Non-Key Tweets | Page 206 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Well there it is. It's as clear as day.... our B1G dream is right around the corner. And all these years we thought it was football driving the bus... turns out it has been lacrosse all along. Not the overflowing stacks of national championships our other sports have earned, our access to NYC and Boston DMA's, or having a much faster rise of success than anyone should have expected in football (only to go into a PP tail spin)...but Lacrosse. We should have added it years ago. Fire Warde.

Reaction Score
Hockey and Lax are pieces in the puzzle. They just enhance our Championship level athletics and academic status. As for horrible football demo just start winning and see how quickly that fairy tale evaporates. Conference affiliation changes that perception immediately. So we deliver a lot of certain attributes and a little of the rest. It's an entire package that's being built.

Reaction Score
Well there it is. It's as clear as day.... our B1G dream is right around the corner. And all these years we thought it was football driving the bus... turns out it has been lacrosse all along. Not the overflowing stacks of national championships our other sports have earned, our access to NYC and Boston DMA's, or having a much faster rise of success than anyone should have expected in football (only to go into a PP tail spin)...but Lacrosse. We should have added it years ago. Fire Warde.

We should add Squash NOW. Get Trinity to join us as a package deal. Start up a bidding war between the BTN and Bloomberg TV. Keep an eye on this space.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"Today, the Big Ten Presidents announced collectively that they are each adding Polo to the sponsored division 1 sports....."

That's the headline that will make Twitter sandcastles.

Reaction Score

There's a certain silliness to it, but lacrosse is a prestige sport played by rich white people. There's a reason the B1G has been keen to add it.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1h 1 hour ago
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/fox-sports-1-beginning-to-appreciate-the-importance-of-live-sports.html… FS1 finally learns the lesson.."Live events rule all"

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/fox-sports-1-beginning-to-appreciate-the-importance-of-live-sports.html… "live events drive the viewership"

This is why BTN/PACN/SECN are looking to accumulate live sport events for their networks. Yes, Football drives the bus...but you need tires.

I know I get mocked when I bring up the importance of ASU HCKY for PACN..and the potential growth of HCKY for PACN. Same with LAX/HCKY..

..and other non-rev sports for the major conferences. I get it...mock away. But without added live content these conference networks...

...will become....well...like LHN. You don't want to become like LHN. Can't make money showing same Coaches show on and on and on and on...

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 1h1 hour ago
@flugempire I'm just kidding you.

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV No worries...my message was not referring to you. Had a Syracuse guy jamming me because he says UConn brings no added value...

@theDudeofWV ...to a conference network. And he said PAC network will get no one watching HCKY. I'm getting jammed pretty good. Angry people

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 59m59 minutes ago
@flugempire Debatable if Syracuse has much value as UCONN going forward.

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV I know I'm in the minority when to comes to lots of these subjects..but you know Chris some of my contacts...they know..

@theDudeofWV ..they know there is a hunger for conf owned network (or partial owned) for more content. This will drive expansion in future

@theDudeofWV the addition of Johns Hopkins for Lacrosse is not the last expansion...the success of Lacrosse on BTN just spurns more expansio

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 1h1 hour ago
@flugempire Have I said otherwise? I vouch for you.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 56m56 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV I know. I'm just coming from it at an angle most people don't talk about...unless they are working in AD offices..wink wink

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 56m56 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV If the Big 12 gets a conf network in the future and the schools own half..,the search for content will go forth.

Conference Networks looking for more live sporting content..looking for more brands to deliver thier product to interested consumers.

FS1 finally learned what BTN Silverman found out 5 years ago..,,you need live content year round. No substitution.

Reaction Score
There's a certain silliness to it, but lacrosse is a prestige sport played by rich white people. There's a reason the B1G has been keen to add it.

Coverage on BTN with a 49% share of the advertising dollars. Live content rules.

Reaction Score
Finally the smoke we have been waiting for. Unfortunately, it is coming from a West Virginia pig roast.

Anything that makes Syracuse fans panic is a good thing in my book. Maybe this story has some merit o it. After all, if UConn can be competitive in D1 lax combined with a potential entry into the B1G, the Orange have zip.

"Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire
@theDudeofWV No worries...my message was not referring to you. Had a Syracuse guy jamming me because he says UConn brings no added value..."​

Reaction Score
I agree, however I'd rather play 'Nova, Georgetown, Xavier, Butler, St. John's and PC over Cincy, Temple, Memphis, and SMU. It's just a personal preference. Outside of Cincy I'm not that interested in seeing Temple, SMU, etc come into town. I am interested in seeing those BE teams though.
I would like to see UConn consistently beat the Temples and SMU's of the world before I start talking about not being interested in them. The AAC schools, as upsetting as it may be, have promise. The one's that you mentioned could be members of a P5 conference. None of the BE schools can match that.

Reaction Score
buddy said:
I would like to see UConn consistently beat the Temples and SMU's of the world before I start talking about not being interested in them. The AAC schools, as upsetting as it may be, have promise. The one's that you mentioned could be members of a P5 conference. None of the BE schools can match that.

Well obv., none of them have a football program. You honestly would rather see Temple and SMU in Gampel over 'Nova and G'Town? I wouldn't.

Reaction Score
Well obv., none of them have a football program. You honestly would rather see Temple and SMU in Gampel over 'Nova and G'Town? I wouldn't.
I don't want to see any of them, AAC or BE at Gampel. I want to see Michigan,Maryland, even Rutgers at Gampel. I looking at the whole gestalt of the AAC. I haven't seen UConn running the AAC schools out of the gym yet. You'll get to see UConn play 'Nova at the Rent this year if that floats your boat. 'Nova and G'Town are not the same as the old BE "Nova and G'Town.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Honestly, these should two should just get a room. Their posts are getting a little creepy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Honestly, these should two should just get a room. Their posts are getting a little creepy.

That Twitter exchange was utter gibberish. That is two double digit IQ, attention whores trying to put themselves on all sides of an issue.

Reaction Score
buddy said:
I don't want to see any of them, AAC or BE at Gampel. I want to see Michigan,Maryland, even Rutgers at Gampel. I looking at the whole gestalt of the AAC. I haven't seen UConn running the AAC schools out of the gym yet. You'll get to see UConn play 'Nova at the Rent this year if that floats your boat. 'Nova and G'Town are not the same as the old BE "Nova and G'Town.

I agree 1000%. I don't want to be in either conference, but speaking for a year or two for basketball I'd rather be in the BE. I know it'll never happen, but I'd rather just play local teams that we are familiar with and have histories with for a year or two if we are expecting an invite and leave the football in the AAC. I know it's not going to happen, but if the B1G said "you have a guarantee for 2018. Do what you must until then." I'd prefer for the next year or two to put basketball back there and keep football in the AAC. I know it's just fantasy though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Those two, or at least Flugaur, is finally understanding why the B1G might have interest in UConn. LAX is a tiny piece of the puzzle, add hockey (and a hockey market) and strong soccer (and soccer market) and the only women's basketball team on earth that turns on TV sets. Not only does it do it for UConn games, but the rest of the league will improve and show interest in the sport simply because UConn is there. Even baseball is solid. None of that means anything to the ACC or the Big XII, as neither have a network that requires valuable live sports content. For them it's 75% football, 25% men's basketball. The B1G situation is very different, and what they value is very different because of the BTN. The BTN makes quality olympic sports valuable, and UConn is very strong on that measure.

Reaction Score

How is this different from most sports outside the big 3? How is hockey different from Lacrosse? Swimming? Gymnastics?

Reaction Score
How is this different from most sports outside the big 3? How is hockey different from Lacrosse? Swimming? Gymnastics?

Excluding hockey form your list as its popularity in certain regions is already well established, Lacrosse is a very becoming a very popular sport in key TV markets in the Mid-Atlantic from the North Carolina up to Boston encompassing the DC, Philly, NYC, and Boston metro areas, especially among the upper end income brackets, i.e. the folks that advertisers drool over. Plus, drawing 30K plus for the NCAA Lax championship over the last few years helps.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Those two, or at least Flugaur, is finally understanding why the B1G might have interest in UConn. LAX is a tiny piece of the puzzle, add hockey (and a hockey market) and strong soccer (and soccer market) and the only women's basketball team on earth that turns on TV sets. Not only does it do it for UConn games, but the rest of the league will improve and show interest in the sport simply because UConn is there. Even baseball is solid. None of that means anything to the ACC or the Big XII, as neither have a network that requires valuable live sports content. For them it's 75% football, 25% men's basketball. The B1G situation is very different, and what they value is very different because of the BTN. The BTN makes quality olympic sports valuable, and UConn is very strong on that measure.
Football may be weak at the moment, but as a portfolio / Athletic Department, we are overall strong... And we should keep pushing to improve on all fronts. If given the chance I would watch pretty much any live event featuring UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom