Non-Key Tweets | Page 135 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If Warde Manuel and President Herbst both aren't working the phones 24/7 with every single B12 President and Commissioner Bowlsby, they should resign immediately. This may be the only P5 door opening in the next 5-10 years.
While I 100% agree - B12 has always been an astronomical longshot. Yet some here will still blame SH and WM if it doesn't come to pass.

Reaction Score
This is the non-key tweets page, right?

Friggin ESPN better subsidize UConn's entry into the B1G by promising them UConn keeps the $20m a year per team even. Throw in an extra $500 a year for adding UConn.

Reaction Score
I always follow UConn (Mostly basketball). I have lots of family in CT.

And I'd be happy if OSU helped UConn make their way into a Power 5.

The Big 12 just feels like a stretch though. Such a huge geographic gap. So I don't know about this option.

BUT watch this closely. When expansion talks start, various teams can get annoyed and sometimes it creates a domino effect with unexpected consequences.

I have my eye on Kansas. If for some reason Kansas gets annoyed or wants to look at other options, I'm sure the BIG would be willing to add them. We have been interested and we already have Nebraska-bridging that geographic gap. But Kansas is going to need a partner...

If there is any smoke in this direction, UConn might want to make a phone call.

Reaction Score
If Warde Manuel and President Herbst both aren't working the phones 24/7 with every single B12 President and Commissioner Bowlsby, they should resign immediately. This may be the only P5 door opening in the next 5-10 years.
Forget resign, they should be fired.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We bring very little to the Big XII. But sometimes, the value of an acquisition is in denying it to your competitor. UConn to the XII -- joining WVU, which has fans in metro DC -- takes the NOrtheast, which the ACC and Big Ten are fighting over, denies either of them a clear victory and, with no conference taking over (remembering that no dominant football conference keeps the Big EAst, and to a lesser degree the A Ten relevant in hoops), gets the XII's toes in the water. Texas and Oklahoma can then play the occasional football game in Fedex or Metlife, and hoops in the Verizon and Barclays.

That is what the pitch ought to be. And if the XII listens, it forces the Big Ten and ACC to think about being proactive.

Not bad BL. I suggest that you go rogue on this. Hop a plane, make the argument and close the deal. Use the flight time to Google the presentation Herbst made to the faculty on AAU as it has a lot of good academic info. You know the championship and successes by heart. Download a couple videos of the crowd cheering from the Mich. St and Iowa St crowds at MSG and cobble all of that into a presentation.

Your whole life has been building to this moment. Remember that it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. You got this. Carpe diem, etc. Now, God bless and go out there and get us a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
We bring very little to the Big XII. But sometimes, the value of an acquisition is in denying it to your competitor. UConn to the XII -- joining WVU, which has fans in metro DC -- takes the NOrtheast, which the ACC and Big Ten are fighting over, denies either of them a clear victory and, with no conference taking over (remembering that no dominant football conference keeps the Big EAst, and to a lesser degree the A Ten relevant in hoops), gets the XII's toes in the water. Texas and Oklahoma can then play the occasional football game in Fedex or Metlife, and hoops in the Verizon and Barclays.

That is what the pitch ought to be. And if the XII listens, it forces the Big Ten and ACC to think about being proactive.

I hope we learned the lesson last time about making a case for yourself. It's very clear now that you're either in the club or out.

Reaction Score
MH3 @MH3 · 56m 56 minutes ago
It's happening. I hate to say I told you so but #IToldYouSo

MH3 @MH3 · 58m 58 minutes ago
BYU and Cincy

MH3 @MH3 · 42m 42 minutes ago
At least we will get to renegotiate our tv contract. So long playing UT and OK yearly-it was fun while it lasted.

MH3 @MH3 · 19m 19 minutes ago
Also hearing Airforce, UCF, an Memphis are going to be on the short list of schools that will be seriously considered.

MH3 @MH3 · 17m 17 minutes ago
LSU and Arkansas= pipe dream. But have had 3 sources now tell me they are the top 2 targets the B12 will pitch to. #???

MH3 @MH3 · 7m 7 minutes ago
BYU talks earlier this year and UC talks from before make them my gut feeling after the dust settles

MH3 @MH3 · 4m 4 minutes ago
2 Big12 institutions already calling for Bowlsby's head.

MH3 @MH3 · 44s 44 seconds ago
Getting a lot of messages about Memphis right now: offering to pay big $$$ to come in and not take $1 of TV money for 5 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

BYU and Cincy

At least we will get to renegotiate our tv contract. So long playing UT and OK yearly-it was fun while it lasted.

Also hearing Airforce, UCF, an Memphis are going to be on the short list of schools that will be seriously considered.

LSU and Arkansas= pipe dream. But have had 3 sources now tell me they are the top 2 targets the B12 will pitch to. #???

BYU talks earlier this year and UC talks from before make them my gut feeling after the dust settles

Getting a lot of messages about Memphis right now: offering to pay big $$$ to come in and not take $1 of TV money for 5 years.
By UCF does he mean UConn Football?

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 1h 1 hour ago
@theatheistteach Not really. A conf gets an extra $6 million if it has a team in the playoffs. That's $600k for each school in the Big 12.

@theatheistteach The base for the B12 TV contract is $250m / 10 that's $25M. Divided by 12 it's $20.8m.

@theatheistteach So adding 2 for a CCG sacrifices $4.2m for an improved shot at $600k.

@theatheistteach I'm aware the team in the playoffs get an extra $2m for expenses & the boast factor is priceless but (cont)

@theatheistteach as long as the Big 12 can hold a CCG with 10 why would they jump the gun & expand at the cost of revenue?

@theatheistteach Also why be reactionary? AAC schools will be available next year & the year after.

@theatheistteach its part of autonomy. B12, ACC & SEC favor the legislation.

@theatheistteach It's actually ACC legislation that the B12 & SEC support.

@theatheistteach Swofford talked about it Friday night: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ahead-conference-championships-27399227…

@theatheistteach The only conf that benefits from B12 expansion is the B1G. Neither the SEC or ACC want that.

@theatheistteach Read it. There are logical reasons. The SEC wants to go to pods. The ACC is afraid of FSU losing the CCG to the coastal.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 59m 59 minutes ago
@LandThieves The B12 lost $300k per team by being shut out. They'll lose $5m per year per school if they expand.

Reaction Score
One pitfall on taking UCF and a someone other than USF - leaving Wets Virginia on an island has not been good for WV nor the XII. Will leaving UCF on an island make things worse?

Reaction Score
I always follow UConn (Mostly basketball). I have lots of family in CT.

And I'd be happy if OSU helped UConn make their way into a Power 5.

The Big 12 just feels like a stretch though. Such a huge geographic gap. So I don't know about this option.

BUT watch this closely. When expansion talks start, various teams can get annoyed and sometimes it creates a domino effect with unexpected consequences.

I have my eye on Kansas. If for some reason Kansas gets annoyed or wants to look at other options, I'm sure the BIG would be willing to add them. We have been interested and we already have Nebraska-bridging that geographic gap. But Kansas is going to need a partner...

If there is any smoke in this direction, UConn might want to make a phone call.

No to be a Debbie Downer; but, my concern is should Texas continue to block XII expansion even after this sub (I doubt the XII gets left out if Texas or Oklahoma was 11-1 at the end of the season), is if the XII fractures, and Texas & company (Tech, Oklahoma St & Kansas St) go to the PAC, would the B1G just stop at 16 by grabbing Kansas and Oklahoma now? That really helps both basketball and football brands. Under that scenario, I can also see West Virginia going to the ACC as they have good football and basketball and, of course, screws UConn over more. UConn ends-up stuck in the America with a few new XII partners, such as Iowa St and TCU.

Reaction Score

BYU and Cincy

BYU and Cincinnati makes the most sense, unfortunately for UConn, as it add a 'little ND' in terms of a national football brand in BYU and gives a travel partner for WVU. Also requires the least amount of shake-up.

As for Memphis, obviously FedEx plans to cover the Tiger's financial gap for 5 years if they get into the XII.

LSU and Arkansas is not happening.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 44m 44 minutes ago
Note: See Bowlsby's comments this morning.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 39m 39 minutes ago
Be careful what you wish for. If it were made today it would be BYU & Houston.

Brian A @BriUConn · 38m 38 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV why in the world houston??? They are saturated enough in Texas

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 38m 38 minutes ago
@BriUConn Ask Texas. They run the show. Screw A&M maybe. UT does not like traveling to WVU for anything.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 37m 37 minutes ago
@BriUConn But not going to happen. Nothing is going to happen until P5 vote on ACC legislation.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC legislation would allow them to not have two equal divisions, and host a title game a different way...but doesn't necessarily have to do with the total number of teams, right?

If I'm the other 4 conferences, I'm holding fast and making them go to at least 12. If they get to 12, they can choose any two teams they want for the title game, but not with 10.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 53m 53 minutes ago
And for my Notre Dame friends...you know it now, right? An 11-1 Notre Dame gets passed over w/o shot at Conf Championship. Times changing

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 39m 39 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV IF the Big 12 expands and does not take Houston....PAC 12 will take hard look at Houston (we both know UH has good metrics)

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 37m 37 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV IF...IF Big 12 expands it will cause some ripple effect....Houston would mostly likely benefit. PAC 12 needs C-Time zone UNIV

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 3m 3 minutes ago
I've been asked my opinion on Big 12 expansion results if they do proceed to go to 12 schools. #1 BYU/UCF or #2 CINCY/UCF or #3 ECU/UCF.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 2m 2 minutes ago
UCF local TV ratings (Orlando) are very good for UCF Football. Orlando market-recruiting area is too hard to pass up for Big 12.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1m 1 minute ago
BYU has a national brand...following....money. BYU would be school #11 if details can be worked out. CINCY is right behind UCF IMO.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11m 11 minutes ago
@BYUSportsBlog Very high...and this is why. I do not believe there is any chance the Big 12 gets their CCG with keeping league at 10 teams.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11m 11 minutes ago
@BYUSportsBlog I do not believe the autonomy legislation has to do with getting a CCG with 10 teams...only having to do with freedom to...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 10m 10 minutes ago
@BYUSportsBlog ...select the top 2 teams in conference for CCG (ie-no divisions) If I'm wrong I would like someone to show me written leg...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 7m 7 minutes ago
@BYUSportsBlog The attempt by Big 12 to get CCG with 10 teams will fail. Must remember other conferences expanded to 12 to get ok for CCG.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 5m 5 minutes ago
@BYUSportsBlog What is the incentive for the SEC/B1G/PAC 12 to grant a waiver to Big 12 for CCG at 10 teams? SEC/B1G/PAC 12 has 40 votes=61%

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 1m 1 minute ago
@BYUSportsBlog Remember,if the Big 12 does expand to 12 it will gain them the power to stop legislation with ACC/ND=27/67 votes=%40.29(>%40)

Reaction Score
i get UCF or USF because of the Florida connection around recruiting and both have had recent success. cincy's profile is similar to uconn's so I get them as well. the stronger football resume for cincy is countered with an overall package that uconn brings (academics, size of AD, and numerous NC's).

But in all sincerity, when people start throwing out programs like Memphis or ECU I just don't get it. So it took everything for both these schools to get an AAC invite, and now they are ready to throw down with the P5? ECU was probably a deserving FB program that got a late invite. But as a whole, if I'm the Big 12, is a school like ECU going to go all in with the cost of competing at the P5 level? uconn has proven it can and will with the current size of it's AD. The last thing any conference needs is a school that mortgages it's soul on FB and can't maintain it's other programs.

Reaction Score
i get UCF or USF because of the Florida connection around recruiting and both have had recent success. cincy's profile is similar to uconn's so I get them as well. the stronger football resume for cincy is countered with an overall package that uconn brings (academics, size of AD, and numerous NC's).

But in all sincerity, when people start throwing out programs like Memphis or ECU I just don't get it. So it took everything for both these schools to get an AAC invite, and now they are ready to throw down with the P5? ECU was probably a deserving FB program that got a late invite. But as a whole, if I'm the Big 12, is a school like ECU going to go all in with the cost of competing at the P5 level? uconn has proven it can and will with the current size of it's AD. The last thing any conference needs is a school that mortgages it's soul on FB and can't maintain it's other programs.

And if Texas hates traveling to WVU, wait until they fly into RDU, pass NC State and take a 2hr drive to Greenville NC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hope we learned the lesson last time about making a case for yourself. It's very clear now that you're either in the club or out.

I hope we really learned it. What is needed now is nothing short of Michael Corleone doing our bargaining. It needs to be an offer they can't refuse.

At the least we need to offer Bowlsby about $250k to float the idea strongly in the media that the Big XII is in talks with UConn, to see if the ACC gets nervous and takes us for #15.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Point6 said:
Tuxedo Yoda ‏@TuxedoYoda 3h3 hours ago
I was told this morning there is serious talk among B12 members about realignment, All East. Absolutely no shot for Boise& BYU. Zero.

Here's what Warde should be pushing. UCONN, Cincy, UCF, and USF/Memphis and use WVU to push it. 14 teams, a Texas division with OU and a non-texas division. Pitch that UT and PUBLIC don't have to visit the hinterlands but once or twice a year tops. Along with an entirely new TV deal, they might go for that.

If...If it happens, that's how it would go down. We are beating Ohio and FL as recruiting draws for the conference.

That story might peak a few other suitors. But probably not.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 4h 4 hours ago
Bowlsby said today the ability to have a CCG is the least important factor when the Big 12 considers expansion.

Bowlsby also said the B12 will consult with the committee to determine best course of action & expects no decision before 2015 season.

First action the Big 12 will do? Wait for legislation that changes rules for CCG.

@Doug_McClellan Autonomy gives the P5 the ability to set their own rules. The B12 will apply for a waiver & wait for autonomy to kick in.

@Doug_McClellan The B12 backs legislation by the ACC to redo the rules for CCG since 12 is just an arbitrary number.

@Doug_McClellan So unless Memphis is willing to not receive B12 $ for the remainder of the Big 12's TV contract & pay for #12 it loses $.

Kyle Jacobson @_KyleJacobson · 4h 4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV How so? They're desperate to get in. Fred Smith is rumored to shell out the cash and they'll pass on TV revenue

@_KyleJacobson They B12 would never allow that... Still lose $2million a year just by adding 2 in that case.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 3h 3 hours ago
@TigerFanClint As always the panic is more from fans fueled by the hopes of those damned in the AAC.

@Epfourteen You didn't understand. If the B12 added 2 today it would be UH & BYU.

@_KyleJacobson The B12 is already receiving a premium payment - money above their true market value.

@_KyleJacobson The Big 12 does not have an escalator clause in their TV contract. So no extra money for expansion.

Kyle Jacobson @_KyleJacobson · 3h 3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV If they want 12 teams, they're not going to bicker over losing $2 million.

@Epfourteen BYU is by far the best program available. Not even close.

A reliable source tells me the new P5 council could vote on changing the rules for a CCG as early as april 2015.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom