Next Seasons GREAT Unknown | The Boneyard

Next Seasons GREAT Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The "KEY" to next years success will have a lot to do with Natalie Butler. Will she become that which Geno had hoped when he took her? Right now - she is not at that stage. But, over the coming months, I expect Geno and the coaches to use all in their creative power to get her ready for PRIME-TIME next season. She must get quicker, more mentally secure, and ready to exert an intimidating powerful physical presence on the floor. I, for one, am hoping she rises to the occasion, if not, next year could be a little disappointing to the fans.

Reaction Score
Do the coaches have almost two years into working with her already? Watching her now - I don't see there is enough to work with. Love to be wrong.

Naphessa and Gabby as best rebounders / post players while hoping for another year with Morgan.

I look forward to tighter games. DePaul v Louisville was exciting! Most of this year's games are more an often glorious dance than athletic competition - more about enjoying excellent individual and team play without the adrenaline.

Also seems to me from recent rotations that Kia is the second point guard - and that her play will be the standard for Crystal to exceed to become a starter. Saniya in three years hasn't gotten there.

Reaction Score
Learning basic post moves, like a drop step to the right or left, would be a start. However, pinning the team's success on one player's development runs counter to the entire UConn approach (IMHO).

Reaction Score
While I certainly hope that she will be a major contributing player next year, I find it hard to understand how a whole year as a red-shirt hasn't benefited her more. With all the hype she had from her freshman year in the Big East I thought after a full year practicing with UConn and receiving the best coaching in the world that she would be much more advanced than what I've seen in her limited minutes. But, hope springs eternal.
Wish her nothing but the best.

Reaction Score
The "KEY" to next years success will have a lot to do with Natalie Butler...
Agree in hoping that Nat becomes a valuable part of next year's team makeup. However, as I've watched our games this year, and especially the past two months, I've noticed something that we will be loosing and that I am quite anxious about our need to replace with the departure of Stewie, Mo, and possibly Morgan. That is their collective instantaneous, lighting quick, powerful, and pinpoint assist passing. Without a whole lot of fanfare, their crisp passing has been an integral part of our success this year. In my mind, this is also a great unknown, because when the big 3 leave, they'll likely be taking their passing with them.

Kia has been schooled and is getting better. Lou, Saniya, Court, Gabby, Nat, and Phee, ...so far ...not so much ...not yet anyway. Losing Mo's Generalship, and Stewie's Stewieship is going to be a HUGE loss for next year's team. I think Kia, Lou, Gabby, and Phee will start. They are quick, explosive, and UConn ready, but without Stewie and Mo, and possibly Morgan, the "passing power" could well be the X factor, and especially if Nat doesn't evolve into a major presence in the post.

We have a lot of potential for next year, I just hope our youngster's passing moves from average D1 level to UConn 2015/2016 level by next November.

Last edited:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I am almost positive I will go into cardiac arrest at least 5 or 6 times next season; if not more. We will take our lumps but I still expect them to be a pretty good team. Young... but pretty good. I wouldn't mind at all if we had a season similar to the one Louisville is having... again, young but good.

Reaction Score
I am almost positive I will go into cardiac arrest at least 5 or 6 times next season; if not more...
Well, I'm hopeful that you won't, but it is reassuring for me to know that my thread titles are't the only catalysts for your boneyard heart condition. :eek: :rolleyes:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have been at a level over the past few years that no team in their right mind could dream of. Next season will be next season. A lot of inexperience, a lack of upper classman leadership and a nucleus that is young. Still we have the talent. I will say it again. Butler has the skills to be something special. She needs tutoring on the court in the areas she lacks. Next season we are big and quick with great ball handlers. We need our guards to step up big time. Guards are a big key. This team will develop over the summer and next season. We will need to be patient and not look ahead because with this talent along can happen.....and a lot might not happen as quickly as we like.

Reaction Score
You're wrong about Katie Lou. She is already an excellent passer. The key will be everyone stepping up: Katie Lou, Kia, Gabby, Napheesa, Natalie, Crystal, Kyla, Molly, Saniya, and Courtney. They will not win without everyone contributing next year. The bench will need to be deep. Crystal, Kyla and Molly will need to play important minutes if UConn wants to get to the Final Four.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's the Big Unknown:

UConnECU-15.jpg

Reaction Score
Oh no! the possibility of maybe not winning a national championship. The horror....!!!!
hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom