Non-Key Tweets | Page 162 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1356442259-1.jpg

Santa Ono. If I found her eating the cookies & milk I left for Kris Kringle, well...I don't know what I'd do.

Post of the day.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't see how we can hang on for 9 more years with current revenue stream. It has to happen sooner, much sooner.
It has to be the goal of the athletic department to stretch every dollar to hang on for 9-10 years because there are no guarantees that anything will happen sooner. Strap yourself in.

Reaction Score
Well if Cincy doesn't land in The Big 12 or ACC it won't be from lack of effort on his part. They would be a good fit in either conference.

Frankly, if I was a conferenice commissioner or a president of of a university in a conference looking for a new member, I would find Pres. Ono's efforts a total turnoff. If Cincinnati does make it to the ACC or the Big 12, it will be in spite of his actions.

CL82

Reaction Score
Frankly, if I was a conferenice commissioner or a president of of a university in a conference looking for a new member, I would find Pres. Ono's efforts a total turnoff. If Cincinnati does make it to the ACC or the Big 12, it will be in spite of his actions.
Irrelevancy but I would think the guy's a light weight.

Reaction Score

Disagree. This guy has worked relentlessly at getting Cincy into a P5 Conference. I think it will pay off for them eventually.

Reaction Score
Ldandy said:
Disagree. This guy has worked relentlessly at getting Cincy into a P5 Conference. I think it will pay off for them eventually.

Yep. I'd much rather go down swinging than have a guy in place that isn't trying. Fortunately, there is a lot of money to be made on college sports and I think there may actually be a P6 or even P7 some day to take advantage.

Cincinnati belongs, as do several others and there isn't a fair or reasonable way to delineate who should and shouldn't be in. I think it is well worth it for all G5 schools that want in to try to get in if they feel it is worth the risk to make the financial investments needed. If those investments are made, your paid employees should certainly be working every room, angle, meeting, conference, interview and media/social media hard.

I don't feel UCONN works all angles hard enough so we either know where we are going or our administration needs to get it together. We do some great stuff but our day to day small scale promotion, press releases, social media presence, ticket sales creativity and aggressiveness and other factors are lacking.

In other words, why aren't Warde Manuel or Susan Herbst working the way this guy is? Not saying they aren't doing a good job, I like both a lot. I just hope they are playing the game the right way. If Cincy gets in somewhere over us, you'll have to look at this guy's efforts and wonder if he got it done with hustle.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yep. I'd much rather go down swinging than have a guy in place that isn't trying. Fortunately, there is a lot of money to be made on college sports and I think there may actually be a P6 or even P7 some day to take advantage.

Cincinnati belongs, as do several others and there isn't a fair or reasonable way to delineate who should and shouldn't be in. I think it is well worth it for all G5 schools that want in to try to get in if they feel it is worth the risk to make the financial investments needed. If those investments are made, your paid employees should certainly be working every room, angle, meeting, conference, interview and media/social media hard.

I don't feel UCONN works all angles hard enough so we either know where we are going or our administration needs to get it together. We do some great stuff but our day to day small scale promotion, press releases, social media presence, ticket sales creativity and aggressiveness and other factors are lacking.

In other words, why aren't Warde Manuel or Susan Herbst working the way this guy is? Not saying they aren't doing a good job, I like both a lot. I just hope they are playing the game the right way. If Cincy gets in somewhere over us, you'll have to look at this guy's efforts and wonder if he got it done with hustle.
Tweeting pictures of yourself with other administrators is decidedly small time and not particularly likely to be effective but I agree with your post otherwise.

Reaction Score

I feel like UConn is working as hard as any other school, but all of it is working behind the scenes. It may ultimately hurt UConn in the end by not campaigning publicly like Louisville or Cincy, but hopefully it'll pay off for us in the end

Reaction Score
I feel like UConn is working as hard as any other school, but all of it is working behind the scenes. It may ultimately hurt UConn in the end by not campaigning publicly like Louisville or Cincy, but hopefully it'll pay off for us in the end
UConn doesn't need to publicly campaign. Everyone already knows we belong.

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't need to publicly campaign. Everyone already knows we belong.
Yeah, there is no way schools like Louisville or Rutgers could get called up before us.

Reaction Score
Yeah, there is no way schools like Louisville or Rutgers could get called up before us.
That's for being newbies at the top level. We'll get the invite.

If UCF and USF get consideration, we're fine.

pj

Reaction Score
Having the meetings is a good sign for Cincinnati - it shows the B12 leaders are willing to make time for him and value the relationship with Cincy. But taking pictures and posting them to Twitter is playing to the Cincy fan base. It is saying, "Even if we get left behind in conference realignment, I did all I could. Twitter has the proof I put in the effort." Someone in a truly strong position, who knew he was going to succeed, would not jeopardize his relationships with the B12 by such grandstanding.

Are there any pictures with Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Harvard, MIT, Rice, Tulane, Stanford presidents? I doubt he would do this with academic peers he wanted to impress.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I assume they're working behind the scenes, but I'd like just a little bit of reassurance that they're doing everything possible to get us out of this mess.

pj

Reaction Score
Santa J. Ono:

https://twitter.com/PrezOno/status/562208013856305152

“The rate at which a person can succeed is directly proportional to the embarrassment they can tolerate.” - Douglas Engelbart
His strategy is to experience the maximum possible amount of embarrassment, and hope it gets him into the B12.

Reaction Score
University Presidents and AD's should know the landscape like the backs of their hands, at least I would hope so. 128 football programs, so 63 outsiders. I certainly hope the decision-makers are NOT relying on tweets and selfies to guide their processes. They all know about all the programs in the G5 and the indies. And the most meaningful discussions have to be happening in private.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2h 2 hours ago
From CINCY perspective of course President Ono visits are Big 12 expansion related. Nothing is happening in the short term in regards to...

...Big 12 expansion but The Prez of CINCY knows it takes first a relationship between himself and CINCY before anything could perculate

Other Presidents of G5 schools have beendoing the same thing as CINCY President minus the pictures.....Houston & UCONN Presidents being 2.

Reaction Score
I know basketball attendance does not have anything to do with conference realignment (obviously or we wouldn't be where we are). However, on TV it looked and sounded like there more UConn fans there...nearly 2000 miles from Storrs. That fanbase is pathetic.

Reaction Score
I know basketball attendance does not have anything to do with conference realignment (obviously or we wouldn't be where we are). However, on TV it looked and sounded like there more UConn fans there...nearly 2000 miles from Storrs. That fanbase is pathetic.

That fan base went home happy.

Reaction Score
Tweeting pictures of yourself with other administrators is decidedly small time and not particularly likely to be effective but I agree with your post otherwise.

I guess it depends on your perspective. It may be a bit heavy handed, but when Cincy Fans ask what is our administration doing to get us out of conference purgatory, This cat can say I'm doing everything I can both in the media and behind the scenes to make it happen. He's working The Big 12 hard because its their best opportunity, maybe the ACC might give them a look, but that seems less likely. I imagine that your AD and President are working hard to improve your position as well, although their methods are clearly different.

Reaction Score
I'm not looking for a constant stream of Warde Manuel selfies taken at the cocktail lounge of the hotel during B1G media day and stupid crap like that. Where we are failing is in creating an accurate narrative. The university still hasn't debunked the web world theories that:

1. We are a small market program. (Hartford is Med/Large)
2. That we have a smaller athletic budget than ABC U. even though it is based on accounting practices rather than strength or investment. Tell us why we account the way we do.
3. That the Rent is too small when it is easily expandable and was built to be expandable. Release some renderings, talk about it. Act like we are ready to pull the trigger on it.
4. That we don't capture part of New York in our market when Fairfield County is unequivocally part of our market.
5. That we deserved to be punished for the APR when we were victims of a witch hunt. (This could be said in a non inflammatory way while bragging about current APR)

On top of that, if we are working the landscape, give us some hope. Cincy is giving its fans hope with these pics and tweets. What are we getting? If you want to sell tickets and get donations, keep us believing. Silence is depressing.

Reaction Score
I'm not looking for a constant stream of Warde Manuel selfies taken at the cocktail lounge of the hotel during B1G media day and stupid crap like that. Where we are failing is in creating an accurate narrative. The university still hasn't debunked the web world theories that:

2. That we have a smaller athletic budget than ABC U. even though it is based on accounting practices rather than strength or investment. Tell us why we account the way we do.
3. That the Rent is too small when it is easily expandable and was built to be expandable. Release some renderings, talk about it. Act like we are ready to pull the trigger on it.
4. That we don't capture part of New York in our market when Fairfield County is unequivocally part of our market.
5. That we deserved to be punished for the APR when we were victims of a witch hunt. (This could be said in a non inflammatory way while bragging about current APR)

On top of that, if we are working the landscape, give us some hope. Cincy is giving its fans hope with these pics and tweets. What are we getting? If you want to sell tickets and get donations, keep us believing. Silence is depressing.
I agree...I would like to see some renderings of an expanded Rent. It has to be expanded if we are go get an invite, and our goal is to get an invite. Get some renderings. Make it clear it is not necessarily news but it is a viable option once the invite comes. An expanded rent with some expanded picnic area/viewing area will generate some interest.

Reaction Score

Agree with all of this especially the last part. Your AD is in a tough spot right now. Outside of hockey, they do not have a schedule in any of the major sports that can be easily marketed. They need to find a way to sell the idea that they are working toward something better, even though they can't openly discuss that. UCONN has had too much success in all sports to be left out of The P5 Forever. I hope you get a shot at The B1G, because I think it is a good fit, but I'm sure any offer would be well received.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom