Nichols re injured ankle, could be done for year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nichols re injured ankle, could be done for year

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
As someone who had their sports career cut short due to reconstructive ankle surgery, I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. Flat out, you're a POS for wishing injuries on student athletes, in which a good number of them have their lives resting in the hands of the success of their basketball career. Unbelievable.

Ease up man, @James was clearly tongue in cheek there. He's not out with a tire iron clubbing ice skaters. It's okay for the first reaction to be, tough break for Memphis, and the 2nd reaction to be, this does help.

Reaction Score
By no means does that make Memphis an easy win. It wasn't just Nichols who punked us last game.
he's there best player. he had 16 points 8 rebs and 7(!) blocks last game.

D

Deleted member 3149

that's true, but when this team is soft, it's capable of losing to anyone. For example, Houston, Yale, etc.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And we've seen where out teams or opposing teams non star players step up when the star goes down. Can't take this game as a given. Can't imagine the UConn players feeling that way. For all intents and purposes UConn is in a one and done situation or at least needs to think that way.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
And we've seen where out teams or opposing teams non star players step up when the star goes down. Can't take this game as a given. Can't imagine the UConn players feeling that way. For all intents and purposes UConn is in a one and done situation or at least needs to think that way.
Yea, but those wounded tiger (no pun intended) games usually happen because the team down a man plays way over the other teams energy as a result. Do you really think boat and crew wont be hyped to repay that nonsense that took place in fedex?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yea, but those wounded tiger (no pun intended) games usually happen because the team down a man plays way over the other teams energy as a result. Do you really think boat and crew wont be hyped to repay that nonsense that took place in fedex?
Yes I think there will be a little added incentive to their play in this game. Hopefully the bigger incentive is about what's at stake for the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I agree James no doubt, but "nice"? lol ;)

its not an aneurysm, he didn't get run over by a car... I understand wanting to promote nothing but good sportsmanship, but 'nice, we caught a break against a team with the only player who scorched us re-injuring his ankle' isn't like we're praying Nic Moore has a knee injury...

which of course, I'm not doing either

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Yes I think there will be a little added incentive to their play in this game. Hopefully the bigger incentive is about what's at stake for the NCAA tournament.

Memphis was really enthused for our last 2 home games...we lost both games, and Austin Nichols...this team is beyond deflated.

Reaction Score
If we win, would the committee say something to the effect that we beat Memphis but Memphis was playing without their best player?

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm the only one but I feel like we're giving Memphis undo respect by celebrating (ok I know that's not the right word but you get the point) Nichols' injury. They are not a good team, with or without him. When we play mediocre teams I tend to hope they are at full strength, particularly when they're mediocre teams playing is on senior night. The last thing I want at this point in the season is a victory with a "yeah, but..." attached, especially when Memphis should be a team we tear apart. At this point, we're probably going to have to win the ACC Tournament to secure a bid, so it isn't as if this is a win-or-go-home situation. I'm not concerned about the opponent as much as I am about how this team plays, and this team has proven that they play better against good teams.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm the only one but I feel like we're giving Memphis undo respect by celebrating (ok I know that's not the right word but you get the point) Nichols' injury. They are not a good team, with or without him. When we play mediocre teams I tend to hope they are at full strength, particularly when they're mediocre teams playing is on senior night. The last thing I want at this point in the season is a victory with a "yeah, but..." attached, especially when Memphis should be a team we tear apart. At this point, we're probably going to have to win the ACC Tournament to secure a bid, so it isn't as if this is a win-or-go-home situation. I'm not concerned about the opponent as much as I am about how this team plays, and this team has proven that they play better against good teams.
So now we have to win the ACC tournament! Sign me up for the B!G tournament.

Reaction Score
I wasn't saying its a forgone conclusion, but you would have to be a mad men to think if you lose your best player you are fine. Brimahs life is going to be that much easier without nichols there who is an all conference level guy, the big guys can focus on boxing out Predator. Goodwin would just roam and attack the glass because nichols was the offensive centerpiece, now he is going to have to up his usage and try to score on the block ( he isn't good at that). this is all relatively meaningless unless we continue our level of play, so I agree with @champs99and04 there. I'm just hoping purvis has turned the corner a la boatright late last season

Reaction Score
Mediocre?

Why do we throw that word around so easily. I think Memphis down this year. But we've seen mediocre. That's not them.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Hate seeing anyone get hurt and hope he is better soon- we need to win with team's best players on the floor- or making the NCCAs will amount to jack .
Who cares who's on the floor for the opponents if we win? Why won't making the NCAA tourney amount to jack if our opponents best players aren't on the court. If we win our 11 next games with our opponents best 3 players on the bench for each game I will celebrate that national title with same gusto I have the last four.

Reaction Score
its not an aneurysm, he didn't get run over by a car... I understand wanting to promote nothing but good sportsmanship, but 'nice, we caught a break against a team with the only player who scorched us re-injuring his ankle' isn't like we're praying Nic Moore has a knee injury...

which of course, I'm not doing either

I am :oops:

Reaction Score
Mediocre?

Why do we throw that word around so easily. I think Memphis down this year. But we've seen mediocre. That's not them.

Memphis isn't mediocre in the sense that they'd finish sixth in the Patriot league, but they are by no means a top 50 caliber opponent. That's not to say UConn can't lose to them, because they absolutely can (and have). But they've been buried by virtually everybody on their schedule with a pulse.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Memphis isn't mediocre in the sense that they'd finish sixth in the Patriot league, but they are by no means a top 50 caliber opponent. That's not to say UConn can't lose to them, because they absolutely can (and have). But they've been buried by virtually everybody on their schedule with a pulse.

does this mean we don't have a pulse? or are we excluded by virtue of the "virtually"?

;)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
one thing is certain, we seem to play better at the HCC this year. Praise Allah the AAC Tourny is there

hope we avoid the GP curse Thursday, a missed FT (or more) and a 3 pointer from the visitor's bench area topped off by a boneheaded inbounds play

now that I'm thinking about it, we've made even more boneheaded inbounds plays than I thought

go Huskies

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Memphis isn't mediocre in the sense that they'd finish sixth in the Patriot league, but they are by no means a top 50 caliber opponent. That's not to say UConn can't lose to them, because they absolutely can (and have). But they've been buried by virtually everybody on their schedule with a pulse. (I guess Cincy and UConn have no pulse)

UConn isn't mediocre in the sense that they'd finish sixth in the Patriot league, but they are by no means a top 50 caliber opponent. That's not to say Memphis can't lose to them, because they absolutely can . But they've been buried by virtually everybody on their schedule with a pulse.

See how easy that is...

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
UConn isn't mediocre in the sense that they'd finish sixth in the Patriot league, but they are by no means a top 50 caliber opponent. That's not to say Memphis can't lose to them, because they absolutely can . But they've been buried by virtually everybody on their schedule with a pulse.

See how easy that is...

[IGNORE]

Does everyone else see how easy THAT is? (I am just so tired of this schmuck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom