Nice article on Bazz in today's Boston Globe | The Boneyard

Nice article on Bazz in today's Boston Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's really long. Great stuff in there.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...conn-career/jV2fVGOABqryzdBtSmzrGI/story.html

A few good quotes.

“I remember seeing three or four really good plays, and I said, ‘Is that Napier?’ ” Calhoun recalled. “[An assistant] says, ‘Yeah, Coach, he’s like fourth or fifth on our list.’ ”

Napier became Calhoun’s top priority.

“Bottom line,” Calhoun said, “I said, ‘You know, let me watch him. You guys go to the other game.’ ”

He saw things in Napier that reminded him of a player he already had, Kemba Walker — the potential to be a great player and a great personality.

He also saw things that were similar to himself. Napier grew up in Roxbury. Calhoun was born in Braintree and coached at Northeastern.

“I saw a tough Boston city kid,” Calhoun said. “I’m a tough Boston city kid myself. So I saw a lot of parallels.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Early on, Calhoun was tough on Napier, but he had a purpose.

“He needed someone that was going to kind of kick his ass a little bit, but love him,” Calhoun said. “He always needed love.

“He’s like a good hound dog. He’ll sniff you out, find out if you really care. If you’re going to call him names and yell at him and push him, you also have to love him. I loved him.

“I think the greatest thing is, he knew it. Even when he wasn’t the Shabazz Napier we know today, he always knew that people — we at UConn — cared about him.”

They didn’t always see eye to eye, but Calhoun always felt he could get through to Napier.

“Through it all, through all these emotions, through the mood swings that we all go through especially at his age, he’s smart and he always understood,” Calhoun said. “I used to tell him, ‘You know what I’m saying to you is 100 percent true. You’re a smart guy. You know it’s true.’ ”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Awesome article, and the full text is available with your link. I think my mancrush on Bazz grows with every article

Reaction Score
Awesome article, and the full text is available with your link. I think my mancrush on Bazz grows with every article
Glad everyone can access it. I edited my prelude to take out that you need a subscription to read it. It is a really good article.

Reaction Score
Hard to read it without noticing that Bazz is a combination of the people around him. I like the amount of time the article focused on Blalock. I didn't know we can credit Blalock for Bazz coming back his senior year. Inner city kids obviously need 'Blalock's' in their lives not for basketball but for life as extended family.

Blalock (Big Brother), Other Older Kids (Brother's Keeper), Calhoun (Father Figure) and Ollie (Mentor). Bazz will be just fine NBA or not, he's got a solid foundation.

Boy to Man story personified.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
my favorite quote was this by ko

"You can lead us through this darkness, because if you lead us through this darkness, it’s light right around the corner.’ And he just led us through."

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Story also did not report that we recruited Blalock. Went to Mid Madness when he was a Junior in HS. He and his other friend were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom