New Offer: 2015 SF Chris Clarke | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New Offer: 2015 SF Chris Clarke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds like a Paul Harris type player .
I'd take Kawahi Leonard (even college version) in a heart beat. Hands for days.

Maybe UCONN is are getting higher profile than we thought? If Kawahi Leonard is 'beneath' us.

Well Kawhi wasn't even good enough for a Pac 10 offer. Sometimes these super role player types are tough to project and I think we should all trust KO.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's like with women, hit on most of them and a few will say yes.

Unlike our basketball recruits, none of the ones that say yes to me are top 100...

There's always UCONN basketball my friend...

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Love the motor! But at 6'5 and not very long shouldn't we expect some offensive skills? For 15 give me enoch and a lights out shooter who can stretch the floor and im happy. Jones would be icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
Love the motor! But at 6'5 and not very long shouldn't we expect some offensive skills? For 15 give me enoch and a lights out shooter who can stretch the floor and im happy. Jones would be icing on the cake.

I'm just not sure what offensive skills he's missing in comparison to Jones? Did you see something very different in the 2 other than the fact Clarke shows some handle away from the basket and just a crazy ability to get to the rim? They are similar, one longer than the other and skinnier and being recruited but UK and other big names the other not so much. I like the one who wants to work harder for whatever reason in this one, not always, but that motor and the way he scores and then begins his sprint back on D - he's a player and he wants to play!

Reaction Score
Clarke would be a very nice fit if the rest if there are shooters around him. He has a certain toughness to him that I think will be contagious. I don't see him as a smaller Sticks though - Sticks had crazy hops and a pretty good jumper, even if it wasn't always the prettiest. I loved me some Stanley Robinson. I hate to say it, but Clarke reminds me of the kind of guys Cincy gets - tough as hell defensively, a little limited offensively, but guys you'd go to war with. If we got him, I would not be upset in the least bit. But we are after so many big fish in this class, at an unprecedented level, I think we need to let things shake out a little bit first. A Newman/Stone duo pretty much trumps all else, even if we enjoy it only for one championship year. (Give me some Steve Enoch too while we're at it).

Reaction Score
Clarke would be a very nice fit if the rest if there are shooters around him. He has a certain toughness to him that I think will be contagious. I don't see him as a smaller Sticks though - Sticks had crazy hops and a pretty good jumper, even if it wasn't always the prettiest. I loved me some Stanley Robinson. I hate to say it, but Clarke reminds me of the kind of guys Cincy gets - tough as hell defensively, a little limited offensively, but guys you'd go to war with. If we got him, I would not be upset in the least bit. But we are after so many big fish in this class, at an unprecedented level, I think we need to let things shake out a little bit first. A Newman/Stone duo pretty much trumps all else, even if we enjoy it only for one championship year. (Give me some Steve Enoch too while we're at it).
Agree with this post on every count. Really well thought out.

caw

Reaction Score
Kind of reminds me of that kid Demarre Carroll from Missouri. Or am I getting him confused with someone else on that Missouri team?

Reaction Score
I'm in the camp of "would be a nice get, but I'd rather hold out for a shooter".

We're already going into this season having lost a lot of our outside shooting production (Bazz, Giff, DD) and replacing those guys who will have a tough time replicating it (Purvis, Facey). [Daniel Hamilton has the reputation of being an excellent shooter, but we haven't seen whether it translates to the college game (lots of other guys have come in with reputations as great shooters, only to flop).]

If we load up with another non-shooter, especially at the 3, we run the risk of making it easy for the defense to become compact and deny us driving lanes. The 2010 team with Kemba (not yet a good shooter), Dyson (never a good shooter), and Sticks (inconsistent from deep) suffered this problem (among others).

Clarke sounds like maybe a rich man's Marcus Johnson which, while nice, might not be the best fit skill-wise (though it sounds like he'd be a perfect fit attitude-wise) for the roster we're building.

Reaction Score
One thing I would add is we are likely adding a lot of offensive weapons/highly regarded players (we're still doomed) so a guy like this who is all effort, all the time (willing to dive for loose balls/get 50:50 balls) and could be a point forward type is pretty intriguing.

I will be very happy if we land him but recruiting is difficult, I can understand waiting to see how it plays out. He really looks like a warrior in the videos. Agree with some questioning do we have enough shooting if DHam is gone after a year? I've seen Cassell play 3 times and he is a pure shooter but tough to guarantee how guys translate. (would expect him to be fine), not sure if Adams is a pure shooter? (more of crazy athlete I've read - but no idea) and TSam is the man but not a shooter at this point. I really think Facey will be a nice player for us by the time these recruits are wearing UConn jerseys. That would solve a lot.

Also, I wonder what his true height is?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm in the camp of "would be a nice get, but I'd rather hold out for a shooter".

We're already going into this season having lost a lot of our outside shooting production (Bazz, Giff, DD) and replacing those guys who will have a tough time replicating it (Purvis, Facey). [Daniel Hamilton has the reputation of being an excellent shooter, but we haven't seen whether it translates to the college game (lots of other guys have come in with reputations as great shooters, only to flop).]

If we load up with another non-shooter, especially at the 3, we run the risk of making it easy for the defense to become compact and deny us driving lanes. The 2010 team with Kemba (not yet a good shooter), Dyson (never a good shooter), and Sticks (inconsistent from deep) suffered this problem (among others).

Well, if we recruit a shooter, he will come in with the same unproven reputation just like Hamilton. So I don't see why that point matters so much. Hamilton, by all accounts, resembles Rip in his ability to flush the mid range J.

Are we even recruiting any lights out shooters?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Random question... just wondering what the "DOOMED" stuff is in reference to. I'm relatively new to boneyard and I see it all the time on here.

Because we are DOOOOOMED. Traditionally 5 'O's, but that seems to have fallen by the way side. @Scot-e

BTW, there's a newcomer Boneyard memes thread somewhere that explains a whole ton of common references. Don't know where it is though.

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Because we are DOOOOOMED. Traditionally 5 'O's, but that seems to have fallen by the way side. @Scot-e BTW, there's a newcomer Boneyard memes thread somewhere that explains a whole ton of common references. Don't know where it is though.

Not sure who takes the initial credit but I think it just sort of happened organically through mojo concerns. There would be a cocky poster who would insist we'll win an upcoming game (or insist we had the game locked up in the chat room when the outcome was still in doubt) and the superstitious sorts would insist such brazen optimism was an affront to the basketball gods. So they'd respond oh no, we're doomed. Dooooomed!

This would serve the dual purpose of telling the offending poster not to be so cocky, and also appeasing the basketball gods by creating a better cocky-to-reverent ratio, thus hoping they would go easy on us.

Reaction Score
I don't think Hamilton will be a one and done, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. If he leaves early, it should mean (should) that he had a monster year and is a potential first round pick. There would be no reason for him to leave without that guarantee after his freshman year. Hard to predict what Purvis will do but the same holds true for him.

Assuming they both are back, for 2015, we would have three perimeter "shooters" in Hamilton, Cassell, and Omar (remember him). Both Purvis and Adams can shoot, but are much more hybrid combo guards who can "score."T-Sam is more of the intangible glue guy, who is working on his shot, but is definitely not yet a shooter. All in all, I don't think a sharpshooter is a necessity, but wouldn't be a bad thing either. I agree that the 2010 team, and really the teams post Denham/Rashard until more recently lacked consistent depth as outside shooters. It was frustrating to watch teams zone us, and see us struggle due to a lack of outside shooting. That's my quick tangent on that..of course there are many variables to consider in constructing a team, including defense, hard work, attitude, etc..not just shooting.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not sure who takes the initial credit but I think it just sort of happened organically through mojo concerns. There would be a cocky poster who would insist we'll win an upcoming game (or insist we had the game locked up in the chat room when the outcome was still in doubt) and the superstitious sorts would insist such brazen optimism was an affront to the basketball gods. So they'd respond oh no, we're doomed. Dooooomed!

This would serve the dual purpose of telling the offending poster not to be so cocky, and also appeasing the basketball gods by creating a better cocky-to-reverent ratio, thus hoping they would go easy on us.

I don't know original credit either, but it was certainly @Scot-e ('scote' on TOB) who championed it and made it mainstream.

Reaction Score
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/21/seven-more-takeaways-from-nikes-peach-jam/

6. Chris Clarke could play for my team any day: Chris Clarke is one bad dude. The do-it-all wing is as rugged and competitive as they come and he defends and hustles for the entire game. Although his offensive arsenal isn’t advanced, Clarke gets it done by utilizing the baseline well and taking shots that are within his comfort zone. The 6-foot-6 wing isn’t as polished as some of his classmates, but he does anything that it takes to win and his skill level will only improve.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/21/seven-more-takeaways-from-nikes-peach-jam/

6. Chris Clarke could play for my team any day: Chris Clarke is one bad dude. The do-it-all wing is as rugged and competitive as they come and he defends and hustles for the entire game. Although his offensive arsenal isn’t advanced, Clarke gets it done by utilizing the baseline well and taking shots that are within his comfort zone. The 6-foot-6 wing isn’t as polished as some of his classmates, but he does anything that it takes to win and his skill level will only improve.

Ricky and Kfree must be all over this kid.

Reaction Score

That's what I'm talking about!!! ;)

Reaction Score

GLUE GUY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA