Nika in Seattle | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nika in Seattle

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I don't think I am imagining that Seattle is marketing Nika pretty heavily, and they have probably sold more than a few tickets as a result. Lots of video time, interviews, etc. They have helped generate some buzz.

Maybe Nika makes the team, maybe not. If I were in charge, 100% she makes it.

But if they do end up cutting her, I think Seattle will look sheepishly silly. At best.

Reaction Score
But if they do end up cutting her, I think Seattle will look sheepishly silly. At best.
Of course Nika has to make the team based on her own merits, but if it's close between here and another player, having Sue Bird as your owner doesn't hurt. Wore her number, broke her records, and Sue of all people understands that UConn spits out WNBA-ready players.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Regarding the Storm keeping two backup guards — Skyler is a scorer and can play shooting guard. She might pout about it, but she can do it. I dunno about Melbourne, but Nika has demonstrated that she can play with another point guard on the floor, and very well at that.

Reaction Score
Color me impressed. Talk about three distinct cultures, climates, and economies! What's the common link, if I might ask?
Great question. For me, it is the culture of those places. The diversity of the people, food, and the vibe of those places.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

“My senior year, I spent 25 minutes before every single practice, even on the days that I didn’t feel like it, even on the days that I was tired, and shot threes and shot mid-ranges,” Muhl said on draft night. “That (improvement) is purely a testament to my hard work and dedication, and (Valley) being in that gym with me every time. I’m so grateful to her, and I’m also very proud of myself and how I just remained consistent.”

Reaction Score
Yes, I had seen this. It’s highly subjective. There’s a number of ways that Seattle can work their way around the salary cap to keep Nika on the roster. Ultimately, if Nika makes the case to be one of the top 11 players for the Storm, Seattle will figure out a way to keep her.
Indeed, if they want to keep her, they will find a way.

If she does not make the roster, do you think the NY Liberty will pick her up to correct their mistake? They need a good, back up guard with outstanding PG ability and dogged defensive mentality who can also shoot 3s, behind Vandersloot. While Ionescu can play PG, she is much more effective as a SG.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think I am imagining that Seattle is marketing Nika pretty heavily, and they have probably sold more than a few tickets as a result. Lots of video time, interviews, etc. They have helped generate some buzz.

Maybe Nika makes the team, maybe not. If I were in charge, 100% she makes it.

Whether they are or not, it is a natural story line: broke Sue Bird's records for assists at UConn, wore #10, not as good as Sue on offense but turned herself into a deadly 3P shooter, better defensively than Sue - was effective defensively against the current darling in WBB in a high-stakes FF game.......promises a good storyline on what might unfold this season and beyond.

Why not?, indeed.

Reaction Score
I have been a Lynx fan since Maya entered the league. Admittedly my enthusiasm waned with Maya’s departure. Love Pheesa and was thrilled when Crystal and later Dorka were drafted, so I have continued to follow them.

But have been all in on moving on to the Storm with Nika being drafted, to be clear they were always my second favorite, with Sue, Stewie snd honorary Huskie- Jewel ( not to mention stints by Kia and Gabby) on the roster it was a no brainer.

If Nka gets cut for purely monetary reasons, rather than being among the 11 best players (as Quinn has said will be the criteria) I’m pretty sure wbb will have to wait until next fall for me when our Huskies take rhe court.

This season is a critical time for the W, the explosion of interest in wcbb can be a catalyst for the same for the WNBA but its critical that they capitalize on that.

If the Storm can’t /won’t sign their primary draft choice for purely financial reasons, irregardless of her potential value to the team - that does it for me.

IMO It would be both unfair to Nika, in bringing her in to compete for a spot that wasn’t realistically an option and detrimental to the league’s real opportunity to explode.

I’m still hopeful that Nika gets a real chance to make the roster basd on her body of work. ( as stared by Quinn in quote beliw) If so I think she will be a Storm player this season We’ll know within a couple weeks

Quinn confirmed that Nika Mühl will miss tonight's game due to Visa issues. But stated that one game does not erase her body of work throughout her college career and from the practices in camp. And that she'll be back with the team when they return to Seattle

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been a Lynx fan since Maya entered the league. Admittedly my enthusiasm waned with Maya’s departure. Love Pheesa and was thrilled when Crystal and later Dorka were drafted, so I have continued to follow them.

But have been all in on moving on to the Storm with Nika being drafted, to be clear they were always my second favorite, with Sue, Stewie snd honorary Huskie- Jewel ( not to mention stints by Kia and Gabby) on the roster it was a no brainer.

If Nka gets cut for purely monetary reasons, rather than being among the 11 best players (as Quinn has said will be the criteria) I’m pretty sure wbb will have to wait until next fall for me when our Huskies take rhe court.

This season is a critical time for the W, the explosion of interest in wcbb can be a catalyst for the same for the WNBA but its critical that they capitalize on that.

If the Storm can’t /won’t sign their primary draft choice for purely financial reasons, irregardless of her potential value to the team - that does it for me.

IMO It would be both unfair to Nika, in bringing her in to compete for a spot that wasn’t realistically an option and detrimental to the league’s real opportunity to explode.

I’m still hopeful that Nika gets a real chance to make the roster basd on her body of work. ( as stared by Quinn in quote beliw) If so I think she will be a Storm player this season We’ll know within a couple weeks

Quinn confirmed that Nika Mühl will miss tonight's game due to Visa issues. But stated that one game does not erase her body of work throughout her college career and from the practices in camp. And that she'll be back with the team when they return to Seattle
Let's forget about the salary cap for a minute. The Storm drafted Nika because they saw something in her body of work over two years as PG for one of the best women's basketball programs coached by HOF WBB coaches that they wanted. What's changed? Nothing. Nika has been to camp and has done what she always has: worked hard and showed her skills, spirit, vitality and teamwork. Besides that the Storm has someone that apparently is greatly admired by their fan base. If the people deciding have only half as much sense about business and merchandizing as they do about basketball there is no way that Nika will be cut.

Reaction Score

It is not purely money vis-a-vis Nika. The Storm are Cap limited to 11 players (thanks to Jewel, Nneka and Skylar). Were they not Cap limited, they could carry 12.....is what I read. Hence, the best 11, indeed....I have not looked into it any farther.

But you know, it has to be a team of complementary size, positions, skills and intangibles and, desirably, flexibility.....Horston is more F than G but she plays both. 2 Cs: Mercedes and Ezi, the latter can play PF as well. Nneka at PF and up to 3 more Fs. Sami is a guard but she has played SF as well. After Jewel and Skylar, what do you do? Do you want heft in the front court or do you want enough size but more speed and flexibility?

Look at players who can play more than one position. You already have Horston and Whitcomb who can play G/F, Ezi who can do C/F. Leaving Melbourne and Nika aside for a moment, among the other invitees there are Mandjadeu (C/F) and Vivians (G/F) who also can do mutliple positions.

And so, what to do about your promising young players: Nika and Jade. The latter is supposed to be the better athlete and has improved her PG play as well as raised her 3pt accuracy to a little over 31% this past Australian season. If Jade is a better athlete, she must be quite good because Nika is no slouch. On everything else, Nika seems to have the advantage: defense, PG play & passing skills, 3pt accuracy and I would say, leadership and intangibles (older and the UConn experience). They are both 5'11", good size with Nika having more heft.

If I were Quinn, I would look for a way to keep both and develop flexibility throughout the lineup except for Mercedes. Nneka can play 5 when Quinn plays a small lineup for short bursts - it won't be so small with Horston alongside her (they are both hefty) and 3 guards, with only Skylar at 5'9".

We shall see.....

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hamilton Neill has a Middle Atlantic accent and lives in Australia--and mispronounces names badly. Go figure!

I think he is wrong about who makes the roster. Horston is a no-brainer, but the other 3 choices are problematic.

I think Nika will make the team because she, Jewell, Nneka, and Skylar will be the hardest workers.

I also think that Nika will make the team because Sue Bird is now part owner. The team has a great fan base, and Nika will add excitement.

If, somehow, Nika does not make it, she'll be out on the street for about 5 minutes. A few teams passed on her and will have a second chance to correct their mistake. At least one of them will grab her quickly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom