Non-Key Tweets | Page 179 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Agree that not inviting Penn State was the biggest mistake that the original Big East made. The second was when they had leverage was allowing Notre Dame in as a partial member. A conference has to be crazy to invite in a member who has no interest and no incentive to help the conference, only itself. Who else but the old Big East would be that crazy...
The five guaranteed ND games per year and the access to the Gator and Capital One Bowl Games that the ND arrangement brings to the ACC helps the conference. Would adding the additional 3 games to get to full membership at 8 be better? Sure. We may or may not get there at some point. It's going to be hard for ND to make the football playoffs without a Conference Championship game win. Perhaps independence is more important than championship access. Time will tell. The rest of ND sports programs help too because it's a quality overall athletics department. I don't want to see the ACC sit in this arrangement for forever, but for now it's fine.

The issue with the Big East was not that Notre Dame was a partial member. They had the same membership as Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, Marquette, and DePaul. They were just another one of the Catholic basketball schools in reality. For football, ND is why the Big East had access to the Gator Bowl for a while. So that helped some.

I don't think that the ACC will sit at 15 indefinitely. Hopefully the launch of a network will create some possibilities. It's being worked on. When they announce it is anyone's guess.

Reaction Score
I still think that the Big 12 will eventually move east. Cincinatti and UConn or some other combo...

Forget the talk about Houston, Tulane....maybe a west-east split with BYU and UConn...but a straight eastern pod of WVU and two other teams makes more sense, I think.

Reaction Score
ndfan101 ‏@stoplot 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire In all this Big 10, Big 12 talk do you still see ND going full to the ACC? 'm watching tea leaves and notice no change..

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
@stoplot Been told not possible until 2017....Also been told ND and NBC have nothing to do with new ACCN. So it looks like my info was wrong

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
@stoplot ND and NBC having nothing to do with the ACCN, if true, goes against what I said earlier according to sources.Possible swing n miss

ndfan101 ‏@stoplot 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire I assume so... ND is a strange bird and pretty predictable when it comes to independence... Thanks :)

ME: How about UConn and Baylor with a similar ND-type deal offered to Texas?

Wait. Greg Flugaur admits that all of his "ND independence is doomed" Nostradamus predictions/dire prophecies were a bunch of hot air?

But he doesn't say anything at all about how completely wrong he was (even though he went on about it at length and promised everyone that big news was inevitable) until an ND fans asks him a direct question?

This guy has zero credibility about anything.

Reaction Score
On paper perhaps you're right, but I run into West Virginia fans that complain about Geographical location every time I see them and talk about the Big XII.

The Big East did pull members from everywhere as did the Conference USA. Can it be forced? Sure. Does it have a sense of cohesion? I'm not so sure about that.
CR cares not about fans nor cohesion. I don't think CR cares about anything other than $$$ TV contracts.
The B1G additions of MD and RU make perfect sense, yet make no sense whatsover.

Reaction Score
I keep coming back to the fact that UCONN is doomed. UCONN has been a DI program for a very short period. And I maintain that even though it went to a BCS game, most people acknowledge it went because the system was broken and the Big East stunk that year. UCONN beat Texas Southern, Buffalo, Vandy, WV, Pitt, Syracuse, Cincy, USF. None finished ranked.

Reaction Score
Agree that not inviting Penn State was the biggest mistake that the original Big East made. The second was when they had leverage was allowing Notre Dame in as a partial member. A conference has to be crazy to invite in a member who has no interest and no incentive to help the conference, only itself. Who else but the old Big East would be that crazy...
The 3rd mistake was not inviting Florida State along with Miami when both were independent & looking for conference affiliation. In the Spring of 1991, I picked a Sunday edition of the Washington Post while driving home from Spring Break in Florida with the family. The Sports section had a large column on Miami & Florida State pursuing conference membership. That the Big East took one & not the other set into motion its eventual demise. Miami was an outlier, & it was only a matter of time until it looked to jump ship.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
True, UConn doesn't have the D-1 history but it's not like we're going up against traditional D-1 behemoths either. Looking outside the P5, the best traditional program is probably BYU. They would bring the history and national following that would help the B12 or PAC. Next, who? Boise? Their string of recent success certainly can't be ignored and if we're talking about football programs only, they'd probably be #2 but even they don't have the long history that we always hear about dooming us. Cincinnati? They really didn't become relevant until after they joined the Big East. Granted, they have strung some OUTSTANDING coaching hires from D'Antonio to Kelly to Jones to Tuberville. They've demonstrated that they know football and will dedicate the appropriate efforts to stay competitive moreso than UConn (thanks again Jeff!). UCF? They are embedded in a rich recruiting ground but other than beating Baylor a few years ago, can anyone point to a long successful D-1 history that completely separates itself from UConn (or anyone else)? Ditto for USF, minus the beating Baylor part (although they have had some quality OOC regular season wins in the past). SMU's history is smeared with scandal. Houston? Decent but meh (really only an option for the B12). SDSU has been mediocre/average after Marshall Faulk. Nevada and Kaepernick but meh.

So yeah, UConn doesn't have the long D-1 history that others have had (even if that long D1 history was a history of losing like Cable Boxes U). But it's not like we're going head to head with any traditional football powers either. Yes, each program has their own attributes that are nice and most of them are located in better recruiting areas than UConn. But our CR profile is more than just football. We're the complete package once football proves to be competitive once again. And if a P5 conference is evaluating which schools would bring the most $$ to its conference, it's a tough sell to convince me that UConn isn't a firm #1 (or, at very worst, #2) on the G5 value list.

Reaction Score
FSU was rejected by the SEC and ACC for some years and continued to go Independent because they had to....now I, as an older fan, liked being Indy, but folks wiser than I am recognized that it would eventually be necessary to be in a conference.

Reaction Score
can't hurt i suppose.
http://college.usatoday.com/2015/02/18/top-10-division-i-schools-for-mens-soccer/
9. UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT: STORRS, CT.
In addition to the main campus at Storrs, UConn is spread across seven other campuses in the state, including the Jackson laboratory. The $1.1 billion genomic medicine facility partners with the UConn Health Center for biomedical research. Men’s soccer coach Ray Reid is one of the most accomplished in the nation, recording over 400 wins in 26 seasons with a winning percentage of .764. The Huskies have reached the NCAA tournament 16 of the last 17 seasons.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2h 2 hours ago
You can't blame BYU supporters of getting fired up after hearing what BYU AD Holmoe said today"intentions of BYU in P5 near term"paraphrase

Transic_nyc ‏@Transic_nyc · 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire But how are they going to force their way into the P5?

@Transic_nyc They can't. But AD comes out in public and makes statement of intentions for NEAR TERM. That means BYY had been talking to...

@Transic_nyc ...someone at least. Can't blame BYU fans for getting excited

At least BYU fans know that there AD has been working on it...talking with people.AD doesn't say something like that thin air

I'm not saying BYU will be successful in their attempt to get into P5...but AD is working at it...there AT LEAST benn communication

Reaction Score
I take this one of two ways:

1. Been communication. Q: Can we...? A: No. (That's communication.)

or

2. Two white shirts and slacks showed up at Delany's house and he got new religion, a free Book of Mormon, and a full conference slate. BYU and UConn to B1G it is.

Reaction Score
Hockey stick vs. hockey schtick is hardly fair...

And if Boston is Beantown, why is Chicago the Windy City? So much stuff to wonder about...

Reaction Score
TruDomGopher said:
Hockey stick vs. hockey schtick is hardly fair... And if Boston is Beantown, why is Chicago the Windy City? So much stuff to wonder about...

Especially since, Boston is actually windier. Trivia.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We would jump in a heartbeat. It would be step one to full membership. It gives us a chance to show fan support, albeit a smaller sample.

No we wouldn't. No chance. Hockey East is the better league, closer and is already doing wonders for the program. We'd take the step down to the B1G for a full invite, but no chance for hockey only.

pj

Reaction Score
No we wouldn't. No chance. Hockey East is the better league, closer and is already doing wonders for the program. We'd take the step down to the B1G for a full invite, but no chance for hockey only.

If joining the B1G in hockey was a step toward full membership, we'd do it. But if they invited us for hockey, why not for basketball as well? And then they might as well add for all sports, as the AAC might be reluctant to give us a football only membership.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
can't hurt i suppose.
http://college.usatoday.com/2015/02/18/top-10-division-i-schools-for-mens-soccer/
9. UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT: STORRS, CT.
In addition to the main campus at Storrs, UConn is spread across seven other campuses in the state, including the Jackson laboratory. The $1.1 billion genomic medicine facility partners with the UConn Health Center for biomedical research. Men’s soccer coach Ray Reid is one of the most accomplished in the nation, recording over 400 wins in 26 seasons with a winning percentage of .764. The Huskies have reached the NCAA tournament 16 of the last 17 seasons.

It helps. The fact that baseball is decent helps. The Hockey team making a better showing than expected (especially attendance) helps. Field Hockey even helps. Women's hoops certainly matters. Football is King and Men's basketball the Queen, but UConn has a strong overall athletics department. It matters. Against Louisville it mattered less because they are pretty strong at soccer, baseball, women's hoops etc. But there are other schools that are one trick ponies.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 2h2 hours ago
Is BYU sending a message to the Big 12?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV AD Holme basically said BYU is now open for business when it comes to football only membership in a P5. Yes..BYU sent message

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1h 1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV But he also did say no P5 at this time has approached BYU with FB only discussion.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 1h1 hour ago
@flugempire I don't think the B12 wants a partial member.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 46m46 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV They probably don't..but you asked the question if BYU is sending a message to B12. I think yes..Holmoe said open to FB only

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 45m45 minutes ago
@flugempire I just checked with a few contacts. Both said if B12 added BYU only as football
member the 10 current members would lose money,

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 45m45 minutes ago
@flugempire They said minimum TV payout would remain same but they would have to share Sugar Bowl & playoff $ with BYU.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 44m44 minutes ago
@flugempire So there isn't any way the Big 12 will accept even minimal reductions in revenue. The pie will continue to have 10 slices.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 43m43 minutes ago
@flugempire The Big 12 isn't going to consider anything until they know what the B1G does. They feel a B1G raid of the ACC is coming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom