Nicely done by the bench today!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nicely done by the bench today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many posters had the thought that Geno should play his frosh and subs plenty this year to prepare them for next year without Mo and Stewie (and maybe Tuck.) There is no doubt that Geno is playing his bench significantly more than in the last several years. Of course, this bench is significantly more talented. It seems that Geno is really having fun this year with all his talented players. Taurasi said it best when she stated last year, "You better get UConn now because next year no one will touch Stewie and UConn." DT knows what she knows.
Just MHO, but it seems Geno knows that several teams will be loaded and experienced next year. Without the seniors next year will be a heavy lift. I see Geno very aware of next year (& we know that Geno is typically very now oriented.) IMHO he knows that the future team will need to work together a lot this year so they will be well polished for the assault next year. Geno likes his team a lot and sees a fun challenge. Again, there were many posters who put this out over the off-season. At that time, I stressed Geno's emphasis on the now and developing the starting 5. It looks pretty obvious that those posters had it right.

Reaction Score
Many posters had the thought that Geno should play his frosh and subs plenty this year to prepare them for next year without Mo and Stewie (and maybe Tuck.) There is no doubt that Geno is playing his bench significantly more than in the last several years. Of course, this bench is significantly more talented. It seems that Geno is really having fun this year with all his talented players. Taurasi said it best when she stated last year, "You better get UConn now because next year no one will touch Stewie and UConn." DT knows what she knows.
Just MHO, but it seems Geno knows that several teams will be loaded and experienced next year. Without the seniors next year will be a heavy lift. I see Geno very aware of next year (& we know that Geno is typically very now oriented.) IMHO he knows that the future team will need to work together a lot this year so they will be well polished for the assault next year. Geno likes his team a lot and sees a fun challenge. Again, there were many posters who put this out over the off-season. At that time, I stressed Geno's emphasis on the now and developing the starting 5. It looks pretty obvious that those posters had it right.
Geno---Speaks always of only playing the game you now have and not looking too far ahead. That is true of the playing. But in preparing for the coming years--as a coach--he knows he has to have TALENT (recruiting) and experience. So he beats the bushes and Gym's and AAU and High Schools until any ordinary person would be sick. He's done well. He is giving Collier and Katie Lou praise and PT both are good for the egos. You again Coach are correct. Geno is getting ready for the No Jefferson and Stewie era. However Dangerfield, with some game experience will partially fill one void. No one in the foreseeable future shall fill the loss of Stewie--KLS may help towards that as will Butler.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno---Speaks always of only playing the game you now have and not looking too far ahead. That is true of the playing. But in preparing for the coming years--as a coach--he knows he has to have TALENT (recruiting) and experience. So he beats the bushes and Gym's and AAU and High Schools until any ordinary person would be sick. He's done well. He is giving Collier and Katie Lou praise and PT both are good for the egos. You again Coach are correct. Geno is getting ready for the No Jefferson and Stewie era. However Dangerfield, with some game experience will partially fill one void. No one in the foreseeable future shall fill the loss of Stewie--KLS may help towards that as will Butler.

I don't think Geno is doing any thinking about next year. He has his hands and mind filled preparing for this season. This year is different from any other he has had. He knows Stewart has stated that this season will not be a success unless UCONN wins the NC.
If this is the best team he has ever coached, it would be a big let down if UCONN does not win it all and make basketball history.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Your avatar of a sail boat look like the one I had sailing out of Puerto Rico. Lost of fun. Wive said it was a hole in the water I poured money into. Vieques and St Thomas easy day sails---if the weather co-operated.

My Endeavour 37, photographed in Rio Dulce Guatemala, was the locus classicus of the hole into which treasure was poured. I finally gave up this fall, decided I'm a LI Sound sailor rather than a Caribbean Cruiser
sold her for 10 cents on the dollar and bought a C&C 34 for some neat day-sailing out of City Island next season.

Reaction Score
My Endeavour 37, photographed in Rio Dulce Guatemala, was the locus classicus of the hole into which treasure was poured. I finally gave up this fall, decided I'm a LI Sound sailor rather than a Caribbean Cruiser
sold her for 10 cents on the dollar and bought a C&C 34 for some neat day-sailing out of City Island next season.
I paid to bring my boat to Puerto Rico and after 3 years there, I choose to sell her (for a bit better than you but close). Sudden storms in the Caribbean were a bit scary, but generally the waters were good for sailing. Almost ran into a destroyer and Nuke Sub--but I wasn't as close as I thought. Those skippers failed remember Sailing has right of way--HOONK !! Happy sailing.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Kia appears to be still in the physical mind set of the Pan Am games where short of a right uppercut, nothing was being called. She has to find that same aggressiveness without quite such a physical approach on the floor.

Best play by Lou today, and she had many good plays was the rebound she got when Nebraska missed the breakaway lay-up. She and Chong were the only Uconn players across mid-court and it could have been very easy for Lou to assume a basket and just jog back - she didn't.
Yeah, I think Kia just has to settle in to the right aggressiveness mode out there again. Last year she fouled out of the Stanford game, and early on she would pick up some charging calls, while late in the season she sometimes got a little out of control on D as in the two quick first half fouls in the Dayton game that sent her to the bench. But for the most part she is really solid and savvy, and when the comfort factor on D settles in this year with a new group of players, everything should work out. Of course there will be some new players coming back in, so the process will be extended a bit.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think Kia just has to settle in to the right aggressiveness mode out there again. Last year she fouled out of the Stanford game, and early on she would pick up some charging calls, while late in the season she sometimes got a little out of control on D as in the two quick first half fouls in the Dayton game that sent her to the bench. But for the most part she is really solid and savvy, and when the comfort factor on D settles in this year with a new group of players, everything should work out. Of course there will be some new players coming back in, so the process will be extended a bit.
I agree with the Solid and Savvy Kia. She either has a temper or played too much hockey as a youth--the Nebraska Kid isn't the only one she has flattened charging toward the Basket. She did the same thing in Ohio SU game, the call went on OSU not Kia. She is so smart and can do so many things I cannot believe she is out of control. Remember Shea Ralph as a player?? She was Uconn 'enforcer". Knock a Uconn woman down--and Shea would flatten you. Is that now Kia's role?? Taking on those that dump Stewie??

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno is doing any thinking about next year. He has his hands and mind filled preparing for this season. This year is different from any other he has had. He knows Stewart has stated that this season will not be a success unless UCONN wins the NC.
If this is the best team he has ever coached, it would be a big let down if UCONN does not win it all and make basketball history.

Hey Donald - there is a lot to agree with in your post. Absolutely it would be a great big letdown if UConn does not win it all.
I have some time before the Sunday Night NFL game starts so I am going to be a little picky here. Devil's advocate for fun sake.
Every great coach spends some time thinking about next year and how players need to develop into something better each year. When Geno recruits, he automatically has to be thinking of the future--his needs, style of play, etc.
It makes sense that Geno's mind is focused on this season--it is always his #1 priority. But we can all agree that a small percentage of time has to be spent on the future (even thinking about/and knowing where the team should be in March to win it all.)
One more nit to pick - Geno has had a 3 NC in a row stretch and had the opportunity to win four in a row. It just did not happen.
This is the same situation for the team to win 4 in a row--but, with this team it is a higher % chance.
We can agree that having 3 players win 4 in a row is different from any other year.
Stewie did say this season would not be a success if they did not win. A lot of us can agree with that too.

Reaction Score
Geno--whether he does it in person or with his advocates (Shea, Christine, Marissa) would be most fool hardy to ignore the Recruiting Circuits and home visits to potential recruits. He MUST also be considering his future needs--and discuss these needs with those who are viewing potentials recruits for him--Shea ,Marissa, Christine. It is the bane of Top College Coaches this time of year--they are pulled in 13 different directions--PR events, Community Service, Practices, Practices, Practices, preparing for the up coming game--School related events, social events- etc AND Recruiting. If you don't believe Geno and Staff are spending more than sufficient time recruiting and preparing for up coming games and being torn in too many ways just don't understand the job of Coach. Have some pity on Geno and staff--it's much harder than you think. that's why they make the big bucks

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
PhillyCoach, the other times UCONN had a chance to win 4 NC's in a row they did not have four starters returning the following year. Yes, I agree Geno has some thoughts about next year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
PhillyCoach, the other times UCONN had a chance to win 4 NC's in a row they did not have four starters returning the following year. Yes, I agree Geno has some thoughts about next year.
Just once. But yeah, 2005 was a completely different scenario with DT gone and a team just being pulled together with too much being demanded from the sophomores to lead the way.

Reaction Score
Just once. But yeah, 2005 was a completely different scenario with DT gone and a team just being pulled together with too much being demanded from the sophomores to lead the way.
You[ll forgive me for being ---whatever word you choose-- When DT left the Talent level dropped off quite a bit. Uconn really wasn't able to contend for the NC. Top of my head--maybe wrong--but Ann Strothers, BT, Will, Maria all good hard working women but without a strong leader. DT while with them impressed her will upon them and made them better than they were without her. Will that happen when Moriah or Stewie are gone?? I doubt it. Why because, Tuck, Nurse, Gabby are not subdued personalities--each is a bit strong willed and when the opportunity arises they shall RISE to the occasion. Tuck currently as is Nurse Vocal as needed.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno is doing any thinking about next year. He has his hands and mind filled preparing for this season.

Geno coaches this team to peak in March. He recruits to secure players for future seasons.

Reaction Score
Geno coaches this team to peak in March. He recruits to secure players for future seasons.
When he personally isn't "on the recruiting trail" his staff is viewing, and reporting to him about potential recruits--it's an ongoing process. Recruit, Train, practice, play, recruit, train,practice etc. It can't be otherwise--or coaches miss out on recruits--it is a competitive process. Loads and loads of travel, dinners, events, etc. It AIN"t easy. Or I would have done it.

Reaction Score
Chong, Lou, and Collier all in double figures for scoring! Nice to see Lou go 2-4 from downtown. Collier is fierce, and so great to see Chong contributing as well. Even Courtney got into the act with 6 points, 2 assists, and 2 boards!!!

Loved everything about the bench. Just wanted to include a special shot for Ekmark. SHe really looked like she belonged out there. Nice rebound in traffic. took ballot the hole. Beautiful touch pass on the backdoor to KLS and I loved loved loved the JAB STEP THREE that she drilled with one minute left. Awesome. A JAB STEP THREE.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Loved everything about the bench. Just wanted to include a special shot for Ekmark. SHe really looked like she belonged out there. Nice rebound in traffic. took ballot the hole. Beautiful touch pass on the backdoor to KLS and I loved loved loved the JAB STEP THREE that she drilled with one minute left. Awesome. A JAB STEP THREE.
On Ek, just wonderful to see the player we pretty much knew would come around once she had gotten the practice, had her game legs under her, and had gotten experience in the system. Far cry from about 10 or so months ago when certain posters were putting up ugly threads that had to be locked and others felt entitled from their vast experience watching UConn games to cry that she was just "slow and unathletic." Well, Maria Conlon made a nice career of being Geno's poster kid for the slow and non-superwoman type player, but Ek is rapidly showing herself to be a deceptively quick and solidly composed part of the UConn machine who hopefully can be a steady contributor to the long-range bombs arsenal.

Reaction Score
On Ek, just wonderful to see the player we pretty much knew would come around once she had gotten the practice, had her game legs under her, and had gotten experience in the system. Far cry from about 10 or so months ago when certain posters were putting up ugly threads that had to be locked and others felt entitled from their vast experience watching UConn games to cry that she was just "slow and unathletic." Well, Maria Conlon made a nice career of being Geno's poster kid for the slow and non-superwoman type player, but Ek is rapidly showing herself to be a deceptively quick and solidly composed part of the UConn machine who hopefully can be a steady contributor to the long-range bombs arsenal.

Don't care about the past. Just a complete joy to see the bench doing so well. Chong made some beautiful moves. Collier sticks a top of the key jumper. And today got to see Gabby drill 15 footer from the right side. I'm giddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The rebound today from Gabby - which Meg pointed out- what a rebound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before she pointed it out, I blurted out . . .

Damn this team is impressive.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just want to add after last nights game, that the bench scoring just 18 points, still looked very impressive! It is not just the points that makes for a great bench - it is playing well within the system and doing the little things. For example, when I looked at the final stats I was surprised by Lou's line because watching the game I thought she was so involved in 'good' things that were happening that it would show in the stats - 4 assists is nice, but her contributions to the team just did't translate as much to the box score as I had expected. The same for Chong, who I think is playing extremely well to start this season and played well last night again - there is a confidence in herself that was not there before, she no longer looks to the bench for affirmation after every play, just gets on with the game.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is KLS, Collier, Chong and soon to be added Butler come off the bench, all contributing and really playing well and the team doesn't seem to miss a beat. Chong finally looks like the player we expected out of high school just playing at a much faster pace and with a lot of confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom