Next - I've seen enough of Cochran | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Next - I've seen enough of Cochran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
So, just to recap, we have threads that are criticizing the coach for playing two QBs and threads about replacing the QB after 1 quarter. Got it.
Yep. When the coach says he will play 2 QB' s and the first one turns the ball over in BYU territory and over throws multiple open receivers it's next. If the coach had said Casey won the job and was the best QB out of camp I probably wouldn't have said that but obviously there wasn't a big enough gap between the two to the trained eyes of the UConn coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the local hero turn the ball over in BYU territory with an overthrow of about 5 feet in air??

If that was Whitmer there would be a 10 page post about it.

This board on a whole is no better than the CT HS FB coaches - blue shades on when the local kids can't get the job done.
Speaking of Boyle ...

Reaction Score
Casey is a better QB overall, and he was better Friday. On the pick, he got hit by 2 defenders (1 of which he had to throw over).

This isn't even close. On the drive where CC took us down the field, and CW came in in the red zone, it was a complete stall. CW had a couple good moments in the game, and is a decent QB, but Casey is better.

This is a really stupid thread.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Casey is a better QB overall, and he was better Friday. On the pick, he got hit by 2 defenders (1 of which he had to throw over).

This isn't even close. On the drive where CC took us down the field, and CW came in in the red zone, it was a complete stall. CW had a couple good moments in the game, and is a decent QB, but Casey is better.

This is a really stupid thread.

Rarely, if ever, has the name of the thread and its poster been a more perfect match...

Reaction Score
We are building for future and Whitmer is at best equal to Casey. Go with Casey unless he is playing terrible after a half or is injured stick with him as Casey has lot of positive intangibles and seems like a guy who his teammates will rally around him.

Reaction Score
Since all of us are QB experts you might not want to hear that when I asked the Dad of a receiver what he thought of the dual QB system he started his answer by saying he thought Whitmer was the better QB during the game.
Let's see what happens next week. I'm for trusting the coaches on this one.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
Since all of us are QB experts you might not want to hear that when I asked the Dad of a receiver what he thought of the dual QB system he started his answer by saying he thought Whitmer was the better QB during the game. Let's see what happens next week. I'm for trusting the coaches on this one.

Did his son catch a pass or two from Whitmer and none from Casey? That would explain it. Nobody could possibly think Whitmer is better at this point. It's not debatable any longer. Give Casey the time to become a good QB. He has played 5-6 games and he's still young. I think he'll be very good in due time.

I can't even believe how many people not only prefer Whitmer but then talk about Boyle as the future. They act like Casey has no real potential but to get us to the day we unleash Tim on college football. Tim is a big, prototypical QB but he's only one year younger than Casey. I'm not banking on Tim being Joe Montana, let alone being worlds better than Casey, based on the small sample we have to go on. My hope is that Casey gives us 2-3 good seasons and becomes a great QB. I also hope that if and when Tim surpasses Casey, that the best QB plays. As of today, I am questioning how we can possibly be debating who our best QB is when it is so obvious.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Whitmer may be the better thrower, and is certainly more mobile. Unfortunately, he continues to fail in the mental aspects of the position and overreacts to pressure by running around like a chicken with his head cut off. CC stands in the pocket, takes the hit and delivers the ball, sometimes accurately, sometimes not. Look, I have to hope the Boyle is the most talented of the three, but isn't ready. If we had a great pass blocking OL, then maybe Whitmer would be the choice, but his pocket presence is awful, even if he can throw when given time. He's a deer in the headlights, and BYU knew it and blitzed him when he came in. CC had one INT, which was a bad one, and Whitmer already proved that he's an INT machine. I'm not giving him a pass for not throwing one in limited time in this game. I wish Whitmer averaged just one INT a game last year.

Reaction Score
Since all of us are QB experts you might not want to hear that when I asked the Dad of a receiver what he thought of the dual QB system he started his answer by saying he thought Whitmer was the better QB during the game.
Let's see what happens next week. I'm for trusting the coaches on this one.

With all due respect to the parent, their opinion is as meaningful and insightful as any of ours. And the majority here think we should go with Cochran.

Ultimately it means as much as a bag of magic beans because Diaco, Cummings, and Patterson will make that call.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the local hero turn the ball over in BYU territory with an overthrow of about 5 feet in air??

If that was Whitmer there would be a 10 page post about it.

This board on a whole is no better than the CT HS FB coaches - blue shades on when the local kids can't get the job done.

Instead we have 10 threads of two pages each discussing the same BS. One of which, started by you. Cochran is the starting QB. Can't what he did to end last season. Whitmer couldn't even do it against Towson last season. Next... more like next game. Move on. Let it go. Enough already.

Reaction Score
Yep. When the coach says he will play 2 QB' s and the first one turns the ball over in BYU territory and over throws multiple open receivers it's next. If the coach had said Casey won the job and was the best QB out of camp I probably wouldn't have said that but obviously there wasn't a big enough gap between the two to the trained eyes of the UConn coaching staff.

Are you afraid to tell us how many times Whitmer bailed from the formed pocket early when he had enough time to deliver only to go nowhere? On the other hand Casey hung in there a couple of times only to get pummeled, one time delivering a splendid 3rd down conversion. One stay in the fox hole and has 3 more years the other tries to get out ……. I want the guy who hangs around during the attack!

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Instead we have 10 threads of two pages each discussing the same BS. One of which, started by you. Cochran is the starting QB. Can't what he did to end last season. Whitmer couldn't even do it against Towson last season. Next... more like next game. Move on. Let it go. Enough already.

Yes- he is the starter in a 51/49 usage formula created by the coaching staff. My original post was made during the game ater watching the overthrows. If you didnt see the overthrows and the miss on open Foxx (whether he would of caught it we dont know) and the pic in the Red Zone - we are seeing 2 different things.

Townson last year - you aint comparing Apples to Apples - Townson was much better than Memphis and Rutgers last year as a team, and specifically as a defense against the pass. Plus the change in coaching, including O line after Whitmer was replaced. We will agree to disagree on that as well I assume.

I guess the parent of a reciever of was awarded a D1 scholly doesnt know a rats ass about football either, just like the rest of us - and maybe his son caught a couple from Whitmer and none from Casey, thats possible - Whitmer threw strikes but as many poster has insinuated pocket pressence is much more important than being accurate.

another poster wrote -
'Casey is a better QB overall, and he was better Friday. On the pick, he got hit by 2 defenders (1 of which he had to throw over). '
Where was his pocket pressence on this one? Why not throw it away as opposed to overthrowing to a DB - it was a horrible pass - it was what it was.

Wear the blue shades and carry on.

GO TEAM!!

Bonehead

Reaction Score
If you think Whitmer is a better QB then you are as clueless as they come. The talent level is not close and neither are the results on the field.

Yep - me and Diaco and the rest of the staff is clueless - if wasnt that close why declare the 51/49?

I dont know who is better but there was a 51/49 split by coaching staff which means they are closer than what you might want to believe and I posted during the game after Caseys drives - it was NEXT - Whitmers turn.

Keep bringing the insults everyone, I am 40!! - I love it!!- wont change what I saw on Friday night!!

GO TEAM!!

Reaction Score
Yep - me and Diaco and the rest of the staff is clueless - if wasnt that close why declare the 51/49?

I dont know who is better but there was a 51/49 split by coaching staff which means they are closer than what you might want to believe and I posted during the game after Caseys drives - it was NEXT - Whitmers turn.

Keep bringing the insults everyone, I am 40!! - I love it!!- wont change what I saw on Friday night!!

GO TEAM!!

I'm curious if you've read Callahan's breakdown of the QB play for both kids? What he wrote about it (and displayed visual evidence for) is exactly what a lot of us saw Friday night and have been posting about for days now. I think you're in the clear minority of Whitmer supporters. Even Diaco is starting to back track and hedge his bets about the red zone nonsense.

And no, it's disingenuous to now say that the only thing you meant was that it was Whitmer's turn NEXT. The title of the thread says it all - you've seen enough of Cochran. Based on a few select throws. By the second half you were waffling and back peddling like a champ.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
And no, it's disingenuous to now say that the only thing you meant was that it was Whitmer's turn NEXT. The title of the thread says it all - you've seen enough of Cochran. Based on a few select throws. By the second half you were waffling and back peddling like a champ.

Believe what you want - the posts were made during the game - I had seen enough of Cochran in the first half - NEXT. I didnt come up with pull the qb - the coach said it was a 2 headed QB - and I did point out his improvement in the second half drive out of halftime - its called being honest - you want to call it waffling go ahead.

I wasnt pushing any agenda - I called it the way I saw it. If Whitmer started instead of Casey and he played like that - well you get where I am going.

I just read the Callahan piece - thanks.

Reaction Score
So after rewatching the tape several times, a few stats to add in our opinions that might give clarity to why everyone thinks you are so clearly on the wrong side of this argument, Mr. Bonehead.

Cochran - 17/31 and took 1 sack. Had excellent footwork often stepping around defenders and keeping his eyes downfield. Missed a couple throws, also threw an interception where he was getting laid out by a blitzer, which forced the throw early/high. So, 1/32 sack rate or 3%

Whitmer - 8/17 and took 4 sacks(and ran once for 1 yard). He constantly dropped his vision often with little pressure around him, scrambled INTO rather than out of trouble, and on the one run he decided to take off, somehow managed to run directly into a LB in the open field and got hammered despite having running lanes to either side. So that is 23% of snaps he doesn't get a pass off, or create anything with his legs.

It was just not close from either a stats point of view or a "eye-test" point of view.

I'm sure he looks good throwing the ball around in shorts. In the games, he's not the guy.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
So after rewatching the tape several times, a few stats to add in our opinions that might give clarity to why everyone thinks you are so clearly on the wrong side of this argument, Mr. Bonehead.

Cochran - 17/31 and took 1 sack. Had excellent footwork often stepping around defenders and keeping his eyes downfield. Missed a couple throws, also threw an interception where he was getting laid out by a blitzer, which forced the throw early/high. So, 1/32 sack rate or 3%

Whitmer - 8/17 and took 4 sacks(and ran once for 1 yard). He constantly dropped his vision often with little pressure around him, scrambled INTO rather than out of trouble, and on the one run he decided to take off, somehow managed to run directly into a LB in the open field and got hammered despite having running lanes to either side. So that is 23% of snaps he doesn't get a pass off, or create anything with his legs.

It was just not close from either a stats point of view or a "eye-test" point of view.

I'm sure he looks good throwing the ball around in shorts. In the games, he's not the guy.
Thank you for the MR :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That's the truth. But that doesn't mean Whitmer wasn't the better QB tonight. What if Chandler threw that pick? My lord he would be toast. Whatever chance for a win after the fumble was lost on that play.

Like the Mannings, Brady, Elway, etc., etc. etc. ad nauseum never threw a critical pick. Geez. Cochran is the better QB. Is he the best QB ever? No. But as between him and happy feet, take the steadier one and don't take him out when he's hot.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I'm curious if you've read Callahan's breakdown of the QB play for both kids? What he wrote about it (and displayed visual evidence for) is exactly what a lot of us saw Friday night and have been posting about for days now. I think you're in the clear minority of Whitmer supporters. Even Diaco is starting to back track and hedge his bets about the red zone nonsense.

Callahan words seem very similar to my words -

"Over his entire night, Cochran did miss high on a handful of throws, including two critical passes that ended in an interception and denied Geremy Davis an easy big gain. Whitmer, on the other hand, dropped the finest dime of the night to Davis good for 37 yards with minutes to go."

Fair and balanced reporting-

"Cochran must receive the majority of snaps going forward--if not all of them. He exhibits better pocket presence, is less of a turnover risk and proved last season he possesses better intermediate accuracy than what was showcased Friday."

so he agreed with me that Cochran wasnt accurate on Friday night - he thinks Cochran is the better option moving forward.

Reaction Score
Callahan words seem very similar to my words -

"Over his entire night, Cochran did miss high on a handful of throws, including two critical passes that ended in an interception and denied Geremy Davis an easy big gain. Whitmer, on the other hand, dropped the finest dime of the night to Davis good for 37 yards with minutes to go."

Fair and balanced reporting-

"Cochran must receive the majority of snaps going forward--if not all of them. He exhibits better pocket presence, is less of a turnover risk and proved last season he possesses better intermediate accuracy than what was showcased Friday."

so he agreed with me that Cochran wasnt accurate on Friday night - he thinks Cochran is the better option moving forward.

This is a bizarre post. Callahan disagrees with you and agrees with the rest of us. Nobody is disputing that Casey missed some throws on Friday. Gee whiz.

Maybe the lesson for you is less in game emotionally charged posting based on knee jerk reactions.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
This is a bizarre post. Callahan disagrees with you and agrees with the rest of us. Nobody is disputing that Casey missed some throws on Friday. Gee whiz.

Maybe the lesson for you is less in game emotionally charged posting based on knee jerk reactions.

Not that bizarre - my initial post was 'couldnt hit broad side of barn'

Callahn - 'Cochran did miss high on a handful of throws, including two critical passes that ended in an interception and denied Geremy Davis an easy big gain.'

He likes his pocket pressence - I like accuracy. At the time of my initial post Casey was NOT accurate.

Thanks for the advice though.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Whitmer is a senior. Cochran is a RS sophomore. We have 3 years to go with Casey as our QB1. In my opinion, if both QB's are essentially "tied" for the spot, it goes to the younger guy - especially if he has 3 years to play.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Woody Hayes is the guy most attribute with the comment "three things can happen when you throw a pass and two of them are bad." He wasn't just talking about midget football. Anyone who watches a QB throw by throw will find those stretches when even the best can't hit the broadside of a barn, too high, too low. The same thing happens to great baseball pitchers. To dwell on every throw by a college QB is a waste of time. Take a look back and see that Cochran showed something last year that he can build on, and accept that there will picks, overthrows, underthrows, whatever. The pass he threw that was intercepted was the correct pass to a pretty open receiver and he overthrew. If he had been forcing a pass into a covered receiver, it's a whole different decision making thing, which this wasn't.

Reaction Score
Bonehead, I have to say you are wronge on this one. CC has 3 years to develop and does hang in the pocket and is willing to take a hit to deliver the ball where it needs to go. I believe we have given Whitmer had his fair opportunity and he did not deliver. If his primary receiver is not open he tends to drop his head and bail out of pocket way to soon often running into sacks. He may be a little more accurate but CC will get better with some additional playing time which he needs to get playing full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom