New TV streaming service will include ESPN | The Boneyard

New TV streaming service will include ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Dish Network is going to launch an internet streaming live TV service called Sling TV. $20 / month, with no contract and interestingly it will include ESPN and ESPN2.

CNet Article

From the sound of it this service is aimed at folks who have already been cable cutters, they cite specifically millenials. My hunch is their market analysis says that this will tap into those consumers rather than prompt cable customers to switch. I personally might be hesitant to switch since a significant number of UConn BB/FB games are on SNY and CBSSN, but I'd think about it.

Reaction Score
I just switched from Frontier for a combination of Direct TV and Cox for phone and internet. The frontier internet has really gone to sheet since the switch from Att UVerse. Every day I'm getting closer to fully cutting the cord. If I didn't need the use of a fax for work, I'd switch to the Verizon 4G LTE phone and internet service for 20 bucks a month, and stream most of what I watch.

With current switch I will be saving about 90 bucks a month for the first year. Ironically, I got a sling box for Christmas and I must say I love the damn thing.

Reaction Score
For me the real question would be. If I am now paying for ESPN and ESPN 2 would that give me a provider login to use ESPN 3 on the ESPN site so i could stream UConn games. This is right up my alley if it does but if not I could care less about ESPN since the UConn content is always on 3

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
For me the real question would be. If I am now paying for ESPN and ESPN 2 would that give me a provider login to use ESPN 3 on the ESPN site so i could stream UConn games. This is right up my alley if it does but if not I could care less about ESPN since the UConn content is always on 3

Yes, you would. My cable package only has ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNW and I can stream ESPN3 games. What it won't let you stream is ESPN channels that you don't have on your cable lineup. For example, I don't have ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, or SEC on my cable TV lineup so I can't watch anything on those channels when I stream.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I have been on the cord cutting pendulum for years now. I got an Amazon Fire Stick for Christmas and it's helping the pendulum swing towards the scissors. I'm willing to stream sports on those less-than-reliable sites but am really worried about spam and malware downloads.

As soon as ESPN and other sports channels agree to sell their content directly to consumers, I'm out. But I think that would go for millions of other consumers too. I just have to sack up one of these days, cut that cord, and figure out a way to watch/stream games I'm interested in.

Reaction Score
I got one of those android TV boxes from eBay for fifty bucks. You can stream from the less than reliable sites as well as from legit sites like Netflix. Still learning it, but through xbmc found an ESPN 3 app that did not require that you register a cable provider. It was HD quality only down side was that it didn't have all the ESPN 3 content you find on the legit app or website.

Reaction Score
Meant to add:

It's not your PC but it is on your network/WiFi. Don't know if that makes you just as susceptible to attacks or not.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I just switched from Frontier for a combination of Direct TV and Cox for phone and internet. The frontier internet has really gone to sheet since the switch from Att UVerse. Every day I'm getting closer to fully cutting the cord. If I didn't need the use of a fax for work, I'd switch to the Verizon 4G LTE phone and internet service for 20 bucks a month, and stream most of what I watch.

With current switch I will be saving about 90 bucks a month for the first year. Ironically, I got a sling box for Christmas and I must say I love the damn thing.
A fax? What's a fax grandpa?

Reaction Score
I'm only 39, but I need the fax for work. The people I send faxes to really don't leave me with much of a choice. I hear you can fax document from your PC or laptop to a fax number but Ive tried and been unsuccessful.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
For those of you with families, what's more expensive - your monthly combined cell phone bill or your cable bill? There are a lot of complaints about higher cable fees but I would imagine that everyone on this site pays exponentially greater for their cell than cable over the past 10 years.

Reaction Score
They were about the same truthfully. About 224 a month for UVerse TV, phone, and internet and about 210 month for Verizon cell phone for my wife, self, and mother in law sharing 6 gigs. We need to get down to Verizon as we can bring that cost down significantly.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We pay about $230 for cell phones - that's four smartphones, one dumb phone and either one or two iPads sharing unlimited minutes and 30 gigs of data. Our cable/internet/landline is about $125 a month, but I call and threaten to walk every time they try to raise it.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
We pay about $230 for cell phones - that's four smartphones, one dumb phone and either one or two iPads sharing unlimited minutes and 30 gigs of data. Our cable/internet/landline is about $125 a month, but I call and threaten to walk every time they try to raise it.

AT&T? I have 4 iPhones and a Mifi on Verizon and I'm at $300 with less data than you have. I need Verizon due to service at our vacation home. I can't believe that my cost hasn't come down to about $200 by now but they seem to hold pretty firm on price.

Reaction Score
Cut the cord a couple years ago. pretty much only miss ESPN. But I still can't understand the anger at the cable co's and not Cell phones. I would have thought there would be a rebellion against the insane cost of cell service. They are essentially selling you nothing for a huge fee and they do it twice with the access charge and the bandwidth charge. It's the biggest scam going yet we all do it. My youngest wanted a cell phone but she never leaves wifi range with it so I gave her my old droid smartphone after my last upgrade and have it only set up for wifi only with no plan and a Google phone number with a phone app. It works great and she can play her Minecraft too and still call mom when she needs to. it's free

junglehusky

Reaction Score
For cell phone I switched to Republic Wireless, which offloads bandwidth to WiFi via some proprietary software. It's worked pretty well though I had an issue with some outgoing calls not connecting where I had to contact their tech support via web, but it was resolved in a few hours. I use WiFi + 3G which is $25/month, if you don't need 3G it's cheaper and if you need 4G it's $40 month, and switching between plans is easy. 3G is sufficient for streaming spotify in the car, and most of the day I'm near home or work WiFi so this does save a bundle. No family plans, but at that price do you really need one? Only downside is you can't bring your own phone, but the unlocked MotoX they offer is a very good phone and substantially less expensive than say, an unlocked Galaxy.

Reaction Score
I have been on the cord cutting pendulum for years now. I got an Amazon Fire Stick for Christmas and it's helping the pendulum swing towards the scissors. I'm willing to stream sports on those less-than-reliable sites but am really worried about spam and malware downloads.

As soon as ESPN and other sports channels agree to sell their content directly to consumers, I'm out. But I think that would go for millions of other consumers too. I just have to sack up one of these days, cut that cord, and figure out a way to watch/stream games I'm interested in.
I cut the chord a year ago. I have a bar down the street that has ESPN and SNY. I simply go there to watch the games and what is really cool, the money I would spend on my cable bill for each of those months goes right to the beer money. The other 6 months that I don't care about sports, I save the money. It works well for now. And no I don't see every basketball game but I wouldn't be able to anyway not with a 3 year old at home.

Reaction Score
A fax? What's a fax grandpa?
It is a convenient way of sending a document without having to use a computer, scanner, printer. There are still many businesses that use fax machines for ease of use. Your day will come sonny boy.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
It is a convenient way of sending a document without having to use a computer, scanner, printer. There are still many businesses that use fax machines for ease of use. Your day will come sonny boy.
I'm about the same age as noeynox. I should have included a :p.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
A little more info:

What happens if people really sign up for this in big numbers? After all, the four programmers Dish has signed on for this package — Disney, Turner, Scripps and A&E — are all full-fledged members of the TV Industrial Complex and have made a very good living in the old paradigm, where people pay a bunch of money for a bunch of networks, whether or not they watch them. Wouldn’t the success of Sling TV threaten their existing business? Dish, for its part, insists that it plans to sign up “millions” of people for the new service. But sources say ESPN has a clause that gives it the ability to get out of Sling TV if the service signs up a certain number of subscribers, precisely for that reason; I’m assuming the other programmers have one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom