Non-Key Tweets | Page 101 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Unless a "conference champ only" playoff happens, I would not wait for ND to give up football independence. Hell, if ND were only about money, it would have joined the Big Ten to make the most TV money. The ACC Network is not enough, in my opinion, for ND to even consider that drastic a change in its basic identity.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think that's exactly where this is headed. Conference affiliation will, at some point, be needed to gain access to the playoff. There isn't an undefeated or even 1-loss conference champion from any of the P5 conferences that would willingly and gleefully lose a top 4 spot to unaffiliated ND. And you know full well that a 1-loss 2nd place SEC team (ex - Bama loses by a FG in the SEC Championship Game) will cause a lot of havoc too. But the good news for ND is that this might not ever be brought up until the day came that ND is in the playoff and some conference(s) start b1tching about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hoophound if ND did join the ACC the incentive to leave it deminishes greatly for the other schools. So they could further stabilize the ACC like they could have stabilized the BE. I agree with Terry. They'll act in their own self interest, which they are entitled to do. I don't bear them any bad will, but I don't particularly trust them either. Of course if they want us as ACC#16, I'd be happy to come along for the ride.

Reaction Score
CL82 said:
Hoophound if ND did join the ACC the incentive to leave it deminishes greatly for the other schools. So they could further stabilize the ACC like they could have stabilized the BE. I agree with Terry. They'll act in their own self interest, which they are entitled to do. I don't bear them any bad will, but I don't particularly trust them either. Of course if they want us as ACC#16, I'd be happy to come along for the ride.

Exactly, but why would ND care about stabilizing the ACC by joining it? They want the ACC to carry on as is so they can proceed with their current business model. If they have to fully join the ACC to stabilize it, that's charity work. They have to get something worthwhile, like a disproportionate pay out.

Dooley

Reaction Score
ND isn't joining any conference to help the conference. They will only join a conference to help themselves (i.e. would need to join a conference to have access to the playoff system).

Reaction Score
Hoop....I thinks that may come next, disproportionate payouts or pay for performance After they finish off the G5, the P5 will start to look within to gain dollars and leverage.

Reaction Score
ND isn't joining any conference to help the conference. They will only join a conference to help themselves (i.e. would need to join a conference to have access to the playoff system).

Isn't that the same dynamic when any school joins (or changes) a conference?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now, probably. In the past there may have been more of a collective identity.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Of course. When did I say that I thought a school would/should join a conference for the sake of a conference?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The only want I can see Notre Dame being forced into a conference is if they somehow ride a sweetheart schedule into the playoff and bumps an SEC or Big 10 team that ran the gauntlet - but there's a 12 year deal in place for this structure so even that would not be immediate.

With respect to the Twitter fellow who believes Notre Dame is heading into the ACC fold, I just cannot see it.

Part of Notre Dame's "mystique" and desire to stay independent is that much of the bloom comes off the rose if they're finishing third, fourth, sixth or whatever in conference every year.

It's nice to have a bad year and not have to deal with standings.

Reaction Score
Hoop....I thinks that may come next, disproportionate payouts or pay for performance After they finish off the G5, the P5 will start to look within to gain dollars and leverage.

I agree. Are the top 16 or so teams going to want to share equal dollars with the bottom of P5 when they're disproportionately the ones that bring in the dollars. I'm talking Ohio St vs Northwestern or Florida St vs WF, Texas vs TCU, etc.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing Jim Delany doesn't have relationships at UNC when;

1. It's his Alma Mater, and where he received his JD
2. He played basketball there (2 x Final Fours and co-captain)
3. One child is an Alumnus, the other is enrolled there now

Also; From 1973 to 1974, Delany was employed as counsel to the North Carolina Senate Judiciary Committee. From there, he was hired to the position of staff attorney for the North Carolina Justice Department.

Reaction Score
The only want I can see Notre Dame being forced into a conference is if they somehow ride a sweetheart schedule into the playoff and bumps an SEC or Big 10 team that ran the gauntlet - but there's a 12 year deal in place for this structure so even that would not be immediate.

With respect to the Twitter fellow who believes Notre Dame is heading into the ACC fold, I just cannot see it.

Part of Notre Dame's "mystique" and desire to stay independent is that much of the bloom comes off the rose if they're finishing third, fourth, sixth or whatever in conference every year.

It's nice to have a bad year and not have to deal with standings.

ND's schedules are pretty tough. This year has the Irish playing FSU, Stanford, Southern Cal, Louisville, Arizona State and Michigan, among others (5 currently ranked teams).

ND is 38-15 under Brian Kelly, 22-5 the last two years. I don't think that ND is too worried about a hypothetical third to sixth place finish in either the Big Ten or ACC.

Reaction Score
ND's schedules are pretty tough. This year has the Irish playing FSU, Stanford, Southern Cal, Louisville, Arizona State and Michigan, among others (5 currently ranked teams).

ND is 38-15 under Brian Kelly, 22-5 the last two years. I don't think that ND is too worried about a hypothetical third to sixth place finish in either the Big Ten or ACC.

I don't see PURDUE anywhere in this post.

You can go to hell, Terry.;)

I firmly believe ND would finish #3+ in the B1G consistently. ACC would be cake tho.

Reaction Score
I don't see PURDUE anywhere in this post.

You can go to hell, Terry.;)

I firmly believe ND would finish #3+ in the B1G consistently. ACC would be cake tho.

Lol. "Among others"....I mentioned Purdue, right there.

Seriously, Purdue has often given ND all it could handle.

Reaction Score
Lol. "Among others"....I mentioned Purdue, right there.

Seriously, Purdue has often given ND all it could handle.

At times ND even gives Purdue all that it can handle ;)

Reaction Score
I don't know what has happened to Purdue the last five years...Especially last year when they did not beat a single IA team.

They, and Illinois, were once good programs on a national level and have now slipped into mediocrity (or worse).

I know programs cycle...but these two have dropped lower than I would have ever thought.

Reaction Score
I don't know what has happened to Purdue the last five years...Especially last year when they did not beat a single IA team.

They, and Illinois, were once good programs on a national level and have now slipped into mediocrity (or worse).

I know programs cycle...but these two have dropped lower than I would have ever thought.

Illinois hasn't been very good for a very, very, very long time. Purdue just dropped post Tiller.

I actually can't remember good Illinois teams since the early 1990s.

Reaction Score
Illinois hasn't been very good for a very, very, very long time. Purdue just dropped post Tiller.

I actually can't remember good Illinois teams since the early 1990s.

Illinois went to the Rose Bowl in 2008. They got killed by USC, but they were there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

What has happened to Purdue is there are too many schools recruiting players in the midwest and they don't get enough good ones.

Reaction Score
Illinois went to the Rose Bowl in 2008. They got killed by USC, but they were there.
I can remember them celebrating after beating #1 tOSU at tOSU. First year I had an HDTV, and it was sweet.

Reaction Score
I don't know what has happened to Purdue the last five years...

Danny Hope happened.

I REALLY like Darrell Hazell tho. Fantastic resume (OSU, RUTG, others) and a true professional. Plus I love the way he wears his hats....

PUhazell2-SB_zpsd04bb1b1.jpg

Bvnf2v8IUAALgRm.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom