Non-Key Tweets | Page 102 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Read from top to bottom...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11m
@Transic_nyc I have stated before that Delany and Herbst are building a relationship. The 1.5 billion committed to UCONN by the state....

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 9m
@Transic_nyc ...for expanded research and faculty was a huge +++ for UCONN future chances in getting a Big 10 invite. But I don't agree...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 8m
@Transic_nyc ...with the possible timing of UCONN going to the Big Ten (end of academic year) which was stated in the article. My source...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 7m
@Transic_nyc is nowhere near that timetable....and this is why. If the Big Ten were to expand before or during negotiations of their next...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 6m
@Transic_nyc ...Tier 1 contract it would be with a Grade A Brand Football University that they would expand with...such as Oklahoma...to

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 4m
@Transic_nyc ...to create more leverage in Tier 1 negotiations with FOX/ESPN-ABC/CBS...any addition of a UCONN would be a few years......

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 9s
@Transic_nyc ...down the road. I don't think any Big Ten expansion is realistic until about 2019. So I disagree with the timing...but not..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11s
@Transic_nyc ...about the possibility of UCONN joining the Big 10 down the road. We KNOW Delany is building dialog with Herbst. We KNOW...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 12s
@Transic_nyc ...the announced commitment of 1.5 Billion in 10 years is a HUGE lift to UCONN CR options. This financial commitment to UCONN

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 8s
@Transic_nyc from their state has been underplayed....UCONN lack of Football attendance/quality has been overplayed. Big 10 wants research $

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Read from top to bottom...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11m
@Transic_nyc I have stated before that Delany and Herbst are building a relationship. The 1.5 billion committed to UCONN by the state....

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 9m
@Transic_nyc ...for expanded research and faculty was a huge +++ for UCONN future chances in getting a Big 10 invite. But I don't agree...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 8m
@Transic_nyc ...with the possible timing of UCONN going to the Big Ten (end of academic year) which was stated in the article. My source...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 7m
@Transic_nyc is nowhere near that timetable....and this is why. If the Big Ten were to expand before or during negotiations of their next...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 6m
@Transic_nyc ...Tier 1 contract it would be with a Grade A Brand Football University that they would expand with...such as Oklahoma...to

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 4m
@Transic_nyc ...to create more leverage in Tier 1 negotiations with FOX/ESPN-ABC/CBS...any addition of a UCONN would be a few years.

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 9s
@Transic_nyc ...down the road. I don't think any Big Ten expansion is realistic until about 2019. So I disagree with the timing...but not..

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 11s
@Transic_nyc ...about the possibility of UCONN joining the Big 10 down the road. We KNOW Delany is building dialog with Herbst. We KNOW...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 12s
@Transic_nyc ...the announced commitment of 1.5 Billion in 10 years is a HUGE lift to UCONN CR options. This financial commitment to UCONN

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 8s
@Transic_nyc from their state has been underplayed....UCONN lack of Football attendance/quality has been overplayed. Big 10 wants research $
Thank you Flugaur. I needed that today.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
upstater said:
It astounds me that casual fans are so dismissive of the Conn. market. I know this guy is pimping UConn and that there's a 99.9% chance he's full of it, but he sees UConn value in drawing eyeballs for ads across the BTN footprint. He doesn't see the value of the Conn. market, which is much more than just Hartford, a market that charged lots of for the privilege of watching UConn tier 3 games.

Fortunately, Delaney knows the value of our market. If it is in fact an advantage for us, the big cheese is aware of it.

Reaction Score
ndfan101 ‏@stoplot · 3h
@flugempire @expansion_crush You have said ND will be joining a conference soon. Looking at future schedules it seems unlikely What is the

ndfan101 ‏@stoplot · 3h
@flugempire @expansion_crush timeline you're told?

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h
@stoplot @expansion_crush Was told 2017 was first year that it was possible. Ohio st being on ND SCHED in 2022/23 does nothing to curb it...

@stoplot @expansion_crush Independence with ND base has lost no supporters......but with ADMIN it has lost plenty. Swarbrick retires in....

@stoplot @expansion_crush 2017?.....2018?...soon. Transition starts when Swarbrick leaves.....it will be coordinated. ND IND coming to end

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire @stoplot @expansion_crush I understand no one belives me....but be warned....not backing off this statement. ND will not stay Indepedent

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 6h
@OmegaSupreme914 @DooleyMcStitch @expansion_crush @Transic_nyc ...the Tier 1 contract is signed...the next money maker for Delany is BTN AD$

@OmegaSupreme914 @DooleyMcStitch @expansion_crush @Transic_nyc BTN Subscription was first phase...RUT/UMD helped big time. Next phase....

@OmegaSupreme914 @DooleyMcStitch @expansion_crush @Transic_nyc ...is the ever so slightly increase in eyeballs on BTN...AD dollars increase

@OmegaSupreme914 @DooleyMcStitch @expansion_crush @Transic_nyc ... UCONN entering Big 10 before Tier 1 contract does not fit...but after?

@OmegaSupreme914 @DooleyMcStitch @expansion_crush @Transic_nyc ..... UCONN potential value to Big Ten does increase...but will see if Gray..

@OmegaSupreme914 @DooleyMcStitch @expansion_crush @Transic_nyc ...is correct (UCONN end of academic year)...but I don't think so..

Reaction Score
ndfan101 ‏@stoplot · 3h
@flugempire @expansion_crush You have said ND will be joining a conference soon. Looking at future schedules it seems unlikely What is the

ndfan101 ‏@stoplot · 3h
@flugempire @expansion_crush timeline you're told?

@stoplot @expansion_crush Was told 2017 was first year that it was possible. Ohio st being on ND SCHED in 2022/23 does nothing to curb it...

@stoplot @expansion_crush Independence with ND base has lost no supporters.but with ADMIN it has lost plenty. Swarbrick retires in....

@stoplot @expansion_crush 2017?.....2018?...soon. Transition starts when Swarbrick leaves.....it will be coordinated. ND IND coming to end

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire @stoplot @expansion_crush I understand no one belives me....but be warned....not backing off this statement. ND will not stay Indepedent

200 times the charm with ND to ACC,Big 12 Big Ten, SEC, Pac 12. Maybe a twitter guy is going to be the guy who breaks the story .

Reaction Score
There are legitimate concerns regarding UConn’s ability to continue to compete athletically with the P5 over the long-term (10 years). Thus, right now UConn’s athletic value is near its peak with 2 basketball titles considering that the football rebuilding project is a 3 to 5 year timetable. Thus, if the B1G wants UConn at all and wants to be able to leverage more dollars from TV contracts at the same time, adding UConn in the near future makes sense. Of course, it is likely that UConn needs a partner and I have no idea who that would be.

pj

Reaction Score
There are legitimate concerns regarding UConn’s ability to continue to compete athletically with the P5 over the long-term (10 years). Thus, right now UConn’s athletic value is near its peak with 2 basketball titles considering that the football rebuilding project is a 3 to 5 year timetable. Thus, if the B1G wants UConn at all and wants to be able to leverage more dollars from TV contracts at the same time, adding UConn in the near future makes sense. Of course, it is likely that UConn needs a partner and I have no idea who that would be.

I don't think there are concerns about UConn's ability to compete. Once in a P5 conference, we'd do great.

I don't see conferences being rushed because of a concern about UConn's future competitiveness. They'll expand on their own timetable. But a variety of factors could trigger a move. B1G TV contract; Notre Dame status; the various antitrust and player-pay lawsuits; B12 moving to 12; SEC seeking new cable markets; ACC/B1G dueling for NYC/New England.

I think the timetable of 2019 for UConn is most likely, based on a decision being made in 2017 and a 27-month delay.

Reaction Score
I don't think there are concerns about UConn's ability to compete. Once in a P5 conference, we'd do great.

I don't see conferences being rushed because of a concern about UConn's future competitiveness. They'll expand on their own timetable. But a variety of factors could trigger a move. B1G TV contract; Notre Dame status; the various antitrust and player-pay lawsuits; B12 moving to 12; SEC seeking new cable markets; ACC/B1G dueling for NYC/New England.

I think the timetable of 2019 for UConn is most likely, based on a decision being made in 2017 and a 27-month delay.

By that time home games will be in Dillon Stadium

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 23m
11 months ago https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/10/11/leaders-urge-research-universities-look-beyond-us-government-support…. "“The federal government is stuck in the mud and it’s not going to get out for some time,” (Rawlings)

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 22m
“My confidence in our advocacy is waning”at the federal level,Rawlings added. Although the leaders of research institutions should continue"

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 22m
"pressing Congress for more support, they should now focus their energy into building partnerships with state governments and businesses."

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 21m
"Rawlings said that after nearly a decade of cuts in funding to public higher education and research,the funding landscape in state leg

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 20m
"was improving modestly. During this fiscal year, he said, 37 states boosted funding for public colleges, with a sizable share of those"...

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 18m
"increases going towards research. He cited the example of New York City’s investment"....and...the governor of Connecticut’s plan to...."

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 17m
"dedicate $1.5 billion to growing the science, technology, engineering, and math programs at the state’s university system."

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 16m
Hunter Rawlings III is the President of the Association of American Universities. UCONN has only added to their value in the last 12 months

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 14m
Because their plan was actually enacted into law (1.5 Billion Dollars) UCONN is a player in Conference Expansion...don't be fooled otherwise

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 13m
But timing is everything in politics and pretty much in life itself. Only relationships are being formed at this time....but don't underplay

Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 12m
what UCONN has already done in achieving to raise their value in accordance to Big Ten metrics.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
With the current Governor 6 points behind in the latest polling, what happens to the 1.5 billion that was committed to UConn with a potential change in the Gov Mansion, will it get funded or die? Has the Republican candidate said anything about this?

Reaction Score
With the current Governor 6 points behind in the latest polling, what happens to the 1.5 billion that was committed to UConn with a potential change in the Gov Mansion, will it get funded or die? Has the Republican candidate said anything about this?

I haven't seen anything pro or con from him, but it's probably important to note that UConn didn't start to rise from the dead until a Republican Governor worked with a Democrat legislature to make it happen. A party shift in the Governor's mansion won't necessarily change the mission or direction on UConn in general or STEM in particular.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn9604 said:
I haven't seen anything pro or con from him, but it's probably important to note that UConn didn't start to rise from the dead until a Republican Governor worked with a Democrat legislature to make it happen. A party shift in the Governor's mansion won't necessarily change the mission or direction on UConn in general or STEM in particular.

A governor who supported UCONN 2000 and UCONN 21st Century. There is zero guarantee Foley will continue anything unless he says so. Keep the won't necessarily BS in the Cesspool.

Reaction Score
A governor who supported UCONN 2000 and UCONN 21st Century. There is zero guarantee Foley will continue anything unless he says so. Keep the won't necessarily BS in the Cesspool.

Sorry - I didn't know something as soft and open-ended as "won't necessarily" was either (a) objectionable or (b) B.S. Thanks for enlightening me.

For the record, there's zero guarantee Malloy will continue anything, either, even if he does say so.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sorry - I didn't know something as soft and open-ended as "won't necessarily" was either (a) objectionable or (b) B.S. Thanks for enlightening me.

For the record, there's zero guarantee Malloy will continue anything, either, even if he does say so.
Or even if he does. #Politician

P.S> did I use the hash tag appropriately?

Reaction Score
I think Foley will slash funding to UConn. He should be called out on it during a campaign debate so that we all can see where he stands. As a general rule, the GOP governors over the years has not been UConn friendly, going way back to my days at UConn when Mr. Meskill ( I don't think I spelled his name correctly), was the governor. At least Malloy, despite being a BC grad has been a friend to UConn.

Reaction Score
I think Foley will slash funding to UConn. He should be called out on it during a campaign debate so that we all can see where he stands. As a general rule, the GOP governors over the years has not been UConn friendly, going way back to my days at UConn when Mr. Meskill ( I don't think I spelled his name correctly), was the governor. At least Malloy, despite being a BC grad has been a friend to UConn.

It's a general rule that until recently ALL governors over the years were unfriendly until the mid-1990s. Rowland and Malloy are the two biggest "friends" UConn has had since the 1950s, in terms of capital investments and attention. Rell didn't hit the gas but she also didn't hit the brakes, either.

Neither was perfect -- under Rowland, the operating budget was cut in real terms even as the capital budget boomed, while Malloy's unions deal kept UConn from implementing about $30 million in cost savings that it identified through a consultant -- but both paid attention to the University for the first time in decades, despite each man's private school upbringing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I don't think he will slash the capital budget. He may raise tuition, look for operational cost savings, etc. The state of CT has very few effective economic developer levers. The of the few tools is to bring UConn to a P5 conference so that the region has big time sports entertain and even more prestige in the world of higher ed. If you happen to rub elbows with major biz owners, you will hear that young talent continues to flock to i) good weather cities, ii) cities with pro sports or iii) select university cities. Pushing UConn to a P5 is frankly essential for the state's economic health.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom