New NYT article on college football fandom by zip code (w/interactive map) | The Boneyard

New NYT article on college football fandom by zip code (w/interactive map)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The metrics and methodology are somewhat suspect (number of Facebook likes) but it's still very interesting to see some of the data (yes, I am a geek)

Some highlights I thought interesting:

Oregon controls the majority of N. California, all the way down to San Francisco

UF IS the team of Florida

Chicago is a mixing bowl of ND, Michigan, OSU, and NW

NYC is a mess with the most popular teams in a zip code (usually 'Cuse, Michigan, ND, PSU or Rutgers) getting only 10% of the likes. Michigan has a higher percentage in lower Manhattan, Midtown, and parts of Brooklyn, while ND and Syracuse also have stronger pockets as well

Virginia Tech is becoming the team in Virginia while UNC didn't rate first in any zip codes in North Carolina

Link to Article

Link to map

Reaction Score
The map is very interesting, and I was surprised about UNC not ranking in the top three in any zip code. But then I saw there was a message saying there was an error in the North Carolina data, that they are trying to fix.

Reaction Score
The map appears to be worthless....as far as watchable fan interest goes. Data is screwed up...no zip codes in North Carolina for the Tarheels? None?

Yeah, right. GIGO.

As far as national viewership (vs zip code methodology)...it was interesting to see that FSU-NC State pulled a 4.0 Neilson...best of the weekend...to go with it's 4.9 against Clemson the previous game. Two of the top pullers of the year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ratings for two games is worthless - one happens to be the top-ranked team and is therefore accorded appropriate promotion. Having the #1 next to your name sure helps ratings.

Outside of the error they've acknowledged for UNC, you'd have a very hard time mounting a coherent argument that the data in the Times' map somehow runs counter to reality. (I notice that you didn't even bother to try.)

Reaction Score
As faulty as the map may be I think it's funny that RU peaks at 44% in NJ lol

Reaction Score
Ratings for two games is worthless - one happens to be the top-ranked team and is therefore accorded appropriate promotion. Having the #1 next to your name sure helps ratings.

Outside of the error they've acknowledged for UNC, you'd have a very hard time mounting a coherent argument that the data in the Times' map somehow runs counter to reality. (I notice that you didn't even bother to try.)

Well...if you like the data based on Facebook likes...that ends the argument about Syracuse's involvement in New York.

As well as Rutgers. But I can see why NewarkNicky is a Rutgers guy...Newark is Rutgers homeboy territory.

Reaction Score
As far as national viewership (vs zip code methodology)...it was interesting to see that FSU-NC State pulled a 4.0 Neilson...best of the weekend...to go with it's 4.9 against Clemson the previous game. Two of the top pullers of the year.

ABC games have better Nielsen ratings than ESPN as a general rule (and both Clemson and NCSU were ABC games). Viewership also increased for both of these games as many started to watch because FSU was on upset alert. Don't get me wrong, FSU many times is a diamond when it comes to high profile games, but being #1 really helps too. Even Miami, with their small fan base and lack of butts in the seats at games, can yield great numbers if their games were on ABC against a team like ND, Oklahoma or USC. Heck, if Miami were #1 and playing a mediocre Boston College on ABC, those numbers would probably be high too.

As for the interactive map, I think it's not too far off in terms of what zip codes have the stronger fan bases. Although some schools like Oregon puzzle me. I attribute Oregon to the "smoke and mirrors" and "glitz" factor. It's very "now" to like Oregon these days.

Reaction Score
As for the interactive map, I think it's not too far off in terms of what zip codes have the stronger fan bases. Although some schools like Oregon puzzle me. I attribute Oregon to the "smoke and mirrors" and "glitz" factor. It's very "now" to like Oregon these days.
Loveable losers. But not now!

It's as if Washington State football had their own Phil Knight and started being top 10 all the time.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech is becoming the team in Virginia while UNC didn't rate first in any zip codes in North Carolina

Is? Has been for at least 40 years, even during UVa's Ralph Sampson years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn is huge in Colorado, apparently. Who knew?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Had no idea so many Alabamans had relocated to Alaska.

Reaction Score
Ducks fans in CO and AK. This map looks quite realistic to me. Bandwagoner galore.

The only two AAC schools that that did not rank in the top 3 in counties around them are USF and Cincinnati. Tulane, Tulsa and SMU are top 3 in some counties. Nice to see UCF grow so fast. The other schools definitely do have some potential.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99