Swarbrick's is blustering about building a new Nerdball division in college footall and it's mostly a (yawn) "Yeah, whatever Jack" situation.

Irregardless the future will be fine with or without them--because television has changed everything in surprising ways. Two years ago, it was thought (notice passive sentence construction) that ND/UConn would be tied at the hip. Now, not so much. Turns out in the brave new world of college athletics, UConn's rising and ND's slipping. Much to NBC's chagrin.

The only question for UConn is: sooner or later?

Reaction Score
Why else would a parent get their kid up at 4:00 AM to get available ice time.

Because the parent needs something to do.

This winter season of soccer emphasized that point to me. Because fewer kids play soccer in winter months, my child's travel club team went up against some of the premier teams in the area in the same league (they don't compete against each other spring/summer). The premier teams have professional coaches, top notch facilities, several practices a week. It's a big ticket $$ for those teams. My kid went to one of their camps last summer and was told by 10 year olds in absolute terms that they intend to become professionals. Then when you go to see the games, the parents' involvement in the whole charade becomes pretty evident.

Then again, a friend who was not rah-rah about soccer nor high-stakes sports went along grudgingly with his son joining a premier team. His son was actually a top ranked kid from the area (by USA soccer) but he experienced burnout at age 14 and took the year off. I asked my friend how he felt about it: "Devastated." After putting all that time, effort and $$$ in, 4 days a week, year round, tens of thousands, and your kid takes a year off. And you weren't the one pushing it in the first place.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Because the parent needs something to do.

I asked my friend how he felt about it: "Devastated." After putting all that time, effort and $$$ in, 4 days a week, year round, tens of thousands, and your kid takes a year off. And you weren't the one pushing it in the first place.

Absolutely. I'm basically you're friend. My wife is Canadian... I was like, sure go ahead, sign them up for hockey... I don't care... now after investing so much time into it... I'd be devastated if my kids decided to stop playing. Not because I have any great expectations that he (or she) is going to play college hockey, the odds are astronomically thin... because yes less kids play... but there really aren't that many scholarships available... certainly far less than 100 programs offer scholarships... and even less on the girls side.. but I'd have a giant void and have to get a new hobby, although the sleeping in on Saturday's and Sunday's would be nice... not to mention I love spending all the time with them... luckily he seems to like it more and more every year.

Talk about a run on.

Reaction Score
UConn has always been on the B1G radar and it's always been about Notre Dame. It wasn't over with the ND/ACC deal and it won't be over until ND gets all in or all out.

Rutgers and Maryland were market venues to lure Notre Dame. Maryland/Navy puts ND in DC every year; Rutgers/UConn would put them in NYC every year.

Almost (but not quite--that's a long story) every school looked at by the B1G has been evaluated on the "will it help us get Notre Dame" criteria.

Now ND has been told they can get in or get out but get the heck out of the way, and Swarbrick is jacking the press to gauge reaction. It doesn't matter any more if ND goes all in with B1G or ACC--it could be any P5 but their days of "we're special" are over. Swarbrick's is blustering about building a new Nerdball division in college footall and it's mostly a (yawn) "Yeah, whatever Jack" situation.

Irregardless the future will be fine with or without them--because television has changed everything in surprising ways. Two years ago, it was thought (notice passive sentence construction) that ND/UConn would be tied at the hip. Now, not so much. Turns out in the brave new world of college athletics, UConn's rising and ND's slipping. Much to NBC's chagrin.

Who has EVER thought UConn and ND are tied to together in anyway? I have never heard of that before(even in a passive way)in any way shape or form except now. ND will never join the Big 10. EVER, Uconn hopefully will and then peace will rein supreme throughout the land. UConn deserves to be in a P-5 conference and that is a total separate deal in regards to ND.

If and that is a BIG if we join a conference we have let it be known where it will be.

I'm hope ND is slipping on the Big 10 radar.
I actually like and respect the Big 10 because they actually care about Academics(Most). I am not one of those ND fans that bash the Big 10. But we(Big and ND) are not mean t to be together.

NBC is ecstatic with our deal, so much so they signed ND hockey to its own deal on NBCsports.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Then again, a friend who was not rah-rah about soccer nor high-stakes sports went along grudgingly with his son joining a premier team. His son was actually a top ranked kid from the area (by USA soccer) but he experienced burnout at age 14 and took the year off. I asked my friend how he felt about it: "Devastated." After putting all that time, effort and $$$ in, 4 days a week, year round, tens of thousands, and your kid takes a year off. And you weren't the one pushing it in the first place.

I experienced that same burnout when I was 13 in baseball. It was too much, too many teams, practices, camps, etc as a teenager with school and a newly found social life. My Dad who was a great pitcher in his day, even invited to Cardinals camp in the 60's , wasn't really thrilled, but was okay with it. I played a little in high school but was never good enough to go beyond that. Taking time off really hurt my development, all my friends passed me in talent. Funny thing is, at 37, I still play in a wood bat league in Charlotte and love it. I Love playing baseball more now that when I was younger, it's no longer a choir like it was when I was a kid. If my dad had forced me to keep playing, I would end up hating him and the game. I think a lot of parents force activities on their kids so they can live through them.

Reaction Score

You had me until the penultimate line. I'm as biased as anyone, but I'll believe that Jim Calhoun signed the Declaration of Independence before I'll believe that Notre Dame's stock is slipping and UConn's is rising in the world of Conference Realignment.

Reaction Score
Jostar- thanks for posting all of these as I'm not a Twitter guy!

Dude is an absolute moron, period! How can he justify his position that Uconn at a $38mil value doesn't bring enough $$ to warrant a 40-50 mil B1G payout?? 38 mil in the AAC dumpster fire is pretty dam good as I see it. It would be PRETTY easy to break that $40mil+ barrier with a B1G schedule, in fact I believe Delaney is on the record with a comment similar.

Reaction Score
I agree 1000%. I don't want to be in either conference, but speaking for a year or two for basketball I'd rather be in the BE. I know it'll never happen, but I'd rather just play local teams that we are familiar with and have histories with for a year or two if we are expecting an invite and leave the football in the AAC. I know it's not going to happen, but if the B1G said "you have a guarantee for 2018. Do what you must until then." I'd prefer for the next year or two to put basketball back there and keep football in the AAC. I know it's just fantasy though.
Our Basketball travel schedule this year was crazy.
There were NBA teams with easier schedules.
1/13 at Tulsa
1/17 at Stamford
1/22 home
1/25 home
1/29 at Cinncy
2/01 at Houston
2/4 home
2/7 at Tulane
2/12 home
2/14 at SMU
2/19 at Memphis
The Houston,home New Orleans ,home,back to Dallaa was a ridicules stretch.
That's the best agrument for a regional conference.
The ACC ,and the B1G are actually more regional than the AAC

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I experienced that same burnout when I was 13 in baseball. It was too much, too many teams, practices, camps, etc as a teenager with school and a newly found social life. My Dad who was a great pitcher in his day, even invited to Cardinals camp in the 60's , wasn't really thrilled, but was okay with it. I played a little in high school but was never good enough to go beyond that. Taking time off really hurt my development, all my friends passed me in talent. Funny thing is, at 37, I still play in a wood bat league in Charlotte and love it. I Love playing baseball more now that when I was younger, it's no longer a choir like it was when I was a kid. If my dad had forced me to keep playing, I would end up hating him and the game. I think a lot of parents force activities on their kids so they can live through them.

Last summer, after completing the travel softball season, my daughter (she was 14) and I were talking about her hitting. I told her I couldn't help her anymore and she could not self diagnose her mechanics. I told her if she wanted to progress she had to get back to 1 on 1 instruction. We'd rotate 5 week sessions every two months, blah, blah blah.

She looked at me and said, "Dad, you and I both know what I want to study in college and I want to do ROTC. I'm not going to have any time to play ball in college. Why go through all that. I just want to play and have fun."

I have a wise daughter.

I never discussed a hitting instructor again and the two of us work on her swing when it suits us.

And she has fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom