New York City | The Boneyard

New York City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sitting here watching the Yankees post game show sponsored by Syracuse. Look at my NYY program with successive pages from the ACC and Big Ten.
What perfect timing we have here in our most dire time of need. Run a simple ad. Uconn, the tri state area's national champion. We actually have an accomplishment to market.
The first stage of grief for the pretenders would be shame. How could they run their ads against that? Then just maybe the second stage would be, you know what? It would be real nice to call that our own.
I'm sorry, I am still seeing the Bahamas strategy employed by our administration.
BTW, it is a crime if we are not scheduling games at MSG every single year. Don't count Duke this year, go to ticketmaster. It is a Duke home game, that's why it is in NJ.
If we can't market ourselves in NY now.....

Reaction Score
I went to Philly for the weekend and am thoroughly depressed. To see the Rutgers billboard with an emphasis on Big academics and athletics was tough.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I went to Philly for the weekend and am thoroughly depressed. To see the Rutgers billboard with an emphasis on Big academics and athletics was tough.
Where was the billboard? I've been done there a lot lately and I haven't seen it.

Reaction Score
Where was the billboard? I've been done there a lot lately and I haven't seen it.
There are at least 5 up and down the NJT including near the Meadowlands and as far south as the PA border (I had to drive this 4 times in the last 6 week including the NB route yesterday). Also saw at least 2 billboards on 1 and 9.

Advertising costs money. Sponsorship costs money. Uconn FB is not appealing to the NYC/NJ eye right now so is that good money to spend? RU and SU have the money and they need to deliver for their new conferences so they will spend. They are in a fight for that market. Let them spend their new found money on that if they want.

For BB, when Uconn plays in NYC, fans get there. Probably most come from CT but will advertising pay that? More than playing the games there annually on made for TV events?

Reaction Score
I was in Baltimore this weekend and I saw them as well. I think the billboard is near Kearney or just south of there. One thing that was definitely reinforced to me during my trip down and my trip home...it is a LONG ride through NJ even without traffic. Delany was after tv sets and $$...no way CT can compete with NJ for tv sets. The fee the B1G network will have to charge in CT is going to be high (at least what SNY gets, if not a little more), then have added to it an increased fee in NYC market and hopefully a fee from the Providence and Boston markets to make it work $$ wise. I am confident that we will be ok in the end...but I have gone to a glass half full guy. You can only get kicked in the teeth so many times.

Reaction Score
There are at least 5 up and down the NJT including near the Meadowlands and as far south as the PA border (I had to drive this 4 times in the last 6 week including the NB route yesterday). Also saw at least 2 billboards on 1 and 9.

Advertising costs money. Sponsorship costs money. Uconn FB is not appealing to the NYC/NJ eye right now so is that good money to spend? RU and SU have the money and they need to deliver for their new conferences so they will spend. They are in a fight for that market. Let them spend their new found money on that if they want.

For BB, when Uconn plays in NYC, fans get there. Probably most come from CT but will advertising pay that? More than playing the games there annually on made for TV events?
Syracuse needs to do anything just to keep their brand alive in NYC in my opinion. They have faded fast there over the past 5 years. Unless you ask their fans...LOL...but then again according to them Rochester is the 6th borough of NYC.

Reaction Score

Off the Jersey Turnpike, kind of hidden around the Rutgers exit. I happened to be looking left going south and caught a glimpse.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If there isn't a UCONN banner draped over that obnoxious Syracuse College Team ad at our Army game, then I will be very disappointed.

Reaction Score
I don't see how a private school several hours away near Canada can be called NYC's team. Syracuse isn't even the closest ACC school to NYC --- Boston College is closer!

UConn is within a stones throw of the NYC market.

The B1G has 3 teams closer to NYC than Syracuse --- three!..................Rutgers (which is part of the NYC market), Maryland, and Penn State are all geographically closer to NYC than Syracuse. Even if Syracuse was a large land-grant institution, it would be difficult at best to say Syracuse is NYC's team. The fact that it is a private school several hours away near the Canadian border means its nearly impossible to actually be labeled NYC's team.

If UConn ever becomes part of the Power 5, that would mean there would be five Power 5 schools geographically closer to NYC than Syracuse: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, UConn and Boston College.

Reaction Score
I don't see how a private school several hours away near Canada can be called NYC's team. Syracuse isn't even the closest ACC school to NYC --- Boston College is closer!

The B1G has 3 teams closer to NYC than Syracuse --- three!...Rutgers (which is part of the NYC market), Maryland, and Penn State are all geographically closer to NYC than Syracuse. Even if Syracuse was a large land-grant institution, it would be difficult at best to say Syracuse is NYC's team. The fact that it is a private school several hours away near the Canadian border means its nearly impossible to actually be labeled NYC's team.

If UConn ever becomes part of the Power 5, that would mean there would be five Power 5 schools geographically closer to NYC than Syracuse: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, UConn and Boston College.

I don't buy this. Syracuse doesn't own NYC, but most of the students there come from NYC, LI, NJ. That gives a huge presence there.

In the same way, PSU is the school of Philadelphia and the entire area, even though Rutgers, Maryland, Temple are all closer to Philly than PSU is. Now, Syracuse is definitely not NYC's team, but you could easily make a case that it has more traction in NYC than the other teams mentioned. I don't see any incentive for Mike Tranghese to say what he did about Syracuse a few years ago, and he said that the two schools that moved the meter in NYC were UConn and Syracuse.

Reaction Score
The marketing of UConn as New England's team must begin in earnest. Now may not be the time to emphasize our football team, or even our men's team but our women's program is phenomenal, a genuine curiosity. In some ways Auriemma and squad is like the circus coming to town and it should be marketed that way. Schedule games in Providence and Boston, radio ads, maybe a bulletin board or two. The purpose wouldn't be to convince people to become fans of the sport and any conversions would merely be a side benefit. The real objective would be to associate the university with something so good it transcends the sport itself, remind people in the region what they've got right in their own backyard, get people in Massachusetts and Rhode Island thinking about something in Connecticut, get southern New England identifying with us.

Reaction Score

The B1G has 3 teams closer to NYC than Syracuse --- three!...Rutgers (which is part of the NYC market), Maryland, and Penn State are all geographically closer to NYC than Syracuse. Even if Syracuse was a large land-grant institution, it would be difficult at best to say Syracuse is NYC's team. The fact that it is a private school several hours away near the Canadian border means its nearly impossible to actually be labeled NYC's team.

Apparently, you have never seen one of the signs.....It's New York's College team...No where does is say NYC...Syracuse is the only BCS program within New York State which is why they can create such a slogan...Also, have to agree with upstate that Cuse & Uconn generate the most interest in NYC but for basketball...The garden was crazy for some of those games..

Reaction Score
Apparently, you have never seen one of the signs.....It's New York's College team...No where does is say NYC...Syracuse is the only BCS program within New York State which is why they can create such a slogan...Also, have to agree with upstate that Cuse & Uconn generate the most interest in NYC but for basketball...The garden was crazy for some of those games..

All I mentioned was NYC, but even in NYC, interest in college sports is minimal. In terms of upstate, I have lived all over upstate, and I don't see the fervor for Syracuse outside CNY. It's definitely not here in Buffalo though there was a little more of it in Rochester. By the way, SUNY-Buffalo is claiming that it is the New York state school. And that claim has about as much draw as Syracuse's claim. Not much.

Reaction Score
I somehwhat agree with your take on upstate NY but there are a bunch of SUNY state schools none of which play any major D1 sports? If you asked an out of state person the major college in NY they would most likely say Syracuse and not Buffalo or Oswego etc... As I stated above it was a marketing strategy to show other confernces and try to gather support from entire state of NY.. Most of the larger states have multiple BCS teams (ie CA, TX, FL etc...) while NY only has 1...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I somehwhat agree with your take on upstate NY but there are a bunch of SUNY state schools none of which play any major D1 sports? If you asked an out of state person the major college in NY they would most likely say Syracuse and not Buffalo or Oswego etc... As I stated above it was a marketing strategy to show other confernces and try to gather support from entire state of NY.. Most of the larger states have multiple BCS teams (ie CA, TX, FL etc...) while NY only has 1...

If I asked someone about the major college in New York, and they didn't say Columbia, NYU or Cornell, I would nod my head and move on.

Reaction Score
The marketing of UConn as New England's team must begin in earnest. Now may not be the time to emphasize our football team, or even our men's team but our women's program is phenomenal, a genuine curiosity. In some ways Auriemma and squad is like the circus coming to town and it should be marketed that way. Schedule games in Providence and Boston, radio ads, maybe a bulletin board or two. The purpose wouldn't be to convince people to become fans of the sport and any conversions would merely be a side benefit. The real objective would be to associate the university with something so good it transcends the sport itself, remind people in the region what they've got right in their own backyard, get people in Massachusetts and Rhode Island thinking about something in Connecticut, get southern New England identifying with us.

It's a nice idea, but I think it will be difficult. Massachusetts, particularly the Boston area, is one of the most arrogant, insular, myopic areas of the country. Anything "outsider" is met with skepticism. And there isn't a whole lot of respect for Connecticut as a legitimate member of New England (which most of these people think extends no farther than the reach of the MBTA commuter rail), nevermind as its flagship representative.

Reaction Score
It's a nice idea, but I think it will be difficult. Massachusetts, particularly the Boston area, is one of the most arrogant, insular, myopic areas of the country. Anything "outsider" is met with skepticism. And there isn't a whole lot of respect for Connecticut as a legitimate member of New England (which most of these people think extends no farther than the reach of the MBTA commuter rail), nevermind as its flagship representative.
Have to agree. And add in the money the state is putting into Umass athletics, there would not be a whole lot of upper level support. The only part of MA that Uconn wants is Boston, maybe Worcester, in terms of total eyeballs. And Uconn FB is not going to get more air than any other CFB program gets already (<1%). Boston sports media would rather relive the Manny Ramirez days in November than talk about college FB. And in January, the NC game gets about 30 minutes because the Pats and their playoff run is way more important. The only college event that gets coverage outside of picking brackets and the occasional coach interview if a NE team is making an NCAA run is the Beanpot. And that is only 2 Mondays in February.

The issue in RI is even bigger with Providence enjoying a virtual monopoly on media coverage from 3 TV stations and 2 newspapers. I know its not FB, but every other sport is is PU and URI.

UConn needs to win Fairfield and New Haven Counties and get an expanded FB season ticket base from down state. SNY should help but it needs to be more. And for people that have to drive more than 45 minutes to a game, wins will get them in their seats more than anything else. Given how many FF County people work in NYC, that will help there.

Reaction Score
The easy stuff has already been done. If we're going to give up because something is difficult, we're in the wrong division.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
B1GOSU said:

Hey! You can't say that about the University of Southern Canada. Only, we can say that about the University of Southern Canada.

Reaction Score
All I mentioned was NYC, but even in NYC, interest in college sports is minimal. In terms of upstate, I have lived all over upstate, and I don't see the fervor for Syracuse outside CNY. It's definitely not here in Buffalo though there was a little more of it in Rochester. By the way, SUNY-Buffalo is claiming that it is the New York state school. And that claim has about as much draw as Syracuse's claim. Not much.
Nor even here in Albany where I see more State U sticker's from UConn and NJ and block R's, Siena, UA than SU symbols or apparel. Maybe because like upstater says most of there students seem to come from downstate NJ and LI but the disparity in numbers is overwhelming !?!

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Off the Jersey Turnpike, kind of hidden around the Rutgers exit. I happened to be looking left going south and caught a glimpse.
I've been using 202/31 or 206 until Trenton so that's why I missed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom