Nice little article from Journal News re: Saniya | The Boneyard

Nice little article from Journal News re: Saniya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Ossining alum helps UConn win at Garden (video)

I decided to give Saniya her own thread. It was nice that Geno let her play, unfortunate that she couldn't score more. It is always interesting when a high scoring high school player comes to college and has trouble scoring. Tom Penders was the same way, averaged 30 ppg in High School, only 2 ppg at UConn.

I don't know if everyone will have access to this article, as Journal News might be restricted. The video is raw footage, but very interesting. Here in Westchester, Saniya is a big deal.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20131222/SPORTS/312220057

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Ossining alum helps UConn win at Garden (video)

I decided to give Saniya her own thread. It was nice that Geno let her play, unfortunate that she couldn't score more. It is always interesting when a high scoring high school player comes to college and has trouble scoring. Tom Penders was the same way, averaged 30 ppg in High School, only 2 ppg at UConn.

I don't know if everyone will have access to this article, as Journal News might be restricted. The video is raw footage, but very interesting. Here in Westchester, Saniya is a big deal.
I'm not really sure that Saniya is looking to score that much, or that it would really be appreciated if she was. With older teammates like Stewart and KML and and Stef and Bria and a bunch of others who need some shots, I'm guessing that she is focusing more on the passes and defense and rebounds and just learning game flow in an almost ideal situation where there is not a huge amount of pressure and there is a wealth of teammates to learn from. She's not in Ossining anymore.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
With all the guards coming in next year, she needs to show something special this year (with some consistency) or she risks being at the end of the bench next year.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
With all the guards coming in next year, she needs to show something special this year (with some consistency) or she risks being at the end of the bench next year.

Wonder how you know what role Geno has assigned her…I don’t.
Indeed, “special” with “consistency” is always a lot to ask of a first semester freshman.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Saniya has shown she's a very solid defender, and she "runs" the point effectively when she 's in the game. I really like her game. She's shown flashes of what she can do offensively. I actually like her or Banks as the 1 when Jefferson is out, keeping Bria at the 2. The last few games Bria has made too many poor decisions when she has the ball in her hands.

Having said that, unless Gabby or Kia play like AA's their freshman seasons, I can't see how Saniya wouldn't either be first off the bench, or a starter. Moriah, Brianna, KML, Stewie, and Kiah probably start. If not Kiah, than Saniya. I like her game a lot. She's a very good player who will have plenty of chances to impact games in her 4 years in Storrs...

Now, of course it all depends on how she grows and improves. Yes she needs to get a bit stronger, but what freshman doesn't? Very few come in to college with the type of body able to handle the physicality of the college game. But, we've all read that Saniya is a very hard worker and one of the quickest AND fastest players on the team. She's a keeper for sure!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at the game Sunday and after Saniya had made a nice pass and the shooter got fouled, Geno called her over, put his arm on her back and talked the entire time it took to shoot the FT's. He then patted her on the back. It wasn't his usual make a face and ask "what are you doing" type of talk but rather a teaching moment. I think he sees that rare quality in which a player is prescient in the sense that she is thinking a couple of seconds ahead of the rest. While Saniya is still learning to play defense and UConn's option offense, her best moments are when UConn is in transition and her speed and passing are most visible. I love watching her bring the ball up, her eyes looking for someone down court to pass to. Next year, when she is physically stronger, we will see more of her penetration skills.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
She made a nice pass in the paint (to Stef I think) that was sweet.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I hope "her defense" isn't the topic of discussion all season... geesh she's a frosh, we sure know how to take one person's opinion and run it in the ground.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saniya has shown she's a very solid defender, and she "runs" the point effectively when she 's in the game. I really like her game. She's shown flashes of what she can do offensively. I actually like her or Banks as the 1 when Jefferson is out, keeping Bria at the 2. The last few games Bria has made too many poor decisions when she has the ball in her hands.

Having said that, unless Gabby or Kia play like AA's their freshman seasons, I can't see how Saniya wouldn't either be first off the bench, or a starter. Moriah, Brianna, KML, Stewie, and Kiah probably start. If not Kiah, than Saniya. I like her game a lot. She's a very good player who will have plenty of chances to impact games in her 4 years in Storrs...

Now, of course it all depends on how she grows and improves. Yes she needs to get a bit stronger, but what freshman doesn't? Very few come in to college with the type of body able to handle the physicality of the college game. But, we've all read that Saniya is a very hard worker and one of the quickest AND fastest players on the team. She's a keeper for sure!
Agree with all of this Eric. The other thing to remember is Geno's comment to the effect, "There are kids I worry about from time to time. I never worry about Saniya Chong." Geno doesn't pay that sort of compliment to too many freshmen.

Reaction Score
I was at the game Sunday and after Saniya had made a nice pass and the shooter got fouled, Geno called her over, put his arm on her back and talked the entire time it took to shoot the FT's. He then patted her on the back. It wasn't his usual make a face and ask "what are you doing" type of talk but rather a teaching moment. I think he sees that rare quality in which a player is prescient in the sense that she is thinking a couple of seconds ahead of the rest. While Saniya is still learning to play defense and UConn's option offense, her best moments are when UConn is in transition and her speed and passing are most visible. I love watching her bring the ball up, her eyes looking for someone down court to pass to. Next year, when she is physically stronger, we will see more of her penetration skills.
The scene you describe was caught on the TV broadcast. Part of Geno's genius is to give each player what they need to succeed. This was just one illustration of his skill in action.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno has said Saniya 1) is a rarity in a freshman because she finishes very well around the hoop; 2) has an uncanny sense of the game; 3) is very fast; 4) is making strides on defense. Add to that the fact she does not turn it over much. Not too shabby.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Well let's see now...we have two current All Americans in Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson. We have three emerging All Americans in Lewis, Stewart and Jefferson. All of them can score and can score really well...is it possible that Saniya who everyone knows can score and can shoot the three...is concentrating on learning her position in Geno's system. I believe Saniya's scoring will be there when we need it...simple truth...we just don't need it now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno has confidence in Saniya. She didn't score much on Sunday, but to her credit, she did not force things. She'll be fine. Cal is actually a well-coached team that played good defense.

Reaction Score

I think how she is playing next November is a lot more important than how she plays in January of her freshman year in terms of how much playing time she gets next year. Whether or not she shows something special this year won't determine her minutes next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom