New positions for some | The Boneyard

New positions for some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not including the coaching staff... Matt Walsh to LB. He played both ways in HS, but I thought he was better on defense. Steve Hashemi from TE to OL. Might make a good LT if he can add some weight. Both sounds positive to me. I'll also say I think the coaching staff is sounding like a nice tight-knit group. Let's hope the cohesion carries over to the players.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
not including the coaching staff... Matt Walsh to LB. He played both ways in HS, but I thought he was better on defense. Steve Hashemi from TE to OL. Might make a good LT if he can add some weight. Both sounds positive to me. I'll also say I think the coaching staff is sounding like a nice tight-knit group. Let's hope the cohesion carries over to the players.

As someone who saw Walsh in high school a few times. I never understood his being moved to fullback when he hit like a brick house. I have to think he is in the mix for a inside linebacker job this fall.

Reaction Score
why not? if it makes sense, and he can make more of an impact at ILB (after being on offense for 2 years) I'm all for it..

Reaction Score
As someone who saw Walsh in high school a few times. I never understood his being moved to fullback when he hit like a brick house. I have to think he is in the mix for a inside linebacker job this fall.

From a Jeff Jacobs article in the Courant 10/18/12, Filippone was his H.S. coach.

"Although Walsh is essentially a part-time offensive player at Hand, Filippone is in agreement with UConn's decision to recruit him as a fullback. "No question," said Filippone. "He is fast enough, certainly tough enough for fullback. He'll weigh 235 to 240 by the time he gets up there. I don't know if he's flat-out fast enough at linebacker, he's a 4.7 [in the 40] type kid. They want those linebackers to cover guys out of the backfield and down field. He may not be able to do that. I will say that if they're in a pinch for a linebacker he's where I'd start looking. At I-AA, he could definitely play linebacker.""

Reaction Score
the defensive philosophy (and offensive philosophy) is all different for us now.. not to mention, he's in his 3rd year here and is probably more athletic than when he first got here..

JJ's article made sense back then but not now...

Reaction Score
the defensive philosophy (and offensive philosophy) is all different for us now.. not to mention, he's in his 3rd year here and is probably more athletic than when he first got here..

JJ's article made sense back then but not now...

Well, everyone's players are more athletic than than when they first got there. So if there was a speed issue then, there may still be a speed issue now. HOWEVER, instincts can make up for speed (as long as a guy isn't stuck in coverage too often with a bad matchup). A first step in the right direction can make up for a difference of .44 and .47 over short distances.

If he was a great linebacker, I'm all for giving him the chance to turn back into just that. He'll probably have more impact on the game at LB than FB, hopefully, it's a positive impact.

Reaction Score
Where did Matt Walsh's brother Cory decide to go?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
From a Jeff Jacobs article in the Courant 10/18/12, Filippone was his H.S. coach.

"Although Walsh is essentially a part-time offensive player at Hand, Filippone is in agreement with UConn's decision to recruit him as a fullback. "No question," said Filippone. "He is fast enough, certainly tough enough for fullback. He'll weigh 235 to 240 by the time he gets up there. I don't know if he's flat-out fast enough at linebacker, he's a 4.7 [in the 40] type kid. They want those linebackers to cover guys out of the backfield and down field. He may not be able to do that. I will say that if they're in a pinch for a linebacker he's where I'd start looking. At I-AA, he could definitely play linebacker.""

My issue is he never got the ball at the fullback spot to show his ability. His blocking was and is okay, but nothing special. If he is going to be on the field besides special teams this is his best chance imho. Plus he is a down hill type linebacker who can fill and take on a lineman.

Reaction Score
My issue is he never got the ball at the fullback spot to show his ability. His blocking was and is okay, but nothing special. If he is going to be on the field besides special teams this is his best chance imho. Plus he is a down hill type linebacker who can fill and take on a lineman.

If he truly runs a 4.7ish forty, he falls well within the range of times generated by ILB's at last year's combine. The best I saw was 4.65. The best OLB time was BC's Kevin Pierre-Paul at 4.51. He played at King School in Stamford with Silas Redd.

Reaction Score
I remember him being a terrific defensive player too, that's why that article stood out in my mind. Seems the new staff likes him very much according to that Runway article in the 2015 Roster thread.

Reaction Score
Does Walsh moving to defense open up the possibility of Max taking reps at FB?
I believe I saw this question was asked at media day. The response from coaches mentioned some two back sets where Max is in the backfield with a RB. So I would say yes it does offer some more versatility and we could see Max in two back sets.

Of course it is only February so a lot can change between now and then.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Does Walsh moving to defense open up the possibility of Max taking reps at FB?
I could well be wrong here but from the way they appear to be staffing the roster I believe we are moving towards primarily two TE's and no FB. Clax will likely be the only FB we see over the next couple of seasons and once he is gone, we will be fully two TE (with a stray 3+ wr thrown in) offense.

Reaction Score
I think it would be a good idea to add more speed at line backer for next year. Stewart lining up to 'blitz' didn't exactly throw the defense off.... I keep seeing comments on angles but honestly we looked VERY slow at that position... we need a LB who can can cover a lot of ground and for rare Diaco blitz to keep opposing QB's honest like Smallwood did. Its as critical as finding a solid QB for this up coming season IMO

Reaction Score
Forte said:
I think it would be a good idea to add more speed at line backer for next year. Stewart lining up to 'blitz' didn't exactly throw the defense off.... I keep seeing comments on angles but honestly we looked VERY slow at that position... we need a LB who can can cover a lot of ground and for rare Diaco blitz to keep opposing QB's honest like Smallwood did. Its as critical as finding a solid QB for this up coming season IMO

It's why I was hoping Obi would be moved to OLB. We have huge issues both rushing the passer and setting the edge at OLB. Junior Joseph runs around like a bull in a china shop, but his explosiveness stands out in games. If he can just play a little more under control, the sky is the limit.

I think with the move of Walsh to LB, Stewart should be moved to fullback. He doesn't have the instincts for linebacker, but when he is in the right spot, he punishes ball carriers. Put him him on O and let him punish linebackers. Utilize him as an h back.

Reaction Score
It's why I was hoping Obi would be moved to OLB. We have huge issues both rushing the passer and setting the edge at OLB. Junior Joseph runs around like a bull in a china shop, but his explosiveness stands out in games. If he can just play a little more under control, the sky is the limit.

I think with the move of Walsh to LB, Stewart should be moved to fullback. He doesn't have the instincts for linebacker, but when he is in the right spot, he punishes ball carriers. Put him him on O and let him punish linebackers. Utilize him as an h back.
At least Walsh actually played offense in HS... don't remember Stewart doing it. I think Stewart and/or Walsh are best inside... and Obi on the outside might work. He has potential for that position if he gains a little more weight and muscle.

Reaction Score
At least Walsh actually played offense in HS... don't remember Stewart doing it. I think Stewart and/or Walsh are best inside... and Obi on the outside might work. He has potential for that position if he gains a little more weight and muscle.

Stewart was tried at fullback the spring before he transferred from UF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom