NFL.com ranks every FBS qb situation. | The Boneyard

NFL.com ranks every FBS qb situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn came in at #70 on this list:

Starter/backup: Casey Cochran/Chandler Whitmer
Buzz: Cochran started the final four games last season and -- wonder of wonders -- actually proved to be a quarterback who could throw the ball with some accuracy (one of those hadn't been seen in a while on the UConn campus). Whitmer, who has started 16 games in the past two seasons, gives UConn an experienced backup, too. It's true: UConn's quarterback situation looks good for a change.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364811/article/ranking-every-fbs-qb-situation-nos-6170

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I really hope that Boyle can redshirt this year and be ready for 2015. If he can, that means that Cochran picked up where he left off last year and Whitmer has done enough to be a serviceable backup and be a leader off the field.

Reaction Score
This is exaxtly how I read the situation. If Cochran has a good season Boyle will never see the field for UConn. That is the downside, but I don't see it as a downside really. It means we have a quarterback.

Reaction Score
" It's true: UConn's quarterback situation looks good for a change."

And with that said we're 70th!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
" It's true: UConn's quarterback situation looks good for a change."

And with that said we're 70th!
We have been centurians for the past few seasons. Progress. :D

Reaction Score
I'm trying to temper my expectations but I can't help feeling Casey just has "it" and a QB with "it" and our recieving corps...Just need the line to give him time.

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to agree with you
I'm trying to temper my expectations but I can't help feeling Casey just has "it" and a QB with "it" and our recieving corps...Just need the line to give him time.
I agree with you. And I'm someone who had very little expectation for him based on what I had seen. But he just looked like he was in control over the last few games last year. What concerns me is that a new coach picks the quarterback on something other than actual performance. It is a mistake that even pretty good coaches make. Boyle has all the measurables, but Cochran has something else. I remember when Texas had Chris simms and Major Applewhite and despite Applewhite's superior performances, Mack Brown inexplicably kept going to Simms because he had a big name daddy and better "measurables".

Reaction Score
The only questions about Cochran are how well he can compete in practices against the QB depth we now have, and impress the new coaching staff, after getting now a third (or is it 4th) offensive coaching staff. Same questions about the other QB's really - no difference. They all have to do the same things to earn the starting job.

It seems hard to imagine that returning offensive players would not rally around Cochran though, given the way the end of last season went, so he should, in theory, have that going for him in camp as an advantage, leading up to the season, as the depth chart shakes out.

As far as the kid's ability to play, he's only played a couple of games, and started I think 4? and owns the top spot in some categories in the record books already. He threw in the books I think 11 TDs vs. 4 Int's and If I'm not mistaken, his first pass was a garbage INT against Buffalo that was a disaster of a play, and he threw a couple more INT's that were garbage plays - I think one was an end of half or something play against SMU. He was very productive in generating TD's vs. turnovers and that's essential from the QB's arm.

I've used this analogy many times before, and there are probably only a handful, if that many people around here reading and writing that actually can remember it, and know anything about it, but I look at Cochran and Boyle as something very much like we had in Benton and Degennarro way back when. Cochran isn't going to impress anyone physically and bring talent scouts flocking from the NFL to watch games, but he can play. Boyle is the guy that's going to make people look, but if things shake out the same way, Boyle will only get one full season as a starter, and impress the NFL scouts enough to move on, while Cochran makes his way right up next Degennarro and Orlovsky in the record books. The QB's that come in behind them, will hopefully begin to stack up the same kinds of ways.

The wildcard is Whitmer. It's not like he can't play. Should be interesting to see the QB situation shake out.

Reaction Score
By most accounts Cochran isn't a great practice player, and that's what worries me. We have all sorts of reasons that Boyle ought to be the choice. He is a quarterback out of central casting. Except that he wasn't as good as Cochran...and it wasn't close. An what worries me a little was a comment I heard from Diaco about the competition each played against...as if Boyle somehow gets a pass when didn't generate any offense against a horrible South Florida team, and Cochran didn't bring the team back from way behind in Philadelphia when by rights they could have and probably most teams would have quit. He never ever quit. I worry a new coach will ignore last year's on field performance, or at least discount it and get impressed with "measurables" and practice performance and not actual game performance.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
By most accounts Cochran isn't a great practice player, and that's what worries me. We have all sorts of reasons that Boyle ought to be the choice. He is a quarterback out of central casting. Except that he wasn't as good as Cochran...and it wasn't close. An what worries me a little was a comment I heard from Diaco about the competition each played against...as if Boyle somehow gets a pass when didn't generate any offense against a horrible South Florida team, and Cochran didn't bring the team back from way behind in Philadelphia when by rights they could have and probably most teams would have quit. He never ever quit. I worry a new coach will ignore last year's on field performance, or at least discount it and get impressed with "measurables" and practice performance and not actual game performance.
Just acknowledge that one of them played behind a competent line and the other didn't.

Reaction Score
Just acknowledge that one of them played behind a competent line and the other didn't.
Mike,
Guessing you're a Xavier grad;)...It wasn't close...not even in the same universe in terms of performance in a game. One was in command. One wasn't. Even when Cochran came in late in games, obviously the situation was different, but looking back, even in those situations the whole offense looked crisper, more confident. I admit I discounted that performance at the time, but looking back I shouldn't have because once he got the starting gig he showed the same control.

Reaction Score

I would find it absolutely earth shattering, if the coaching staff has not just looked at, but graded very closely, all of our returning players previous game film. I wouldn't put too much into Diaco's public statements he's made that I think you're referring to, and I understand point, based on some of the things that he's said publicly along the way. Diaco has had a clear message about where he is with the program, and all that, and part of that was that no player has earned anything, and that definitely includes the QB position. There is a big difference between the part of the schedule that Boyle played and that Cochran played, and for that matter what Whitmer played, and the coaching staff, and team dynamic that was happening while each was in that #1 role - but so what. You just got to trust that the coaches know what they're doing in evaluations.

If Cochran can't perform in practice enough to earn the starting job, then he'll just have to continue to work and put in what it takes to earn a spot, and either earn his spot later, or wait his turn for game time play to make it hard for the coaching staff to take him off the field like everybody else. Boyle, Whitmer - no different.

Reaction Score
Looking at last year's performance will have minimal impact in determining who the starting QB is this year. You have to understand that Diaco, Patterson, and Cummings are part of what we will realize is a great coaching staff: 1. they know what they are doing and 2. they already have a very detailed plan ready when practice begins - Given the coaches game plan, I'm sure that they have already determined what QB measurables (including what's between each QB's ears) are needed for the team game plan to succeed for our 2014 Huskies. There is an old adage - "The Cream Rises To The Top" - Patterson will make sure that each QB is rigorously put through a very detailed set of drills, game scenarios, and film sessions to see who distinguishes himself. What happened last year will have minimal influence on who starts at QB. What happens this August is key.

Reaction Score
Looking at last year's performance will have minimal impact in determining who the starting QB is this year. You have to understand that Diaco, Patterson, and Cummings are part of what we will realize is a great coaching staff: 1. they know what they are doing and 2. they already have a very detailed plan ready when practice begins - Given the coaches game plan, I'm sure that they have already determined what QB measurables (including what's between each QB's ears) are needed for the team game plan to succeed for our 2014 Huskies. There is an old adage - "The Cream Rises To The Top" - Patterson will make sure that each QB is rigorously put through a very detailed set of drills, game scenarios, and film sessions to see who distinguishes himself. What happened last year will have minimal influence on who starts at QB. What happens this August is key.

I agree with almost all of this - 99%. Just not the second to last sentence. I agree 100% with what you've said about the coaching. But I do think that how things played out last season matter, just from the player perspective though. As I said before, I think that Cochran goes into camp with an advantage, because he will go into the huddles in practice with confidence from other returning players on offense on the line, in the backfield and downfield, that had success with him at QB last season. How much of an advantage that is, will really be up to the coaching staff to determine on how they set up camp practices and who actually lines up with who taking snaps on O.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I might not have expressed myself correctly. Last year's play will help how Cochran performs in August. But what will determine who starts will only be determined by how each QB performs in August.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Mike,
Guessing you're a Xavier grad;)...It wasn't close...not even in the same universe in terms of performance in a game. One was in command. One wasn't. Even when Cochran came in late in games, obviously the situation was different, but looking back, even in those situations the whole offense looked crisper, more confident. I admit I discounted that performance at the time, but looking back I shouldn't have because once he got the starting gig he showed the same control.
Hehe nope. :)

We agree that's CC played the best, but Boyle had tougher circumstances. Not an excuse, he just did.

But if the coaches evaluate things and end up deciding Boyle runs what they want to run better... I won't knock them for it until it doesn't work out on the field. I think they both can play and it's a good problem to have.

Reaction Score
Drew Henson-Tom Brady, Chris Simms-Major Applewhite, those are example of situations where pretty big time head coaches either made silly decisions, bad decisions or wrong decisions about quarterbacks based on things other than on the field play. I worry that Diaco falls into the same trap.

Reaction Score
Drew Henson-Tom Brady, Chris Simms-Major Applewhite, those are example of situations where pretty big time head coaches either made silly decisions, bad decisions or wrong decisions about quarterbacks based on things other than on the field play. I worry that Diaco falls into the same trap.

Fair enough. FWIW: With regards to Diaco,and our upcoming season, I'm much more concerned with his ability to process game time information and make decisions as a head coach, than how the QB depth chart shakes out in fall camp in August.

Reaction Score
I might not have expressed myself correctly. Last year's play will help how Cochran performs in August. But what will determine who starts will only be determined by how each QB performs in August.

Amen - you can pretty much substitute any returning player's name and position into these 2 statements that pretty much sums up camp.

Reaction Score

As long as there have been sports, athletically challenged overachievers have had to continuously prove and re-prove themselves. Just ask our present MBB coach. It seemed like he was fighting off a new Point Guard every year. In the end, performance and substance usually win. Like Doug Sanders, the old pro golfer with the caddy-yard swing, once said, "It ain't how, it's how many."

Reaction Score
I am a Cochran fan, and really hope he gets the nod to start.. he earned it. This said, Boyle played agaisnt MUCH better competition than Cochran and with a HC and OL coach that just took over the reigns in the middle of it. Not diminsihing what Casey accomplished, but they weren't apples to apples situations they both stepped into. When you compare USF, @Cinci, @UCF, and Louisville against @SMU, @Temple, Rutgers, and Memphis. Top 3 of the conference vs. Bottom half of the conference. That is a big difference competition wise. Wesit and Foley also had 4 games under their belts to get comfortable and reshape the OL's schemes. Casey's timing was great, and he delivered above and beyond expectations. I'm just not going to be so hard on Boyle b/c his circumstances were much different than CC's. Both talented QB's IMO.

Reaction Score
I am a Cochran fan, and really hope he gets the nod to start.. he earned it. This said, Boyle played agaisnt MUCH better competition than Cochran and with a HC and OL coach that just took over the reigns in the middle of it. Not diminsihing what Casey accomplished, but they weren't apples to apples situations they both stepped into. When you compare USF, @Cinci, @UCF, and Louisville against @SMU, @Temple, Rutgers, and Memphis. Top 3 of the conference vs. Bottom half of the conference. That is a big difference competition wise. Wesit and Foley also had 4 games under their belts to get comfortable and reshape the OL's schemes. Casey's timing was great, and he delivered above and beyond expectations. I'm just not going to be so hard on Boyle b/c his circumstances were much different than CC's. Both talented QB's IMO.
I don't think you guys watched the games. That's all I'm saying. One guy palyed with confidence, moxie, skill that carried over to the rest of his teammates. One guy played with none of that. I actually could buy the argument that Boyle wasn't ready and should have redshirted more than the quality of the opposition. Putting the ball where it needs to go so only your guy can catch it , getting rid of the football quickly and accurately, knowing when to step up and whe to throw it into the cheap seats. those have nothing to do with who you played, and everything to do with who was playing. Cochran showed those talents every time he took the field, whether it was mop up duty or as a starter.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm feeling good about the quality of all three QBs. If I base my assessment on what I saw last year from each of them, I still think that Cochran and Whitmer are "neck and neck", with Boyle in third place. I know that would probably shock most people here (except for Carl, apparently). But I absolutely feel like Whitmer, if given more time in the pocket, is just as effective if not more so, than Cochran. Cochran is the "game management" QB, and Whitmer is the more versatile QB. I'd be happy with either one starting, and hopefully they can save Boyle's redshirt year so that we can get an extra year out of him at UConn in the future...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
I'm feeling good about the quality of all three QBs. If I base my assessment on what I saw last year from each of them, I still think that Cochran and Whitmer are "neck and neck", with Boyle in third place. I know that would probably shock most people here (except for Carl, apparently). But I absolutely feel like Whitmer, if given more time in the pocket, is just as effective if not more so, than Cochran. Cochran is the "game management" QB, and Whitmer is the more versatile QB. I'd be happy with either one starting, and hopefully they can save Boyle's redshirt year so that we can get an extra year out of him at UConn in the future...

When Casey threw for 461 yards or whatever he left "neck and neck" in his rear view. That game showed me everything I needed to know about Casey. Take all freescooter's spot on commentary about Casey's poise, accuracy and football savvy and then just throw a record setting performance on top of that and you have your starting QB. Don't get me wrong, I see why you think Chandler has lots of potential and I don't think you are nuts. However, Casey puts up big numbers and takes care of the ball. My biggest concern with Casey is that he was so good, he might not be able to keep it up. I just don't think Chandler has the innate ability Casey does to make the right decision almost every time. On top of that, Casey has the ball on a string.

Reaction Score
Wat
I don't think you guys watched the games. That's all I'm saying. One guy palyed with confidence, moxie, skill that carried over to the rest of his teammates. One guy played with none of that. I actually could buy the argument that Boyle wasn't ready and should have redshirted more than the quality of the opposition. Putting the ball where it needs to go so only your guy can catch it , getting rid of the football quickly and accurately, knowing when to step up and whe to throw it into the cheap seats. those have nothing to do with who you played, and everything to do with who was playing. Cochran showed those talents every time he took the field, whether it was mop up duty or as a starter.
Watched the games. Cochran looked great, much better than Boyle did in his 4 games played. So did the OL, so did the running game, so did the D, so did the game planning, so did the play calling, so did the entire team. Loved how we finished the season. The entire team was different when you compare how we did v USF v how we did v Memphis. That, IMO, was a combination of coaching, OL, and team confidence all growing in a huge way over that 8 game span. I think CC goes 1-3 in the games TB started, and TB goes 3-1 in the games CC started. Edge to Cochran. Happy with the direction he and the team are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom