New Upload: 4/2/1995 - UConn vs. Tennessee (National Championship) | The Boneyard

New Upload: 4/2/1995 - UConn vs. Tennessee (National Championship)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Connecticut team had outstanding players, but in women's basketball, that's not enough. This game, much more than men's, is a team game. And the Huskies played together so well they won a national championship without losing a game all season.

Connecticut's 70-64 victory over Tennessee Sunday in the final of the National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament here was truly the crowning glory of a 35-0 season. It was a tribute to Geno Auriemma, a coach who recruited good but not always top-level players. He made them better and made them realize that a team that plays together wins together.

In a sport played without Jordanesque flying dunks but that showcases classic strategy, UConn proved just what the right combination of team play and talent can do. And with so many weapons, UConn's best players willingly sacrificed. For example, Rebecca Lobo, the 6-foot-4-inch all-America forward/center, may have been the player of the year, but double-team her and you opened up the offense for Kara Wolters, the 6-7 center, or Jen Rizzotti, the 5-5 all-America point guard, or someone else who stepped up.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/04/sports/college-basketball-connecticut-found-the-perfect-mix.html

Watch the game here (scroll down to find available videos): http://uconnhuskygames.com/1994-1995-womens-basketball-game-replays/

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Interesting look at the post-1995 future in that article:

Next year, the UConn team will be different. Lobo and Webber, the four-year backbones, will be gone.

But UConn may also have the best recruiting class in the nation -- four exceptional high school players (6-3 Tammy Arnold, 6-0 Amy Duran, 5-10 Courtney Gaine and 5-10 Amy Hughes), a transfer from Arizona (6-1 Sarah Northway) and a junior college transfer (5-6 Rita Williams).

Those players didn't quite add up to a "best in the nation" recruiting class, and Geno's other prediction in the article (that Nykesha Sales would be the star of the 2000 USA Olympic team) didn't quite pan out either. But UConn did OK anyway.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Thank you so much for this website. It's made my maternity leave amazing :) Not that having a daughter wasn't amazing enough....never to early to teach her about the best basketball program in history!
Is she being recruited yet? Never too early to start getting all that stuff lined up.

And yeah, amazing site, and thank you thank you thank you tcf for the access to 1995.

Reaction Score
Wow great memories here..... i remember Rebecca being in foul trouble early, but had forgotten about Rizzotti and Wolters

What a battle

Reaction Score
Is she being recruited yet? Never too early to start getting all that stuff lined up.

I'm awaiting confirmation that the SEC has already called NCAA on Geno.

I love this website. Bless all of you who are adding these great games. Thanks x10000000

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Is there any way you can put up the game from today against Memphis? I don't get that channel and it wasn't streamed :( would REALLY appreciate it!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Is there any way you can put up the game from today against Memphis? I don't get that channel and it wasn't streamed :( would REALLY appreciate it!

They'll put it up. I don't get CBS Sports either and they put up the Tulane game that was shown on there. Might have to wait a few days though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom