Non-Key Tweets | Page 181 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
On a correlated topic, I'll weigh in here on why I think 10 game conference schedules probably are going to be irresistible to the B1G (even though the coaches almost all hate the idea).

First, pay-for-play opponents are getting more expensive--but that's the minor issue.

The bigger issue is this: Live eyeballs=revenue. B1G Network makes the majority of their money from advertising sales. Better match-ups=more money for everybody in the conference. A game with Bendover State may be worth x, but a conference match up--even a bad conference match-up--is worth 2x. The ad dollars from a conference home and home stay 100% in conference, but that's not true with non-conference opponents--50% of ad revenue is gone. I don't know the numbers, but my instincts say go to ten games. Ultimately, it's a math problem Delany will let the geeks quantify.

Of course, I think it would make the fans happier--I know it would me--but that's probably not part of the calculation.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Seriously, he probably doesn't know/remember UCONN isn't in the P5. I'm amazed by the number of people I meet in Florida that just haven't realized it yet.
The sad thing is he knows. Haters gonna hate.

@DanWolken: @TravHaneyESPN @38Godfrey UConn fans will not be happy with you, Mr. Haney. Also could make an argument for Fresno State

@TravHaneyESPN: @DanWolken I'm pretty comfortable not including those 2 based on criteria in earlier tweet.

@The_Sad_Gnome: .@TravHaneyESPN You must not be looking at the right metrics. UConn has the budget, facilities, desire and has actually won in football.

@The_Sad_Gnome: .@TravHaneyESPN @DanWolken additionally UConn has @NoEscalators

Reaction Score
Also, does the SEC really have to worry about footprint? The premier football conference could add one of the premier programs, FSU, and they both improve their lots. Go after GA Tech or Clemson and essentially castrate the ACC.

Reaction Score
I'd put more stock into what Scott Haney had to say about college football than this ESPiN clown.

Mr Haney = Mr Delaney....just sayin'

Mr+Haney.gif

Reaction Score
Also, does the SEC really have to worry about footprint? The premier football conference could add one of the premier programs, FSU, and they both improve their lots. Go after GA Tech or Clemson and essentially castrate the ACC.

Clemson would make a good SEC team...although South Carolina would adamantly oppose their addition.

Because of networks, teams that would ordinarily make sense for conference addition no longer do. The SECN already has South Carolina and the SEC would prefer new territory (North Carolina, Virginia). Ditto for taking GT.

Ditto for FSU.

The old model has great rivalries...Alabama-Auburn, Ole Miss-Mississippi State....but the current model has interconference rivalries..FSU-Florida, Clemson-South Carolina, GT-Georgia, Louisville-Kentucky.

The only way I see one of these teams being added by the SEC is pressure from the media partner to provide more match ups to pull ratings...enough pressure to overcome the network's need for new footprint.

Reaction Score
Clemson would make a good SEC team...although South Carolina would adamantly oppose their addition.

Because of networks, teams that would ordinarily make sense for conference addition no longer do. The SECN already has South Carolina and the SEC would prefer new territory (North Carolina, Virginia). Ditto for taking GT.

Ditto for FSU.

The old model has great rivalries...Alabama-Auburn, Ole Miss-Mississippi State....but the current model has interconference rivalries..FSU-Florida, Clemson-South Carolina, GT-Georgia, Louisville-Kentucky.

The only way I see one of these teams being added by the SEC is pressure from the media partner to provide more match ups to pull ratings...enough pressure to overcome the network's need for new footprint.

If pushed and there was an opportunity, I can see the SEC doubling-up on Texas (not UT if the 'Horns want special treatment, maybe Baylor or SMU as they would not directly threaten A&M) should the XII fold or Florida (FSA or Miami) should the ACC fold because of the size of the markets in those two states. I cannot see the SEC doubling up on S Carolina or Georgia unless there was an extreme amount of political pressure to 'save' G Tech and Clemson respectively. The SEC would rather expand into NC and VA to access new markets.

Reaction Score
VT is in an interesting geographical spot. In the "high south"...so still could fit SEC and also not too far from the eastern Big Ten.

I don't think that they will leave the ACC in the near term...but they are in an advantaged geographical position.

Reaction Score
Given talk about BYU, what if BYU and say Houston or Northern Illinois joined the Mountain West. That conference was 6th in RPI and would improve. Just checking the landscape to see how there could be a 6th power conference. It seems BYU will need to join a conference.

Reaction Score
Soooo. I wanted to see snow. Well, here in my WNC cabin, we have been snowed in. Can not get down off of the ridge and into the valley where there is a plowed road.

I wish that I had big knobbies on my jeep rather than street tires...but even that might not have made it.

Beautiful stuff, snow. A farmer friend from the valley just drove his tractor up to about 1/4 mile of us and trudged up the steep part to see if we needed anything. He calls his glass enclosed cab tractor his redneck popemobile. Great guy.

I know that I am a newby, being a Florida guy, but watching the snow come down, with the fireplace going and a cup of coffee in hand, is really nice.

Reaction Score
I will be giving you guys a break...got to save my hot spot battery and lap top battery...we have no power...see ya later.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I know that I am a newby, being a Florida guy, but watching the snow come down, with the fireplace going and a cup of coffee in hand, is really nice.
There is a novelty charm for the first couple of inches. I feel that way every year. That quickly disappears and at this point in 2015 I feel nauseous when I see white.

Reaction Score
Soooo. I wanted to see snow. Well, here in my WNC cabin, we have been snowed in. Can not get down off of the ridge and into the valley where there is a plowed road.

I wish that I had big knobbies on my jeep rather than street tires...but even that might not have made it.

Beautiful stuff, snow. A farmer friend from the valley just drove his tractor up to about 1/4 mile of us and trudged up the steep part to see if we needed anything. He calls his glass enclosed cab tractor his redneck popemobile. Great guy.

Now just add some Jameson to that coffee and I'd probably mistake you for a life long New England Yankee! :p

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
@TravHaneyESPN
If they were all open, to me first 10 Group of 5 jobs would be: Cincinnati, UCF, Boise, BYU, USF, Houston, SMU, Colo St, Memphis, ECU.

@TravHaneyESPN
Biggest pieces of evaluating Group of 5 jobs: odds of moving to P5 league; HC salary figure/history; can you win there?
vhsg1ly9cv9lzxd.jpg

Reaction Score
VT is in an interesting geographical spot. In the "high south"...so still could fit SEC and also not too far from the eastern Big Ten.

I don't think that they will leave the ACC in the near term...but they are in an advantaged geographical position.

Just ask Rutgers...

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 56m56 minutes ago
Ive been asked....so I will answer. Yes, I have heard the rumors of the next SEC expansion targets in 2019/20 being Texas & Kansas.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 55m55 minutes ago
I do not believe Texas has any real interest in ever joining the SEC. However these rumors are from the perspective of the SEC and their...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 54m54 minutes ago
....next expansion targets. I have heard these rumors before and Im not sure why I was sent this question tonight....but yes, this rumor..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 52m52 minutes ago
....is based upon SEC wanting to enlarge their market for SECN but also keep adding AAU to their collective roster. Texas has a different...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 50m50 minutes ago
...market for the SECN then Texas A&M. You also have LHN being owned by Disney/ESPN....Kansas 3rd tier deal with ESPN. There is a thought...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 47m47 minutes ago
....that ESPN could hammer out an agreement with Texas on their LHN. SECN will be sending out bigger checks than LHN in 2020.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 45m45 minutes ago
Why Kansas and not Oklahoma? According to this rumor its because Kansas is a ESPN product( more than OU) KU is AAU...much like Texas A&M/MIZ

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 43m43 minutes ago
And there is also the thought that Kansas politically can free itself from Kansas St much easier than OU from Okst. This rumor has been...

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
....around for a few years. Its pretty much based on the idea ESPN and SEC wanting to gain a bigger market with ESPN already Established 3rd

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
...tier schools. Would Texas ever move to the SEC? I dont think so. It would be nice to see Kansas/Mizzou play again in conference :)

Expansion Crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 1h1 hour ago
@flugempire I thought that the SEC already reached our to Texas and Texas said thanks, but no thanks.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@Expansion_Crush I dont ever think Texax has ever been close to being interested in joining SEC. But this is about SEC targeting in 2019/20

Seanbo Sengo ‏@SeanboSengo 33m33 minutes ago
@flugempire @Expansion_Crush BTN & the SEC networks are game changers that the other conferences will not be able to compete with.

Seanbo Sengo ‏@SeanboSengo 30m30 minutes ago
@flugempire @Expansion_Crush very soon it will be the B1G/SEC, the little 3 and the even smaller group of 5

AJ Tech ‏@tech_aj 58m58 minutes ago
@flugempire add two teams out west to essentially recreate the B12/SWC allows Bama and Auburn to slide to East, solving the UT/Bama issue.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@tech_aj Yes. Mizzou goes West with Kansas/Texas/Texas A&M. Ala/Au go east

Seanbo Sengo ‏@SeanboSengo 48m48 minutes ago
@flugempire What would Kansas like more, SEC or B1G? I would think B1G.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@SeanboSengo What is interesting about this scenario...KU will only be brought into SEC/B1G with anothet school that can provide huge

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@SeanboSengo. ..eyeballs for the conference network. This maybe Kansas best scenario to leave Big 12 if economics pushes them out the door

Seanbo Sengo ‏@SeanboSengo 28m28 minutes ago
@flugempire I know KU is AAU but I think Oklahoma's population is about a million more than Kansas and once again

Seanbo Sengo ‏@SeanboSengo 27m27 minutes ago
@flugempire if the SEC can break the B12 GOR, why not the ACC's. NC is AAU & has about 10 million in pop. UVa is AAU and has about 8 million

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 4m4 minutes ago
@SeanboSengo Sure...and OU FB is more valuable than KU BB. What is a bit interesting is how ESPN went aggressively to latch UT an KU to ESPN

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 2m2 minutes ago
@SeanboSengo ESPN stopped any possible Texas movement to PAC/B1G years ago with LHN deal...and moved quickly on KU. So from that standpoint

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 1m1 minute ago
@SeanboSengo This rumor works in the ESPN perspective of first latching these 2 universities...and the later moving them to SECN.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 4s4 seconds ago
@SeanboSengo Just don't see Texas in the SEC...but I don't see Texas in Big Ten or in a horse n buggy Big 12 in 2020.

ME: Where, oh where, would Texas go? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 45m45 minutes ago
@tech_aj Yes. Mizzou goes West with Kansas/Texas/Texas A&M. Ala/Au go east

AJ Tech ‏@tech_aj 8m8 minutes ago
@flugempire exactly. Opens up scheduling with UT and Bama playing yearly as division mates rather than having it be a protected crossover.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@tech_aj Yeah. I'm not sure why this rumor was brought to my attention tonight...I heard it from 2 guys( not my contacts) wonder why tonight

Seanbo Sengo ‏@SeanboSengo 35m35 minutes ago
@flugempire if the SEC can break the B12 GOR, why not the ACC's. NC is AAU & has about 10 million in pop. UVa is AAU and has about 8 million

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@SeanboSengo All good questions...but ACC is ESPN. Will soon have Disney as their sugar daddy. I think this rumor is about ESPN wanting..

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@SeanboSengo ...to procure value outside of their established net.

Seanbo Sengo ‏@SeanboSengo 1m1 minute ago
@flugempire that's another thing I don't get, why both a SEC & ACC network. doesn't it make sense to just pay for the schools you want?

Seanbo Sengo ‏@SeanboSengo 4m4 minutes ago
@flugempire I do see the B1G/SEC, WAY ahead of the other 3 P5 conferences. That's how I see Texas in one of the 2 (regionally & rivalry SEC)

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@SeanboSengo The biggest market out there that does not have a conference network attached to it is of course UT. LHN did in 2020 vs SECN

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@SeanboSengo "dud" vs SECN is 2020

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The rise of Flug years after expansion died on the table is bizarre.

Reaction Score
It's much easier to pull the northern schools into the southern league. That's following the country's population migration rather than going against the grain.

Problem solved: UConn to the SEC. No compatibility issues there...how do you like your grits?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom