NFL.com ranks every FBS qb situation. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NFL.com ranks every FBS qb situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and TB goes 3-1 in the games CC started. .

Nope TB at best would have won 1 game, maybe.

The pass protection for Cochran stunk.......... but it didn't matter because he got the ball out before taking the sack. That by the way is why Casey will be the QB, he doesn't take sacks and he can complete a pass with a defender in his face, the other two QB's could not do it.

Reaction Score

The pass protection for Cochran stunk..... but it didn't matter because he got the ball out before taking the sack. That by the way is why Casey will be the QB, he doesn't take sacks and he can complete a pass with a defender in his face, the other two QB's could not do it.
Okay.

Reaction Score
has Whitmer completed a pass where his feet are moving? seem to have a ton of footage in my brain with Whitmer rolling out, and throwing the ball 5 yards into the ground or at a receivers feet.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
When Casey threw for 461 yards or whatever he left "neck and neck" in his rear view. That game showed me everything I needed to know about Casey. Take all freescooter's spot on commentary about Casey's poise, accuracy and football savvy and then just throw a record setting performance on top of that and you have your starting QB. Don't get me wrong, I see why you think Chandler has lots of potential and I don't think you are nuts. However, Casey puts up big numbers and takes care of the ball. My biggest concern with Casey is that he was so good, he might not be able to keep it up. I just don't think Chandler has the innate ability Casey does to make the right decision almost every time. On top of that, Casey has the ball on a string.

Don't get me wrong, I loved every second of the 461 yard game. But let's be honest about that; it wasn't against Michigan or Maryland. It was with a Foley-led OL. It WASN'T with a GDL OL and playcalling (instead of Weist / Day). The new regime simplified the gameplan and they simplified the offensive blocking schemes. They went back to what works.

Casey took care of the ball, which I definitely like. But the gameplan was also geared around taking care of the ball. Still, there's a beauty to being methodical and marching up the field. I look forward to seeing those two battle it out and may the best Husky win...

Reaction Score
Drew Henson-Tom Brady, Chris Simms-Major Applewhite, those are example of situations where pretty big time head coaches either made silly decisions, bad decisions or wrong decisions about quarterbacks based on things other than on the field play. I worry that Diaco falls into the same trap.

The pass protection for Cochran stunk..... but it didn't matter because he got the ball out before taking the sack. That by the way is why Casey will be the QB, he doesn't take sacks and he can complete a pass with a defender in his face, the other two QB's could not do it.

PP could not even make up his mind on who should have been under center. Did no favor to TB as he was not ready for this level with that line. Paul was a prototypical guy and at this level sometimes little guys can do big things. He was looking at everything from a NFL point of view.
BD and staff have come across as crossing T's and dotting I's as we have never seen in the past. That and understanding the level we are at.
I feel confident they will not have a problem making up their mind, I also feel if someone beats out Casey for the job we have no worries at QB. Along with Mets, not sure how that will happen.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By most accounts Cochran isn't a great practice player, and that's what worries me. We have all sorts of reasons that Boyle ought to be the choice. He is a quarterback out of central casting. Except that he wasn't as good as Cochran...and it wasn't close. An what worries me a little was a comment I heard from Diaco about the competition each played against...as if Boyle somehow gets a pass when didn't generate any offense against a horrible South Florida team, and Cochran didn't bring the team back from way behind in Philadelphia when by rights they could have and probably most teams would have quit. He never ever quit. I worry a new coach will ignore last year's on field performance, or at least discount it and get impressed with "measurables" and practice performance and not actual game performance.

So your concern is that Diaco can't choose the quarterback that gives the team the best chance to win?

Since he seems pretty bright I'm going to give him the benefit
of the doubt and he has watched practice and the tapes of the big wins over Temple, Rutgers and Memphis and knows how to weigh them.

Reaction Score
Based on the guys Diaco is bringing in with his first recruiting class, I think TB may get the nod due to his size. Diaco clearly likes big, tall football players very much. I hope he doesn't become too enamored by Tim's build just because Casey isn't quite in the physical mold he is looking for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Personally, I don't care who starts at QB. They all have Pro's and Con's and I would be happy with any three of them starting. With Foley coaching the OL, Max and every RB coming in and probably the best receiving corps UConn has ever seen, I feel believe any of three will have a successful season under center.

Reaction Score

I agree though I doubt he wins 1. Maybe Memphis, thought hte game might have been unwatchable. Somebody was paying attention. The defense gave up nothing, two field goals and 250 yards total offense against South Florida. And USF was not a good team. The offense was awful under Boyle. I think you could make the case that it was worse with Boyle running the show than Whitmer. The UConn offense scored 10 against USF, 10 against Cincy (Vann scored on a fumble recovery for the other 6), 10 against UCF (Casey thew the longest td pass of the season to that point, 46 yards late to get to 17) , 3 against Louisville (Cochran got 7 in relief on a 15 yarder to Abrams). Boyle had a fumble returned for a td in the USF game, a pick 6 against Louisville and a pass interception that set up a score against Cincy where the defender was pushed down at the UConn 2. In limityed time in th e4th quarter of the Louisville game Cochran was 7-11-95 with a td. Boyle had thrown for 42 yards through 3 1/2 quarters. It wasn't even close. Strikes me as odd how badly the coaches missed on this to tell you the truth. I always had the impression that for some reason they were in love with Boyle's numbers and thought playing him would make a big splash and ignored Cochran until it was far too late. I just hope this staff doesn't make the same mistake.

Reaction Score
Let's try this again: New coaching staff. New systems. Stealing Kenny's line:

Last year's play will help how [insert player name] performs in August. The starting lineup will only be determined by how each {insert player name position group} performs in August.

There are essentially only two players that do not fit this profile. One is Byron Jones and the other is Alex Mateas. Cochran is going to have to earn the job in August, no different than any other QB on the roster, and I would not count out Boyle, and especially Whitmer as being the starting QB on August 29.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree though I doubt he wins 1. Maybe Memphis, thought hte game might have been unwatchable. Somebody was paying attention. The defense gave up nothing, two field goals and 250 yards total offense against South Florida. And USF was not a good team. The offense was awful under Boyle. I think you could make the case that it was worse with Boyle running the show than Whitmer. The UConn offense scored 10 against USF, 10 against Cincy (Vann scored on a fumble recovery for the other 6), 10 against UCF (Casey thew the longest td pass of the season to that point, 46 yards late to get to 17) , 3 against Louisville (Cochran got 7 in relief on a 15 yarder to Abrams). Boyle had a fumble returned for a td in the USF game, a pick 6 against Louisville and a pass interception that set up a score against Cincy where the defender was pushed down at the UConn 2. In limityed time in th e4th quarter of the Louisville game Cochran was 7-11-95 with a td. Boyle had thrown for 42 yards through 3 1/2 quarters. It wasn't even close. Strikes me as odd how badly the coaches missed on this to tell you the truth. I always had the impression that for some reason they were in love with Boyle's numbers and thought playing him would make a big splash and ignored Cochran until it was far too late. I just hope this staff doesn't make the same mistake.

You've done your homework and definitely made some great points. Obviously Cochran was the more game ready QB last year as all you stats have shown, but was passed over because supposedly, I'm assuming, he's bad practice player. But, how much of Boyle's performace do you think can be attributed to the coaching change mid way through the season? And how much can be blamed to just inexperience? Do you think redshirting him will help him become more ready for this level of play? To me I think if Cochran does in fact win out the starting job Boyle is going to be gone next year because of the two QB's coming. That being said, I'll be happy with any three of the QB's starting as long as I can see Max D run over some linebackers :)

Reaction Score
You've done your homework and definitely made some great points. Obviously Cochran was the more game ready QB last year as all you stats have shown, but was passed over because supposedly, I'm assuming, he's bad practice player. But, how much of Boyle's performace do you think can be attributed to the coaching change mid way through the season? And how much can be blamed to just inexperience? Do you think redshirting him will help him become more ready for this level of play? To me I think if Cochran does in fact win out the starting job Boyle is going to be gone next year because of the two QB's coming. That being said, I'll be happy with any three of the QB's starting as long as I can see Max D run over some linebackers :)

Personally, I'm glad we've got a returning senior center with a whole bunch of experience. One of the overlooked things by many that was key to our successes in the past decade, was that we had rocks playing the center position. Edsall failed to build up the depth of the OL, as we've all witnessed in the past few seasons, Pasqualoni started rebuilding it, and Diaco came in and made his first recruiting priority essentially all OL. Edsall had recruited a couple of multiple year starters in the 2000s, for the OL that we rode to a lot of wins.

Reaction Score
So your concern is that Diaco can't choose the quarterback that gives the team the best chance to win?

Since he seems pretty bright I'm going to give him the benefit
of the doubt and he has watched practice and the tapes of the big wins over Temple, Rutgers and Memphis and knows how to weigh them.
yeah, because Pasqualoni didn't try to pick the quarterback he thought gave the best chance, nor did Weist (remember Weist ultimately made the switch and was OC so had at least some input). And Lloyd Carr didn't try to pick the guy who gave him the best chance when he started Henne over Brady. Brown didn't when he insisted on starting Chris Simms over Applewhite. the BC coach started some forgettable guy over Flutie and only used him in mopup duty until he almost brought the team back from 4 touchdowns down in the 4th quarter...For whatever reason, the coaches missed badly on Cochran last year. Reports are that he didn't practice well. If you are now saying that the choice will be made based on practice, since until August 29 that's what happens in August, I think there is at least a chance that a new staff becomes enamored with Boyle's "measurables" and ignores Cochran's intangibles, too. I doubt that Cochran's practice pattern was the deciding factor though. I had a sense last year that the Boyle experiment came about because Pasqualoni, Weist et al thought he was the future so they used him to keep him in the fold. They didn't bother looking at Cochran and they probably never even considered him. My view was that Boyle really was not getting it done and I would have replaced him no later than midway through his 2nd start, but they felt they had to go until it became almost painful to watch. And if Cochran ends up as the starter this year and performs well, Boyle is sentenced to the unenviable position of permanent backup, since Cochran has 2 more years beyond this one. If he establishes himself as the Man this year, he isn't getting moved out until he graduates. If they really think Boyle is the real deal, as P and Weist seem to have, you almost have to start him and hope for the best. If he flames out, or worse never flames at all, you can go back to Cochran and try to salvage the season. I just hate risking everything on a guess when real world evidence indicates that Cochran has the tools to lead this team.

Reaction Score
Cochran accomplished too much late last season not to get the nod to start this season. Coach's say what coach's say, but Cochran will be under center for BYU.

I think Whitmer backs up Cochran and Boyle wears a shirt.

Reaction Score
This is the reason a large part of me wishes we could have retained Coaches Weist and Day. Transitioning to a new offense is usually very hard on QBs and O-lineman. I liked what I saw of the offense over those final four games last season.

I hope Coach D keeps some of that playbook.

Reaction Score
This is the reason a large part of me wishes we could have retained Coaches Weist and Day. Transitioning to a new offense is usually very hard on QBs and O-lineman. I liked what I saw of the offense over those final four games last season.

I hope Coach D keeps some of that playbook.

From what I gathered from what Diaco and Co. have said, the playbook is going to be similar to pre PP/GDL era. Power running game and play action pass. I think we have the right players in place to play this kind of offense, but it all depends on how well they pick it up. I think there'll be some early struggles, but come conference play we should be able to a decent job moving the ball down field.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Personally, I'm glad we've got a returning senior center with a whole bunch of experience. One of the overlooked things by many that was key to our successes in the past decade, was that we had rocks playing the center position. Edsall failed to build up the depth of the OL, as we've all witnessed in the past few seasons, Pasqualoni started rebuilding it, and Diaco came in and made his first recruiting priority essentially all OL. Edsall had recruited a couple of multiple year starters in the 2000s, for the OL that we rode to a lot of wins.

Saying that Edsall didn't build OL depth can only be partly-true at best. We lost McKee and Kuraczea prematurely...

Reaction Score
Saying that Edsall didn't build OL depth can only be partly-true at best. We lost McKee and Kuraczea prematurely...

OL depth is a problem that both the Diaco regime, and the Pasqualoni regime talked about publicly - since their respective proverbial day 1's on the job. Diaco's situation is actually better than Pasqualoni's was with regard to OL depth. We didn't recruit enough OL's, in Edsall's later years, and of the number we did recruit, we didn't keep enough OL's in the program. There is always attrition with players. This isn't debateable friend.

To try to keep this on track though, QB play - OL play, they go together like peanut butter and jelly, ice cold milk and an oreo cookie. Blocking calls, adjustments at the line of scrimmage, identifying defenses and communication - it happens right up the gut with the C - QB. We've got a senior center starting on the OL. THe last time we had a senior center starting on the OL was 2011. That was the last time we made it to the final game of the season, and had a legit chance at the post season. Coincidence? Maybe - maybe not.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Personally, I don't care who starts at QB. They all have Pro's and Con's and I would be happy with any three of them starting. With Foley coaching the OL, Max and every RB coming in and probably the best receiving corps UConn has ever seen, I feel believe any of three will have a successful season under center.

This is where I am. It feels odd to me that people have such strong opinions about who should start when this year is completely different than last year. How can you be confident that one QB is better than another when so much has changed since last year? Can you really say Cochran is still better than Boyle when all we saw of Boyle was his performance 5 months after High School? I would guess he is a little better a year later. Plus...new coaches..new line.

I am not saying I am pro Boyle...but I really don't feel strongly about any of the QBs. Until I have reason to think otherwise, I will trust the coaching staff to make the call.

Reaction Score
Last year's play will help how Ashiru performs in August. The starting lineup will only be determined by how each linebacker performs in August.

Last year's play will help how Boyle performs in August. The starting lineup will only be determined by how each quarterback performs in August.

Last year's play will help how Samra performs in August. The starting lineup will only be determined by how each offensive lineman performs in August.

Last year's play will help Jhavon Williams performs in August. The starting lineup will only be determined by how each defensive back performs in August.

Last year's play will help how Delorenzo peforms in August. The starting lineup will only be determined by how each running back performs in August. (personally, I think #26 Marriner is going to give him a run for his money in who's #1 in carrying the pig)

Last year's play will help how Pruitt, Campenni, etc. etc....performs in August. The starting lineup will only be determined by how each defensive lineman performs in August.

It's a fun game - play it.

Realistically, I can now only think of 3 players, not two, that it doesn't really apply to. Mateas at C, Jones at CB, and Davis at WR.

Every single other position is, and should be, up for grabs.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
OL depth is a problem that both the Diaco regime, and the Pasqualoni regime talked about publicly - since their respective proverbial day 1's on the job. Diaco's situation is actually better than Pasqualoni's was with regard to OL depth. We didn't recruit enough OL's, in Edsall's later years, and of the number we did recruit, we didn't keep enough OL's in the program. There is always attrition with players. This isn't debateable friend.

To try to keep this on track though, QB play - OL play, they go together like peanut butter and jelly, ice cold milk and an oreo cookie. Blocking calls, adjustments at the line of scrimmage, identifying defenses and communication - it happens right up the gut with the C - QB. We've got a senior center starting on the OL. THe last time we had a senior center starting on the OL was 2011. That was the last time we made it to the final game of the season, and had a legit chance at the post season. Coincidence? Maybe - maybe not.

I was not arguing that we didn't lack depth. I was arguing that it was all Edsall's fault. If you lose two 3-star solid prospects years before you should have, it affects your depth at that position. Could Edsall have predicted that? I'm arguing that he couldn't (if he could have, he clearly would not have brought McKee within 100 yards of campus!).

Now, like you said, back to the original track. Our QB play will be improved, some due to experience, and some due to better situational play (I suspect). Being put in a position to succeed tends to do that. And since our QB play will be improved (count on it!), our OL play will also be improved in a year over year comparison. Again....count on it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom