New UNC player revelations | The Boneyard

New UNC player revelations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Former UNC defensive lineman Tydreke Powell says that Butch Davis told football players if you care about academics you should have gone to Harvard, that Roy Williams is a snake, that "If you ain't got a class with a basketball player, you better go find one. If you got one with them, you know it's an 'A.'", that "everybody knew," and that players were instructed to intentionally do poorly on a test so they could be classified as learning disabled.

CBS sports: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...eke-powell-sounds-off-on-unc-academic-scandal

Deadspin: http://deadspin.com/former-unc-player-details-academic-fraud-says-everybo-1657041495

Transcript of the interview: http://foxs.pt/1xHzpXG

NC State Pack Pride thread: http://foxs.pt/148yCGk

Reaction Score
I see Division II and annual match-ups with SCSU in its future.

Reaction Score
My fall semester of my Junior Year I took a Business Operations class (OPIM I think) in a lecture hall in Ajona with about 60 other business majors. The professor was new and carried a 'I got my PhD at Berkley so you are all below me' attitude. The first major test (3 in total for the semester, I got a 63 and I was well beyond my alcoholic first year and was serious about my grades by this point. The class average was a 58. A bunch of us tried to meet with the professor; but, she refused to talk to students in class and never showed-up for office hours. Frustrated, roughly 50 of the 60 students in class went to the Business Dean. Now, if 1 student complains about a Professor, its background noise. When 50 of 60 students in Junior level class all go to the Dean, even the administration admits there is a problem. I did not see what happened behind the scenes; but, the test score was nullified and a TA took over the class for the rest of the semester. I got a B+ in that class.

What I an getting at hear is if 1 players complains about a coach or an Athletic department, it's background noise and someone is always unhappy. But, when players across multiple spots teams and multiple graduating classes (using that term loosely in UNC's case right now) come forward along with several administrators, everyone knows that there is problem. It's turning into an avalanche in Chapel Hill right now. My best guess is that alumni (especially key donors), current students, and politicians in Raleigh eventually agree that Chapel Hills is a mess and their weight pulls the Athletic Department's head out of the sand and a housing cleaning is conducted, with or without the NCAA's involvement. The AD is toast. The football staff will be gutted. Williams will try to hold until the end of the season so he can retire with 'dignity;' but, I don't think he will make it. There is simply too much at stake for UNC right now.

Reaction Score
Former UNC defensive lineman Tydreke Powell says that Butch Davis told football players if you care about academics you should have gone to Harvard, that Roy Williams is a snake, that "If you ain't got a class with a basketball player, you better go find one. If you got one with them, you know it's an 'A.'", that "everybody knew," and that players were instructed to intentionally do poorly on a test so they could be classified as learning disabled.

CBS sports: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...eke-powell-sounds-off-on-unc-academic-scandal

Deadspin: http://deadspin.com/former-unc-player-details-academic-fraud-says-everybo-1657041495

Transcript of the interview: http://foxs.pt/1xHzpXG

NC State Pack Pride thread: http://foxs.pt/148yCGk
Inspirational, heart warming. Maybe they will make it a made-for-TV Christmas special.

Reaction Score
My fall semester of my Junior Year I took a Business Operations class (OPIM I think) in a lecture hall in Ajona with about 60 other business majors. The professor was new and carried a 'I got my PhD at Berkley so you are all below me' attitude. The first major test (3 in total for the semester, I got a 63 and I was well beyond my alcoholic first year and was serious about my grades by this point. The class average was a 58. A bunch of us tried to meet with the professor; but, she refused to talk to students in class and never showed-up for office hours. Frustrated, roughly 50 of the 60 students in class went to the Business Dean. Now, if 1 student complains about a Professor, its background noise. When 50 of 60 students in Junior level class all go to the Dean, even the administration admits there is a problem. I did not see what happened behind the scenes; but, the test score was nullified and a TA took over the class for the rest of the semester. I got a B+ in that class.

What I an getting at hear is if 1 players complains about a coach or an Athletic department, it's background noise and someone is always unhappy. But, when players across multiple spots teams and multiple graduating classes (using that term loosely in UNC's case right now) come forward along with several administrators, everyone knows that there is problem. It's turning into an avalanche in Chapel Hill right now. My best guess is that alumni (especially key donors), current students, and politicians in Raleigh eventually agree that Chapel Hills is a mess and their weight pulls the Athletic Department's head out of the sand and a housing cleaning is conducted, with or without the NCAA's involvement. The AD is toast. The football staff will be gutted. Williams will try to hold until the end of the season so he can retire with 'dignity;' but, I don't think he will make it. There is simply too much at stake for UNC right now.
As sad as it is, we all know in time this will blow over. If PSU is already bowl eligible, the shelf-life on this stuff does not exceed that of the human attention span. Not good. PSU should not even have a football program. Sadly it's always about money and there is a lot of it riding on UNC.

Reaction Score
Uconn had a Pharmacy 100 Toxicology class. It was abbreviated PHRM100. All other pharmacy classes were PHA. Needless to say, Pharmacy Students were not allowed in Tox for Jocks.

Reaction Score
"People have been saying all kinds of things about who I'm talking to about positions and this sports stuff, and they name names of people who I have no idea who they are. I've really learned that this whole athletic sphere and the usual way you approach things just doesn't work. It's just a crazed or irrational approach that the world and the media takes to athletics decisions. It's a time sink."

Mark Schlissel, UofM president, regarding AD search.

pj

Reaction Score
"People have been saying all kinds of things about who I'm talking to about positions and this sports stuff, and they name names of people who I have no idea who they are. I've really learned that this whole athletic sphere and the usual way you approach things just doesn't work. It's just a crazed or irrational approach that the world and the media takes to athletics decisions. It's a time sink."

Mark Schlissel, UofM president, regarding AD search.

That's going to give Wolverine sports fans a nice warm feeling about the future of their athletics.

Reaction Score
That's going to give Wolverine sports fans a nice warm feeling about the future of their athletics.
Agreed. Sounds like he just might like to put the 'student' back in 'student-athlete.' Not an entirely bad idea, all things considered.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As I noted above, the real question is how the NCAA can survive this. They ignored the scandal until whistleblowers and the report forced them to act. They seemed to worried about sanctioning UNC but they should be more worried about not sanctioning them. Academics integrity of student athletes (and NCAA created phrase) is a core job for them. If they refuse to act regarding this case, they lost the core reason why schools allow them to take millions of dollars annually, primarily from March Madness. It's time for the current regime to end in my view.

Reaction Score
As sad as it is, we all know in time this will blow over. If PSU is already bowl eligible, the shelf-life on this stuff does not exceed that of the human attention span. Not good. PSU should not even have a football program. Sadly it's always about money and there is a lot of it riding on UNC.

What happened at Penn St was horrific. That said, it was a criminal matter that the NCAA should never have been involved with as the NCAA is not a state of federal institution that has the power to conduct criminal cases. That's why the NCAA backed off and let Pennsylvania keep the $60 million fine because it has no legal authority to take what amounts to $60 million in public money from a state entity. It's also why the penalty period was reduced because the NCAA legal bigwigs realized that gold old Mark Emmert went to far to get his 15 second of fame and blood. Not saying Penn St did deserve what happen; but, the courts should have been the ones to prosecute them, not the NCAA.

As for UNC normally I would agree that it would be swept under the rug. But, now there are thousands of impacted students student athletes and it is only a matter of time before a class action lawsuit is filed. Once the happens, the courts become involved and courts can subpoena folks that have to date refused to cooperate with any of the investigations to talk. That is going to expose a lot of dirt under that rug. The moment Coach Williams and potentially many of the UNC staff plead the 5th to avoid self-incrimination, their careers are over and quiet possibly, the entire UNC athletic department. Plus, the regional accreditation board is now involved yet again and any negative ruling form them can hit UNC's academic and financial standings. Between lawsuits, which UNC is going to want to avoid no matter what, and accreditation threats, best guess is that UNC bites the bullet, pays out major money to settle any class action suit in advance of any trial and guts the athletic department. Basically a case of cutting off its own arm to save it's life.

Reaction Score
I disagree on PSU. The athletic department was culpable in the crimes and deserved a penalty in addition to the penalties imposed in court.
I disagree. How is the athletic department culpable? And, please articulate exactly for what crimes. Thanks to the crack reporting done early on in the case, I think when people talk about the PSU incident, they envision a child rape factory with young boys being paraded in and out of those locker room showers while Paterno et al watched and cheered on Sandusky.

PSU got hammered because of the 2001 shower incident that was supposedly covered up by Paterno, the AD, school president, and the VP of finance, after McQueary, an assistant coach, walked in on Sandusky and a young boy in the shower. This is where the story falls apart. McQueary first said he did nothing to stop it, then when he was called out for not stopping a child rape in progress, he then copped to the "c'mon guys you know me" and stated he broke it up by slamming his locker. After witnessing a child being raped by Sandusky, what does he do? Slams his locker and walks out. Doesn't call the cops, doesn't attempt to intervene, and goes home and tells his Dad and doctor friend that he did not witness a rape. Then he goes to Paterno the next day and tells him he saw something, but admits to not telling him it was a rape out of respect for his coach. Paterno then puts McQueary in touch with those in charge, namely the athletic director. McQueary tells his story to the AD and the VP of finance who is the head administrator for the police department. A few weeks later Paterno asks McQueary if everything was OK with the resolution to the matter. McQueary is later seen golfing with Sandusky and consulting him about recruits.

During the trial McQueary admitted he only heard what he thought was something sexual in nature and didn't (and physically couldn't) see anything directly because of the layout of the locker room. The school administrators all claim what was described to them was horseplay in the showers. Would you really expect them to conduct a Warren Commission level investigation for what was likely described to them as goofing around in the shower? Their stories have never changed. You can't say the same thing for McQueary. McQueary's behavior is unlike that of someone who witnessed something as horrible as a child rape. In the end, Sandusky was acquitted of the rape charge, but was convicted on charges of indecent assault, child endangerment, and unlawful contact with a minor (your basic throw as many charges and see what sticks prosecution). The State still hasn't tried the three school administrators for the conspiracy and cover up three years on, and my guess is never will. Those charges will be quietly dropped early next year for lack of evidence. Oh yeah, one of the prosecutors for the case said there was no evidence that Paterno attempted to cover up the incident, but Paterno was crucified for not doing enough because he only followed university policy which clearly stated that the course of action was to report the incident to his supervisor.

Last week the NCAA's internal communications were made public. What do they reveal? First that if the rules and enforcement channel of the NCAA were followed there was little chance that PSU was going to be penalized because no rules had been broken. Second, the NCAA saw this is as an opportunity for good publicity and saw the school as vulnerable and willing to agree to anything because they were so embarrassed by what had happened. Finally, the NCAA admitted that the cover up did not provide a competitive advantage because even after the Sandusky story broke, PSU has been landing good recruiting classes. Ironically, the NCAA in August published its own guidelines for dealing with abuse cases and they basically state to do what Paterno did: report it to the appropriate campus offices and then not to interfere, direct, manage, or control any subsequent investigation. Apparently Paterno did do enough.

So, to recap, everyone wanted to nuke Penn State because of a dubious report that Sandusky may have inappropriately touched a boy while showering, mind you the actual boy was not involved in the trial so it was basically McQueary's "I heard slapping sounds in the shower" versus Sandusky's word, Paterno actually did what he was supposed to in order to protect all parties involved and the investigation, and the school administrators that did the covering up have never been convicted of those crimes that the NCAA says they committed. And stripping wins back to 1998 because the police and district attorney refused to prosecute the initial complaint against Sandusky? Yeah, that's all PSU's fault too I guess. The NCAA was so scared about what went on behind the scenes they capitulated on the monetary fine and rolled back almost all of the sanctions telling the judge that now that they got rid of the sanctions there now was no longer a need for the lawsuits to move forward. Too bad the judge disagreed. Based on the little taste of emails we got last week, I can only wonder what else they are hiding in the stuff that was redacted. The school which had for the most part played along has now been forced into a position of "considering its options." It's about to get ugly for the NCAA, I think. My only question is who sells who out first once Emmert and company are squirming on the witness stand. You just know those weasels that run the NCAA will be out to save their own skin, so it'll be interesting to see what comes out of that, and the best part is it will be on the public record with no way to spin or deny it or hide behind a podium where you get to not answer the questions you don't like - the judge probably won't go for that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I felt Sandusky used his access and previous position to gain access. I believe Paterno knew about the shower incident and decided to keep a cover on it. You can write a 10 page response but I see it differently.

Reaction Score
Inspirational, heart warming. Maybe they will make it a made-for-TV Christmas special.[/QUmi

That would be one hell of a sequel to Polar Express!!! I doubt they could get Tom Hanks for voice-overs...

Reaction Score
I disagree. How is the athletic department culpable? And, please articulate exactly for what crimes. Thanks to the crack reporting done early on in the case, I think when people talk about the PSU incident, they envision a child rape factory with young boys being paraded in and out of those locker room showers while Paterno et al watched and cheered on Sandusky.

PSU got hammered because of the 2001 shower incident that was supposedly covered up by Paterno, the AD, school president, and the VP of finance, after McQueary, an assistant coach, walked in on Sandusky and a young boy in the shower. This is where the story falls apart. McQueary first said he did nothing to stop it, then when he was called out for not stopping a child rape in progress, he then copped to the "c'mon guys you know me" and stated he broke it up by slamming his locker. After witnessing a child being raped by Sandusky, what does he do? Slams his locker and walks out. Doesn't call the cops, doesn't attempt to intervene, and goes home and tells his Dad and doctor friend that he did not witness a rape. Then he goes to Paterno the next day and tells him he saw something, but admits to not telling him it was a rape out of respect for his coach. Paterno then puts McQueary in touch with those in charge, namely the athletic director. McQueary tells his story to the AD and the VP of finance who is the head administrator for the police department. A few weeks later Paterno asks McQueary if everything was OK with the resolution to the matter. McQueary is later seen golfing with Sandusky and consulting him about recruits.

During the trial McQueary admitted he only heard what he thought was something s e xual in nature and didn't (and physically couldn't) see anything directly because of the layout of the locker room. The school administrators all claim what was described to them was horseplay in the showers. Would you really expect them to conduct a Warren Commission level investigation for what was likely described to them as goofing around in the shower? Their stories have never changed. You can't say the same thing for McQueary. McQueary's behavior is unlike that of someone who witnessed something as horrible as a child rape. In the end, Sandusky was acquitted of the rape charge, but was convicted on charges of indecent assault, child endangerment, and unlawful contact with a minor (your basic throw as many charges and see what sticks prosecution). The State still hasn't tried the three school administrators for the conspiracy and cover up three years on, and my guess is never will. Those charges will be quietly dropped early next year for lack of evidence. Oh yeah, one of the prosecutors for the case said there was no evidence that Paterno attempted to cover up the incident, but Paterno was crucified for not doing enough because he only followed university policy which clearly stated that the course of action was to report the incident to his supervisor.

Last week the NCAA's internal communications were made public. What do they reveal? First that if the rules and enforcement channel of the NCAA were followed there was little chance that PSU was going to be penalized because no rules had been broken. Second, the NCAA saw this is as an opportunity for good publicity and saw the school as vulnerable and willing to agree to anything because they were so embarrassed by what had happened. Finally, the NCAA admitted that the cover up did not provide a competitive advantage because even after the Sandusky story broke, PSU has been landing good recruiting classes. Ironically, the NCAA in August published its own guidelines for dealing with abuse cases and they basically state to do what Paterno did: report it to the appropriate campus offices and then not to interfere, direct, manage, or control any subsequent investigation. Apparently Paterno did do enough.

So, to recap, everyone wanted to nuke Penn State because of a dubious report that Sandusky may have inappropriately touched a boy while showering, mind you the actual boy was not involved in the trial so it was basically McQueary's "I heard slapping sounds in the shower" versus Sandusky's word, Paterno actually did what he was supposed to in order to protect all parties involved and the investigation, and the school administrators that did the covering up have never been convicted of those crimes that the NCAA says they committed. And stripping wins back to 1998 because the police and district attorney refused to prosecute the initial complaint against Sandusky? Yeah, that's all PSU's fault too I guess. The NCAA was so scared about what went on behind the scenes they capitulated on the monetary fine and rolled back almost all of the sanctions telling the judge that now that they got rid of the sanctions there now was no longer a need for the lawsuits to move forward. Too bad the judge disagreed. Based on the little taste of emails we got last week, I can only wonder what else they are hiding in the stuff that was redacted. The school which had for the most part played along has now been forced into a position of "considering its options." It's about to get ugly for the NCAA, I think. My only question is who sells who out first once Emmert and company are squirming on the witness stand. You just know those weasels that run the NCAA will be out to save their own skin, so it'll be interesting to see what comes out of that, and the best part is it will be on the public record with no way to spin or deny it or hide behind a podium where you get to not answer the questions you don't like - the judge probably won't go for that.

Hoops Fan. Thank you for your incredible post. As a PSU Grad it is rewarding to read an unbiased and incredibly well versed take on this sad chapter of my university's history.

The crimes Jerry perpetrated were undoubtedly tragic. They destroyed the lives of many people, the least of which were former coaches and administrators. That being said this only became an athletics issue, because members of our own board including the former Governor of PA saw to it that it was.

They knew that if the public's attention was fixed on Paterno/PSU Football then it would remain far away from where it truly belonged. Entities like The Second Mile, The State AG's Office, and Children and Youth Services have gone mostly unscathed to date. Will they ever face legitimate investigation? TBD.

Over the next year it will be very eye opening for a lot of people that lack the critical thinking skills you possess. The fix has been in from day one. Lord Emmert in his desire to play the heavy against PSU may have set the NCAA on a course spiraling toward its own irrelevancy. The emails that have been released to date make the NCAA look manipulative and Draconian in their actions. The treasure trove of emails yet to be released will ultimately cost Emmert his job, and potentialy alter The NCAA that we all know and hate hopefully for the better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I felt Sandusky used his access and previous position to gain access. I believe Paterno knew about the shower incident and decided to keep a cover on it. You can write a 10 page response but I see it differently.
Of course Paterno knew about the shower incident. He said as much in the grand jury. Not really sure how you get that he decided to keep a cover on it when he was the one that got the investigative ball rolling in the first place. Also, when are charges going to be brought against the person or person(s) that "accidentally" posted the grand jury presentment, and then pulled it back just quick enough for all the media to download it? There's a reason presentments aren't released to the public, and what you saw happen to PSU and those involved is why. I am certain Sandusky didn't get an entirely fair trial. No juror was going to be unbiased, and his lawyer was the equivalent of the public defender from My Cousin Vinny. Sandusky had access to the facilities because that was part of his retirement package. He didn't need to use his previous position or his special powers of mind control to gain access. It was spelled out in a contract signed, sealed, and delivered by his former employer: The State of Pennsylvania.

By the way, 1 in 6 boys before the age of 18 are sexually abused. Based on these statistics alone, one of your friends, family members, co-workers, or neighbors likely abuses one of their children. Why aren't you doing more to help them? I mean, aren't the signs obvious when someone is a pedophile or when a child has been abused? You expected a 75 year old football coach to be the judge, jury, and executioner, so why shouldn't you be held to the same standard?

Reaction Score
You have no idea who I am and what I have done, mr judge and jury. For the record I have contacted DCF as has my daughter who is a nurse. Yes I expected a a 75 year control freak to step up and take action. He should have done more. Are you related to Paterno?

Reaction Score
Hoops Fan. Thank you for your incredible post. As a PSU Grad it is rewarding to read an unbiased and incredibly well versed take on this sad chapter of my university's history.

The crimes Jerry perpetrated were undoubtedly tragic. They destroyed the lives of many people, the least of which were former coaches and administrators. That being said this only became an athletics issue, because members of our own board including the former Governor of PA saw to it that it was.

They knew that if the public's attention was fixed on Paterno/PSU Football then it would remain far away from where it truly belonged. Entities like The Second Mile, The State AG's Office, and Children and Youth Services have gone mostly unscathed to date. Will they ever face legitimate investigation? TBD.

Over the next year it will be very eye opening for a lot of people that lack the critical thinking skills you possess. The fix has been in from day one. Lord Emmert in his desire to play the heavy against PSU may have set the NCAA on a course spiraling toward its own irrelevancy. The emails that have been released to date make the NCAA look manipulative and Draconian in their actions. The treasure trove of emails yet to be released will ultimately cost Emmert his job, and potentialy alter The NCAA that we all know and hate hopefully for the better.

When I first heard Emmert speak about this three years ago, I remember him saying that he didn't think there were any NCAA bylaws that addressed these events. My recollection is that Emmert himself decided on the penalty, instead of having this go through the Infractions Committee, as is the case for most major violations. In order for this to happen, PSU had to agree to this. In fact, they accepted the penalty without appealing.

I don't think this will lead to Emmert being removed. However, if I'm wrong, I won't be disappointed. To put it nicely, the NCAA needs a change in its leadership.

Reaction Score
I disagree on PSU. The athletic department was culpable in the crimes and deserved a penalty in addition to the penalties imposed in court.
I was shocked the NCAA brought the hammer on PSU. There were no recruiting violations, no improper benefits, no academic impropieties. You know all the stuff the NCAA is involved with. We see now, that the NCAA used PSU's shame against them.
All of the PSU stuff was criminal. Should have been handled by the courts and those involved in the cover up should have been prosecuted.

Now the NCAA should have asked PSU to impose its own athletic penalties as a show of remorse but they went too far. Yet on the UNC stuff, they already once declared that since the sham classes were not available to athletes excusively, it is not a matter for the NCAA to investigate. The sheet is broke.

Reaction Score
I was shocked the NCAA brought the hammer on PSU. There were no recruiting violations, no improper benefits, no academic impropieties. You know all the stuff the NCAA is involved with. We see now, that the NCAA used PSU's shame against them.
All of the PSU stuff was criminal. Should have been handled by the courts and those involved in the cover up should have been prosecuted.

Now the NCAA should have asked PSU to impose its own athletic penalties as a show of remorse but they went too far. Yet on the UNC stuff, they already once declared that since the sham classes were not available to athletes excusively, it is not a matter for the NCAA to investigate. The sheet is broke.
Who will hold UNC responsible, and through which body? Which body will dole out punishment? Which body will enforce said punishment?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would be SHOCKED if UNC gets a harsher penalty than what UCONN received for missing a silly APR metric (1 year postseason ban, loss of scholarship, eased transfer rules for kids who want out). Not because what I think is going on/went on at UNC isn't absolutely disturbing. But because I have no idea just how much authority the NCAA holds over its member institutions any more. Time and time and time again we have seen the NCAA take the fetal position. I expect this (and Syracuse, FSU, whoever else) to be no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom