Next Years Talent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next Years Talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We are going to have a very good team next year. I expect a preseason rank around 20, but the potential to crack the Top 10 if Brimah makes the jump I expect, Purvis is as advertised, Hamilton is an immediate contributor, and Facey or Nolan develop enough to play significant minutes at the 4.

Got to have Boatright though. I don't see this without him.

Reaction Score
There was a thick guy on the 94 Florida team as well, Dmitri Hill, that gave us fits much like the the fat guy on George Mason years later

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Suminod said:
There was a thick guy on the 94 Florida team as well, Dmitri Hill, that gave us fits much like the the fat guy on George Mason years later
Da meat hook . Still gives me cold sweats when I think of that load.

Reaction Score
My dad used to always talk about an injury to Donny Marshall or something, but I just can't find it. Perhaps he was rationalizing that loss away. Wouldn't be the first time...
Geez, thanks for making me feel old. Your dad!?!

I recall hearing that rumor too and I want to say it was allegedly a stress fracture in his foot or something. I was actually googling around like crazy today trying to find a box score from the with minutes played but couldn't find anything. He did score 10 pts and shot 3-7, so it wasn't nearly as bad as Donyell and Ray.

Reaction Score

I recall hearing that rumor too and I want to say it was allegedly a stress fracture in his foot or something. I was actually googling around like crazy today trying to find a box score from the with minutes played but couldn't find anything. He did score 10 pts and shot 3-7, so it wasn't nearly as bad as Donyell and Ray.
I watched it too, to be fair. It was just something he harped on for a long long time.

TKs

Reaction Score
I remember that 94 Florida game. It was played in Miami, Florida. Gators had a huge home crowd advantage.​

Reaction Score
UCONN 03-04, 05-06, & 08-09 teams say hello
14-15' could be top 5 all time deepest at the least if everyone is aboard imo
From an NBA talent standpoint I think you're overrating the 05-06 teams and the 08-09 teams. It has been a longstanding myth that the 05-06 team was ridiculously talented but in reality, only one guy had star NBA ability (Rudy). There was good depth but Denham and Rashad never made the league, Marcus struggled during several stints to stay in the league, Boone was out after one contract essentially and JA has worked his ass off to get back onto a roster.

As for 08-09, they had JA, Kemba and Price but Thabeet has been a bust, Stanley couldn't cut it, Dyson had a cup of coffee and Oriakhi is in the D League. Contrast that to next year's squad if Daniels returns, and you have Brimah, Hamilton and Daniels with very good NBA potential and 7 or 8 legit players to fill out the roster, including ridiculous quality depth at guard. If Nolan and Facey improve significantly, and Brimah develops the way he should it's not a stretch to say this is one of the most talented teams we've ever had.

Reaction Score
Who was on that Florida team in 1994? I know we'd like to think that 1994 Uconn team would destroy anyone these days, but did UF have guys that went onto the NBA? I did a quick search, but none of the names ring a bell. It sounds like Uconn was immensely talented, but fell to a senior laden team who was tough and experienced. Sounds familiar!

Just wanted to play devils advocate.
Their two biggest scorers were their guards, Cross and Brown. They both shot well from three and over 80% from the line. They got a lot of hype going into that game but we were much more talented overall. That was one game where we beat ourselves, with careless turnovers, Donyell's key free throw misses and just overall sloppy play down the stretch after leading by 10 at one point. I remember not being able to sleep the next two nights with images of a litany of bad plays running through my mind. It took 20 years but I'd say that loss was more than avenged this year!

Reaction Score

Marshall injured his leg in the FL game. He would not have been able to play against BC in the final eight game. It would have meant more playing time for Ray Allen. Not the worst backup plan. LOL

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
From an NBA talent standpoint I think you're overrating the 05-06 teams and the 08-09 teams. It has been a longstanding myth that the 05-06 team was ridiculously talented but in reality, only one guy had star NBA ability (Rudy). There was good depth but Denham and Rashad never made the league, Marcus struggled during several stints to stay in the league, Boone was out after one contract essentially and JA has worked his ass off to get back onto a roster.

As for 08-09, they had JA, Kemba and Price but Thabeet has been a bust, Stanley couldn't cut it, Dyson had a cup of coffee and Oriakhi is in the D League. Contrast that to next year's squad if Daniels returns, and you have Brimah, Hamilton and Daniels with very good NBA potential and 7 or 8 legit players to fill out the roster, including ridiculous quality depth at guard. If Nolan and Facey improve significantly, and Brimah develops the way he should it's not a stretch to say this is one of the most talented teams we've ever had.

I don't like the NBA tbh. Im basing it from an eye test standpoint.
Only time will tell where the 14-15 squad stands
Did say top 5 all time at the Least

Reaction Score

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I watched it too, to be fair. It was just something he harped on for a long long time.
It was a really ugly game. We opened up a 10-point lead in the second half and I remember thinking we were finally getting it together, but then we couldn't do anything right down the stretch, it seemed.
It would've been the worst Calhoun-era loss, but then '96 topped it. And then we won a whole bunch of titles, so it's all good.

Reaction Score
It was a really ugly game. We opened up a 10-point lead in the second half and I remember thinking we were finally getting it together, but then we couldn't do anything right down the stretch, it seemed.
It would've been the worst Calhoun-era loss, but then '96 topped it. And then we won a whole bunch of titles, so it's all good.

No way no how was 1996 Mississippi State worse over 1994 Florida. Than again it depends what you mean by worse loss. It was obvious 10 minutes into the game we were going to lose to Mississippi State. We fell down 16 points. We trailed by 15 in the 2nd half. Ray Allen was firing bricks. Ricky Moore not healthy. We were toast early and had ample warning that a loss was coming. The results from that season ended up being vacated. Sucked at the time but you had warning right away in the game it was coming and it means nothing now seeing 1996 was vacated. No harm no foul.

1994 Florida was a total choke job that left your stomach in knots and came completely suddenly and out of no where. I was 13 at the time and I still remember how upset my father was at the end of that game. It could be argued to have been an even more stomach turning loss than George Mason. Certainly on the same level.

Here are some of the gory details if you need a reminder:

"MIAMI — When top-seeded North Carolina tumbled in the second round, the East Regional was Connecticut's to lose.

And that's exactly what the second-seeded Huskies did Friday night, dropping a 69-60 overtime thriller to third-seeded Florida in Miami Arena."

"UConn led by 10 with 14:25 left but then went cold from the field."

"Connecticut's hope of reaching the Final Four came to a sudden, boisterous and bitter end tonight when the Huskies lost a 10-point second-half lead, Donyell Marshall missed two foul shots with 3.4 seconds left in regulation and the Florida Gators took firm control of an emotional 69-60 overtime victory.

"The Gators, 28-7, prevented Connecticut from reaching the final eight for a second time in five years by holding the Huskies to 3 points in the final 7 minutes 36 seconds of the second half and overtime.

"The Huskies, who made 38 percent of their 3-point shots this season, made just 2 of 17 (12 percent) from behind the line, which allowed the Gators the luxury of double-teaming Marshall.

"The talented Huskies looked as if they would blow the Gators all the way back to Gainesville in the early going. UConn scored 22 points in the first 9 minutes of the game, but it could manage only 38 in the remaining 36 minutes."

"Connecticut committed 23 turnovers and scored just 26 points in the second half and overtime."

"With the noisy pro-Gator crowd of 15,217 roaring, the first foul shot by Marshall, a 75.8-percent free-throw shooter, spun around the rim and came out. After a Florida timeout, his second missed also. "It hit the back rim," Marshall remembered. "It hit the front rim. It was halfway down and came back up."

As bad as the above sounds it was even worse to watch it unfold. And for it to come 4 years after the heart breaking Laettner shot? There was some Curse of the Bambino talk around the program that didn't end until 1999.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Hilty is still feeding from the trough too. Not that it takes away from your point.

caw

Reaction Score
I hear ya...that's why these last two titles have been so special in my opinion. Maybe not the best team overall talent wise but when the tourney came thy turned it on and stepped up big time! That's what a PROGRAM does. And that is what we is....life is good.

The 2011 did not lack for talent. It was young but pretty darn talented, I mean:

Lottery picks:
Kemba
Lamb

First rounders, not lottery:
Napier - maybe he slips to second round, but he became an All-American so you can't say he wasn't talented.

Second rounders:
Oriakhi - he left, but he was drafted
Smith - may slip out but he was a top 5ish rebounder this year, again talented or sure.

Others:
Giffey - maybe he gets a look by NBA with a good PI, shot 48 percent from three.

2011 had talent, just a lot of it was very young, sure maybe not as talented as some other UConn teams, but very good talent.

Next year, if everyone is back could be a very good year if things click. I don't think Boat can sustain that level of defense for 40 games but as long as UConn make the NCAAT you know he will play lock down d while UConn is there.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
No way no how was 1996 Mississippi State worse over 1994 Florida. ...
As bad as the above sounds it was even worse to watch it unfold. And for it to come 4 years after the heart breaking Laettner shot? There was some Curse of the Bambino talk around the program that didn't end until 1999.
As a game? Sure, you could say Florida was worse, but it's not as clear cut as you make it sound. Mississippi State was stomach-churning itself.
But the point is that by '96 there had been two more years of that Curse of the Bambino talk. It was our third straight year of regular-season domination and postseason crashes. It looked like it would never happen.
Add to that the knowledge that Ray, Doron, and nearly ever contributor from that team was leaving, and no advance knowledge of how great the Rip-Freeman class would be, and it looked like the end of the world.

Reaction Score

First of all, this is college talent we're actually discussing here. And that 2005-2006 team had ridiculous talent and would have been untouchable had AJ Price not ended up missing the year. Their only real problem was a lack of ball handling. The NCAA tournament is about guard play and UConn effectively only had one - Marcus Williams. Who, by the way, was a farking unbelievably talent college player. The fact he was a bust in the NBA is irrelevant. Nobody past, present, or future could touch Marcus Williams for traditional point guard skills. Throughout that tournament, he was BY FAR the best player on the team.

The really ironic thing is you then go on to talk about Daniels, Hamilton, and Brimah's "NBA potential" when that is exactly what all the guys you discount had - Dyson, Robertson, Armstrong, Boone, etc. There is no guarantee whatsoever that ANY of them ever amount to anything in the NBA.

But when you talk about college talent and ability, the 2005-06 team was stacked. As were the 2003-04 and 2008-09 teams.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
First of all, this is college talent we're actually discussing here. And that 2005-2006 team had ridiculous talent and would have been untouchable had AJ Price not ended up missing the year. Their only real problem was a lack of ball handling. The NCAA tournament is about guard play and UConn effectively only had one - Marcus Williams. Who, by the way, was a farking unbelievably talent college player. The fact he was a bust in the NBA is irrelevant. Nobody past, present, or future could touch Marcus Williams for traditional point guard skills. Throughout that tournament, he was BY FAR the best player on the team.

The really ironic thing is you then go on to talk about Daniels, Hamilton, and Brimah's "NBA potential" when that is exactly what all the guys you discount had - Dyson, Robertson, Armstrong, Boone, etc. There is no guarantee whatsoever that ANY of them ever amount to anything in the NBA.

But when you talk about college talent and ability, the 2005-06 team was stacked. As were the 2003-04 and 2008-09 teams.

Preach!

Reaction Score
96 never happened, it was vacated, so losing was the best thing that happened.

taking down our first final four banner would have been beyond awful

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
96 never happened, it was vacated, so losing was the best thing that happened.

taking down our first final four banner would have been beyond awful
This is certainly true. Didn't know it at the time, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom